NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Horizon: Forbidden West (18th February 2022)

19 minutes ago, bob said:

Is anyone getting the PS4 version? I want to know if it's worth it or not.

Digital Foundry say it's great.

To quote the title of the article: "Horizon is a technical masterpiece on PS4 and Pro". You'll also get a free upgrade to the PS5 version should you buy one down the line.

I would generally advise to wait though, these first party games tend to be less than half the price within a year.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bob said:

Is anyone getting the PS4 version? I want to know if it's worth it or not.

Digital Foundry's PS5 vs PS4 vs PS4 Pro comparison might also be a help if you want to see how drastic some of the differences are:

EDIT: Sheikah'd

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

In an interview with NU.nl, Mathijs de Jonge (the game's director) has shared that the game's delays were necessary to avoid crunch -- otherwise it might have made it out before Christmas. 

"That happens very little with us. We are very aware of the disadvantages of crunching, so we take that into account a lot in our planning. To give an example, at Christmas we said that there would be no work and that everyone could just have a two-week vacation. The company was closed, you couldn't even go there to work."

"Some people like to keep working, they don't necessarily want Christmas vacations. That's allowed, we're not going to stop that. But from the company's point of view, we send a very strong message."

"Forbidden West might have come out at the end of last year, but then we might have had to work overtime. People also need to be able to relax and take vacations, for example to be with family and friends. That also played into the decision to only release the game now."

You love to see it, and it's another one in very heavy contrast to the stories we've seen over the last few years from other studios. 

The interview is pretty short and touches on the variety of cultures represented at Guerrilla, as well as the choice to go with a female protagonist for Horizon after Killzone, so it's well worth a read. Just get Translate or DeepL to hand, as it is in Dutch. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117b497ff43ffe26fa1f4742bed483ca1669efabc5&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Guess who's got his copy :D 

Gotta take care of some real life stuff, but gonna jump in very soon :bouncy: 

• Like 1

Really enjoying it. Have to say that was a very weak and slow start. The linear part was torture for me. Felt nothing like where we left the last game. Luckily once the game goes open world it just accelerates!

The first actual Forbidden West area (several hours later) is really special. It's firing on all cylinders right now.

Cant wait to back in.

• Like 2

2 1/2 hours in.

The game is drop dead gorgeous. 

Spoiler

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220218155300.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220218172226.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220218194028.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220218194429.jp

I can't believe how stunning it looks.

Haven't done much, so far, aside from completing the lengthy tutorial (a little too long for my taste). Now I'm in the open world but not really? I think it's kind of an extension to the tutorial, but I'm not entirely sure.

Done an introduction to the board game. Seems interesting. I'll dive deeper soon enough, but for now I'll rather take care of some side quests.

So far so good. Very impressed with the technical side of the game. Can't say much about the gameplay. Will give more impressions on that once the world truly opens up.

Played the beginning so far which is essentially the tutorial. It took some getting used to the controls again. It goes over a very brief summary of Zero Dawn, but I'm glad I read this story recap before playing. 

The game looks and runs great, looking forward to getting stuck into the story.

Enjoying the slow tutorial so far but man, someone on the dev team needs to turn the sharpness slider down from 1 million to something a bit easier on the eye.

I also genuinely can't decide whether to run on Performance or Graphics modes. I'll probably go with 60fps but the game is in desperate need for a middle ground (which will no doubt annoyingly release in a month or two after most people have finished it)

After 5 1/2 hours I've reached Forbidden West, i.e. the open world.
Have only done one thing: overridden the first Tallneck. And yes, now the true Horizon journey begins :D Lots of stuff to discover. As always, I will wander around and explore the world on my own, mainly using the compass to get my bearings. And if I want to progress more efficiently, I'll use the map. :) 

Took three more screenshots:

Spoiler

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220218235356.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220219000715.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220219003408.jp

Now the game has opened up. :peace: And that means: I will spend even more time in photo mode.

Getting a little tired, though, so might actually take a break for tonight and get back to it tomorrow  :D 

Can't say it enough: The game looks phenomenal. 
Facial animations are insane

Overall it feels similar like the step up from Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2. Improvements all around. Obviously it's still early days, but what I've played so far is incredible.

