NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

New Pokémon Snap

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Made by Namco Bandai Studios... Oh, PLEASE don't let this be a monkey's paw...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yes! I’m excited by this, even if one of my overriding thoughts is “it’s about time!”

So it’s early in development and it’ll be interesting to see if they can flesh it out more than the original, which was fun but a fairly short experience.

Ooh... wonder if it'll have support for Labo VR... It'd be a natural fit!

• Like 1

I'VE BEEN WANTING THIS FOR SO LONG!

Shame its not one of those "and dropping next week" games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Higher quality version of the trailer...

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1273241548554211329/vid/1280x720/Q7Mdb84dEblXsqBB.mp4

It's official! The game is 60FPS! Awesome! :D 

They're taking their sweet time putting that trailer up on their official channel :laughing:

Looks fantastic. Watched a friend play Snap growing up on his older brother's N64, but don't think I ever tried it myself, so have had to admire the series from afar. Very interested in giving this one a try, but would also love if they ported the original across too. Shadow dropping a port when they give us the release date would be great. 

It's funny, because as soon as we saw that opening shot I was like "Wow, this actually looks incredible. There's no way this is a main series title from Game Freak" :D Bandai Namco developing is interesting though, looks like TPCi have a lot of stock in them after Pokkén.

Love the art style and definitely think that the vibrant colours and combination of more realistic assets and textures here suits the series much more than the rather dull, almost flat colour palette we've had in the last couple of games. 

Excited to see what comes of this. Feel like it's a title they wanted to say "2021" for but wisely held off on due to the current situation. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

I really do need to play the original at some point, keep meaning to buy it on the Wii U so this is a timely reminder for me to do that. 

Great news that they're finally going ahead with a sequel, it looks very nice too. 

Images and details from the press release:

EauCn1EXYAUXs1I?format=jpg&name=large

EauCoDoXYAAtGsF?format=jpg&name=large

EauCoOOWsAA6rYw?format=jpg&name=large

EauCoiFXgAEkte5?format=jpg&name=large

EauCrg9WoAAhGTv?format=jpg&name=large

EauCr8HXQAInF-B?format=jpg&name=large

Photograph Pokémon in their natural habitats as you adventure through unknown islands!

Seek out and take in-game pictures of Pokémon in their native environments in the New Pokémon™ Snap game, only for the Nintendo Switch™ system! You'll even discover behaviors and expressions you've never seen before when you encounter and research lively wild Pokémon.

Explore environments, take in-game pictures and fill your Pokémon Photodex

Travel to unknown islands with beautiful scenery like lush jungles and sandy beaches. The Pokémon pictures you take there will be used to build your very own Pokémon Photodex!

This brand-new game brings the gameplay of the 1999 Pokémon Snap game for the Nintendo 64™ system to life on the Nintendo Switch system with unknown islands to discover and different Pokémon to see!

Photograph lively wild Pokémon in their natural habitats as you research and explore unknown islands. Journey through a variety of environments such as beaches and jungles to capture previously-unseen Pokémon behaviors. The photos you take can also be used to fill out your very own Pokémon Photodex!

• See a different side of Pokémon in a new photo-snapping adventure, only on Nintendo Switch
• Research various Pokémon in their natural habitats and capture Pokémon behaviors that you’ve never seen before
• Explore unknown islands with scenery like lush jungles and tropical beaches throughout your journey
• Take in-game photos to make your very own Pokémon Photodex

Yep, looks and sounds great. Now the long wait until we see more! 

• Thanks 2

The first Pokémon game I'm interested in since 2001 :D

Looking forward to it.

Edited by drahkon

content-4-36263-newpokemonsnapbanner.jpg

New Pokémon Snap announced for Nintendo Switch

We knew this day would come, it was just a matter of when. :D

Full press release, reveal video and first set of screenshots in the article.

I cannot wait for this one, let's hope it's even half as good as the original. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Edit: Made by Namco Bandai Studios... Oh, PLEASE don't let this be a monkey's paw...

Why would it be? If it were developed by GameFreak, that'd be a red flag, but Namco's competent, as evidenced by Machamp's best 3D portrayal yet.

