NEurope
Kav

Apex Legends. Free-to-play FPS Battle Royale (09/03/21)

It's a shame the game doesn't seem to run that well. Apex Legends is one of the better Battle Royales out there, definitely worth a go.

In all fairness, it feels as if there is a good game there, solid gunplay, apart from the gyro issues.

However, all the menu's feel cheap, like a mobile game, and the worst crime, it uses a cursor controlled by the analogue stick to make choices in the menus, hideous.  WarFace does the same, and just cheapens the game instantly.  Sort your menus out, make them more intuitive, and not that sprawling mess of options at the top.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Londragon said:

In all fairness, it feels as if there is a good game there, solid gunplay, apart from the gyro issues.

However, all the menu's feel cheap, like a mobile game, and the worst crime, it uses a cursor controlled by the analogue stick to make choices in the menus, hideous.  WarFace does the same, and just cheapens the game instantly.  Sort your menus out, make them more intuitive, and not that sprawling mess of options at the top.

That's the hip thing these days.  Basically all AAA western games do this now and it's terrible.

Destiny did it, therefore everyone must do it.

Edited by Dcubed

That's the hip thing these days.  Basically all AAA western games do this now and it's terrible.
Destiny did it, therefore everyone must do it.
Yep. Same for holding down a button for 3 seconds to select things while a radial wheel fills up. Think of how many minutes, nay hours, must have been wasted by us all selecting things for needlessly long amounts of time.
  • Haha 2

Yep. Same for holding down a button for 3 seconds to select things while a radial wheel fills up. Think of how many minutes, nay hours, must have been wasted by us all selecting things for needlessly long amounts of time.
Isn't that an accessibility thing? To avoid wrong inputs by people who might otherwise mis-click?

Well the disconnection issues aren’t just on the Switch. Me and my mates are having problems on the PS4 too.

• Like 1

I played a game last night after having been on the PS4 version all night (after the servers finally let me on) and the difference between the two, although massive, doesn't ruin the fun.

The Switch version feels a bit slower and more cumbersome because of the drop in frames but the core gameplay is still there and still fun, it just doesn’t have the level of polish the other consoles have.

Hopefully there’ll be a couple performance related patches coming to stabilise the frame-rate. It’d make the world of difference!

I came 2nd in the game, which I played pretty much all by myself after my teammates either disconnected or just left immediately after being downed. I almost had the win after downing 2 of the last team but I just couldn’t quite get that final kill - I absolutely believe I’d have won if I was on the PS4 against that same team of 3, without issue.

I didn’t turn off cross-play but I think it’d be wise to do so when you play this. You can clearly feel that you’d be at a disadvantage to those on other consoles if you’ve played the two - an insurmountable disadvantage to be honest.

Also, the controller I bought plays like a dream!

Even if it’s a bit rough around the edges at the moment, with a pre-made squad of us, it’d be so much fun!

Edited by Kav
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before I committed to this I’d want to know that the developers were treating the switch version as a priority and not some throw away port. I’m all for learning the ropes of a game, accepting being shit for a bit and working at it, IF I can be confident that the game will be well supported.

On 12/03/2021 at 10:06 PM, LazyBoy said:

Before I committed to this I’d want to know that the developers were treating the switch version as a priority and not some throw away port. I’m all for learning the ropes of a game, accepting being shit for a bit and working at it, IF I can be confident that the game will be well supported.

For what it’s worth, Panic Button were involved in this port... and while it’s clearly not up to their usual standards, I’d expect them to improve it over time like with their other ports.

That being said? This is an EA game... on a Nintendo console... Don’t expect EA to give much of a shit.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 10:06 PM, LazyBoy said:

With this being a live service game, will you be supporting Apex for longer than some of your other projects like Rocket League and Warframe, or have the keys been handed back to Respawn?

Dan: Currently we’ll continue to support the project for the next couple of months. There’s always the chance it goes on longer or we hand it off sooner if Respawn feels confident. But for the time being, we’ll be fully engaged to release all content on Switch day and date with all other platforms with all of the seasons moving forward.

It’ll be supported with updates and patches so I hopefully issues are ironed out fast.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/03/feature_panic_button_and_respawn_on_the_challenge_of_bringing_apex_legends_on_switch

• Like 1

The first Switch patch is upon us... hopefully the “several Switch fixes” make the game run a little more smoothly.

• Thanks 1

I changed the Response Curve in the control settings to Linear and I’m finding the aiming much more responsive and smooth... might be worth a try if something has felt off to you so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kav said:

I changed the Response Curve in the control settings to Linear and I’m finding the aiming much more responsive and smooth... might be worth a try if something has felt off to you so far.

Will check that out.  Still trying to get a few matches in a day, and I feel more comfortable with it all.  Great gunplay, weighty weapons, and really tough.  If your team is not working together then you've got very little chance of surviving any longer than a few minutes.  But what a feeling when your team clicks.  Enjoying.

• Like 1

Anyone still playing this? I needed an FPS fix, so I thought I would give this a go, downloading now.

edit: Archived, can’t find a game anywhere but on the Tokyo servers and when I do it’s unplayable. Disappointing. 

Edited by LazyBoy
  • Sad 1