NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Horizon: Forbidden West (18th February 2022)

1 minute ago, Julius said:

You're still in for Elden Ring though, right? :p

Sadly not for a while. Money isn't sitting as loose as I'd like. Maybe once I'm able to trade in H:FW and GoT: DC (as soon as my sister's boyfriend is finished with it).

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

Also: good luck with your exams! :peace:

And that list of accessibility settings is incredible. 

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Story So Far is the other one for me that stands out and sounds like it could prove useful! 

I wish every (J)RPG had this setting...

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sadly not for a while. Money isn't sitting as loose as I'd like. Maybe once I'm able to trade in H:FW and GoT: DC (as soon as my sister's boyfriend is finished with it).

zC3.gif

That's fair!

Honestly I still can't believe neither of those games budged on their release dates, to be honest. If you want to play both at launch you really need to put a shift in to get through Forbidden West, otherwise you just need to pick your battles.

Then again, it's like that for six weeks once Horizon launches, this quarter is nuts! 

12 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I wish every (J)RPG had this setting...

Absolutely. I feel like it should honestly be standard for games that are very long or somewhat story-based, just make them skippable. If Metal Gear Solid and Dragon Quest XI can do it, games that honestly don't need to with how truncated (in a good way) some story beats are in those games are, it really should be elsewhere. 

Plus, it'd be hilarious in a From Software game...

Last time...

...you died to the same boss. A lot. And freed a man who went on to kill an innocent lady. Curse you. 

:D

Cinematic trailer time:

The game is now up for pre-load too, for anyone going digital. 

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Crazy numbers :o 

Damn, that's insane! Especially more so when you think it's a totally new IP when compared with most other 20+ million first party sellers for PS4 being from already established IP, like God of War and Spider-Man.

I've heard bits and pieces through podcasts about the turnaround of the PC version of the game too, so it seems even more deserving. PlayStation are being very picky and late to the party with their PC ports, but they seem to be on the right track to making them count. 

I'm really curious to see how Forbidden West turns out. With the (hindered) growth of the PS5 install base since launch, I expect that we'll hear that it's the biggest first party launch on the platform to date. You know, before that same thing is said like another three or four times over the next year or two :laughing:

• Like 1

I'm still debating whether to pick it up at launch. I would really like to play through the original again before playing the sequel but I'm too busy with other games at the moment. Plus, I really don't want to be paying £60 for a standard edition of a game.

I'm still debating whether to pick it up at launch. I would really like to play through the original again before playing the sequel but I'm too busy with other games at the moment. Plus, I really don't want to be paying £60 for a standard edition of a game.
I'd say don't bother, most of these types of games end up around £25 or less within a year.

I rarely buy at launch now and only in specific circumstances. I've pre-ordered Elden Ring because the closed network test was fantastic and it's under £40. If there's a Nintendo game I really want then I'll also probably buy at launch, knowing it will probably never reduce in price much.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Damn, that's insane! Especially more so when you think it's a totally new IP when compared with most other 20+ million first party sellers for PS4 being from already established IP, like God of War and Spider-Man.

I've heard bits and pieces through podcasts about the turnaround of the PC version of the game too, so it seems even more deserving. PlayStation are being very picky and late to the party with their PC ports, but they seem to be on the right track to making them count. 

I'm really curious to see how Forbidden West turns out. With the (hindered) growth of the PS5 install base since launch, I expect that we'll hear that it's the biggest first party launch on the platform to date. You know, before that same thing is said like another three or four times over the next year or two :laughing:

Amazing for a new IP.

The first game was truly special and has aged really well. Must have on PS4/5/PC

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

I'd say don't bother, most of these types of games end up around £25 or less within a year.

I rarely buy at launch now and only in specific circumstances. I've pre-ordered Elden Ring because the closed network test was fantastic and it's under £40. If there's a Nintendo game I really want then I'll also probably buy at launch, knowing it will probably never reduce in price much.

Yeah, this is very true.  Unless it's a Nintendo game, games aren't worth buying on day 1 anymore.  Not only are you objectively getting a worse game than you would be getting a few months later (after the inevitable myriad of day 1 and post-release emergency patches), you're paying a privilage to do so.  Pretty much every non-Nintendo published game gets reduced to about half price within less than 4-6 months these days, sometimes even just mere weeks afterwards; so you don't even need to wait very long!

Even worse in this case, where the game retails for £70 on PS5 at launch!

I'd just play the original game for now and wait a few months for the inevitable price collapse.

Edited by Dcubed

Early reviews are in, and they're looking very positive! 

It also looks like the game mechanic that was leaked before is being shown in reviews and marketing now. Very odd decision to leave sharing it so late, cool as it might be, so if you're trying to go in avoiding knowledge of what it is, it might be worth dodging the reviews. 

Edited by Julius

Gotta be honest, I was expecting slightly better reviews. Still, great scores! The openworld sounds like a bit of a step up from other Sony games, if not quite the revolution they badly need.

On 11/02/2022 at 5:38 PM, Dcubed said:

Yeah, this is very true.  Unless it's a Nintendo game, games aren't worth buying on day 1 anymore.  Not only are you objectively getting a worse game than you would be getting a few months later (after the inevitable myriad of day 1 and post-release emergency patches), you're paying a privilage to do so.  Pretty much every non-Nintendo published game gets reduced to about half price within less than 4-6 months these days, sometimes even just mere weeks afterwards; so you don't even need to wait very long!

