NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Dark (Netflix) - Final season available now!

Now hopefully that shocked some people who don't get the reference. Don't worry, I'll change the topic title once I'm done having a laugh. Probably.

Dark on Netflix!

It's obviously talked about in the Netflix thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread, especially as the 3rd and final season drops on Saturday, 27-06-2020, also known as

the day of the apocalypse

If you're not familiar with it, it's a German family drama epos, spanning many, many years.. Because of some time travel shenanigans. The whole village of Winden is one big puzzle that slowly unravels over the course of the series. With the show coming to an end on Saturday, now is a good time to jump in if you haven't already. It's genuinly one of my favourite shows on Netflix, and one of my favourite shows overall. Despite focussing on so many characters in different times, it does an excellent job of easing the viewer into this, while surprising them with a lot of twist that show how intricate this whole puzzle actually is. The cast is excellent, I love every single one of them, not only do they deliver great pwerformances, they're excellently casted for their looks (again, you see the same characters in different times). I also love the music.

Some trailers, though if you're new you may want to skip the later season trailers.

If you're new, here's a season 1 trailer:

If you're anticipating the final season:

Trilogy trailer

Just for the sake of people totally new to this, it's probably advised to use spoilers even for the first 2 seasons, when directly discussing episodes.

Edited by Sméagol

And so it begins! And so it ends! And so it begins!

See ya in over 8 hours.

In preparation for Season 3, we decided to start watching Season 2 again last night. Got around 10 minutes in and thought...it's actually better if we just watch the whole thing again from the start, due to the amount of characters and "history". 

The pacing in the first two episodes is masterful. Superb characters and the writing is great. It's the type of show where every scene seems to matter and they have carefully thought about crafting it. Really enjoying it again. This will be the third time that I have seen season 1. :D 

Yeah I did that 2 weeks ago. I watched season 1 just before season 2 launched, then watched them both 2 weeks ago.

Now if you'll excuse me..

Ok. First impressions.. A tad diappointing. I still like the ending, and the story overall, however, they tried to tell 3 different things in 8 over 1 hour long episodes. This really needed several more. They glossed over a lot of things, events, whole periods of time and characters, so a whole lot of character and story developments don't feel earned. It's a real shame, because there still feels like there's plenty mystery left. They show a whole lot of "what", but not a lot of "why". That said. The ending seems fitting and totally what the show was heading towards. In short, I love the story and ending, i just don't like how they got there. The last part feels rushed, and needed more time.

I'm still going to watch the complete series one more time from beginning to end (though not directly), just to see how the last season puts events in the first 2 in perspective.

Wife wasn't too tired today so got to see the first two episodes - and geez, relax on the thriller music, alright?! 

Also, do you guys (English-speaking) watch it in English? Was surprised that there was an English dubbing but quickly switched it to German.

Other than that, really interesting plot it seems and some interesting characters. Looking forward to seeing the plot unfold.

Got to the end of Season 1 and looooooooooved it. Third time watching this season but it's so masterfully created. One of my favourite seasons of any show. 

Spoiler

When "A Quiet Life" kicks in at the end, I get goosebumps. Perfect piece of music at the right time.

Hannah is Queeeeeeen of the Biiiiittttches. Hot as hell, but what a bitch! So hilariously obsessed with Ulrich and she's gone into evil cow mode now that she can't have him.

In season 1, Charlotte is the true MVP. Gets messed around a lot and then just decides to solve it all herself. Either her or Regina as my top characters. Ulrich is also brilliantly written, including his descent into madness. Love him across both timelines in the first season.

5 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Wife wasn't too tired today so got to see the first two episodes - and geez, relax on the thriller music, alright?! 

Also, do you guys (English-speaking) watch it in English? Was surprised that there was an English dubbing but quickly switched it to German.

Other than that, really interesting plot it seems and some interesting characters. Looking forward to seeing the plot unfold.

I watch it in German and use subtitles. Have never contemplated watching a dubbed version. 

If I'm going to watch something, I'm doing it in the original language.

• Like 1

I finished the season 3. I can understand why Captain Janeway disdained the time travel and paradoxes so much cos it also gave me headache. Great ending tho. 

Season 3 doesn't grab me as much as the first two. I have three episodes left to watch but I kinda lost interest.

The ending of season 2 ruined it for me a little.

I'll finish the show and I hope it'll redeem itself but so far I'm disappointed with the final season.

Spoiler

I think a lot of people felt the same about the ending, and even general direction, of S2.

I said this elsewhere but the problem Dark has is basically the classic horror movie trope. It thrived so well on mystery, on the darkness and unknown. You didn't fully get what you were seeing, what was happening, where things were going. The show started as a mystery in a cave, a boy in a room on a chair with a device around his head. I knew so little about it that it could've literally been a monster that came into the woods and ate people. So you hang on every word, absorbing every new bit of info but being thrown more things to digest at the same time.

Unfortunately as soon as that curtain lifts, you have to instead take what you've built and close out a satisfying arc with it. The best thing you can do then at least, is keep things short. And perhaps one of the worst things you can do is throw a total curveball that undoes some of the earlier stuff. A twist, sure. But anything that undermines the importance of the earlier stuff? That's messy. Like, deciding John Connor wasn't that important after all - kind of messy. And that's what new-Martha showing up did.

