NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (12th November 2020)

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

One complaint I’ve had is the audio volume on the voicemails that you get, it’s just too low and I keep missing moments. Specifically:

Voicemail spoilers (Hide contents)

The ones from Miles’ dad and uncle while you are doing their side quests. Nearly every time it was getting drowned out by the city around you.

Yep, glad you mentioned those because I noticed those too, thought I might have accidentally changed something in my audio settings, but apparently not! Also had it happen a couple of times with the podcasts too.

And in my second playthrough, found a couple of occasions where I might have beaten the enemies too quickly? Because their dialogue would continue into and throughout the following cutscene, which was kind of funny :laughing: very distracting in the final fight especially! 

Speaking of odd audio, question for you:

Spoiler

When you were fighting all the Roxxon and Underground people in the street at the end, trying to clear it out for Miles’ mum and Ganke, did you hear Miles say “I hope Spider-man is ok up there”? Because I ended up hearing that line twice because I died and had to restart the fight and I just couldn’t figure out the context.

23 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Speaking of odd audio, question for you:

Final sections of story (Hide contents)

When you were fighting all the Roxxon and Underground people in the street at the end, trying to clear it out for Miles’ mum and Ganke, did you hear Miles say “I hope Spider-man is ok up there”? Because I ended up hearing that line twice because I died and had to restart the fight and I just couldn’t figure out the context.

Spoiler

Can't say I did, to be honest! Though it might have been drowned out by the other sound effects and enemy dialogue, so I might have missed it. 

Finished this just now. 
It was ok. 
Felt like DLC really more than a fully fleshed out game. Starting to get a bit tired of cookie cut sections in games. That’s TLOU2 now and this where I feel like I’m basically playing the same game all over again. 

It was still fairly enjoyable, the game looks great and runs really well but there was just too much combat. It was my biggest complaint with the first game and it’s the same again here. Have little desire to go back and tidy up the map when I imagine virtually every side mission will be more of the same. 

Finished my first play through this morning and have to say I absolutely loved the game. I didn’t play the original (though will soon) so maybe that made it a bit easier for me to take in as it’s own thing. The game looks and plays fantastically and I really enjoyed the story and characters. The side quests were lots of fun and the collectibles I thought were done in a way that made me actually want to go and collect them. Would have moved on but I enjoyed it so much I think I’m going to do the second play through and try to clean up collecting everything before I do.

Just finished this, really loved it overall, probably more so than the original. Great characters, combat, visuals, sound, missions were fun and the collectibles were expertly done. As with the first game they handed them out bit by bit which made you want to 100% everything. 

Sure a lot of the openworld encounters were pretty cookie cutter, as with a lot of these big AAA games, but I didn't mind it so much, didn't feel as noticeable as the original game.

Also the end credits were stunning, one of the best I've seen from a visuals pov.

I wasn't particularly excited by any of the PS5 launch games, so this turned out to be a pleasant surprise!

• Like 1

I got the platinum last night, my 2nd on PS5 so already close to my total of 3 on PS4.

Really think this was a great game and definitely a quality launch title. Does make me wish I’d played the original when it first came out but will get back to that at some point. Definitely a thumbs up from me and recommend it to all.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Also the end credits were stunning, one of the best I've seen from a visuals pov.

Totally agree! I think in general all of the cinematic in this were done amazingly. It’s a really nicely crafted piece of entertainment.

• Like 1

Insomniac you gods. Performance Mode + Fidelity Mode doing a little fusion dance. 

Probably some in-between with 1080p and some sort of upscaling, but seems a fair trade-off for your rays to be traced and your frames to be coming at you 60 at a time :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Seems to work fine. Got to admit though, I’m not really one who notices a whole lot of difference between 30 and 60fps which is why I was happy playing it at 30 anyway.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Julius said:

Insomniac you gods. Performance Mode + Fidelity Mode doing a little fusion dance. 

Probably some in-between with 1080p and some sort of upscaling, but seems a fair trade-off for your rays to be traced and your frames to be coming at you 60 at a time :p

Perfect timing when all the early adopters have already platinum'ed it. :indeed:  

22 hours ago, Julius said:

They really are masters of their craft.

Watched some footage and it's astounding. To see something like this this early in the new (now current) generation...the future is looking good :D 

Gotta appreciate them putting in the time to make this happen after release, they really didn't need to. Hopefully it'll show other devs that it can be done.

• Like 1

It's crazy how good this game looks when you consider that it's a cross gen game.

So I got this for my birthday, but haven't had the time to fire it up yet. Finally got an hour or two to myself at the weekend and started it. 

Hnnnnnnnnnnng!!!!!

The first one is probably in my top 5 games of all time, and this one is just...

giphy.gif

It feels so good to be just swinging around New York again. I love that this one is set at Christmas time, gives the whole city a new feel, even though it's the same place. I can't wait to play more!

• Like 2

Finished the main story last night. Thought it was pretty good, even if the final cut scene ended a bit weirdly...

EwUM1CZXMAMqGEB?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:08 PM, Happenstance said:

Seems to work fine. Got to admit though, I’m not really one who notices a whole lot of difference between 30 and 60fps which is why I was happy playing it at 30 anyway.

I thought I was the same basically til PS5 came along. Now that multiple games let you quickly switch between, it feels like night and day. The most obvious are Control and this game. When you turn off 60fps and reload something you just did (because Spidey reloads the last auto-save), it's such a surprise, to me at least. Suddenly rotating the camera is a blurry mess and everything feels like it's struggling to keep up. This one I absolutely had to play in 60fps.

