NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (11th June 2021)

I really enjoyed the PS4 remake. The trailer looks really spectacular and shows good use of the SSD, not sure constantly warping between worlds will be enjoyable to actually play though?

Looks like we're getting to get a better look of that demo in June this Thursday during Gamescom's ONL. 

Looking forward to it! 

It really does. As someone who will be new to the franchise, I was completely sold on what we saw during the PS5 event in June. This and everything they were saying in their interview with Geoff makes it a Day 1 purchase for me. 

Also, for those who missed it, they revealed that the game would be coming in the PS5's "launch window". I supposed that could be read in a lot of ways, but for me, I'm leaning towards that meaning the first six months? Which alongside with Miles Morales means that Insomniac is doing a lot of heavy lifting for PlayStation going into this next gen, and I can't imagine Spider-Man 2 being too far behind in all honesty (I imagine late 2022 at the latest, unless they hit a development speed bump?). 

Insanely good purchase by Sony. 

It looks absolutely stunning. It's great to see next-gen gameplay between this and Halo, I feel like those are the only two that we've seen so far.

Gameplay wise though I kind of tuned out after a couple of minutes, dunno, seems a bit mindless. Hopefully there's some platforming elements and it isn't just a chaotic shooting gallery. The rift system seems more of a tech demo than something that's actually fun, but we'll see, early days yet obviously.

Edited by Ronnie

It looks absolutely stunning. It's great to see next-gen gameplay between this and Halo, I feel like those are the only two that we've seen so far.

Gameplay wise though I kind of tuned out after a couple of minutes, dunno, seems a bit mindless. Hopefully there's some platforming elements and it isn't just a chaotic shooting gallery. The rift system seems more of a tech demo than something that's actually fun, but we'll see, early days yet obviously.

I think showing gameplay has been something most studios have kind of underestimated this year - as in, they have not realised gameplay is what people really want to see.

Mind you, I bet the developers of Halo wish they hadn't shown gameplay in hindsight.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Mind you, I bet the developers of Halo wish they hadn't shown gameplay in hindsight.

Pretty impressive that Halo runs at native 4K and 60fps regardless.

Pretty impressive that Halo runs at native 4K and 60fps regardless.

Well I wouldn't say it's "regardless" - it probably runs at 4k60 because it was more or less a current gen game, graphically speaking. That's why they got the backlash and that's why they've delayed it. 

If you think about it, you can get anything to run at 4k60 if you tone down the graphics enough, so for me that isn't impressive.

For comparison, Ratchet and Clank looked like an actual next gen game, which is probably why you can either run it at 4k30 or checkboard 60 FPS.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

I'd say it isn't "regardless" - it can run at 4k60 because it was more or less a current gen game, graphically speaking. That's why they got the backlash and that's why they've delayed it.

For comparison, Ratchet and Clank looked like an actual next gen game, which is probably why you can either run it at 4k30 or checkboard 60 FPS.

4K60 is not current gen. It's a different priority to Ratchet's 1080/60 or 4K/30 which is all about visual fidelity and putting as much on screen as possible.

Who knows why they've delayed it, we've no idea really. Covid likely a factor at least.

4K60 is not current gen. It's a different priority to Ratchet's 1080/60 or 4K/30 which is all about visual fidelity and putting as much on screen as possible.Who knows why they've delayed it, we've no idea really. Covid likely a factor at least.

The thing is though, they're achieving 4k60 with what is in effect a current gen game (it has to run on base X1), which is to be expected rather than impressive. The game not looking next gen was the reason behind the backlash they received.

If they took God of War on PS4 and ported it to PS5 but doubled the framerate, you'd absolutely expect that at a minimum, wouldn't you? You wouldn't expect it to run at the same level as it did on PS4. In fact this is basically what they did with The Last of Us. When they put this out on PS4 it ran at double the framerate of the PS3 game.

Also blaming COVID for the delay was very clearly an excuse, and one that you don't have to look too close at to unravel. Look at how close they were to the game going gold (October) before they delayed it. They also put out a demo (if they had known how it would have been received there's no way they would have done that) and then they only delayed it after the backlash to the demo. To top it off, they have just brought in some ex-Bungie staff to try and get it into shape - if this was purely an issue with home working causing delays then this seems like a very questionable choice.

