NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5)

2/3/4 player-coop sealed the deal for me. Looks like a lot of fun.

Potential box art and description from Amazon:

91bHRApAODL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Go solo in an epic race against time stuffed with danger and peril – or create teams of two to four adventurers for fun-packed party play as you work together to overcome nefarious tasks however you can imagine.

New gameplay and a look at special editions:

The Jin Sakai one looks hilarious. Game looks super fun!

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Trailer did actually make me want to play it. Looks like it could be great in multiplayer as well, especially over Christmas so might have to grab another Dualsense along the way if I pick it up.

Any word on digital upgrade if you pick up the PS4 version? Its up for pre-order on the PS Store for £59.99, but with that price I imagine that the PS5 version a bit higher so if they're offering a free upgrade, I'll happily take it as a game for myself and the missus to play over Christmas.

On 29/09/2020 at 7:54 PM, Ganepark32 said:

Any word on digital upgrade if you pick up the PS4 version? Its up for pre-order on the PS Store for £59.99, but with that price I imagine that the PS5 version a bit higher so if they're offering a free upgrade, I'll happily take it as a game for myself and the missus to play over Christmas.

Free upgrade. The game is also £59.99 on PS5.

This looks pretty good, presumably because it seems to be inspired by 3D World. The physics engine also looks pretty decent, which has always been my biggest issue with the regular LBP games.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Still no reviews of this?

Another smaller, more creative title being sent out to die like Tearaway and Concrete Genie?

Seems to be doing solid on Metacritic for now, 78 critic score and 90 user score. No big or even medium outlets from what I can see, but seems to be pretty well received. 

I do think Sony got things the wrong way around when it came to reviews and things like that, I think it would have made much more sense to give reviewers Demon's Souls a week earlier than they did, in addition to Miles Morales and the other games. What we've seen are reviews for Astro's Playroom, Miles, and Bugsnax come out, and then major outlets (perhaps rightly, from a business perspective) turning immediately then to Demon's Souls, as they only had a couple of days to review a 30+ hour RPG. Still think that was an odd choice. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:13 PM, drahkon said:

2/3/4 player-coop sealed the deal for me. Looks like a lot of fun.

This is local co-op. If you look at the psn listing, it states that online co-op expected late this year (even though 2020 is next to over) or early next year. Will buy when that's available. 

If this had Nintendo written on the box it'd be getting rave reviews. The level design isn't quite up to the big N's standard (so far at least), but the presentation is absolutely sublime. Such a joy to play, I'm really loving it. Tons of fun going through and 100%-ing each level. It seems heavily inspired by Mario 3D World, which is fine by me!

I'm halfway through the first world and just played the next gen equivalent of Castle Rock from Rayman Legends. Absolutely incredible.

Spoiler

Edited by Ronnie

There is definitely an audience on Playstation for Sackboy, he was the mascot for a brief period during the PS3 days. But like Ronnie says, the majority of his audience is likely on kid friendly Nintendo platforms. It would be an interesting experiment to see how this game would perform if it was on the Switch, small kiddies would see Sackboy on that box and fall in love with the cute plucky little stitched guy.

If I eventually get a PS5, this game would be one of the first I would get, especially because my younger brother loves Sackboy but never really goes with Sony (Still has his PS3 set up) and when we both lived at home he bought all the Little Big Planet games available for the PS3.

• Like 1

Heard nothing but good things about this one, and seems the same here. Once I’ve made my way through some of my launch backlog I think this will be on my list of games to pick up.

If anyone is playing this at the moment and fancies grinding some multiplayer trophies I could use some help :D 

I started playing this yesterday. Onto world two currently and I’m a bit… bored. 
It reminds me a lot of Super Luckys Tale, but that is a better game (so far) IMO. 

I liked the collectibles better on SLT. The letters of LUCKY (DK style), and the gems etc. This is just blue orbs which don’t look too different than the costume collectibles other than their colour. 
Gameplay wise, I’m not keen on the move set at all. Feels like Sack Boy is lacking a double jump, there is a kind of hover / glide mechanic but feels really short and a bit pointless? 

The game looks good, and reminds me of Yoshi games with the knitted and cardboard textures. So far, I’m glad I got it for £20 but not sure if I will even see my way through to the end. May just trade it in if I don’t start enjoying it a bit more. It may be just a bit too cutesy for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aneres11 said:

I started playing this yesterday. Onto world two currently and I’m a bit… bored. 
It reminds me a lot of Super Luckys Tale, but that is a better game (so far) IMO. 

I liked the collectibles better on SLT. The letters of LUCKY (DK style), and the gems etc. This is just blue orbs which don’t look too different than the costume collectibles other than their colour. 
Gameplay wise, I’m not keen on the move set at all. Feels like Sack Boy is lacking a double jump, there is a kind of hover / glide mechanic but feels really short and a bit pointless? 

The game looks good, and reminds me of Yoshi games with the knitted and cardboard textures. So far, I’m glad I got it for £20 but not sure if I will even see my way through to the end. May just trade it in if I don’t start enjoying it a bit more. It may be just a bit too cutesy for me. 

Sad to hear that, I really loved this game, but I've not tried Super Lucky's Tale tbf. I thought the levels in Sackboy were all pretty inventive, each one offering something new.

The hover mechanic comes in handy with the challenge levels, it's a life saver!

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Sad to hear that, I really loved this game, but I've not tried Super Lucky's Tale tbf. I thought the levels in Sackboy were all pretty inventive, each one offering something new.

The hover mechanic comes in handy with the challenge levels, it's a life saver!

I’m going to stick with it. One world isn’t really enough of a chance as if it’s anything like a Mario game, it’ll get better / tougher. 

I did do one challenge level last night and really enjoyed it actually! 

• Like 1

Heh, I take it back. Into world 3 now and seeing way more variety. 
Enjoying it a lot more now. I still find the platforming a little clunky at times. I think it’s the moveset and control of Sack Boy that’s the issue. I also HATE the health system. Is it 2 hits and you lose a life? It isn’t clear at all. 

It also takes quite a while to bring you back after losing a life, which can impact certain challenges like getting the blue orb things. 
Niggles aside, much better now I’m further in! I imagine it’s great fun in co-op. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

I played one or two levels back when the PS5 launched as my brother picked it up. 

I don't think he's got very far in it or even played it since those early days but.. yeh, I was bored too!

I've been known to make a call pretty quickly with some games and that is definitely the case here. I just knew immediately from the way it felt that it wasn't going to give me what I was looking for.

I guess Nintendo have just spoiled me with Mario for too long :grin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nekunando said:

I played one or two levels back when the PS5 launched as my brother picked it up. 

I don't think he's got very far in it or even played it since those early days but.. yeh, I was bored too!

I've been known to make a call pretty quickly with some games and that is definitely the case here. I just knew immediately from the way it felt that it wasn't going to give me what I was looking for.

I guess Nintendo have just spoiled me with Mario for too long :grin:

I am glad I stuck with it. It has definitely started to improve for me now I am at world 4. Some of the levels have been quite clever, particularly the ones that give you additional items to use to get Sack Boy through them. 
Difficulty has ramped up too which was needed. I don’t think it’ll go down as a classic, but the production of the game is pretty top notch. Good voice acting with some famous voices (Dawn French), and I’m pretty sure the Meerkat from Compare the Market voices the clothes shop guy! 
They also have some pretty famous songs and melodies in some levels, so they must have forked out a pretty penny for the rights to those too! 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this