NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Helmsly

Paper Mario: The Origami King

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

The game's ending and last dungeon, the length of the game and stuff has been leaked. *sigh*

It's times like this where I 100% understand Nintendo giving fewer media outlets review copies. Leaks are ruining the industry

Do we have confirmation it's the media that leaked that? Nintendo has a history of leaking Paper Mario games themselves after all! :p 

23 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Do we have confirmation it's the media that leaked that? Nintendo has a history of leaking Paper Mario games themselves after all! :p 

A rom of the game (ResetEra-link - spoilers inside) has been put online. I don't know if you need the game on the Switch for that to happen or if someone has got hold of the actual cart it's on or something like that. I would assume the latter.

19 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

A rom of the game (ResetEra-link - spoilers inside) has been put online. I don't know if you need the game on the Switch for that to happen or if someone has got hold of the actual cart it's on or something like that. I would assume the latter.

AFAIK (although it could be different for different regions) press have only gotten digital codes for years except for exceptional circumstances such as Brain Training (because of the stylus) so if it is a rom from an actual cart it seems unlikely it is them.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

AFAIK (although it could be different for different regions) press have only gotten digital codes for years except for exceptional circumstances such as Brain Training (because of the stylus) so if it is a rom from an actual cart it seems unlikely it is them.

With an illegal dumped copy of the game on the loose

From the ResetEra thread. I assume this means a rom or similar.

• Like 1

I'm on the fence about this game.

It looks like the game disincentives the player from engaging in combat, and that it's better to avoid combat altogether to avoid using up consumables.

I don't mind them not returning to the RPG mechanics of the first two titles but it's weird that they are sticking with the thing that fans hate the most. 

1 minute ago, Goron_3 said:

I'm on the fence about this game.

It looks like the game disincentives the player from engaging in combat, and that it's better to avoid combat altogether to avoid using up consumables.

I don't mind them not returning to the RPG mechanics of the first two titles but it's weird that they are sticking with the thing that fans hate the most. 

I kind of wish combat was more actiony like Super Paper Mario with regular enemies, and it only goes turn-based for more scripted encounters + obviously boss battles. 

Then again people often avoid combat in top down Zelda or 2D Mario at times, so maybe you could make the argument this isn't much different. But yeah, weird one and I'm sure it'll be the main criticism review wise.

Not expecting the brilliance of TTYD and I enjoyed Colour Splash so I’m still looking forward to this. Going in with realistic expectations so I won’t be disappointed I’m sure. The only thing I have reservations about is the wheel combat mechanic. Can imagine it being boring after the first 20 fights but as the difficulty ramps up, I imagine it could get a little frustrating.

Going back to TTYD, this is selling for £150+ on eBay. Wow.  

I'm really looking forward to it, looks and sounds like a fun big adventure game.

Well, my order for this from Currys has totally disappeared. I had a pending transaction on my online banking for a while which then disappeared. I’ve had no dispatch email from them, nor have they taken my money. I only ordered from them because I got it for £38 but I shan’t be doing it again. I’m not too fussed about getting the game on release date as I likely won’t play it for a few days. But wondering whether I’ll receive Schrodinger’s parcel is kinda annoying. No response from their customer service channels either. So now I’m left wondering, do I order this from elsewhere only to find they take the money out after I do, or do I just wait about??

Tl;dr - don’t order from Currys. 

Anyone playing this? I've put an hour or so in and it's really great so far, constant smile on my face while playing.

Only negative is that usual Nintendo thing of over-explaining everything (the battle mechanics especially) at first, but hopefully won't last.

I 'll probably get it eventually, but I'm only getting one game this month, and I'm inclined to go for Catherine.

Played about an hour, I didn't think the tutorials were all that long and went quick, unless there's more to come.

I think I got interrupted too often during the first hour. Explaining the battle system twice was a bit much but apart from that, it was fine. I look forward to the game opening up a bit more.

9 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I think I got interrupted too often during the first hour. Explaining the battle system twice was a bit much but apart from that, it was fine. I look forward to the game opening up a bit more.

Was that an intentional pun...?

• Haha 1

The presentation of this game is just phenomenal, visuals, animations, sound effects, the way the music fades in and out between areas. 

Game is gorgeous, wasn't really feeling it from trailers but playing it :eek::heart:

• Like 1

I’m about 7 or 8 hours into this game and it’s REALLY quite stunning. It’s my first ever Paper Mario, so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. I haven’t had this much fun with a game since Luigi’s Mansion 3. The level of polish really is top notch. I feel like I’ve missed out majorly with this series if The Origami King is anything to go by.

Weirdly though, it doesn’t look like it’s going to be a big seller. At least not at launch. Hopefully word of mouth will help boost it though. First impressions online for this game, now that it’s actually out, are overwhelmingly positive.

I’ve been through the first “dungeon” a million times trying to get 100% collectibles but am still only at 58% ? Blocks and 67% treasure chests , wtf

6 hours ago, Ashley said:

Was that an intentional pun...?

Opening up? I wish I had thought of that... So no. :p

I'm not hating the battle system yet. It do like the little puzzle but I'd prefer it if there wasn't any timer. Luckily, pressing X freezes time and keeps the battlefield in view so I use that sometimes.

Other than that, though, I find the game a bit trivial and more or less a copy - paste of Colour Splash. Hope it ramps up as I'm only three hours in. 

Turns out I was just a few steps away from tutorial city so I get what people are saying now.

I'm enjoying the battles more than I expected to. Still want to avoid them for the most part but they aren't as bad as I expected them to be. The boss battles are fine as well. 

Just entered the second temple after 6 hours. Its quite beautiful and such but I still find it a bit trivial and I don't care much for the toads, only finding the obvious ones. 

I'm surprised, though. Went through my friend list to see who is playing it and none of those online within the last 3 days had it on their list - that was 18 people who are usually up to beat.

Edited by MindFreak

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I'm enjoying the battles more than I expected to. Still want to avoid them for the most part but they aren't as bad as I expected them to be. The boss battles are fine as well. 

Just entered the second temple after 6 hours. Its quite beautiful and such but I still find it a bit trivial and I don't care much for the toads, only finding the obvious ones. 

I'm surprised, though. Went through my friend list to see who is play and none of those online within the last 3 days had it on their list. 

I don't have the cash at the mo...

I played this for an hour or two the other night, got as far as the bit where you end up in one place after the main opening story event happens, I've got past that and have just headed back to the place I was at previously, so I've learned the basics and now I suppose I must be in that tutorial area which others have already mentioned.

The visuals are nice, soundtrack seems decent, the humour is still there, the accompanying main helper character isn't bad, I've noted that you start off with 50HP so I guess that won't change now for the rest of the game, I'm not really sure what to say about the battle system and the lack of FP and BP, which I'm assuming you just don't get in this game.

It just turns the game into more of a story game, with light RPG elements and a focus on interacting with the enviornment around you; which is fine, there's still plenty to see and do but it makes it seem like a game where you're more there to complete a main quest, which possibly won't have much of a challenge to it, due to the only real 'barriers' to progress are likely to be the boss battles.

I like it though, the world feels more alive and vibrant but if I want that old style Paper Mario type game, I'll just go back to Bug Fables... in the meantime, this game is a new Paper Mario title, with an emphasis on exploration, interaction and a good bit of humour.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this