Anyway, this might be the first Pokémon game I'll get in a long time. This be good-looking stuff.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1

I never played Pokémon Snap. What's the gameplay like? I love camera features in a game, but it seems to be on-rails, which is bothering me. I don't see the point if this is the case.

I never played Pokémon Snap. What's the gameplay like? I love camera features in a game, but it seems to be on-rails, which is bothering me. I don't see the point if this is the case.

As far as I know, it is an on rails shooter, except it replaces guns with cameras.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

The on-rails aspect adds a degree of urgency to the affair. You're supposed to get really good photos (Pokémon in the middle of the shot, doing interesting things and looking at the camera).

The problem comes from a mix of being on-rails and wild Pokémon being generally uncooperative.

There were also a bunch of secrets to discover in the original. For example, the Volcano level had a Charmeleon  minding it's own business. If you chucked an apple at it just right, you'd knock it into the nearby lava and get it to evolve into a Charizard, high-scoring picture there.

@Jonnas are you referring to Machamp in Pokken? Because if so, you're right. One of the few Pokémon that don't look weird in that game.

But could it come back one day? Well, I wouldn't say it was impossible. But I get the distinct impression that time has passed. If the WiiU wasn't the perfect time, I don't know what could be. I think Todd might just be doomed to retirement forever...

So happy to be proven wrong! Although it seems I'm right about Todd's retirement.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

While I understand the reason for it being on the rails I hope there's at least one area that's free roaming in the new game. Would be a nice change of pace. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sméagol said:

It's like Starfox with a camera.

It's an arcade style score-score attack rail shooter.  The fun is in getting the best possible pictures, finding all the secret events & hidden Pokemon (You can trigger secret events by throwing things at the Pokemon to get them to interact with the environmnent and each other) and getting the highest scores possible.

It's a fantastic game! It's also available on the Wii U VC right now, go and get it!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I'm glad you asked...

45 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It's like Starfox with a camera.

It's an arcade style score-score attack rail shooter.  The fun is in getting the best possible pictures, finding all the secret events & hidden Pokemon (You can trigger secret events by throwing things at the Pokemon to get them to interact with the environmnent and each other) and getting the highest scores possible.

It's a fantastic game! It's also available on the Wii U VC right now, go and get it!

It certainly is, which gives the perfect excuse to promote and old edition of...

content-4-34981-1.jpg

VC Weekly 391

Featuring reviews of...

Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky  

Right, I'll go and do some work now. :p

Looking back, I really enjoyed reviewing both of those games. :)

I'm very much looking forward to this New Pokémon Snap as I have good memories of playing the original on the N64 with my brother all those years ago. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Here's a level example from the N64 game:

This is clearly not the person's first playthrough. The first time on the Beach, you don't have all of those items to interact with the Pokémon. Still, they failed in attracting that Pikachu to the surfboard (it would've lead to a Surfing Pikachu photo, quite valuable).

• Thanks 1

April 30!

Edit: I thought it looked a bit meh, but the trailer on YouTube looks a lot better than the Twitter version:

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

April 30!

It looks fantastic, I'm so, so in. Most excited I've been for a Pokémon game in a long time!

That shot at the beginning of the player character walking towards the lab, the environments...this is what the core series games should be made to look like :cry:

• Like 1

Wow, much sooner than I was expecting!

Looks great

Visuals are good (by 3D Pokemon standards at least)

Edited by Ronnie

Some more info on the official site. (as well as some really nice art and some more screenshots)

Key points:

- 200+ Pokémon to photograph. 

- at the request of Professor Mirror, investigating the mysterious Illumina phenomenon (making some Pokémon and vegetation glow) in the Lental Region

- keep track of things with a Photodex (of course)

Yeah, just based on how this looks, I find stupidly excited. And it's pretty soon! 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Julius said:

Most excited I've been for a Pokémon game in a long time!

Same here.

Fell out of love with the "actual" Pokémon games ages ago, but New Pokémon Snap tickles my fancy :D
I'll probably not know 80% of the Pokémon you can find, though :laughing:

Here's hoping this'll somehow turn the next "actual" game into an open world one :p

Sign in to follow this