Despite that, I'm still enjoying S3 so far. It could never recapture what it did in S1, but that's because it did magical things with mystery. I'm still hopeful it will close out well, as the characters and ideas are all still solid.

Five episodes in and I'm having trouble understanding why they need 21 more episodes to tell this story. But I guess there'll be some twists and turns that make the story deeper.

Up until now it's been fun guessing (our guess about the father was correct) and figuring out who's related to whom and how. It's still very exciting to watch.

Watched s1 of this when it was first released  Loved it, but never started s2 for whatever reason. As a result, forgotten a lot of what has happened other than the main revelations so I’ve started again. It is more fun to watch knowing who will become who etc. 

Should hopefully wrap up the entire series in a week or so. 

We have one episode left of Season 3. 

Have had this song in my head all morning due to it appearing in a brilliant scene during this season.

Never actually listened to the Silent Alarm Remixed, despite being a huge lover of Silent Alarm. This song threw me when it came on because I instantly recognised Kele's voice. Such a great scene where it appears, too.

Overall, really enjoyed season 3, but do think that it will benefit from a rewatch. Season 2 seriously improved for me after a second viewing. 

Finished this a few days ago.

I thought that it was fucking amazing. Loved the finale but just love the story that was told over all three seasons. There's tons of depth there and I know that I will watch this all over again not too long from now. Seasons 1 and 2 benefited from a re-watch, but I imagine that three will perhaps benefit the most due to the amount of crazy stuff that happens.

Spoiler

When "What a Wonderful World" kicked in, that was me gone. Brilliant ending.

REGINA WILL LIVE. :cry:

Wow, totally forgot about the series, to be honest.

Still have 3 episodes left of the final season but I fell out of love... ::shrug:

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Wow, totally forgot about the series, to be honest.

Still have 3 episodes left of the final season but I fell out of love... ::shrug:

You are such a hipster.:heh:

Why would you go through all of that and then not see the ending? There isn't going to be anymore, this is the definitive and perfect ending for the show. Watch it. 

Season 3 is a lot to take in but I think the payoff is definitely worth it in those last few episodes. I adored the finale and this is one of my all-time favourite shows now. It's a complete story. 

30 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Finished this a few days ago.

I thought that it was fucking amazing. Loved the finale but just love the story that was told over all three seasons. There's tons of depth there and I know that I will watch this all over again not too long from now. Seasons 1 and 2 benefited from a re-watch, but I imagine that three will perhaps benefit the most due to the amount of crazy stuff that happens.

Season 3 spoilers - Don't read if you haven't finished (Reveal hidden contents)

When "What a Wonderful World" kicked in, that was me gone. Brilliant ending.

REGINA WILL LIVE. :cry:

Yeah I finished it a couple of days ago, great ending.

Spoiler

I like how a take away can be that it's fine to mess about with time travel, in fact it's to be encouraged, as your poor experimental byproducts will ultimately go on to bring your family back to life.

29 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Why would you go through all of that and then not see the ending?

I thought the season 2 ending was just a very boring and predictable way to keep it going. It also ruined all the suspense because:

Spoiler

introducing another universe makes literally everything possible. I find it quite boring.

31 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Watch it. 

I will, but only when I'm really bored :p

Finished this last night. Loved it, but man, do I have a headache this morning. Seemed like the show runners had an idea of where this was going from the start which is always the best way, rather than having a season ordered and then trying to figure out what to do with it. 

If I mention that there is already a thread for this...

...will that create some kind of loop? :confused:

Wow. Normally I check those things! haha. Can't believe I've forgotten about it.

Well...watched the final three episodes...

My feelings were confirmed: I didn't like it very much.

The series is very well made. Great acting, wonderful cinematography, the choice of music is amazing, intriguing characters, an idea that is soooooo my thing. The plot development was not for me, though. At least from S2 onward.

That one twist...

Spoiler

S2 ending.

Out of nowhere something/someone from another world shows up, pretty much undoing everything that's happened so far. Or rather rendering everything important kind of...pointless. Maybe that's too strong of a word, but that twist undermines a lot of what happened before.

And with the introduction of the "multiverse" it was clear to me that at least one more world exists which will eventually be the solution.

Also: I hate mushy, happy endings :p

Edit: In case the question "what ending/resolution would you have liked" arises:

Spoiler

Someone breaking the chains. Someone finally being like: "Fuck this shit".

Obviously not as simple as that, but with all the intrigues between the characters there was lots of potential for some act that would destroy the loop. It would've been a sad ending, but that's what I would've preferred.

Edited by drahkon

I think you're focussing too much on the ending of S2, and the introduction of you know what (and who). Don't forget this was already hinted at well before the end of S2.

Also, I'm going to mangle this quote but: "Du wist noch immer nicht wie das Spiel gespielt wird".

Adam tried to break the loop, that was his point. Only for us to find out he has tried to break the loop several times now.

Everything fits in the theme. The theme of threes. The triquetra. I had some issues with season 3, but the overall story wasn't one of them, on the contrary.

Edited by Sméagol

Just finished the third series and really enjoyed it. I wish more shows involving time travel were this well thought out and had such a coherent path through the story. Really hope we get more stuff like this.

One thing that was disappointing is how bad the localization is. We watched with English dub and subtitles and there were multiple points where the two didn’t match up and even a few where they had a completely different meaning. I would have thought Netflix would have a proper department to sort stuff like this out.

Sign in to follow this