They had been working on the game for 5 years - what we saw in the demo could not have been corrected by a few extra months in the office, had COVID never happened.

On 8/28/2020 at 5:36 AM, Julius said:

It really does. As someone who will be new to the franchise, I was completely sold on what we saw during the PS5 event in June. This and everything they were saying in their interview with Geoff makes it a Day 1 purchase for me. 

This is the same for me. I wasn’t even really sure about it up until that gameplay demo. Sure some of it looks a bit tech demo-ish but it’s still doing it in a fun way and I really look forward to playing it. I’ll be picking it up as soon as it launches too.

Yeh, I agree it’s very much a case of ‘this is what the new console is capable of’.  With the reputation of the Ratchett & Clank series I do feel more reassured that it’s more than merely a tech demo.  For me so far it’s the only game that’s really justified the next gen for me.

I'm not sure where the tech demo stuff is coming from. Surely every "big" game or every first party game is a tech demo in some way, as you expect those types of games to push the system more than your average game will.

It looks brilliant, imo. Looks fun, colourful, humorous, gorgeous to look at, and I'm sure it's a blast to play. Definitely interested. Never played a Ratchet game before, so going into it with low expectations. 

Everyone who hasn't played the original PS2 Ratchet and Clank games are missing out on absolute comedy gold. They are some of the funniest games I've played... the gameplay foundations for the modern games were built up during that period of time.

The first game is a bit patchy in some of it's controls because they didn't have strafing and the health progression system was somewhat questionable but they fixed that from the second game onwards by adding RPG elements, the more you use certain weapons the better they become, so you become incentivised to use all your weapons so that you can level them up, something which was expanded upon as the series progressed.

Oh, and Doctor Neferious, the villain mentioned in the Rift Apart Trailer, is one of the best villains in gaming. Is it any wonder that he became the regular series antagonist when you have instances like these:

As for Rift Apart, it looks very solid. Very much like a Ratchet and Clank game in HD but with way more inventive level design thanks to the portal mechanics. I haven't seen Captain Qwark in the new game yet interestingly enough, so it would be interesting if they can do a game without him in there.

If anyone's interested in picking up some of the older Ratchet and Clank games I definitely recommend the first three games in the series, they all got released on an HD collection on PS3 but I think that's the latest release any of them got. And if the first one doesn't quite hit home in every way I assure you the series gets better with each entry as they refine the games a bit more, with Going Commando/Locked and Loaded and Up Your Arsenal/3 fixing all the major problems with the first game.

Confirmation that it will be a PS5 exclusive from Insomniac:

No surprises there! 

• Like 1

The game has been rated in Taiwan:

Also remember reading a couple of days ago that the 2021 release window on the official PlayStation website had been removed in some territories, so it seems like we might be getting some news about a release date soon? 

Could see it being June, we seem to get these things a few months out. Returnal in April after it's delay, and they've got the exclusive marketing rights on Resident Evil Village releasing in May, then this in June? Pretty solid spring for them. 

Edited by Julius

Well, there we have it: June 11th! 

My above post aged really well :D and going to edit the title of the thread, I realise this will be a year to the day since it was originally announced. That's pretty cool. 

Key art looks great too:

Et9SHNVXAAIM7oq?format=jpg&name=large

Guess I've got a few months to go back and play the PS4 game then! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Wow! That’s a lot sooner than I was expecting! (Was thinking that it’d probably be their big November game this year!)

Good on ‘em for getting it out so soon.  I guess they really don’t sleep!

• Like 1

I think the key art translates really well to the box:

Et9SWlNXEAM2hdI?format=jpg&name=900x900

Got to say, those PS5 game boxes have quickly grown on me. On the female Lombax...

So...Rose? Rosie? Roze with a 'z', because it's the future? Maybe Rhose, with a silent 'h'? 

:p

• Like 1

I was expecting this around April/May so June isn't too bad. Can't come soon enough as there's now a bit of a drought on PS5 for me personally, nothing really until then apart from Kena (?) and LEGO Skywalker Saga.

Sign in to follow this