NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Astro's Playroom (PS5)

Astro and his crew lead you on a magical introduction through PS5 in this fun platformer that comes pre-loaded on PS5. Explore four worlds, each based on PS5’s console components. Each area showcases innovative gameplay that taps into the new features of the PS5's DualSense wireless controller. Astro's Playroom is coming to PlayStation 5.

Taken from the YouTube description.

So it's really just a showcase. That's a little disappointing. I do hope they will make a full game with this little guy in the future.

Not watching any new footage or reading any more news. Going dark for this one until release :D

Happy to see that it's reviewing great, though. The DualSense seems to be quite impressive.

Some cool insight from Team Asobi on the PlayStation Blog about how they set out to fully utilise the DualSense's new and unique features. 

Also seem to be hinting at more Astro being on the way, heck yeah!

Final paragraph:

There you have it! That was a brief overview of what Astro’s Playroom has in store for you when you get your hands on PlayStation 5. We at Team Asobi had a blast making this game. It is pre-loaded in every PS5, meaning it is our gift to you, the amazing PlayStation community. We would not be here without you and we wanted to show you our most sincere appreciation.  Astro will be back with news soon. Until then, have a great time with your PS5 and above all, stay warm and safe!

Edited by Julius

Just finished Cooling Springs.

I need a break. This has been the greatest gaming experience of my life. I'm not joking.
The DualSense is the real deal. It blows next-gen graphics, faster load times, 3D audio and everything else you wanna throw at me out of the water.

The very first time I've had to actually "fight" against the triggers...mind blowing. That was such a weird moment. I was very apprehensive at first. :laughing: But once I literally pushed through, it was incredible. Such a simple (not from an engineering standpoint, I assume) mechanic but it works so perfectly. And Astro's Playroom appears to be the best showcase for the DualSense's features.
The haptic feedback...I've read impressions like "when you walk on glass, you actually feel it", but I was a little skeptical. Now I can say: it's true.

Speaking of the game itself...I'm still grinning from ear to ear :D What an amazing nod to PlayStation history and what a joy it is to play.
ASTRO is such an expressive fella. Cute as a button and simply wonderful to control. Cooling Springs was fun from start to finish. No boring moment, so much to explore and...I'm going to repeat myself...it was a joy.

Well...that's it for me. I'm going back into the PS5.

What a start. :peace:

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

The very first time I've had to actually "fight" against the triggers...mind blowing. That was such a weird moment. I was very apprehensive at first. :laughing: But once I literally pushed through, it was incredible. Such a simple (not from an engineering standpoint, I assume) mechanic but it works so perfectly. And Astro's Playroom appears to be the best showcase for the DualSense's features.

I had the same thing. Thought something was wrong at first as nothing was happening but I realised I'd only pressed the trigger half way down then just felt the pressure so stopped out of habit.

26 minutes ago, drahkon said:

The DualSense is the real deal. It blows next-gen graphics, faster load times, 3D audio and everything else you wanna throw at me out of the water.

Yeah I have to agree with this, DualSense is the star of this launch.

This game is just so nicely done and so many awesome references to everything Playstation. As a showcase of what is possible it’s really done a fantastic job. Nice to have to to come back to in between other games. I probably wouldn’t have bought it but I’m so glad I have it.

Can't stop smiling while playing this :D The charm is unmatched. :heart:

Look at this sad little guy (and the annoying prick who plays on his PSVita next to him :laughing:)

Edit: Just progressed through the level and...

Spoiler

It starts raining...the sound...the haptics...unbelievable.

You can hear and feel each raindrop. :o

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

Finished it.

Unbelievable.

What a game. Sorry, Ratchet & Clank (PS4), you are no longer the greatest 3D-platformer in existence. ASTRO'S Playroom is.
It's a wonderful introduction to the DualSense and an incredible game in its own right.

Can't believe this is free.

Everybody with a PS5 needs to play this. And I hope that every dev out there plays this to get some pointers on how to make the most of the new controller. :D

Now we wait for the "real" ASTRO game.

And I'm off to getting the Platinum :p

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Can't stop smiling while playing this :D The charm is unmatched. :heart:

Look at this sad little guy (and the annoying prick who plays on his PSVita next to him :laughing:)

Edit: Just progressed through the level and...

Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

It starts raining...the sound...the haptics...unbelievable.

You can hear and feel each raindrop. :o

I played the level earlier and the haptics for the bit you mention and a little later are incredible.

Spoiler

When hail started coming down and you could literally feel every tiny clink as it hit Astro was such an amazing touch. Likewise going through the sand and the mud at parts and the little bits of texture that the haptics added really added to the experience.

