NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Tales of Eternia Vs Breath of Fire 3

With both these games coming out this Friday on the PSP im torn with which to get. I havent played either of them and was wondering which is the better of the 2. At the moment its Tales as I loved ToS on the Cube but I hear the Breath of Fire is a traditional RPG which I love so you can see the jam im in.

Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

Get both - I absolutely love both of these games, and am very excited to get portable versions :) Tales uses pretty much the same battle system as Symphonia, which naturally is a great thing, and looks absolutely lovely with its pretty sprites and immensely detailed backgrounds. The story isnt hugely different from Symphonia though (at least, in the parts I played...I havent yet finished my PSone version). The two games are pretty alike in terms of content and style, as you might expect.

Breath of Fire III is the best in the series IMO; cutesy sprites, characters that are actually quite interesting compared to BOF I & II, and an absolutely huge game time; I think it took me around 70 hours to complete the PSone version, although I did do a lot of wandering around to find the dragon glyphs. Its a turn based RPG unlike Eternia. The dialogue is also a little more stilted in places, but there are some funny, very random sections to it which break up the traditional mould.

Since I love both of these so much, Im probably not going to be much help in deciding which to buy if you only get one; they both really do have fantastic elements to them. I think that Eternia will be the slightly more engrossing at the start, since the dialogue and characters are perhaps slightly better translated (they use more colloquial phrases anyway) and the story moves more smoothly - more people may turn away from BOFIII based on the first few minutes play, but both are very immersive. I seriously wouldnt be able to make a decision now if I could only get one or the other. I would have to sell a kidney.

Sorry.

________

TL1000R

Edited by Johelian

I'm playing Tales of Eternia on the PSone atm and it's utterly brilliant, anyone with a PSP needs to pick up that one. It has the Tales trademark likable characters, lovely graphics and some really addictive minigames.

Breath of Fire 3 was incredible also, wish I had a PSP now...

At a stretch I would probably buy Eternia first. It's even better than Symphonia imo and it's also got some great voice-acting (bar the battles where they sound bored)

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I guess Tales is the way to go unless anyone else can tell me otherwise......

I'm playing Tales of Eternia on the PSone atm and it's utterly brilliant, anyone with a PSP needs to pick up that one. It has the Tales trademark likable characters, lovely graphics and some really addictive minigames.

Breath of Fire 3 was incredible also, wish I had a PSP now...

At a stretch I would probably buy Eternia first. It's even better than Symphonia imo and it's also got some great voice-acting (bar the battles where they sound bored)

I think tales of Eternia is better than breath of fire 3, but I find the voice acting horrible, I had to turn it off right from the beggining, and the story is pretty much average, the 2D graphics are awesome, but I prefer those in original Phantasia, as for it beating Symphonia... mine is coming (it'll be sent tomorow from UK) so I don't own the game yet, but from what i've played... I found it a whole lot better than eternia... my opinion is subject to change though.

I'd prefer to play both on a original playstation for the extra resolution. But I can only bare to play eternia with the voice acting switched off.

Im the same with the voice-acting; I had to turn it off at the start.
Do you know if the PSP version voice acting got re-recorded? if they kept the original Japanese one, or even took it off? if they re-recorded it, or kept the original language... I'd say it's probably a better version than the original US version ever was.

Also... darn them for always cutting the opening songs... those are top notch. I wish they put a option to enable it, or like: "if you beat the game you'll have a diferent opening, singed..."

As for the original question for this thread, I love traditional RPG's (I really love them) but tales series always makes the battles fun to be played, I actually come back to Phantasia just to level up a little, it was never a series about story and plot (even if it's nice sometimes), I actually bought a PSone mostly for the NTSC/JP remake of Tales of Phantasia, and the NTSC/US Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia, and that's to say a lot as I'm in a Nintendo Forum (I actually also bought a gamecube mostly for tales in 2003, willing to import the japanese one, although i'll only have one copy of the game now).

so, although Breath of Fire 3 might be a better game in terms of plot... for portable gaming you won't need a game like that, i'd go for the lighthearted experience Tales offers.

I have no idea Pedro; I was personally wondering whether the voice acting would be in there at all. The opening song is awesome though. I remember the first time I played the game, hearing that and seeing your characters cheerful little face...they always have the intro playing in GAME, but it doesnt have any volume, alas.

I would disagree with the comment on BOFIII though - Im sure a lot of people on these forums bought and enjoyed Golden Sun, which IMO dragged its boring plot on for way too long; therefore, longer RPGs have a welcome home on handhelds. Someone willing to sit with a handheld game that long should appreciate the slightly more interesting story that BOF offers. IMO of course ;)

________

Vaporizer Shop

Edited by Johelian

I have no idea Pedro; I was personally wondering whether the voice acting would be in there at all. The opening song is awesome though. I remember the first time I played the game, hearing that and seeing your characters cheerful little face...they always have the intro playing in GAME, but it doesnt have any volume, alas.

I would disagree with the comment on BOFIII though - Im sure a lot of people on these forums bought and enjoyed Golden Sun, which IMO dragged its boring plot on for way too long; therefore, longer RPGs have a welcome home on handhelds. Someone willing to sit with a handheld game that long should appreciate the slightly more interesting story that BOF offers. IMO of course ;)

I also find golden sun to be lighthearted, there's no big vilain to start with, I think Golden Sun was mostly fun, about the story... the only really important parts are the beggining and the end of each game, the rest... the light beacons are like you have a battle and then "sorry, the princess is in another castle" kind of thing.

For a portable console it has to be plug, play and have fun kind of thing, story isn't as important as it is in a home console, in my opinion, of course.

You mean a Symphonia-esque PSP game is coming out? Jesus, it looks like I'm buying this.
not symphonia-esque, more like tales-esque, Symphonia is a stand alone title in control scheme, this one plays just like the new Tales of Legendia on PS2, which means 2D sidescrolling control battle (yes I know legendia has 3D graphics)... pretty good if you ask me, it's classic tales on the move.

Not symphonia-esque, more like tales-esque, Symphonia is a stand alone title in control scheme, this one plays just like the new Tales of Legendia on PS2, which means 2D sidescrolling control battle (yes I know legendia has 3D graphics)... pretty good if you ask me, it's classic tales on the move.

WALLET CRIES YES!

*Play's Eternia*

...If Fara (SP?) says "Yeah, no problem" one more time I'm gonna lose it..!

Good to know you can turn the voice-acting off now, heh!

I can see them, they look bloody gorgeous! I'll import from VGP at the end of the month, it being region free and all.

ooo cant wait!

EDIT: it appears it isnt on VGP :woops:

where have you lot ordered it from? or are you all getting the PAL version?

Its weird but both games in this topic DONT have a release date for America. So I think everyone will be getting the PAL version. Makes a change having the Yanks import from us for a change.

Go get it from Game or Gamestation on Friday ;) Or Play and Gameplay have it a bit cheaper, if you dont mind waiting a couple of days.

________

YAMAHA DT125

Edited by Johelian

Speaking of Tales, my Tales of Legendia just got posted from VGP+ the other day. Woo another RPG to the list.

I need to buy these but I just don't have the money for them at the moment. I'm taking Grandia III and Shadow Hearts: From the New World over these two.

Speaking of Tales, my Tales of Legendia just got posted from VGP+ the other day. Woo another RPG to the list.

Same as mine :D I had forgotten that it was out so soon to be honest.

________

Ios Games

Edited by Johelian