I'd just play the original game for now and wait a few months for the inevitable price collapse.

The only caveat I'll say to this is if you're someone who sells games afterwards on places like eBay. Owing to fluctuations in prices that you get with non-Nintendo games, I've been able to pick up games for cheaper than they should have been off eBay, complete them, then sell them for more than I bought them. This was particularly helpful for Ghost of Tsushima, where I made about £12. I was happy about that given how disappointing a game it was!

Anyway though this game sounds really fantastic from some of the reviews I've read, and I loved the original. I won't be picking it up anytime soon (especially with Elden Ring round the corner) but it's good to hear that it's great.

Yeah I'll be buying this at launch, probably platinum it, then selling it on eBay, I'll likely never go back to it so it's not great loss (well, apart from losing £15 or so quid after re-sale)

Digital Foundry review of the tech side of things is always worth the watch:

On 11/02/2022 at 5:38 PM, Dcubed said:

It's hard to disagree with you. I do find that with Nintendo games, even if I pick them up at launch, the value of the game staying roughly the same doesn't really allow for much space when it comes to buyer's remorse – so long as I still have that desire to play the game. Similar thing with older games I guess, if I can find them at a decent price and know that I still want to play them at some point down the line, I don't mind picking them up and popping them on the shelf. 

I have a few games on my shelf right now on PlayStation that I haven't got to and really should've waited for. Do I want to play them? Sure. Was the plan to play them Day 1? Maybe originally, sure, but there is definitely a difference for me when it comes to how I treat a game when it's a priority rather than not, and that's how my shelves have started looking a bit full. 

I'm trying to take this year as it comes and be a bit more flexible in my approach to dedicating time to games, which is proving especially helpful with how packed this quarter is. I know Elden Ring is coming out a week after Horizon, so it's a choice of which open world I want to experience first above all else, because I know that I don't have the time or energy to go through two open worlds consecutively, much less fly through one just for the sake of getting to another. Similarly I'm questioning if I should pick up Stranger of Paradise next month, because Elden Ring could easily be my fill of that style of game for a while, not to mention that there are plenty of other Final Fantasy games I could play. 

It's more to do with what you like, I guess. Play what and how you want to play, prioritise it how you want to, etc. There's a quality to first party PlayStation games where if I'm all in on it, then I'm going to be there Day 1, regardless of it being £70 at launch. But if there's a reasonable doubt in my mind over it - again, with Horizon, I really enjoyed the first game when it came to fighting machines and the story of the past, but so much else in that game just fell flat - then I think I need to get better at questioning if I want to be there Day 1, or if I'm getting caught up in the hype of the collective rather than my own. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting that they recommend Resolution mode (30FPS) over Performance (60FPS), the latter seems to be a big drop in quality, the blurriness is pretty off-putting.

30fps it is I guess!

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Gotta be honest, I was expecting slightly better reviews. Still, great scores! The openworld sounds like a bit of a step up from other Sony games, if not quite the revolution they badly need.

This is probably good as it will get for a hybrid game like this.

Interesting reviewers are calling it an open world game. I've platinumed it and always thought of it as an Action RPG first.

Should point a ton of reviews are freely spoiling really major locations and story points.

Edited by Choze

Play and Plant

Pretty great :) Sadly only for US people.

Edit: I have no idea what's going on with the YouTube link above ::shrug: 
Edit²: Nevermind.

Edited by drahkon

I'm so hyped :bouncy: 
My plan is to pick up the game late in the afternoon tomorrow so I can study during the day, but in reality I'm probably going to the store way sooner :p Need to buy some (junk) food, a couple of drinks and spend the whole night playing H:FW.

Gonna watch a story recap video of the first game tonight so I'm fully prepared.

Haven't read any reviews, haven't watched any videos aside from a few trailers. I know surprisingly little about the game. I do know that I'm very much looking forward to the board game ingame. :laughing: 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

Bought a 4K TV for this, as you do. I'm kind of going into this game like you would a summer blockbuster, in it for the fun action and visuals.

• Like 1

An extremely rare red weather warning tomorrow is going to prevent me from picking up my pre order. :cry:

I guess I'll just try finishing off the Pokédex in Pokémon Legends in the meantime. If I play that game enough, Horizon will look even more amazing when I eventually start it. 

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, Mandalore said:

An extremely rare red weather warning tomorrow is going to prevent me from picking up my pre order. :cry:

Where are you from? We have a storm warning in Germany and it seems quite a tempest is on the way to reach us this afternoon.
I might cut work and studying short (as if I wasn't going to do the latter anyways :p) and pick up the game earlier than planned.

Already got the coffee ready for tonight.

I'm so excited :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Where are you from?

Wales.

Change of plans. Used my remaining GAME credit to buy a £25 PSN top up card and then pre ordered the digital PS4 version last night. Upgraded to PS5 for free and started downloading this morning. :grin:

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 1

Is anyone getting the PS4 version? I want to know if it's worth it or not.

Sign in to follow this