NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Horizon: Forbidden West (18th February 2022)

Horizon: Forbidden West continues Aloy’s story as she moves west to a far-future America to brave a majestic, but dangerous frontier where she’ll face awe-inspiring machines and mysterious new threats.

Edited by Julius

This was my personal highlight of the PS5 reveal!

Horizon Zero Dawn is one of my most favorite games of the recent years and most likely my top PS4 game.

I loved the setting, the mystery and the world building in Horizon Zero Dawn, besides the great gameplay. It had me completely drawn in. Horizon 2 on the other hand will of course start without the whole „why is the world like this“ mystery, so I hope Guerilla Games will be able to work upon this and create new mysteries. Judging from the trailer alone, I‘d say it could work. :D 

Yeah, this is a definite buy. I really enjoyed Horizon, although I still need to play The Frozen Wilds DLC. It was one of those games where I felt that the story got much better as it went on, as it took a few hours for me to get to grips with it. Beautiful game. I'm confident that they can tell as great a story as they did in the first game, which had a lovely ending. It's just a case of how much they add in that fits around that. E.g. the amount of sidequests. I hope they don't put too much in so that it becomes too repetitive.

I'm making a jump away from consoles this gen but this is possibly the one game that could tempt me back. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed for a PC release 6 years from now. Loved the 1st one, Aloy is best girl. 

Some more insight into the game with director Mathijs de Jonje:

Very casually revealed that they're aiming to release the game next year in 2021.

Also said that there are virtually no loading screens, even when fast travelling or restarting a checkpoint. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Nice artwork.

Be funny if it goes up against BOTW again cause I can see that releasing in 2021 as well.

Edited by Ronnie

So we can expect a Holiday 2021 release date initially then a delay to March 2022. That's what I'm expecting, and I said as much prior to the PS5 event. I'd be very surprised that even with all the time they've had to put into the game that it will launch next year as it looks and sounds as though they're expanding everything.

My hope is that they make the open world feel a bit more dynamic and not have it feel like what has become the norm for open world games this gen (the Ubisoft style). I'm not wanting them to go full blown BOTW as that would be horrible for this but something that gives a greater openness, more reward for exploration and just generally less check marks on a list of objectives that need to be hit. I loved the feel of the original's world but if they're making it such a large swathe of area, make it feel more organic in how you come across things.

It's the game I'm most looking forward to with the PS5, looks fantastic. Just need to keep reminding myself that it's a ways off yet so have to keep that hype in check.

• Like 1

Discover the Forbidden West in our next State of Play

This Thursday, May 27 join us on a very special journey into new and uncharted lands.

Starting at 9AM Pacific Time / 5PM BST / 6PM CEST, please tune in at your leisure for a uniquely crafted countdown towards the main State of Play event, which starts at 2PM Pacific Time / 10PM BST / 11PM CEST.

During this State of Play, we will debut the Horizon Forbidden West gameplay reveal! In this 20-minute exclusive segment, you’ll be seeing about 14 minutes of brand new in-game action featuring our heroic protagonist Aloy, all captured directly on PlayStation 5. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really looking forward to seeing the game in action. The original is a gorgeous game but can't wait to see what Guerrilla have managed to get out of the PS5 for this.

I'm still dubious that it'll launch this year (I see it as getting pushed into next year and launching on/around the 5th anniversary of the original) but I do wonder if they'll give a vague launch window (i.e. Holiday 2021 like they did with Miles Morales last year prior to the PS5 launch).

32 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Really looking forward to seeing the game in action. The original is a gorgeous game but can't wait to see what Guerrilla have managed to get out of the PS5 for this.

Yeah the original game still looks phenomenal! Wonder if we'll see a PS5 upgrade announced for that sometime soon - maybe here? 

32 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I'm still dubious that it'll launch this year (I see it as getting pushed into next year and launching on/around the 5th anniversary of the original) but I do wonder if they'll give a vague launch window (i.e. Holiday 2021 like they did with Miles Morales last year prior to the PS5 launch).

I can see why you'd hesitate on thinking it'll come this year, but I'm an optimist, so I'll continue hoping that it makes it out this year until we have a reason to believe otherwise. 

The vague launch window for Miles Morales I think was mostly down mainly to the potential for COVID to delay the launch of the PS5 (and the game itself), but I think even now it's better for them to give a window rather than a particular date even if it does come out this year. There's no need to put that extra pressure on their team should a delay come around. 

Edited by Julius

33 minutes ago, Julius said:

Yeah the original game still looks phenomenal! Wonder if we'll see a PS5 upgrade announced for that sometime soon - maybe here? 

I think there's a good chance, yeah. It seems there's a bit of an internal push at the moment to get PS4 exclusives a 60 FPS update. Clever way to drum up interest in the series and sequel, that's for sure.

33 minutes ago, Julius said:

I can see why you'd hesitate on thinking it'll come this year, but I'm an optimist, so I'll continue hoping that it makes it out this year until we have a reason to believe otherwise. 

The vague launch window for Miles Morales I think was mostly down mainly to the potential for COVID to delay the launch of the PS5 (and the game itself), but I think even now it's better for them to give a window rather than a particular date even if it does come out this year. There's no need to put that extra pressure on their team should a delay come around. 

