N-Europe

New Reggie interview

Shaithan

http://boards.ign.com/revolution_lobby/b8270/109256039/p1/?11

EGM: When Nintendo first showed the controller, it said there were other functions it wasn't talking about yet. Might those include a digital camera and microphone?

RF: As much as I think [Nintendo President Mr. Satoru] Iwata likes me, if I shared that with you I probably wouldn't be here. [Laughs] You know, here are the facts: Come [this May], we'll disclose a lot more. After [that], we'll disclose even more, and right about the time of the launch, we'll disclose even more. There are certainly elements to everything we're doing about Revolution I'm talking beyond the controller, the virtual console, all the different element we'll be sharing all the way up to launch. And I believe as consumers understand the full range of benefits and the full functionality, the more and more they're going to get excited. I really do.

EGM: Given [Mario creator] Shigeru Miyamoto's outspoken admiration for Sony's EyeToy camera and the microphone function in the DS and recent GameCube games [like Odama and Mario Party 7], they seem like a natural fit for the Revolution controller.

RF: could certainly see all of that. Again, our orientation is, how do we push the gaming experience, the interplay between the player and the game? So all of the different elements that enhance that capability's use of a camera, use of the microphone, voice activation all of that certainly I believe is fair game.

EGM: How about online with the Revolutio's how will it work? Will it be more like Xbox Live? Or more similar to how the DS is now, where you get a friend code that's different for every game and you exchange that like a phone number to find each other online?

RF: I would think [it'll be similar to the DS]. Again, that's been part of our [plan] in creating an environment that is more friend and peer-to-peer based, versus simply, I wanna go take on everybody for certain types of games.

EGM: You mentioned the virtual console where users can download old games to play on the Revolution. We know you're experimenting with revamping some games graphically what about retrofitting them to use the Revolution controller?

RF: [Long silence] Honestly, I don't know. If I look at this personally, given my own gaming experience, I would love to play my favorite game, whether it's Kid Icarus or it's Zelda: A Link to the Past. I'd like to play the original game in its original configuration. I don't know how I would feel as a fan to take that original game and to augment it in some way. I don't know what the technical challenges to do it are either. We'll find out.

EGM: Any chance we'll see a virtual console style online distribution of older Nintendo games for the Nintendo DS now that it's online?

RF: We certainly never say never. The piece that we are learning as we work through our plans for a virtual console on Revolution is really working to understand the flow of content, how to manage that. That's a fairly large interface to do it effectively. So my concern would be, how do you embed that on a DS [cart] in addition to the game to really make it effective? But we've said from the start that Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is meant to be the service both for the DS as well as the Revolution. So could you see a merging of that technology at some point in the future? Certainly possible.

Nothing Interesting. Why do they even bother interviewing anyone from Nintendo at this moment. Nobody is spilling the beans and no one is going to tell them anything before official announcements.

Useless

thats what you get if you take everything at face value. Even just reading it you can tell there are things that reggie doesnt actually know about and things that he does and can't talk about but gives clear hints too.

You also have to remember that for the most part the answers he gives will have been thought as opposed to just thrown off the top of his dome

Its funny sometimes peole read too deeply into what nintendo and their reps are saying and other times people just dont think deep enough about it

It's actually pretty interesting, considering that they can't reveal anything. It's really disapointing that the service will be like the DS one. A overly simple service is fitted to a handheld, not to a console like Revolution. I was expecting this, but still...

Europe has no DS download spots, In Japan they do.

What would I like to see? The revolution system connected to Nintendo wifi able to download DS demos.

And for free too.. None of this Nintendo stars bullshit.

If I get this I'll be happy with Nintendo wifi.. and of course Nintendo revolution should not lag when pwning someone in smash bros. and it should have a comprehensive play system with a good friends list.

EGM: You mentioned the virtual console where users can download old games to play on the Revolution. We know you're experimenting with revamping some games graphically what about retrofitting them to use the Revolution controller?

RF: [Long silence]

I wonder if he was thinking about killing the interviewer during his long silence

This makes 239 times Nintendo has referenced Kid Icarus, i better get a sequel! :grin:

I'd much prefer if the service didn't need to use Friend Codes. Well, maybe, it should be one person adds the friend code or ID to their Buddy List, and you get a message asking if you'd like this person to be on your list and such. Just like MSN. =P

It needs to have:

See who's Online,

No Unique Friend Codes per game, a friend code per account is better!

The system should have lobby support, in-game and just online.

You should be able to choose who you request a game from, not random picks like they did on MK DS.

Downloads should just be free, not buy a game, and get a free download ><

What I would like though is using Wi-Fi on the DS through Revolution.

Enough of that though.

Nothing new really, we'll reveal this and that, but not now, wait a few months. Sounds good, but it's hard to maintain hype when you're not saying anything new, people will lose interest if they don't let out a few spurts in the few months from now to E3.

Wifi on the DS through the revolution?

If your revolution is online chances are high that you have wireless already, so your DS will work no doubt (using the same proprietary flavour of 802.11) they aren't including ethernet to lower costs and space.

The usb to ethernet port might never materialise.

I wonder if he was thinking about killing the interviewer during his long silence

This makes 239 times Nintendo has referenced Kid Icarus, i better get a sequel! :grin:

It wasnt exactly aimed at Kid Icarus this time, but they have referred to it alot. I'd bet on a sequel, so your in luck in my opinion.

We've already got the biggest hint the mario games will use this, in the controller trailer, you hear the mario jump when the girl flicks the controller up. So im guessin you can use the controller for the super marios.

I think it would be best to just reveal everything at E3 now, i love the idea that Revolution holds loads of surprises and we have to wait to find out what they are but it's not as though we haven't waited along time to get more info already, i hate to say it, but it's just starting to grate now.

I mean some consumers want to know exactly what it does now, so they can decide which console to buy and save up for. Not everyone can afford all 3 next-gen consoles so i reckon they'll go with the one they know most about and like the sound/look of, has Nintendo revealed enough to get sony/microsoft and newcomers on their side? I'm not sure!

It's like we hardly know anything about the Revolution still, and i don't know wherever thats a good or bad thing. I think Nintendo should go in with a 'guns blazing approach' at E3, reveal EVERYTHING, show loads of revo games off and steal the entire show! It can easily be done! It's not as though people can steal Nintendo's idea now and get away with it, people will just say 'well Nintendo produced that first'.

My worry as well is that we ain't going to see this till literally the end of 2006. Definately November/December 2006 now. Kinda knew that already, but i was hoping for a little earlier release.

Of course this is my opinion and i reckon everyone on here will disagree. :)

So the Revo won't launch pretty close after E³ if I'm not reading too much into it.

Ahhh so long to wait.

Yep we definately won't see this till November/December 2006 or even Q1 2007 (Which is unlikely, but could happen).

Sony's stance: We will release information when Nintendo offload some stuff in order to steal their thunder in the media.

Nintendo's stance: We too will release information when Nintendo offload some stuff in order to steal their thunder in the media.

Their PR departments are just groups of children running around offices shooting each other with water pistols really.

They will tease each other until E3, but ultimately the mother load (if you will) will be dropped at E3 and not before.