Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Star Wars Squadrons

It does look cool, I’m quite looking forward to playing this one. I guess the single player is not too big and intended as training for getting into the multiplayer. They also seem to suggest that all of the upgrades are just collected in-game rather than things you need to pay for. That can’t be right can it?

8 hours ago, will' said:

They also seem to suggest that all of the upgrades are just collected in-game rather than things you need to pay for. That can’t be right can it?

Yep, it was stated after the reveal trailer. Like Fallen Order, no micro-transactions.

Well that’s pretty cool. Also awesome that the whole thing can be played in VR. Quite looking forward to it now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

FANTASTIC gameplay trailer, it's funny I wasn't expecting such a in-depth overview of the game, I figured they'd do what they did with Fallen Order and give us a 5 or 10 minute unbroken slice. Not complaining though, it's all looking really great!!

I've made my peace with the whole first-person thing. They've obviously put a ton of work into the visuals and customisation and it'd probably be a bit easy if you could see the whole ship + surroundings.

The character customisation thing really surprises me. It makes a lot of sense for the multiplayer but I figured Lucasfilm would want to keep a tight lid on the canon and use specific characters in the storyline. Maybe there is a distinction between the two modes but that's not what the trailer suggested I don't think.

Great to hear Hera speak! And that must be Rae Sloane in there too. 

My only slight worry is from a visual pov, especially how noisy all the environments look. It's a really modern trend with scifi/fantasy to fill the screen with as much stuff as possible. The new Star Trek shows do this constantly. But it's a small gripe, I guess they have to distinguish each map somehow. The only other thing are the star trails when boosting are pretty garish but you need that kind of thing in flight games to show the direction of travel.

There seem to be a TON of components available, which is great. There's an inherent issue with this game because Rebel ships are supposed to be far stronger than Imperials (no shields, but superior numbers), and it'll be interesting to see how they deal with that. You can clearly see TIE cockpits showing no shields.

The fact that the whole game is in VR is amazing, and it's probably (finally) the killer app I've been waiting for to get a rig. I just wish Sony would hurry up and release a wireless PSVR2.

I'm going to assume there's match-making for all multiplayer modes, there better be otherwise I'm pretty screwed. Overall though, it's all looking fantastic :hehe:

Edited by Ronnie

Posted (edited)

Outlets went hands-on and previews came out a couple of days ago, with plenty raving about how great it was to play.

It really only took a few minutes to assure me that the developers at EA Motive hadn't screwed anything up here. This is genuinely the 2020 reimagining of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter I hoped it would be, with some beautifully rendered cockpits and combat arenas set around space stations and stunning multicolored nebulas. 

While flying might be a bit more forgiving than it was in those games 20-plus years ago (I ricocheted off walls a few times without taking too much damage), this is still more sim than Rogue Squadron. It's first-person only. You have to actively manage your power system between shields, weapons, and engines to suit the moment; you can also rebalance your shields from front to back with a button press, which will help more skilled players survive dogfights. Aiming your standard laser cannons doesn't give you a leading target reticle that tells you exactly where to shoot, so you'll have to get a feel for that yourself, eyeing the speed and distance to your target.

The Flight Sim we've been waiting for - PC Gamer

Ask any fan of Star Wars what they most yearn to reenact in a video game, and they’ll likely tell you two things: lightsaber duels and space battles.

Last year’s Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order from Respawn gave us the first in a strong and sleek package. Now, another Electronic Arts studio — the Canadian developer Motive, which was responsible in part for Star Wars Battlefront II — is bringing us the second in the form of Star Wars: Squadrons. It’s a space combat game that puts you in the cockpit of classic Star Wars spacecraft, including TIE ships and the New Republic Wing series, with a unique story campaign and robust multiplayer modes inspired by EA’s Battlefield and Battlefront series.

It’s an astonishingly difficult game if you’re unfamiliar with the broader flight sim and space combat genres. But Squadrons is also accessibly designed, much like a racing game, with a set of systems that automate away harder tasks until you learn, improve, and — once you’re ready — really take flight.

