NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (12th November 2020)

Was just looking at my download list on the PS Store and it looks like because I preordered Miles on PS5 I now also have the PS4 version.

• Like 1

Really struggling to justify spending 50 quid on this, given the reviews are good but nothing special. I liked the original game on PS4 but I thought the openworld stuff was pretty cookie cutter and dated, and I'm not a Marvel fan to care much about the story.

The game I am looking forward to is Sack Boy, but the 60 quid price tag on that stings a bit.

I've no interest in Spider-Man either, but then I generally have no interest in superheroes, and find their prominence in entertainment to be a bit of a scourge.

My copy of Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS4 version) arrived yesterday. I'm really excited to play it on the PS5 free upgraded version when my console (hopefully arrives) on launch day next week. What little I've seen said about this AC game has been very positive (a few sites even saying it's the best AC game yet).

8 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I generally have no interest in superheroes, and find their prominence in entertainment to be a bit of a scourge.

+1 

Edited by Ronnie

Looking forward to this but will not pick this up until about a month after it's been released and even then I'll get it on PS4, not ready to shell out for a PS5 just yet!

Just watched it. 

The Photo Mode in this game looks gorgeous, but it commits the sin of doing something I'm going to find it very hard to go back to after Ghost of Tsushima: having to pause the game to then open Photo Mode

Just having to hit right on the D-Pad to instantly pause the game and jump into Photo Mode should be standard, in my opinion, for Sony's first party offerings (in instances where it isn't used in the game). It's much faster, which means you're more likely to capture the moment. It's the main reason I captured so many photos in Ghost of Tsushima (hundreds, even!): because it was just so easily accessible. 

I replayed Spider-Man recently and I don't remember any particular use for right on the D-Pad in that game, so it's a shame if it's not being used again here that it's not being utilised like how Tsushima managed it. I would take a lot more photos if this was more generally utilised, or if we could assign certain buttons to be used for Photo Mode if not, but otherwise, I'll probably top out at 50, at a push, in Miles Morales, when I would probably want to take way more. 

Edited by Julius

That's crazy. I remember in the first game, people would look for good sources of light in the game world to take great photos, but now you can insert your own! That's pretty cool.

24 minutes ago, Cube said:

There are already some amazing photos

7 hours ago, drahkon said:

bekphnqftcb41.jpg?auto=webp&s=26c9684c73

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

The worst thing is, I'm pretty sure I saw that tweet through here originally.

• Haha 1

Bought this in the end, not happy about the price tag but will sell it once I’m done for £25 or something if anyone wants it in a week or two. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the £49.99 version of Miles Morales is the ps5 upgraded version on the store? I think it is, as it’s in the section under ‘ps5 games’ but just wanted to double check. 

44 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Does anyone know if the £49.99 version of Miles Morales is the ps5 upgraded version on the store? I think it is, as it’s in the section under ‘ps5 games’ but just wanted to double check. 

Yep, that's the one :smile: 

• Like 1

Just finished Miles. Great game. I think I probably prefer Spider-man but that’s just having more of a connection with those characters. This was a much tighter story. Can’t wait to see where they go next.

• Like 1

Finished my first playthrough of the story earlier today, what a blast this game was! Just finished wrapping up that first playthrough to 100% completion, seeing as Insomniac really knows how to hook me into those. 

EnX8TYlXMAA-Vvs?format=jpg&name=large

Doesn't do too much to deviate from what we got last time in Spider-Man, but it doesn't really matter; the combat, swinging across the city, soundtrack, the next-gen stuff like lighting, the ray tracing, and loading times, oh and how the city itself looks, how fun and snappy Venom attacks are, it's all just great. Awesome cinematic set pieces and a great montage sequence. It also takes some of the weaker aspects of Spider-Man and refines them further (or reduces their role; not much stealthing around to be found here), and the game is all the better for it.