I'm purposefully taking it slow with the game given that its short but its a fantastic showcase for the controller and just what can be done with it. I doubt we'll see many devs go to the same depths as Team Asobi have with this but if we see similar implementation in other first party titles (as well as third party but I know that that's where its less likely) then this generation is going to be a truly unique experience for gamers on the PS5. I'm already excited at the prospect of GoW: Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West and how they'll make use of the Dualsense.

But yeah, its a superb little game and it being a pack in is insane. I'm looking forward to playing more and for the inevitable next game which sounds to be on the way too.

• Like 1

And there it is, my first PS5 Platinum :D

hJsNb8X.jpg

And also my only criticism so far with the console: That trophy information card isn't great for screenshots :laughing:

Completed the DLC, too:

dEpqtZh.jpg

The speedrun levels are pretty cool. And I say that as a man who hates doing speedruns (I do love watching 'em, though) :p

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, drahkon said:

And there it is, my first PS5 Platinum :D

hJsNb8X.jpg

And also my only criticism so far with the console: That trophy information card isn't great for screenshots :laughing:

Completed the DLC, too:

dEpqtZh.jpg

The speedrun levels are pretty cool. And I say that as a man who hates doing speedruns (I do love watching 'em, though) :p

Nice!

Yeah, noticed that too about the trophy cards when my first trophy popped and I wanted to look it up, does look a bit odd, guess the cards are designed with the app in mind too (which makes sense). 

Really looking forward to giving this a go over the weekend, looks and sounds like such a good time! 

• Like 1

Credits rolled. What a joy this was. 

Give me a full length sequel please, Sony. 

Just need to collect a few remaining puzzle pieces and artifacts and get everything from the gacha machines. 

• Like 1

Just got the Platinum on this, really such a joy all the way through and all the little touches were so well done. Really a great introduction to the PS5 and got me hungry for more.

• Like 3

Completed this earlier today, genuinely might be the most fun game I've played this year.

Awesome music (speaking of, that theme remind anyone else of Starlight by Muse?), precise controls, great level design, and so much humour and heart packed in throughout, but especially with the references to a great legacy of games on PlayStation, the quips in the artefact viewer, and just the interactions amongst the bots themselves. 

Grabbed the Plat about an hour ago...

EndFIuFWEAM_kc9?format=jpg&name=large

...and have since found myself speed running a lot. Some of them aren't so great (that one where you have to use the touchpad especially - my wrist feels much weaker for having completed that!), but I've been having a blast with it for the last hour or so, trying to beat my best times. Can see myself doing this at least for the rest of this evening, if not beyond! Also means I got the add-on trophies too :p

EndFI5yW8AcbNKr?format=jpg&name=large

Also, @drahkon I know you aren't the biggest fan of the cards when it comes to showing off trophies, but I think I've found a better way to do it in Astro's case! :D

Spoiler

EndFIgHXMAY05eO?format=jpg&name=large

So, uh, Astro's sequel when please? Man, this really makes me want to pick up a PSVR for Rescue Mission... :blank:

• Like 2

@Julius my mum made the same observation re: Starlight by Muse when she overheard it from another room, and once you notice, it becomes even more familiar! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr-Paul said:

@Julius my mum made the same observation re: Starlight by Muse when she overheard it from another room, and once you notice, it becomes even more familiar! 

Heck yeah! It's led me to finding this:

Don't think I can ever go back to the original now :p

• Haha 1

Me playing Mountain Run: just one more turn, I'm so close to a sub-40 second run. Once I've done that, I'll call it a night. 

Game:

EndjU5sXEAQmAle?format=jpg&name=large

*uninstalls*

• Haha 1

I am not enjoying this as much as I thought I would. I think it’s because there are motion control sections, which I am really not a fan of. 

The haptics are sometimes a tiny bit overkill too. I mean, I get that’s what the game is built on, but sometimes it’s a bit frantic feeling. When it gets it right though, like the rocket triggers it’s just amazing. I had a big grin on my face the first ten minutes in. I need to get back into it but the motion controls ruined it a bit for me so I’m hoping it was just that one section! 

• Like 1

So, I reinstalled the game. I've had speed running on my mind all day! So I'm not getting to Demon's Souls for a few more days :p

Finally got a sub-40 second time on Mountain Run. Ending is still a bit iffy to be honest, and not my smoothest start, but broke the top 1000 at least! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Ookkkk I played some more and did two other worlds and nooooww I get it. That first world wasn’t that interesting but these others have been great! 

It plays a bit like Super Luckys Tale which I also really liked even though it too was a simplistic platformer. This has much more about it with all the user interactions though. 

The rain has been my favourite haptic feeling so far. Amazing. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this