NEurope
Charlie

Loads more PS3 Details!

while GCN had... i think Pikmin is the only new franchise worth a mention!

Animal Crossing

Eternal Darkness

Baten Kaitos

Killer7

Donkey Konga

Batallion Wars

Metroid Prime

Super Monkey Ball

Viewtiful Joe

are all new franchises on GC worth mentioning. And i'm sure theres more I forgot.

Animal Crossing

Eternal Darkness

Baten Kaitos

Killer7

Donkey Konga

Batallion Wars

Metroid Prime

Super Monkey Ball

Viewtiful Joe

are all new franchises on GC worth mentioning. And i'm sure theres more I forgot.

Franchise technically means a new series of games in which the game character/setting/title is used. Thus meaning: Eternal Darkness, Batallion Wars (probably) and Killer7 can't be included.

ED = No longer has a developer

Batallion Wars = based slightly on Advance Wars anyway

Killer7 = will never EVER get a sequal (although i really hope it does...)

EDIT: Also, the Prime thing on the end of all the recent Metroid games is just annoying me. People know what Metroid is, although Prime is a trillogy. This means only Metroid Prime, Prime 2: Echoes (which should have had the Japanese name Metroid: Dark Echoes) and Prime 3 need to have this.

Not every Metroid under the sun: Metroid Prime Hunters (which is set BEFORE the original Metroid!) and Prime Pinball.

now that PS3's hardware is even better than 360's...! People will just buy PS3 because of Tekken 6, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Kingom Hearts 3, Gran Turismo 5 and so on... While Halo 3 seems to be the only killer-app for 360. Plus, all the multiplatform games will look way better on PS3.

I highly doubt the Ps3 hardware will be more powerful than 360's, or at least if it is then it won't be noticable in the games, this is more or less confirmed by the fact that Kojima himself stated that "power is not an issue this generation". The games you mentioned will not benefit in any way from the graphical upgrade interms of making the game any more fun to play. You also forget that Killzone was more or less tripe on the Ps2 and as the old saying goes "polishing a turd doesnt make it any less a turd" (something along those lines anyway, I'm tired).

This generation showed there were next to no differences graphically in multiplatform games ( a point, I believe, that enraged many an xbox owner) so your comment about them looking WAY better is just plain wrong. There is no doubt that the games you mentioned will probably sell well, but when games are getting into number 5, 6 and above for sequals you have to wonder what new gameplay will be added besides the graphical upgrade.

Frankly I'm so far unconvinced about the PS3, Sony are great at marketing products so of course it will sell well, but PS2 was a joke IMO compared to what it was supposed to offer. I guess we'll have to wait untill the console is out and we can play the games, personally I would say the "winner" of the console war was the console with the best games, not the highest sales, quantity never has and never should be regarded as a measure of quality.

Yamcha - a man after my own heart ;)

Good post Shodan, it is all about the games at the end of the day - but as we have already seen, there are those that would pick a Mario game over GTA any day of the week, and vice versa. The PS2 has probably been the console that I have enjoyed the most this generation though, so for me Sony have lived up to expectation quite spectacularly. Probably since I didnt follow the original specs listing, there was nothing for me to be disappointed about in terms of the hardware. Plus, with games that look as pretty as Shadow of Colossus and God of War just now coming out, it looks like the old girl has fight in her yet; its just a pity that we didnt get to see the xbox pushed so hard.

I think the only real disagreement I have is with regard to graphics; since i enjoy playing things like Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear, a more graphically intense version suits me down to the ground. I dont believe in changing the way a game plays just for the sake of difference - one of the reasons Im cautious about the Revo I suppose (and, to an extent, RPGs on the DS).

________

CALIFORNIA DISPENSARIES

Edited by Johelian

its just a pity that we didnt get to see the xbox pushed so hard.

hmm i thought farcry and ninja gaiden, practically pushed the xbox to its limits

Yamcha - a man after my own heart ;)

Good post Shodan, it is all about the games at the end of the day - but as we have already seen, there are those that would pick a Mario game over GTA any day of the week, and vice versa. The PS2 has probably been the console that I have enjoyed the most this generation though, so for me Sony have lived up to expectation quite spectacularly. Probably since I didnt follow the original specs listing, there was nothing for me to be disappointed about in terms of the hardware. Plus, with games that look as pretty as Shadow of Colossus and God of War just now coming out, it looks like the old girl has fight in her yet; its just a pity that we didnt get to see the xbox pushed so hard.

