NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Returnal (30th April 2021)

The music of Returnal: an interview with composer Bobby Krlic

Sweet mother of mercy, that track is awesome.

The Crash is the lead track that’s being released ahead of the full album. Can you touch upon the creative process behind that? It’s not one of the most subdued tracks, but definitely not as intense as some of the other ones. 

For me, it felt like it really sums up the atmosphere of the game. You know, it sums up the narrative, it sums up the characters of Selene and the planet pretty succinctly. It also uses the breadth tonally of everything involved in Returnal: this custom granular processing, the strings, woodwinds, drum machines, distortions… everything that’s present in Returnal is somewhere to be found in that track. So it felt like a no brainer for me that would be kind of a lead – in inverted commas – single. 

Pre-ordered Returnal digitally.

Reinvested some of the money I got from selling my Switch in a 75€ PSN credit which I got for 57 bucks. Given my financials, that deal came at the right time. For some reason I also wanted to go digital. I would never resell a Housemarque game :D

Anyway...I am fucking hyped :bouncy:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Pre-ordered Returnal digitally.

Reinvested some of the money I got from selling my Switch in a 75€ PSN credit which I got for 57 bucks. Given my financials, that deal came at the right time. For some reason I also wanted to go digital. I would never resell a Housemarque game :D

Anyway...I am fucking hyped :bouncy:

At this point I hope that they've knocked it out of the park just for you @drahkon :laughing: crazy that we're two and a half weeks away from launch and it's pretty quiet, have to imagine it will ramp up next week? 

Unfortunately I'm going through a weird time with games in general and not playing as much as I have over the last year or so, though think that's more to do with what's going on elsewhere. I've actually cancelled most of my pre-orders because, while I'm still looking forward to them, I've still got games left over from last year, and I don't reckon I'd be playing them immediately (due to the myriad of other games, and just not feeling like I'm in the mood). Think the only pre-orders I've kept are Nintendo games, and that's almost solely because their price won't budge anyways. 

So yeah, look forward to getting this down the road, but don't think I'll be playing it anytime soon. Hope it's good fun for all those that do, I really hope Housemarque have a success story on their hands! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Julius said:

At this point I hope that they've knocked it out of the park just for you

I know they have :p It's Housemarque, they always deliver (even with Matterfall).

54 minutes ago, Julius said:

crazy that we're two and a half weeks away from launch and it's pretty quiet, have to imagine it will ramp up next week? 

Yeah, maybe a SoP?
Not sure if I wanna watch it, though...But I probably will :D

I hope it's good, but I'll be waiting for a price drop. I do like roguelikes but Housemarque's output has never really hit it off with me. I know, I'm special.

I think I'm in the "wait for a price cut" camp. The combo of it being a roguelite (even though I loved Hades and have enjoyed what I played of Curse of the Dead Gods) and an asking price £70 means its a hard sell to me. Yet I do like the look of it (it looks incredible visually and the art direction looks fantastic for enemies and environments) and I could see myself enjoying it as there's definitely a lot of Control in how you move. If there's even a semblance in reviews that it plays as well as that title, then I may reconsider.

I just can't put down that on a game, even with being able to get PSN credit cheaper (so it'd probably be nearer £60). Its a shame as Housemarque definitely deserve a win but I think the price point may be what hits sales hard. Put of the gate at least, I suspect as there are discounts they'll shift more units and garner more sales. Do wonder if this is a long tail game that Sony are looking at as one that'll bring money in over the long term rather than short term. Grab some out the gate at full price, the majority later on provided it reviews well.

I still find it weird that we've gone from £45 games on Amazon to £70 on Amazon in the space of a year. I was fine with the £10 increase in price this gen but I figured retail copies of games wouldn't jump to the inflated digital prices. I guess they'll go down eventually.

Keen to play this/anything new but not at £70.

The first 45 minutes of gameplay are going up in about 45 minutes courtesy of Game Informer's New Gameplay Today:

• Thanks 1

Previews are sounding really good, I think I might be in. Hope my reflexes are still up to Housemarque craziness.

Been taking a peek at written previews for a while now...

Next week can't come soon enough :D 

Honestly, this game looks fucking great.

Exactly how I would imaging a twin-stick shooter would work in 3D. Love the visuals and the contrast of the super-bright colours over the grey setting. Buttery smooth 60FPS action and a marked visual step-up from the previous gen in terms of textures and effects. As a XSS and Switch owner, I hope it does well on PS5 and sells well. Healthy competition is the best kind of competition.

Also hope it comes to PC eventually tomcruiselaugh.jpg.

• Like 1

The speed of which the game loads areas and yet still keeps a solid framerate is insane. The teleportation effects look awesome. Standard Housemarque effects at play here. 

Hope you enjoy it, drahkon. Had I purchased a PS5 I would have joined you in playing the game.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The speed of which the game loads areas and yet still keeps a solid framerate is insane. The teleportation effects look awesome. Standard Housemarque effects at play here. 

Everything I've seen so far is Housemarque's quality we've come to love upped to a level that I could not have anticipated :cool:
Haven't seen too many videos/gifs, though, as I wanna experience as much as I can on my own. But man...it's tempting to not just load up a 45 minute preview video and digest it.

47 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hope you enjoy it, drahkon.

Thanks. :peace: Unless every previewer so far has been lying, I'm pretty sure I will. :D

Friday can't come soon enough...

• Like 2

Returnal is doing things with the DualSense controller that I’ve never experienced in a game, and it’s yet another indication that the controller may be the best part of the PlayStation 5 hardware.

Returnal’s gunplay makes delightful use of PS5’s DualSense controller

My hype is reaching ridiculous levels :laughing:

Gonna work a few hours overtime until Friday and take launch-day off. :bouncy:

• Like 1

Food? Bought!
Drinks? Bought!
Time off from work? Done deal!
Am I ready? FUCK YEAH!

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

I was listening to this week's episode of Frame Trap from Easy Allies and Brad and Huber were both raving about the little that they could (both saying it might be one of the best feeling third-person shooters of the last few years, heard it does some interesting stuff with triggers too), and I feel like what they talked about informed me a lot more on the game than some of the gameplay clips I've seen up to this point. It looks like a couple of reviews have somehow slipped through ahead of tomorrow's embargo lifting too, and both seem very positive. 

I'll wait until the embargo lifts tomorrow and I can get a clearer picture of the game's overall flow, I think that's been the toughest part to sell me on so far, especially as someone who hasn't played many roguelikes. I've got to finish Red Dead first anyways, and I do feel like I'm starting to get a craving for a JRPG, but if this isn't too long (which I wouldn't expect it to be?), I can see myself caving and having to check it out for myself sooner rather than later. If Demon's Souls is anything to go by, the price likely won't be dropping by too much in the next six months anyways. 

Also, @drahkon's enthusiasm for the game has been constant these last few months, and I think it's finally starting to wear off on me :D

Sign in to follow this