Squadrons is chaotic, exhilirating and very difficult - The Verge

Right out of the star-gate, the good news is that the flying and combat in Squadrons felt solid. If you like trying to shoot at where the other guy is going to be while wiggling your spaceship to shake off the proton torpedo on your tail, you’ll be in Gammorean Heaven. I played with a mouse and keyboard, but other participants reported a similarly good experience with a controller. The game’s targeting system is effective and fairly intuitive, and although it’s been a minute since I got my dogfight on, I found myself immediately flashing back to my Rogue Squadron days. Targeting and strafing a turret on the surface of a Star Destroyer, the chatter between me and my teammates, jumping from one level to the next, the detailed sounds of lasers and explosions I shouldn’t actually be able to hear in space — it all felt right.

Squadrons knows what it’s about. It’s a very focused game, on a path as narrow and thrilling as any Death Star trench. If you’re into first-person space combat, I doubt a tighter package will come along this year. And if you’re a fan of multiplayer team sports, you could certainly have a lot of fun putting together a squad of fighter pilot friends and taking a run at becoming the scourge of the servers. The developers clearly have a lot of love for the Star Wars universe, as evidenced by the gorgeous, pop-art and propaganda-inspired cutscenes that help set the game apart from a generic Star Wars look. So if you yearn for a return to simpler days, but with a few new monkey wrenches thrown into the works to keep things interesting, Squadrons has a seat waiting for you.

Narrow but deep, like the trench run - IGN

Edited by Ronnie

Game will be at Gamescom this Thursday:

Looking forward to seeing more!

Wonder what it could be. Maybe just a story mission?

Posted (edited)

Single player trailer from Gamescom:

Loved that New Republic propaganda at the start, game looks good. I'm (still) in. 

Really aren't leaving much up to the imagination with Project Starhawk though, are they? Guessing this means we'll finally get to see one in action! 

Edited by Julius

I'd love it if the game ends at Jakku but I guess that's unlikely.

Looks amazing.

Gone gold!

Just a few weeks now. Not sure how long I'll put into the online, but looking forward to digging into the campaign - however short it is - all the same!

• Thanks 1

Colour me (very) interested
Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

CG short is up. Paging @Ronnie!

Looks absolutely phenomenal.

Holy hell, this must have cost a fortune! Reminds me of the CG shorts for The Old Republic. I know they said CG before, but still, I wasn't expecting movie quality CG. Genuinely looks better than some scenes in the more recent films at times.

Stunning environments and vehicles, still not nailed faces and some surfaces in CG (the TIE helmet in the cockpit and the TIE surface when whipping around come to mind), but seriously, incredible. Awesome use of the Imperial March too, the music really tied this thing together in a big way.

Praying there's another one! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

CG short is up. Paging @Ronnie!

Holy fuck. That was OUTSTANDING! :bowdown::bowdown:

I was expecting a couple of minutes from an in-game cutscene, definitely not that! Loved it, so many cool moments/camera angles/tactics. Slight nitpick, the iconic X-Wing sounds effects weren't quite there, but everything else was top notch.

Cheers for the heads up @Julius I'd somehow forgotten this was today. Wonder if we'll see more Shorts before the game's release. Also wonder if this is the character you play as on the Imperial side in-game (even though he's customisable). It's funny for a budget title that they've said they have no plans to offer expansions for, EA/Lucasfilm then put so much money into commissioning a short like that.

PS: Please, once he's done with watching Rogue One, someone kindly show this to JJ as an example of how to make a STAR WARS space battle. Not one of his generic pew pew ones that you've forgotten before the film's even over :indeed:

Edited by Ronnie

That was incredible! What an amazing short! Great animation, and the action had me on the tip of my seat all the way! Good job to the team behind this. It was great to see a space battle from the imperial perspective as well. Gives me vibes to the Old Republic cinematic trailers, so damn good. 

I am more hyped for the game, but please please let there be more of these shorts in the coming weeks :D

• Like 1

Would love at least one more of these for the New Republic pilot, but that'd be 15 minutes of near film quality CG so I'd understand if it's just this one.

Sign in to follow this