Didn't they already delay it once? That, and it being a PS4/PS5 cross platform game make me think it's likely it'll make this year too. You'd think they'd rather release it before Christmas too in terms of sales potential.

2 hours ago, Julius said:

This and Dragon Quest news on the same day is going to make this a very pleasant Thursday! 

PrE3 season kicking off with a bang :D

Yup. We gonna be eating well this week. :D 

Like Ganepark, I’m still dubious whether it will hit this year. Games have been getting pushed left and right so it wouldn’t surprise me if this does get delayed until 2022.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

Didn't they already delay it once? That, and it being a PS4/PS5 cross platform game make me think it's likely it'll make this year too. You'd think they'd rather release it before Christmas too in terms of sales potential.

If I'm remembering correctly we didn't get a date for it at their events and only got an update from the game's director afterwards saying that they were hopeful of releasing the game in 2021, but it wasn't anything concrete. 

It does make me wonder though: if not Forbidden West, what else does PlayStation have up their sleeves as their potential holiday game? Do they even need one, considering just how hardly hit their production numbers of the PS5 itself has been? Then again, like you say, it is cross-platform, so I guess PS4 numbers could make up for it. 

35 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Like Ganepark, I’m still dubious whether it will hit this year. Games have been getting pushed left and right so it wouldn’t surprise me if this does get delayed until 2022.

I know this isn't the case for Forbidden West, as it's planned to be cross-platform, but I've been wondering lately if PlayStation and third parties could be questioning delaying PS5 exclusive titles - regardless of internal progress on a game - just because of how production, and leading off from that sales, of the console have been hit. 

PlayStation's projections for their first six months were originally very ballsy, and it still broke records despite them having to lower their projections by around 50%, but I don't think they were at all misplaced considering the immediate uptake we see when consoles are made available. You would have to imagine that these projections were shared with third parties for timing the release of their games, so if it continues to be the case that they permeate the market much slower than they had anticipated (albeit much faster than the competition), I wonder if they'd consider internally delaying those PS5 exclusives based on that, at the very least to pivot towards more cross-platform releases? 

• Like 1

Wow, not even a release window. I understand playing it safe due to potential delays, etc., but still, that's pretty wild. Looks good, though going to need to watch it again outside of the stream to get a full grasp and appreciation of the visuals. Underwater looked particularly stunning. 

Also: a grappling hook, a glider, and wearing green? We see what you're doing Guerrilla :p quite like the designs of some of the new machines, and you at least know that they've done a good job with outfit design in the last game when the opening shot has Aloy helping that guy get up and from just seeing his armour I suddenly remember Erend is a person. 

I understand why they went with a mission that mostly followed stealth for the purpose of this gameplay video, but considering how it's an open world game, I do wish we got to see more of that side of things. Reminded me a whole lot of TLOU2's E3 2018 demo at times, and I feel it did one or two things we'd expect to see in Naughty Dog games ("oh hey there's the bridge") that I can't remember them doing too much of in the first game. 

Feel like there were some weird cuts in there, but I'm putting that down to being a demo and wanting to get other perspectives that we might not necessarily see in the game, as well as getting through it at a decent clip.

Overall I'm left a touch more excited, but I'm not foaming at the mouth for this game based on this. I kind of just want to see some more, especially of the open world. 

Edited by Julius

What is with her hair? It has a life of it's own and moves far too much! Also, completely clips through all the gear on her back - one of biggest bugbears with video game graphics :/

Weird that they didn't mention this during the State of Play, but development is apparently on track and there'll be an update very soon...

Wonder if that means that - at the moment - it's still on track for a 2021 release? Because that's how it reads when you consider that they said that was the aim. 

But yeah, weird they didn't mention it in the State of Play. They did the same with the mention of a 2021 release last year too, saving it for a post-show video. I want to say that it's so no-one makes a massive deal out of it and less people pick up on it, hopefully meaning less pressure on the team, but in this day and age that's just not possible. 

Weird that they didn't mention this during the State of Play, but development is apparently on track and there'll be an update very soon...

Wonder if that means that - at the moment - it's still on track for a 2021 release? Because that's how it reads when you consider that they said that was the aim. 

But yeah, weird they didn't mention it in the State of Play. They did the same with the mention of a 2021 release last year too, saving it for a post-show video. I want to say that it's so no-one makes a massive deal out of it and less people pick up on it, hopefully meaning less pressure on the team, but in this day and age that's just not possible. 

Looks great! Really impressed with that. It started slow, but the second half was very impressive.

Visuals are stunning and the combat looks even more fun than the last game. The hookshot pull-cast and deku leaf, paraglider shield wing should make traversal a lot more fun too. I thought for sure they would introduce a 'climb anything' mechanic, but judging from those glowing ledges, I guess not :blank:

I'm looking forward to seeing what the openworld gameplay is like. I think Sony's big openworld games are starting to feel really stale at this point, the same core concepts recycled over and over, so hopefully they can bring something new to the table.

I never even considered this might be delayed, so to not even have a release window is a little worrying. Surely they won't go this whole year with just Ratchet as a big AAA game!

Edited by Ronnie

I should probably give the original another go. I imagine I’ll enjoy it a lot more once I get into the flow of the game. Watching that trailer I remember how excited I was for the first one.

Sign in to follow this