I think the only real disagreement I have is with regard to graphics; since i enjoy playing things like Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear, a more graphically intense version suits me down to the ground. I dont believe in changing the way a game plays just for the sake of difference - one of the reasons Im cautious about the Revo I suppose (and, to an extent, RPGs on the DS).

This forum does not deserve you :)

Its true Sony does manage to get the big guns on its system and im sure it will be the case for the PS3. Hell my favorite game this generation is Dragon Quest, and i want to get my hands on Motorstorm. My complaint is the price of both the hardware and the software. If Sony decides to release a PS3 Lite that does naught but play games for half-price, id be tempted. Since Blu-Ray is a central component though i dont think thats possible.

@Stocka

Animal Crossing- i forgot about that one :)

Eternal Darkness- a sequal is not likely to come

Baten Kaitos- oh right this one's new too...

Killer7- this is on ps2 too, so it's a multiplatform game

Donkey Konga- just another sequal to Donkey Kong, although gameplay is defferent it's still a sequal.

Batallion Wars- a sequal is not likely to come

Metroid Prime - another sequal to Metroid, so what if it's in 1st person?

Super Monkey Ball- it's on ps2 too, so it's a multiplatform game

Viewtiful Joe- on ps2 also, yet another multiplatform game...

Not that i have anything against Nintendo, i do own GameCube and 9 games after all :D (and DS, and owned past Nintendo consoles: SNES, N64, GBA, GBP, GBC... and will probably get Revolution also :D)

@Shodan

From what i heared, the multiplatform games (example, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory) look MUCH batter on X-Box than ps2 or GameCube. Again, it's from what i HEARD.

Killzone 2 will be an awesome game, i'm sure about that although Killzone wasn't that good, it was over hyped. Also, ps3's hardware will be more powerfull than 360's, so the multiplatform games are gonna look better (as i said multiplatform games looked better on X-Box which had better hardware).

@Shodan

From what i heared, the multiplatform games (example, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory) look MUCH batter on X-Box than ps2 or GameCube. Again, it's from what i HEARD.

Killzone 2 will be an awesome game, i'm sure about that although Killzone wasn't that good, it was over hyped. Also, ps3's hardware will be more powerfull than 360's, so the multiplatform games are gonna look better (as i said multiplatform games looked better on X-Box which had better hardware).

Yeah thats true, Chaos Theory did look a lot better on the xbox than the GC and ps2, I assume that was because it was made for the xbox then dumbed down for the other consoles (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just going by the release dates from memory).

However I still won't concede that the PS3 games will look substantially better, I think that this time it's far too close to call in terms of graphical ability, whereas last gen the xbox was clearly much more powerful than the other two machines (as in having features built into the GPU that GC and PS2 did not have - bump mapping etc.) the PS3 does not have any features on the GPU that the 360 is unable to use. I can see developers simply creating an engine that will run on both machines easily enough with a minimum of optimization, rather than creating a seperate engine for each console which would be needed in order to notice any major graphical difference.

This generation should be much more about creativity and art design than previous generations, and I think this is where we will see the difference in graphics. I totally expect to see no difference in 3rd party releases on PS3 and X360, and for first party games we can hopefully look forward to equally detailed environments on each console that are distinguished by the artistic style of the developer.

My thoughts exactly.. the average PS3 owner will most likely be only interested in playing a new GTA on there console.

sorry but i despise the GTA series i think its a load of shit

Well I will play GTA on my Playstation 3, but it certainly won't be the only game. Nippon Ichi software will be fully supporting the PS3, so that means Dom must get one and play their games.

I want to play new games and sequels alike. PS3 will supply me with popular franchise sequels like Devil May Cry 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, plus insane amount of RPGs, which I just love to play.

There should be no console haters nowadays, they are just all full of sexual goodness that shouldn't be missed.

Why does everyone think that Killzone 2 is going to be great? Any evidence apart from graphics really?

@Johelian - If it wasn't for people wanting to change the way we play games you wouldn't be playing those games now. It's all about breaking down barriers, not just on new ways of play but in general creative game design. The change in the hardware just supliments the variety. You don't like choice or are you happy playing the same type of games the whole time?

sorry but i despise the GTA series i think its a load of shit

OMG ME TOO! its amazingly overrated. i didnt mind GTA3, but it jsut went downhill from there......

Why does everyone think that Killzone 2 is going to be great? Any evidence apart from graphics really?

