NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
djamb3

New patent - Voice-to-text chat conversion for remote video game play

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=3&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=nintendo.AS.&OS=AN/

with some pics:

http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/3931/us20060025214ki0022pm.png

Well I hope this appear in REV because it's basically something that will recognize what you say and type it. The games with team-work will change a lot now you can directly talk with bots (I wish). What do you say about this?

I've been researching this patent for the whole day. Its an interesting idea that maybe able to tackle some of the problems of the Xbox live headset. Swear words may also be cencored but there is always a way around that.

This is still has much potential, because personally I think it would be easier for text to be shown than to listen to some idoits.

BLARGH!!

I have been sayin this for years. (not for fact. but what nintedo should do)

Next step is to make Advanced AI that can understand your "text" and even learn and mimic words.

I had a game idea that used this technolgy. I Probaby posted it on the Cube-europe Revo boards.

This sort of thing has been used in various PC applications, but voice recognition technology en masse still seems to struggle with such vagaries as non-American accents. Who knows, maybe they've cracked it. Maybe I'll finally soon be able to buy a Merc with a voice command system that will switch on Radio 2 and show me the way to Ipswich when I tell it, and not serve me firery gin & tomato pancakes before demanding I make a left turn onto a space shuttle landing strip instead.

Wow. Well it's been odvious that Nintendo has really been working on vioce/chat related features for a long time and even more with Nintendogs, I am personally ecited and hopes that this is devefinatley with the Revolution. Maybe this is one of the Revoutionary features to be anounced before E3. I can't wait hopefully I can get some info on this soon. I have always thought that having a headsets with great vioce/chat features it would improve and expand so many different genres.

How about an emagin headset with VR, (faked) surround sound and voice chat? That would make the Revolution market leader.

If they could translate stuff (voice to computer understandable data) on the fly that'd certainly be cool stuff. This may be the other revolutionary aspect.

They patented 'floor vision' and only used it at the Games event.

This is a nice technology for Nintendo to have in it's repetoire.. much like the DS handwriting technology featured in brain trainer 2.

If it is used or not it remains to be seen.. I think it's a clever idea, but it's not ground breaking. I think the idea of talking to a game is still weird.. I don't like using nanocarp in public because you have to talk to them and clap and junk.

Could be a laugh for some party games.. but not a full immersive game experience.

I could imagine that you could actually speak with people in the game if this works out REALLY well. But that's just my imagination really :heh:

I could imagine that you could actually speak with people in the game if this works out REALLY well. But that's just my imagination really :heh:

That it exactley what i could mean. Now that woulde be cool.

I hope there will be a sort of mic and headset a bit like XBox live so you can talk to other people and talk ,but I think it will be voice to text cause Nintendo would want safety and having a mic might no tbe so safe

This would be really good for MMO RPGs.... Nintendo have been keeping their eye on that genre (claps hands together and praaaays for WoW on Rev. It would = awesomeness)

Nope, Iwata said no mics... well, very unlikely to be in the final build i think is closer.

A mic on the "revmote" anyone?

Turn the Rev into a karaoke machine, Japanese will go crazy over this haha

It would be best if you had the option to use voice to text, or voice to voice conversations through the headset. Also if you had the parental control options to disable voice to voice conversations this would prevent any of those xbox live problems Nintendo doesnt want.

Think about it:

*voice/text + voice/voice = superior headset feature to xbox live

*Parental control gives you the option to disable the voice/voice feature on the console when using wifi connection.

The best of both worlds, hope Nintendo has thought about this.

ds voice and hand writing rec software is getting better all the time free hand controller and voice activation together would be amasing im betting its a headset for both online chat in and out of a game and allso voice rec for talking instructions like granade rifle pistal or instructions to a co chricter

Ah yes!

Just had the best idea! You have a game which has these voice recognition programs built in. But you don't know what terminology it is going to be sensitive to or when. We all know how much people shout at their TVs while playing games. This could result in some quite involuntary reactions from the game making things happen. It would be great! You could spend hours finding out loads of little secrets, hidden words. Also you could get bonuses for doing good impressions of some classic Ninty characters. You get a freebie if you can do a decent "yahoo" or "Babee Wuigi, hehe".

Grrrr damn you Nintendo! Not going to sleep tonight now! Too many ideas from this...

I think some people have been watching too many sci-fi movies if they think voice recognition is going to work perfectly. If Nintendo do use something like this in games, and I'd be surprised if they did at the moment, it'd just end up being an annoyance when it misunderstood you, which I imagine it would a lot.

Besides, I don't like the idea of having to talk to your games. It was already embarassing enough with Nintendogs..

Somebody has self confidence problems me thinks...

Yeah ok it might misunderstand what you say a bit, but think of it more as a surprise game inhancement like the holucinations in Eternal Darkness. For instance:

You're playing a classic LucasArts style point and click adventure (pls come to rev, pleeease) and your character has been captured by the villain. You are looking around for things to use and you see a lamp in the corner of the room and you automatically say "Aha! I could use the LAMP!" As soon as you say the key word, the baddy foils your plan, cos you've given the game away! Haha... It could be used to benefit your character too.

Somebody has self confidence problems me thinks...

You're playing a classic LucasArts style point and click adventure (pls come to rev, pleeease) and your character has been captured by the villain. You are looking around for things to use and you see a lamp in the corner of the room and you automatically say "Aha! I could use the LAMP!" As soon as you say the key word, the baddy foils your plan, cos you've given the game away! Haha... It could be used to benefit your character too.

Firstly, how many people would SAY, 'Aha! I could use the LAMP!' rather than just think it, and secondly, I still think there'd be a huge problem with the game actually recognising what you say. I really don't think that voice control is going to work the way you think in games for a very long time.

I've tested voice-to-text in UT 2004 and, at least in that game, it's far from perfect. And you have to say the words really clearly. I have no doubt that in the future we'll have almost perfect voice-to-text.

Sign in to follow this