NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Gran Turismo 7 (4th March 2022)

Looks much more like a placeholder than the other box arts just released, but this and a description have gone up on Amazon:

EheFntPXkAUgLEg?format=jpg&name=large

Gran Turismo™ 7 builds on 22 years of experience to bring you the best features from the history of the franchise. Whether you’re a competitive racer, collector, fine-tuning builder, livery designer, photographer or arcade fan – ignite your personal passion for cars with features inspired by the past, present and future of Gran Turismo. From classic vehicles and tracks to the reintroduction of the legendary GT Simulation Mode – enjoy the best features from past installments of the series.

But Gran Turismo 7 is also about more than racing. Explore all that the Real Driving Simulator can be with new tools to help you put your own mark on your driving experiences. Refine and create in the evolved tuning and customization mode or improve your skills and racing strategies through Driving School.

Footage of a lap of the Deep Forest Raceway was dropped yesterday:

Looking good! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Hell yeah! Seems like we've heard so little at this point, hope they've got a lot to show off! 

I've got to say, my hype for this has been growing substantially over the last few weeks. It's been a very long time since I've really sunk my teeth into a driving sim, much less a Gran Turismo.

I quit FIFA cold turkey a couple of months ago, which is going well so far, but I do miss having game I can just return to and relax with, so fingers crossed that this will be the game to fill that hole (and to also help delay me picking up a Series X for Forza!). 

EDIT: well, it's going to be a meaty one. 30 minutes!

The first 2022 State of Play arrives later this week, and we're all revved up for just over 30 minutes of new PS5 footage and gameplay details for Gran Turismo 7.

Edited by Julius

What am I doing with my life?
I have virtually no interest in cars and I suck at driving simulation games but I watched the entire State of Play and I was completely absorbed. :D 

That was such a cool showing. 
The game looks ridiculously good, the amount of customization possibilities is insane and don't even get me started on content.

As I said, my interest in cars is non-existent but hot damn, this showcase kinda makes me want to get the game :laughing: 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

Well, inject GT7 into my veins. Damn.

A lot of tracks shown (a lot of menus too!), a crazy array of cars, insanely snobby tech (best sky boxes confirmed?), some hilarious moments of commentary, and Moon Over The Castle is basically an anime outro, which I'm always all about. 

I'm so happy right now, it's been a loooooong time since I've played a Gran Turismo game, and I cannot wait to sink my teeth into this. I love just how much Polyphony are doing to share their love of cars in such a variety of ways (listening to designers at the café, the museum, Scapes, etc.). I used to obsess over car magazines growing up, and have fond memories of flicking through thick books packed to the brim with automobile history, so these additions look to be right up my alley, and will take me back to those rainy Sundays lying on the sofa, losing myself in the joy of cars. License tests are being back too, how haven't I mentioned that yet? Gah, haven't felt this excited about cars in a good while! 

Think I've just found my FIFA replacement. 

My verdict on the State of Play for GT7: 8/10. As great a showing as it needed to be.

Roll on March 4th! 

Edited by Julius

13 hours ago, Julius said:

My verdict on the State of Play for GT7: 8/10. As great a showing as it needed to be.

Yeah, it was certainly one of the best they've put out. I found the whole thing quite relaxing.

The game looks absolutely stunning. I'm happy to see that a proper single player campaign is in this one but i'm still not sure if i'll pick the game up. I haven't truly enjoyed a GT game since GT3. After that I found the series to get far too realistic for my liking. 

I was happy that Moon Over The Castle made an appearance before the show was over. I love that song to bits. :heart:

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, it was certainly one of the best they've put out. I found the whole thing quite relaxing.

The game looks absolutely stunning. I'm happy to see that a proper single player campaign is in this one but i'm still not sure if i'll pick the game up. I haven't truly enjoyed a GT game since GT3. After that I found the series to get far too realistic for my liking. 

I was happy that Moon Over The Castle made an appearance before the show was over. I love that song to bits. :heart:

Relaxing is definitely the way to put it.

Sometimes I tune in for a State of Play and I feel like they have somewhere else they need to be. Here, they were clear and concise with everything they wanted to convey, but they took their time explaining all of it instead of rushing through, which this event definitely benefitted from. Yamauchi was even kind enough to lecture us on the weather. 

And GT3 is my favourite, totally no bias with that being the one to define my childhood on the PS2 or anything :laughing: best case I'll love this game and can put off a Series X even longer (really been getting a Forza craving lately), worst case it'll tide me over for a bit. Definitely got an appetite for it now though! 

Well, I was aleady stoked for this but following the State of Play..........Wow!!!

Music Rally looks a lot of fun and with 300 tunes thats one hell of a soundtrack!

• Like 1

Cant wait. Way overdue for a numbered GT. I assume this is the sort of independence Bungie will have :cheeky:

Can see car tickets are back. Keen to see how much Online RPG the game is now after GT5/6, which had early elements of many online games now.

I KNEW IT, I knew that I heard Nothing But Thieves in that SoP.

They always deliver.

GTPlanet and other members of the media woke up to review copies of Gran Turismo 7 in our Inboxes this morning. We can confirm the international review embargo lifts on March 2 at 11:01 AM GMT (convert this to your local time here). Our written and video reviews of the game will both be published at that time.

• Like 1

Reviews (and impressions from reviews in progress) are starting to come in, and they're looking good. 

Digital Foundry technical review is also up:

In no real rush to pump hours into GT7 as I don't think I'm okay pumping Elden Ring time into other games (maybe I'll just start the career), but I'm in for the long haul with it, so very excited to see how it's turned out.

Roll on Friday :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Sony's output has been nothing but spectacular in recent years.
Especially PS5 players are feasting with (obviously) superior versions.