Thats a very good point, infact as of now we have more evidence to believe that Killzone 2 will be a bad game rather than a good one. It's not like were are judging the game on a video; many, many people, myself included have played the original killzone and have been massively dissapointed. Of course there is no reason to believe that Guerrilla Games will be unable to rectify the faults of the first game. However as it stands they have made two games, that by all accounts are average at best. The onus is on them to prove that they can make a decent game, its not like the situation with Halo 2. Killzone 2 is not being built upon a solid foundation of an original game.

Edit: - I quite enjoy a quick mess around on GTA, but San Andreas was too big for its own good IMO

@Johelian - If it wasn't for people wanting to change the way we play games you wouldn't be playing those games now. It's all about breaking down barriers, not just on new ways of play but in general creative game design. The change in the hardware just supliments the variety. You don't like choice or are you happy playing the same type of games the whole time?

Oh no, choice is good; its when a great franchise throws in a completely arbitrary change that really doesnt need to be there that I start to get irritated. I look with particular distain at Tomb Raider; AOD, which had about a million pointless extras put in to try and distance it from the other games. Thats the kind of pushing that has no point to it. Its like a football game that asks you to work out each of your players in a button-bashing minigame before they can compete. In this scenario, making a graphically-more impressive version of the game before would actually be more beneficial than ruining solid gameplay for the sake of something new.

I think youre under the mistaken impression that Im against change; far from it. I think that new ways of looking at things are definitely the way forward. I do think however that some people are so obsessed with change that they implement it for its own sake rather than any practical use. Would you tell me that theres no series of games that are intrisically the same that you enjoy playing? I know I have sat through every Harvest Moon game going, and still get a buzz out of harvesting my sweet potatoes every fall.

hmm i thought farcry and ninja gaiden, practically pushed the xbox to its limits

While they were nice looking games, I would still be interested to see what they could come up with in a years time on there if the focus was entirely on exploiting that hardware. With the console only being what - four or so years old? - I would be surprised (and a little disappointed) if they had discovered the limitations of its hardware already.

________

Grow medical marijuana

Edited by Johelian

Nippon Ichi software will be fully supporting the PS3, so that means Dom must get one and play their games.

They are? Darn, I was hoping I didn't have to get a PS3... Can you link me to some proof please?

Rumor: PS3 To Have Different Systems Too?

An EBgames employee has leaked that EB and GameStop are going to take pre-orders of the PS3 soon. But to everyone's surprise, there will like be 2 packaging for you to select: $ 599 USD or $ 299 USD (O_O).

He also said the $ 299 version might not have the Blu-ray Video playback function, but the $ 599 version will. But still, both versions are capable of playing Blu-ray games. Now imagine a PS3 that can't play Blu-ray videos... the only word I can find is "Lame".

Source: PS3updates

I don't realy belive those EBgame folks.

Well thats £340 (present conversion rates), I wouldn't be surprised. How much was the PS2 when it first came out?

Okay found it was $300 but still. People will pay $600+

Well for me I believe that Killzone 2 has the chance to be great. The first game was a good shooter but was bog down with graphically problems, like the popup of textures on the models and so on. The extra power of the PS3 and hopefully their learning of their mistake of using that method will produce a quality game. There were some fantastic shootout moments in Killzone. It has a great premise and interesting art and story. I'd like to learn more about it and hopefully a more polished sequel can supply that.

About the Nippon Ichi thing, they were making a PSP game but cancelled that and moved it to PS3.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/651/651365p1.html

Playing BluRay disks games and not the movies? Not gonna happen. The hardware is the expensive bit. Why not bother putting in the software to play the movies? Fishy...

If the other version can play blu-ray games but not movies, then it's bound to have some sort of mod from the community that allows the video playback as well.

Can i ask the GTA haters a question...

why do u hate gta so much,

and i want valid reasons and not "it was crap"

Can i ask the GTA haters a question...

why do u hate gta so much,

and i want valid reasons and not "it was crap"

hmmm, I'm not a GTA hater, it's more like, I don't like it enough, specially to pay for it, it gets tedious and boring fast (after a couple of days), all in all I don't think the game is fun.

Never tried San Andreas though, and I don't intend to do it, as I have so much titles I want to play at the moment.

It's just not my style of game, it could come my alley and left unoticed... I don't really understand why it was such a success, I guess it was the moment in time where it came out and the response to it, 10 years ago, and maybe 10 years from now, with a diferent trend going, it could be very well ignored, and I don't think it's a game that really stoods the pass of time.

GTA did a great thing this generation though, prooving to dumb people that a game with "crap" graphics can sell well, actually incredibly well.

I ended up not giving real reasons besides a opinion, I guess, but that's what I think...