NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

SEGA Game Gear Micro

ggm.0.jpg

Sega is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year with another retro console, and it looks like it might be the tiniest yet. The Game Gear Micro is a revival of Sega’s 8-bit handheld system that tried (and failed) to overcome Nintendo’s Game Boy.

More news is set to drop later today via Japanese gaming news outlet Famitsu. The promo shots show that the system will unsurprisingly run at least one of the (pretty good!) Game Gear Sonic the Hedgehog titles.

An image initially hidden in the Game Gear Micro landing page also revealed that the system will come in four colors — black, blue, yellow, and red — and be released in Japan on October 6th this year for 4,980 yen, or about $46.

• Haha 1

It's a really cool idea but the implementation seems really crappy. It looks way too small to actually be able to play in any enjoyable way and having only four of the games on each colour of console means you need to spend more for extra hassle. Guess it's built for Japanese collectors. 

I'll probably end up buying the package with all of them included like the idiot SEGA fanboy I am.

Looks a bit too small, unless it's around the size of the Gameboy Micro then it it should be OK.

I reckon if it comes to the west it'll have all the games on it.

Oh, wow it even has a screen magnifier attachment! :laughing:

Literally a console for ants :laughing:

It actually makes the GB Micro look big; I didn’t think that was even possible!

• Haha 1

They're way too small, they're going to be too difficult to use!

I'll take all four, please. :grin:

I wonder if the games will be different for the Western release.  I don't think we ever got a Last Bible game over here, though America did.

Edited by V. Amoleo
  • Haha 1

Wait, how are six AA batteries supposed to fit in there?

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Size comparison:

Ko9FHxp.jpg

Probably not completely accurate, but either way, this thing is pretty much microscopic! :laughing:

I love it. :love:

• Thanks 3

I love it and I must have it.

Just have to decide between the black one (looks better) and yellow (better games).

Wonder how easy it will be to put more games on like the other mini consoles.

Just now, Goafer said:

I love it and I must have it.

Just have to decide between the black one (looks better) and yellow (better games).

Wonder how easy it will be to put more games on like the other mini consoles.

I’m betting it will be super easy, barely an inconvenience 

• Like 2

It doesn't help he's looking at the wrong side of that thing.

• Haha 2

I've never been a huge fan of the regular Sega Game Gear console, in fact, I have no desire to play the original console at all.

Now a mini version? Smaller than a GBA Micro? With four games on the system for £40?

Nope... it's a nice concept, I love the ridiculous fact that it has a screen magnifier accessory, which... would still be too small to see comfortably; I just couldn't justify buying this.

I do like it though on a nostalgic level and it's a cool celebration item for Sega's 60th Anniversary but I'm kind of hoping that they will have more to announce soon.

On the subject of actual Game Gear games though, I do own a select few cartridges and one boxed game, recently I bought two of the Sonic games cheap so I could play them.

Not on an actual Sega Game Gear but on the Mega SG via the new cartridge adapter, I'm hoping to try out a few of these games soon, namely the main Sonic titles and a few others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Like so many Sega spin-offs, what appears to be such a neat concept is completely messed up in execution.

Potentially too small, too expensive, choice of games could’ve been better, and while I’ve read other sites praising the improvement in battery life compared to the original it’s still pretty poor.

All of these criticisms aside, the idea is so ridiculous and niche that I’m interested in knowing more!  I used to own a Master System & I still enjoy the first Sonic game.  I don’t know how well Gunstar Heroes translated to the smaller screen.  Beyond these I don’t have much excitement for the rest of the line-up.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this