• Like 1

Had planned to play this weekend, have to wait until Monday now as DPD had a request from someone to redeliver it then.

No idea who requested a redelivery

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Had planned to play this weekend, have to wait until Monday now as DPD had a request from someone to redeliver it then.

No idea who requested a redelivery

Might be due to the weather yesterday.

13 hours ago, drahkon said:

After 5 1/2 hours I've reached Forbidden West, i.e. the open world.
Have only done one thing: overridden the first Tallneck. And yes, now the true Horizon journey begins :D Lots of stuff to discover. As always, I will wander around and explore the world on my own, mainly using the compass to get my bearings. And if I want to progress more efficiently, I'll use the map. :) 

Took three more screenshots:

yupyup (Reveal hidden contents)

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220218235356.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220219000715.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220219003408.jp

Now the game has opened up. :peace: And that means: I will spend even more time in photo mode.

Getting a little tired, though, so might actually take a break for tonight and get back to it tomorrow  :D 

Can't say it enough: The game looks phenomenal. 
Facial animations are insane

Overall it feels similar like the step up from Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2. Improvements all around. Obviously it's still early days, but what I've played so far is incredible.

Yeah blown away here. Keep going, There is so much more to do this time round. So many great characters and locations. I feel open world RPG could also fit this game's description.

IMO dont waste too much time in the first open area. Get to the Forbidden West! Nothing wrong with the first open area but its like a small taster compared to later. You have plenty of  back and forth travel anyway.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Choze said:

IMO dont waste too much time in the first open area. Get to the Forbidden West!

Yeah, I did.
Surprisingly, I've advanced the story a bit further. Usually I just explore and gear up more in games like this one. But the story is really good and just kept me going. 

I'm now able to venture further into the west and will do exactly that. 

10 hours in now and I think it's time to do a lot more exploring. :D 

Love the side quests. They are one of the biggest improvements compared to the first game. They have their own story and interesting characters. :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drahkon said:

I think it's time to do a lot more exploring.

That didn't work. Got sucked into the main quest again. The story is ramping up and I wanted to see where it goes. Very intriguing.

After a few main quests I was able to unlock a certain side activity:

Spoiler

The Arena

Some weapons and armors are available as rewards, so naturally I tried to get at least one of those. Took me a while, 'cause the challenges are quite tough. But I did get one awesome weapon :cool: 
Haven't tried it in the field, yet, but given its rarity it might be way too strong for where I'm at. Just the way I like it :D 

I wish picking up materials was as instant as it is in Ghost of Tsushima. The animations in H:FW can be a little annoying if you decide to gather lots of materials quickly. Have also encountered a few visual glitches, mostly while climbing stuff.
But these are the only annoyances so far in 15 hours. It's a very polished game and a joy to play :peace: 

• Like 1

I think I'm at the point where I enter the Forbidden West now, been slowly going around the area trying to do all the optional quests. Noticed a few things which are inaccessible and presumably require an item/skill picked up later in the game.

What skill trees is everyone levelling up so far? I've been putting all my points into machine master so far, hoping it pays off when I can override more machines.

One think I can't help but do is compare the world design and stealth mechanics to the previous game I played, Pokémon Legends. Forbidden West is just leagues ahead in every regard.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Noticed a few things which are inaccessible and presumably require an item/skill picked up later in the game.

Yup. It's why I've been doing some more main quests for two hours now. Want to unlock all of that so I can explore every nook and cranny :D 

21 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

What skill trees is everyone levelling up so far?

Mostly Warrior and Survivor. I'm playing pretty aggressively and the increased damage and healing help a lot.

Almost 22 hours of playtime now. 

Think I've reached the final mission and...big gameplay spoilers coming up:

Spoiler

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220220220705.jp

There it is. Flying a Sunwing :cool: 

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220220222608.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220220223429.jp

It was such a cool moment when you first took to the skies. Now the real game begins :D 

Still...I'm a little disappointed that the flying mount was introduced this late into the story. If I had actually played the game as I usually play open world games, i.e. finish most if not all side activities whenever they appear, I'd be quite annoyed. Wouldn't have been able to get much use of it, then. (that is, if I'm actually right before the final mission - pretty sure I am :p).

