NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

SpaceX commercial launch

I'm not an expert, and I only casually follow some news, but NASA and SpaceX are launching  the first commercial manned shuttle to ISS tonight. Seems to be quite a historic event in the making. I think it's 21:33 UK. Watch live:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I keep hearing it'll be visible 15-20 minutes after it's launched, so I guess somewhere between 21:48 and 21:53.  Really extraordinary when you think about it.

It seems it's cancelled due to weather conditions.. New attempt on Saturday.

If Google is correct, the next attempt is scheduled for 20:22 UK.

Weather seems OK at the moment so hopefully, that holds out. Think I'll stay up and watch this thing happen.

Not sure if I'm going to watch it live, as I'll also be watching a film, but hope all goes well. 

This is so unbelievably cool. :)

Happy to see that everything went well so far.

Edited by drahkon

I did catch it live in the end. It's a shame they lossed signal when that first rocket part landed, it's one of the things that makes this shuttle so unique, and it didn't always go well in previous tests.

If I'm converting things right, they'll dock with ISS at around 15:30 UK.

A quite thrilling achievement.  Reading up, the ability for private companies such as SpaceX to fund flights such as this provide more opportunity for NASA to fund other projects too.

Hopefully the docking will go well too, and so relieved that everything else up to now has gone well.

The crew is returning to Earth after 2 months. Undocking commences in a few minutes and is viewable live:

Edit:

If I'm correct, landing is scheduled for tomorrow evening, 20:48.

Edited by Sméagol

And thus ends the most hardcore case of social distancing of the year.

On a more serious note, the thought of commercial space flights is amazing to me. It's going to be crazy to see how this develops over the next few decades.

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this