NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

30 Day Video Game Challenge Thing.

Day 6: Most Relaxing Navigation

It's gotta be Birdman from Pilotwings 64...

Pure Tranquility

Wind Waker's sailing is a close second, but nothing quite nails the feeling of pure tranquility like flying over Little States as the Birdman :D 

• Thanks 2

A bit late like old PAL releases...

Spoiler

Super Mario World at my cousins house. Think I ended up getting a SNES with Mario All Stars the following Christmas. 

Spoiler

Yakuza 0. You're in a bar sipping some alcoholic beverage, then beating up some street thugs, then in another bar doing karaoke, then rampaging through a building beating the shit out of hundreds of thugs. It pretty much sold me on this series. :laughing:

Spoiler

Really hard to pick between Super Bomberman 3, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Perfect Dark and Mario Kart Double Dash. I think Melee gets it, spent so many weekends over my friends doing 4 player battles duing the year it came out.

Spoiler

Witcher 3's Gaunter O'Dimm. There aren't many bad guys as sinister and as manipulative as Gaunter O'Dimm, it made a really interesting DLC slowly learning his true nature.

ah81fpvnuv031.jpg

Spoiler

Banjo Kazooie. I played it a second time on Xbox 360 and it was still just as brilliant as I remembered it. As great as Mario 64 and Odyssey are, I think the humour and music of Banjo Kazooie give it the edge.

Sakura Wars - Most of the game is spent just strolling around the theatre talking to people.

Almost picked Mass Effect 1 elevators. :heh:

Edited by Mandalore
  • Thanks 2

Super Monkey Ball

Ready? Go! :D

There's something innately calming about the way in which you navigate the stages by actually tilting them in Super Monkey Ball, I can't think of any other game series which has a mechanic quite like it, or at least which is programmed in the same way. It's a game where you just know what to do immediately and it starts off by slowly introducing you to this mechanic, getting you used to it as rolling your simian in a sphere around the stage becomes a mesmerising joy.

Until you get to the nightmare stages at the end that is, then it all goes to hell. :p

Some speedrunners make even those stages look quite chilled though...

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Super Monkey Ball is the last game I would ever describe as chill; but ok!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A lot of people said it, but it's only because it's true:

ww_ns9izt.png

Wind Waker is the most relaxing navigation around. The way you prepare the trip, the way you can waltz into the horizon, let the boat move on its own while you gaze into the distance, or the world around you, or just the way the boat crosses those foamy lines... Objects in the distance are actually there, enemies and random treasure are everywhere, pirate outposts contain more meaningful rewards than most caves in other Zelda games... The way the sun sets, the way it rains, the way the ocean bobs up and down, the music... It's all so magical.

There are also all the little things that other players might call cumbersome, but for me, they only enhance the experience. For example, changing the wind direction never really bothered me, it's a bit like adjusting a sail. It's a boat, not a car, and I'm glad that doing a sharp turn is as hard as it should be. Travel with foresight. Also, having to adjust your boat and hook ever so slightly to grab any treasure, I did like that I had to keep glancing at the maps to find the right spot, want anything more adventurous than looking at a map to figure out where treasure is buried sunk? Even stuff like running into Beedle, or feeding the Men-Fish for gossip, these were wonderful touches that made any trip worthwhile.

To be honest, no other game (not even Skies of Arcadia) comes close enough to even be a runner-up here. The closest I can think of... I'll just say that Breath of the Wild is promising (it's in my shelf, I swear I'll get to it eventually), and so is Spiritfarer, an as-of-yet-unreleased game about sailing on a customizable ship with a crew (you might have seen it in the Wholesome Direct. I tried the demo for PC and I was absolutely enamoured). But for now, Wind Waker is king (of Red Lions).

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Super Monkey Ball

Ready? Go! :D

There's something innately calming about the way in which you navigate the stages by actually tilting them in Super Monkey Ball, I can't think of any other game series which has a mechanic quite like it, or at least which is programmed in the same way. It's a game where you just know what to do immediately and it starts off by slowly introducing you to this mechanic, getting you used to it as rolling your simian in a sphere around the stage becomes a mesmerising joy.

Until you get to the nightmare stages at the end that is, then it all goes to hell. :p

Some speedrunners make even those stages look quite chilled though...

This is quite possibly the most shocking thing I’ll read all week. I can think of nothing but stress when thinking about this game.

• Haha 3

RE4’s opening is a great shout and I’m shocked that nobody else mentioned it!

• Like 3

Day 7 - Favourite ranged combat.

It was close between the newer Tomb Raider games and Uncharted 4, but I just love the bow in Tomb Raider too much. It was extremely satisfying to use, to the point that I didn't want to use guns in any of the three games. Mass Effect Andromeda and Control were also pretty high up on this list - fighting in those games were a ton of fun, too.

Honorable mentions also go to Control and Mass Effect Andromeda. Both had amazingly fun combat.

p3M4LtL.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Cube said:

It was close between the newer Tomb Raider games and Uncharted 4, but I just love the bow in Tomb Raider too much. It was extremely satisfying to use, to the point that I didn't want to use guns in any of the three games. Mass Effect Andromeda and Control were also pretty high up on this list - fighting in those games were a ton of fun, too.

Honorable mentions also go to Control and Mass Effect Andromeda. Both had amazingly fun combat.

Tomb Raider, Control and ME Andromeda are great shouts.