The story, character progression, and cast, are all surprisingly strong too, and it has me hoping we see a lot of these faces pop back up in Spider-Man 2 in a few years' time. Heck, at the start the game felt slightly off, because there are so many moves from Spider-Man I couldn't use here, as Miles was yet to learn them (thankfully he did over the course of the story). The animations for his swinging go such a long way to fleshing him out as a character, too, and seeing him spin around when jumping off a roof is always fun to see, as is him crashing into the floor if you're too late when trying to swing out of some tricks. I also think the variety and selection of suit designs here are much, much better than what we got in Spider-Man two years ago. 

Haptic feedback wasn't as noticeable as I imagine it is in Astro's Playroom, but it still added a lot to the table, but the adaptive triggers stole the show for me here, with how it adjusts to the tension of your webs.  

First playthrough was in Fidelity Mode, and as I hinted at above, this game is pretty stunning visually. Got me playing around with the Photo Mode a lot, which rarely happens, and uh...my storage space is more than 3 GB worse off for it :p

Some of my favourites:

EnXo7ndXYAMoIQU?format=jpg&name=large

EnXo76nXYAADrxT?format=jpg&name=large

EnXo8RnXIAM5OXQ?format=jpg&name=large

EnXo8rOXcAkphVJ?format=jpg&name=large

EnXpZExXIAUF9kD?format=jpg&name=large

EnXpZZhXIAQz_Qt?format=jpg&name=large

EnXpaB-WMAMkYoL?format=jpg&name=large

EnXpZvxXYAcYjhy?format=jpg&name=large

Visually stunning, a whole lot of fun to play, and for me, in a way, surprisingly emotionally resonant by the end, Miles Morales was a great time. An awesome way to kick off this gen. 

Now to try out Performance Mode in New Game+! :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Julius said:

I also think the variety and selection of suit designs here are much, much better than what we got in Spider-Man two years ago. 

Now that I 100% disagree with. Nearly all (or possibly all) of Peter’s suit designs were actual suits used in the comics or movies and I was excited to see them in the game but because Miles hasn’t been around all that long he doesn’t really have any variety to pick from so it was just a load of random designs that I have no interest in using.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Now that I 100% disagree with. Nearly all (or possibly all) of Peter’s suit designs were actual suits used in the comics or movies and I was excited to see them in the game but because Miles hasn’t been around all that long he doesn’t really have any variety to pick from so it was just a load of random designs that I have no interest in using.

Yeah that's fair, probably just down to my personal preference ::shrug:  for me, the overwhelming majority of the suits unlocked in the first game just didn't look right, or were simply a recolouring of the main suit worn in the game. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that a lot of them are from the comics, but I don't think the majority translated that well, at least in how they were presented in that game. 

While I think it got much stronger post-launch, I still think if I were to go through that game's catalogue of suits and this game's, I'd gladly play in a higher percentage of suits from Miles than I would from Spider-Man. Then again, I am quite picky with the suits that I would wear while playing anyways :p

New Game+ complete, which means first PS5 Platinum get!

EnbdRpQXYAMuZ2p?format=jpg&name=large

EnbeFNrXcAEtnx3?format=jpg&name=large

Incidentally, it's my 10th! Agreed with @drahkon that these cards aren't great for screenshots :laughing: looks much cleaner in the trophy menu but it lacks any details! So have both :p

Had a blast, Performance Mode was a lot of fun, and smooth as heck. So much fun smoothly zipping through these fights with a lot more ease this time around. Had a lot of fun just randomly turning on Photo Mode in my second playthrough too, as it changes over to Fidelity Mode, so I could see where the visual differences were with things like ray tracing and lighting. 

One heck of a game, Insomniac's Spider-Man offerings are quickly becoming some of my favourite.

Now time for lunch, and then to check out Astro's Playroom! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

One complaint I’ve had is the audio volume on the voicemails that you get, it’s just too low and I keep missing moments. Specifically:

Spoiler

The ones from Miles’ dad and uncle while you are doing their side quests. Nearly every time it was getting drowned out by the city around you.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this