Luckily, the story kept me going and I finished main mission after main mission so now I get to have all the fun with the Sunwing and side activities. :) 

Anyways. Have I mentioned that the game is gorgeous? 

Spoiler

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220220215037.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220219112015.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220220201430.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220220171244.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220220170617.jp

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220220170320.jp

Bonus:
Praise the sun!

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220220164947.jp

TWELVE hours in and I've finally reached the main openworld of the game :o Though tbf I was really taking my time and doing everything I could in the previous area. 

Really enjoying it. It's as cookie cutter as most Sony openworld games so far, but that doesn't mean it's not a ton of fun, the combat especially. Hopefully the collectibles and activities will be enjoyable (unlike the last 3rd person adventure game GOT, imo).

Facial animation is a huge step up from the first game, some of the characters even this early on blow me away with how good they look.

So yeah, more of the same as the first game, just better. Looking forward to diving in some more.

Just finished Death's Door on the main quest, the stories definitely gone up a few gears.

Spoiler

I was not expecting another Elizabeth Sobeck clone, and people with really advanced gear. I wonder if they're somehow survivors from before the extinctions, which have been in stasis or something all that time.

Noticed 1 purple icon when scanning that I never managed to get to, not sure if I missed something valuable?

The amount of ways this game wastes your time is obnoxious. I feel like 80% of the things I discover are just blocked paths where you need a tool to proceed. Or climbing up the side of a cliff, getting to 75% of the way up and finding the yellow handrails just stop, not allowing you to go all the way. 

When you flood an openworld map full of checkbox busywork, at least make the majority of it stuff the player can actually do. I've never seen anything like this. So demoralising, and makes you hate the whole 'content for content sake' design of these AAA games all the more.

Edited by Ronnie

The game's soundtrack is being released in three waves on all streaming platforms, starting with Volume 1 on Friday:

• Like 2

One thing that seems to be missing from the original is all the weird sound effects and little jingle when you shoot parts off machines and collect them after. I kinda miss that, made the game very unique.

I finished the story quicker due to Destiny Witch Queen's release. Progreession focus is necessary for many weapons, abiltiies and:

Spoiler

Inlcuding a major one that almost negates any climbing and travel lol

This game had some great Human/Earth themes and serious technology discussion (Turing test, AI ethics etc.) despite having animal and dinosaur robots!

Looks like there is some continuation after the story too!

Absolutely loved the game and one of my all time favourites. Well done to the team at Guerilla!

• Like 2

There's some terrible game design in this. 

At one point in the story it gives you three objectives to complete, "do them in any order you want but start with this one, because", so a very clear order to proceed through these main missions. Fine.

Unfortunately the map is FULL of blocked paths that require a certain tool to get past. It genuinely feels like half of the ? marks on the map are this type of barrier. So half way through the first objective of the three, I stumble on a ruin, which are some of the more rare examples of authored level design in the game. But no, blocked path, as per usual.

I look online to find out when you get the tool to get past all these dozens of barriers I've come across? ... at the end of the third, highest level, objective, on the far edge of the map. 

Ridiculous.

I got to what I think is probably the end game mission last week. Been doing side quests since, but I don't think I can be bothered doing some of the collection stuff.

Spoiler

I finished the salvage contract missions, it was a nice conclusion and the armour you get from it is pretty good.

The cauldron with the tallneck was a nice surprise.

The very Bioware-esque companions and missions were all great, definitely an improvement over the original game. 

Spoiler

The races suck. It's got the worst rubber banding I've ever seen, it feels like random luck if you happen to be in 1st position at the end or not.

Climbing has mostly been fine, but there have been a few places where I've fallen to oblivion trying to do what should be a really basic jump.

Just platinum'd this. Really enjoyed the storyline, far more than the first game. Visuals were stunning. Companions were great, good idea to give them loyalty type missions (without the actual loyalty part).

I thought the openworld was as samey as most other Sony/Ubisoft games, was hoping for something a bit more RDR2/BOTW/Elden Ring but seems not.

Really enjoyed the cauldrons and tallnecks though, I like how each one feels pretty unique.

Climbing I thought was terrible. There was no gameplay to most of it really, just hold up, so it was pretty tedious and boring.

Overall though had a great time, mostly because of the storyline, visuals and cauldrons.

Sign in to follow this