For me, Favourite Ranged combat goes to Sunset Overdrive. I played this a year or two ago and had a brilliant time. It's always great when openworld games make traversal so much fun and this nailed that. I'm normally one of those stop or duck behind cover before using ranged weapons kind of guys but the way this game let you run around/grind while firing was great and so satisfying. Loved all the different weapons too. Then you throw in the animations and humour, and it makes my list :)

giphy.gif

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 7 - Favourite Ranged Combat

As with @Cube I was also very tempted to go with the bow and arrow from Tomb Raider but to mix it up a bit I went with the guns from Doom. The speed at which you do everything in that game works so well with the weapons and makes everything ridiculously fun. Might be time to reinstall it later.

giphy-2.gif

• Thanks 1

Favourite ranged combat

For this one, i'm going for Halo: Combat Evolved

hwuibyy7to9pnbxvvdsv.gif

Everything about the combat in this was so satisfying - releasing a fully charged plasma pistol shot; filling a jackal up with needles and watching him explode; getting a grunt headshot with the pistol; landing a grenade in amongst a group of enemies etc. Almost every fight you were in felt like an 80's action movie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

As with @Cube I was also very tempted to go with the bow and arrow from Tomb Raider but to mix it up a bit I went with the guns from Doom. The speed at which you do everything in that game works so well with the weapons and makes everything ridiculously fun. Might be time to reinstall it later.

I accidentally bought PlayStation Now a month or so ago, I think I might download Doom to give it a go.

• Like 1

Favourite Ranged Combat

My choice: The only game I've played from the Sniper Elite series: Sniper Elite 3. I'm a sucker for stealth games and the ranged combat in this is incredible. Crank up the difficulty, remove all the assists and sniping turns into a simulation.
As a bonus: X-ray kills. Quite satisfying to see a skull getting obliterated after you set up the perfect shot.

Shout out to Titanfall 2: Best FPSs there is. Ranged combat is solid but the smooth movement makes it so much better.

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

Day 7: Favourite Ranged Combat

It’s gotta be Resident Evil 4... but particularly, Resident Evil 4 Headshot Edition Wii Edition.

497274-resident-evil-4-wii-screenshot-ea

An Accurate depiction of this game

No game has more satisfying, compelling or FUN ranged combat! And I will fight you on this! :D 

And no third person shooter has such fantastic level & enemy design and pacing.  Just absolutely masterful execution all around (that is only elevated even further by the amazing Wii Remote controls!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Favourite Ranged Combat

sY_2tuBM2BWLIhAppQJHJtPWWo9zoBcpdfjbI-Do

Virtual On

Basically a ranged fighting game. The lock on was generous (it locks on every time you jump or dash), allowing players to concentrate on dodging and positioning. 

Honourable mentions to Zone of the Enders and Phantasy Star Online 2 for similar systems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Day 7 - Favourite ranged combat 

Still the GOAT Star Wars game. 

tnQjshS.jpg

It is indeed, but I'm saving this one for Day 23!

The Tomb Raider reboot was also the first thing that popped into my mind, as the archery is amazing and the bow is basically all you need. But I'm going a bit further back in time and I choose Unreal Tournament - Game of the Year edition. It had so many iconic weapons and it was also one of the first games that I played online. Stuff like the Shock Rifle (and the one-hit-KO InstaGib version), Flak Cannon, the Pulse Gun and of course the Redeemer, such a great collection of weapons. Each one had an interesting alternative fire as well, which you could sometimes combine with the main fire. The GOTY version introduced even more (crazy!) weaponry.

• Thanks 1

Day 7 favourite ranged combat 

Fighting Mecha Bowser in Baby Park on Mario Sunshine 

C2kN8PAUcAACnuL?format=jpg&name=large

you’re on a roller coaster and your fighting a robot bowers with a rocket launcher (well kinda) great fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Favourite ranged combat

This one is a tough one as I’m not a huge fan of a lot of the game genres that would qualify for this. In the end I’ll go for Halo Combat Evolved, but I don’t have too much to say about it.

• Thanks 1

A lot of thought went into this. Turok 2 had an insane arsenal of weapons, Cerebral Bore. Goldeneye transformed the FPS genre. But it was the feeling of the sniper rifle in Perfect Dark, the zoom was like nothing I’d seen before, and pixel perfect shooting to boot. Some of the other weapons were great, too, but the sniper rifle made the game for me.

76c33308fa67f9ac3ea8b5ce10ef029d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Best Ranged Combat

Gonna have to go with @Dcubed's choice of Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition.

It's no contest, one of 2 shooter games that I actually enjoy.

You see, shooting games on console generally suck. They suck because aiming with a control stick sucks.

So take one of the best Third Person Shooters and fix that problem with excellent pointer controls!

Yeah, it's not exactly designed for such accuracy (Who needs a Sniper Rifle? The Handgun is my Sniper Rifle!). But I don't care, it's a romp from start to finish!

The fact that the Switch version doesn't implement gyro controls is a travesty that still means the Wii Edition remains king. And will probably forever remain so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Day 7: Favourite Ranged Combat

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Because there's nothing quite like taking out enemies from a distance, on the back of a dragon. :D

The game still looks incredible today as well, even when compared to a lot of recent titles. :heart:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Gears of War. The movement and cover system was so slick, active reload was really satisfying and the weapons all had a satisfying kick to them. The sequels probably improved upon it, but I mainly remember the original.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this