GT7 is still not really a game I'm willing to buy early in its lifetime. Something to get further down the line :D 

Can't wait to read some impressions in here. And I need screenshots!

12 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sony's output has been nothing but spectacular in recent years.

Their output has been strong, not spectacular, and they've played it very, very safe. Weren't you complaining that Nintendo just gives us the same thing over and over? The last few years have given us, another Gran Turismo, another Last of Us, another Horizon, another Ratchet and Clank, another Spider-Man, another Uncharted, we're getting another God of War shortly... the list goes on. It's easy to make new IP like Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima when the use the same third person openworld action game template Sony have been using for nearly a decade.

But yeah, the quality of said titles has been very strong. Just very safe and predictable.

I don't tend to like driving games like the GT series but for some reason I'm actually quite interested in playing this one.

43 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I don't tend to like driving games like the GT series but for some reason I'm actually quite interested in playing this one.

Same.

My sister's boyfriend has a racing seat and one of those cool and awesome steering wheels (his words, not mine). I'll try the game at his place in a few weeks and make my decision :D 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drahkon said:

My sister's boyfriend has a racing seat and one of those cool and awesome steering wheels (his words, not mine).

Which one has he got and what do you think of it? I’ve been thinking of getting a Fanatec wheel at some point in the future.

2 hours ago, Will said:

Which one has he got and what do you think of it? I’ve been thinking of getting a Fanatec wheel at some point in the future.

No idea. Remind me to tell you in a few weeks. I won't see my family for at least two more weeks :( 

Edited by drahkon

Got the Digital Deluxe version of the game and so hopped on with a couple of mates at midnight. One of them messed up the pre-load so jumped off after he realised he could only play the Music Rally ad nauseam, and my other mate hopped off around 01:30. 

So anyways, here I am starting to type this at 05:30 (I'm off work at the moment so no need to fear for my lack of sleep :p), which should say a lot. This game is good. Like, addictively good. I was hoping it would be my FIFA replacement going in, and now there's no doubt in my mind that it's going to fill the role of a less intense game dutifully.

So far I've completed a handful of races and got Gold in all of the A and B license tests, and spent extra time in those license tests trying to best my mate who got the game a day early (I now hold the better times for most of the tests - for now!) - some of those are insanely tough, and the feeling of being 0.002 seconds off a Gold is excruciating, but it's too much fun to put down. The game feels incredibly responsive and smooth, and the menus and short load times feel super snappy. 

Oh, and in a proper throwback to the days in my childhood with GT3: my left thumb looks a little worse for wear and the print-side of my right middle finger is tender from battling with the trigger. 

Firstly: the haptics. The game feels kind of nuts. The way it reacts to a change in surface and conveys it to you through feel - be it the chug-chug of a Tokyo speedway or hitting the grass - is kind of insane. Jury is still out for me on the adaptive triggers, can't figure out whether I'm a fan or not with how they're used here, but I do feel like I'm compensating for their adaptive nature by just tightening my hold on them, which probably isn't great in the long term. 

Visually, the game looks stunning. Next time I hop on I'll be sure to take some screenshots, but for now I've been playing in the mode prioritising frame rate, and I've not noticed a single dropped frame so far (I'm usually pretty sensitive to this stuff as a dodgy frame rate can make me feel dizzy). Not too surprising really based on what Digital Foundry were reporting, seems like Polyphony did a great job polishing the game up. 

This all being said, there are some odd decisions to be found in the game. For instance, the game requires online at all times otherwise you are SEVERELY limited in what you can do (I think it's basically an exhibition race with a choice of 12 or so cars?), and if that wasn't frustrating enough, the online multiplayer mode - in a game which needs to always be online - isn't accessible from the get-go?

There are also some odd choices in terms of the car lineup, maybe it's just because I haven't played a racing sim in so long (Forza Motorsport 4) but...man, is it thin on the ground in some areas. No doubt more is coming down the road, but a quick look through Brand Central showed some pretty major supercar and hypercar brands being MIA, such as Koenigsegg and SSC, and some really big name cars are missing too. No Bugatti Chiron? Again, it's probably coming down the line, but I didn't expect to come back to racing sims to find less cars in the games now than when I last played them ::shrug: might be a case those brands have deals I'm not aware of, but it does seem like there's stuff missing. 

Lastly, a minor annoyance I've spotted but will surely grow accustomed to, so I'll mention it now: the default option that your cursor is hovering over after completing a License Test is 'Exit' rather than 'Retry', which is a pain to remember when you're ten attempts into trying to get Gold or beat a friend's best time and just want to smash 'X' and jump back straight back in. However if you fail the test (for example, you hit a wall or drive the entire car off the track) your cursor hovers over 'Retry'...so they clearly know what's up. Strikes me as an odd decision. 

But yeah, had a lot of fun, and really looking forward to taking my time (..?) and chipping away at this game. 

• Thanks 1

Shit...I may need to get this after all, don't I?

Thinking about trading in my last Switch game (Super Mario 3D All-Stars) and H:FW to get this for 10 bucks... :D 

• Haha 1

Watch out, this game features some pretty aggressive monitization that Sony haven't been public about...

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/gran-turismo-7s-microtransactions-are-live-and-gt-sports-5-cars-now-cost-40/

There are four packs of credits available on the PlayStation Store, costing the following amounts each:

100,000 credits – $2.49 / £1.99

250,000 credits – $4.99 / £3.99

750,000 credits – $9.99 / £7.99

2,000,000 credits – $19.99 / £15.99

Cars in the game range from tens or hundreds of thousands of credits for lower-spec vehicles to many millions of credits for the most high-performance ones.

Gran Turismo Sport let players buy individual cars as microtransactions, with the vast majority of cars costing between $0.99 and $4.99 each. This is no longer the case in Gran Turismo 7.

• Angry 1

Sign in to follow this