NEurope
Julius

Pokémon Presents: June 24th 2020

Just announced at the end of today's Presents...

pokemon-presents-june-24-656x369.jpg

Ishihara closed with teasing that there is another big project that they're working on, and more is to be revealed during next week's presentation. 

Edited by Julius

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

ARGH! Wonder what it is?

Probably just an update on Pokémon Sleep :p

All jokes aside, given how it was teased, I would be surprised if it's anything but news on the next pair of core series titles (for example, I don't think teasing news like this for an update on the Detective Pikachu game first announced last year would be well received). 

Things seem to be pointing towards Diamond & Pearl remakes. FireRed and LeafGreen were released originally released in 2004 (8 years after the original games in 1996), HeartGold and SoulSilver in 2009 (10 years after the originals in 1999), and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire in 2014 (12 years after the originals in 2002). Seeing that its been nearly 6 years since the last pair of remakes (previously every 5 years) and this year will be marking the 14th anniversary of the original games, this is the longest in every sense that we've gone without the next "generation" of core series titles being remade since the first remakes. Whether a modern Game Freak can do those games justice is probably up for debate, though I'm sure it will sell well regardless. 

The only other real possibility in my mind is a pair of Let's Go games set in Johto, though that would mean returning to Johto sooner than our last visit to Sinnoh, and I'm not sure how well that would go over with fans, at least in terms of initial optics. I'm sure it would still sell amazingly well, though. 

This is all of course unless Game Freak are going to have the shortest "generation" of core series games to date and make another jump to a new region. While I think this is the most unlikely of the three options I've mentioned, given how Sword & Shield will have had a full year of support with two DLC expansions when all is said and done, I don't think this can be easily dismissed as it might have been previously. Even if it is, by far, the most unlikely option. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Next week's event is getting hyped up...

Well, that doesn't read like Pokémon Sleep or a Let's Go Johto to me. Excited to see what it is. 

No idea where this belongs, but seeing as it's hopeful/speculative, figured this might be the right place.

It's never going to look like this, and wouldn't work in a lot of ways, but that person who has been putting together images of Pokémon in Breath of the Wild is doing some amazing work. 

vlxp4ux40e531.jpg

After playing Xenoblade I wish Monolith Soft would give Game Freak a hand, but of course they'd need to probably size up a little more with so much in the works at the moment.

The game doesn't need to be anywhere near as massive as that game is, but it's that sense of awe and wonder (and the greater diversity of monsters' levels when compared with something like the Wild Area, and how they all interact) that a more-open-but-not-BotW-open, linear open world could bring to something like Pokémon which I think would be amazing.

The battle mechanics of Pokémon give it a solid core, but that sense of discovery just isn't what it was in the early games anymore, the main game just isn't difficult enough even when compared with past games, and the lore these days is such a letdown (yes it's an RPG so I am interested in the story, and when I was younger I spent tens of hours scouring over the timeline and legends/myths pages on Bulbapedia). 

Anyway, hard to imagine whatever these games are, assuming that they're core series games and not a spin-off, being much different than Sword & Shield. 

• Thanks 1

14:00 BST tomorrow! 

Nervous to see what this is, but not too long to go now. 

Edited by Julius

Rumours flying around now that this is actually a Tencent-made MMO for mobile phones...

g2hC.gif

• Sad 1

Yup.  It's a League of Legends knockoff.

Switch is a surprise though.  Thought it'd be mobile only!

Oh of course it's this, this is going to do absolutely crazy numbers. Was just listening to a podcast discussing the possibility of this the other day considering how well a knock-off Pokémon version of this was doing well.

But I'm so hard out. 

Edited by Julius

*sigh*

I had zero expectations for this and somehow I'm still disappointed. :p

Oh well, it exists, it's not for me, it's good for those who are interested in it and we still have New Pokémon Snap to look forward to. :smile:

• Like 1

Colour me interested. I enjoyed League of Legends before it turned into a toxic hellhole, and Arena of Valor before the Switch version stopped receiving support. It's good to see there's a Switch version and that it supports the controller. Not sure about those graphics though and how the catching mechanism is going to work in a MOBA but we'll see. Also a pretty boring cast of Pokémon to choose from if this is the starting roster.

With League of Legends Wild Rift still without a release date I think this can be massive if they can get Pokémon out earlier.

Edited by Vileplume2000

@Dcubed MMO ≠ MOBA..

I'm slightly more interested in this than I would have been in an MMO.

That said.. it still stings that Tencent just left AoV to die. It almost makes you question what support this game will be getting, but the Pokémon company is propbably going to make sure it doesn't end up like AoV. I wonder if this game actually was a factor in AoV not getting support.

Anyway, this doesn't look as fun as AoV, but I may give it a go.

That said.. I never heard of that wild rift version of LoL.. that may be more to my liking.

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

@Dcubed MMO ≠ MOBA..

I'm slightly more interested in this than I would have been in an MMO.

That said.. it still stings that Tencent just left AoV to die. It almost makes you question what support this game will be getting, but the Pokémon company is propbably going to make sure it doesn't end up like AoV. I wonder if this game actually was a factor in AoV not getting support.

Anyway, this doesn't look as fun as AoV, but I may give it a go.

That said.. I never heard of that wild rift version of LoL.. that may be more to my liking.

Well the rumour wasn't too far off at least!

Anyway, I bet that this thing is gonna end up being stupidly popular.  Though it'll be held back by the lack of a PC version...

content-4-36276-pokemonunitebanner.jpg

Pokémon Presents 24.06.2020 Roundup

Here's the N-Europe Roundup of Pokémon Presents 24.06.2020  Pokémon Unite.

Full press release and video embed in the article. :smile:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Well The Pokémon Company isn't that afraid of killing off smartphone games either. I think it was Pokémon Duel that got canned pretty fast? Oh and same for Pokémon Rumble Rush. That's getting shut down after a little bit more than a year (had to Google it, released in May 2019, terminated July 2020).

Hey, what got announced here? Anything remotely inter...

Mobile game?

OK, cool. I'm outie 5000.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Hey, what got announced here? Anything remotely inter...

Mobile game?

OK, cool. I'm outie 5000.

And Switch. 

13 hours ago, Ashley said:

And Switch. 

Doesn't make it a game designed for the Switch, let's face it.

I might try Pokemon Unite out one day, but I'm not that fussed about it at this point. xD

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

But it’s blatantly been designed for Switch (alongside mobile) so yeah, actually it does. :heh:

Why does that matter? I thought you were against mobile games because you didn't have a smartphone? If it runs on Switch then surely that's a good thing regardless of what it was designed for.