That said, a lot of the magic had waned from my first playthrough. I kinda regret buying the Ultimate Edition. I thought I would really want to re-immerse myself in that awesome feeling of this game, but it didn't actually come back. In the end I didn't even use the code for the first game :blank:

• Like 1

I've been picking away at the requirements for getting the platinum, and I'm wondering if i'll bother. Some of the trophies seem a bit grindey compared to the first (like i'm having to go through and do all the wall and ceiling takedowns, as I didn't even realise you could do this during my playthrough). Getting the 100 hits seems to be a challenge too. One time I got to 97 and ran out of bad guys!

Also I seem to have run into the glitch where the trophy doesn't pop up when you get 50 remote mine takedowns. I think you can get around it by manually placing a mine and taking out three guys at once, but i haven't tried it yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob said:

Getting the 100 hits seems to be a challenge too. One time I got to 97 and ran out of bad guys!

I think there's a suit or power you can equip that has a 30% chance (or whatever) to multiply your combo meter. I used that on one of the construction hideouts and got to 100 pretty easily.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think there's a suit or power you can equip that has a 30% chance (or whatever) to multiply your combo meter. I used that on one of the construction hideouts and got to 100 pretty easily.

Sounds like I got quite lucky with this one, think it was my second trophy unlocked? I did it as part of the game's opening sequence (when you get a couple of waves thrown at you). Probably helped that I had just come off playing the first game on Ultimate difficulty for my NG+ playthrough though!

Can certainly empathise with you @bobwhen it comes to the takedowns, it definitely changed the way I played the game quite a bit when trying to get those trophies. It's awkward because it's a high enough amount where you're unlikely to unlock those naturally while playing through the game (especially with how little emphasis I would say there is on highlighting these takedowns), but low enough where it seems achievable if you are going after the Platinum. 

Far from the most egregious trophies out there (games that demand replays at a higher difficulty which only unlocks after completing the game, and some of those old Naughty Dog ones where you'd have to get X amount of kills with a certain weapon comes to mind when I think of the worst), but it does make me wonder how much QA goes into trophies (if any at all), because some of them here do feel like they weren't given as much consideration and we're tacked on at the end. I think any time where the player has to go out of their way to play in a different way - which isn't necessarily the same in my eyes as trying out different weapons or combat styles, if that's already a focus of your game - is when they should be given a bit more consideration. 

Because, for example with those takedowns, you just end up in a hideout going up and down in an attempt to do as many as you can. 

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

Sounds like I got quite lucky with this one, think it was my second trophy unlocked? I did it as part of the game's opening sequence (when you get a couple of waves thrown at you). Probably helped that I had just come off playing the first game on Ultimate difficulty for my NG+ playthrough though!

Can certainly empathise with you @bobwhen it comes to the takedowns, it definitely changed the way I played the game quite a bit when trying to get those trophies. It's awkward because it's a high enough amount where you're unlikely to unlock those naturally while playing through the game (especially with how little emphasis I would say there is on highlighting these takedowns), but low enough where it seems achievable if you are going after the Platinum. 

Far from the most egregious trophies out there (games that demand replays at a higher difficulty which only unlocks after completing the game, and some of those old Naughty Dog ones where you'd have to get X amount of kills with a certain weapon comes to mind when I think of the worst), but it does make me wonder how much QA goes into trophies (if any at all), because some of them here do feel like they weren't given as much consideration and we're tacked on at the end. I think any time where the player has to go out of their way to play in a different way - which isn't necessarily the same in my eyes as trying out different weapons or combat styles, if that's already a focus of your game - is when they should be given a bit more consideration. 

Because, for example with those takedowns, you just end up in a hideout going up and down in an attempt to do as many as you can. 

Yeah, I don't think they're ridiculous, because it's only 25 of each that you have to do. And the remote mine one I got to pretty quickly (50) because you can do multiple enemies at once. 

I hate any platinum that requires you to play through the game a second time, even on easy difficulty. Just a massive time waste that adds nothing.

8 hours ago, bob said:

I've been picking away at the requirements for getting the platinum, and I'm wondering if i'll bother. Some of the trophies seem a bit grindey compared to the first

Except for having to replay the entire game (ugh), I didn't think anything in this game was a as bad as having to stop ~200 random crimes in the first game.

As for getting a x100 combo, apparently the combo counter doesn't reset if you get hit when you play on easy, so that sounds like an easy way to get it. You could also just save an enemy with a melee weapon for last and punch-dodge-punch-dodge until you get it.

Yeah replaying the game a second time is ridiculous, just grindy trophy nonsense. Though I still did it for some reason ::shrug:

30 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah replaying the game a second time is ridiculous, just grindy trophy nonsense. Though I still did it for some reason ::shrug:

Lizard brains in search of dopamine. 

(Name of my new album :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think i'm done with trying to get the platinum for this. I think i'm at 75 enemies taken down with the remote mine now, and still no trophy popped up. Seems little point in grinding all the other ones if that one isn't coming, and to be honest, i'm kind of glad for the excuse not to!

3 hours ago, bob said:

I think i'm done with trying to get the platinum for this. I think i'm at 75 enemies taken down with the remote mine now, and still no trophy popped up. Seems little point in grinding all the other ones if that one isn't coming, and to be honest, i'm kind of glad for the excuse not to!

This was how I felt when I played Persona 5 Strikers recently. There's one trophy that requires ~15 hours of grinding, and because I wasn't willing to do that, it meant I might as well not bother with the other annoying-but-not-15-hours-of-grinding-annoying trophies, since I wasn't getting the platinum anyway. It was weirdly freeing.

Maybe I should just play games on non-PlayStation platforms from now on.

Anyway, I liked Spider-Man: Miles Morales despite a couple of annoying trophies. It was a good effort by famed Xbox developer Insomniac Games. :smile:

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this