NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Helmsly

Paper Mario: The Origami King

@S.C.G, if Colour Splash and Sticker Star are anything to go by, you'll end up with 200 HP by the time you reach the end.

You'll likely get HP boosts from beating major bosses.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You'll likely get HP boosts from beating major bosses.

Actually the HP boosts are from random encounters in this game. Pays to explore thoroughly or else you miss them, which is much better and more interesting than predetermined buffs after a boss.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Actually the HP boosts are from random encounters in this game. Pays to explore thoroughly or else you miss them, which is much better and more interesting than predetermined buffs after a boss.

Really? Now that's interesting, seems they're listening a little to everyone saying that Colour Splash's encounters were pointless (Which is bull, because it's the only you can upgrade paint capacity, but whatever).

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Really? Now that's interesting, seems they're listening a little to everyone saying that Colour Splash's encounters were pointless (Which is bull, because it's the only you can upgrade paint capacity, but whatever).

Sorry to be clear by random encounters I mean if you happen to find a secret or hidden Toad, stuff like that

• Thanks 1

Blue streamer destroyed and a touching moment of parting. 

Enjoying the game a bit more after

Spoiler

coming to Shogun World. That place was quite fun. Got 81 points in the Shuriken game on Expert. So close but can't imagine the incredoble prize being good. 

But I'm also feeling that it may be a tad too long for its own sake. 

I'm pretty sure the water effect in the second streamer is the best water I've ever seen in a game :laughing:

OK, who the f*** thought the gimmick with the boos in this game was a good idea?? Nearly got me my first death yesterday, they did. 

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

OK, who the f*** thought the gimmick with the boos in this game was a good idea?? Nearly got me my first death yesterday, they did. 

Just run into them, clever idea! 

40 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Just run into them, clever idea! 

Just wait till you get to a fight with 3 groups....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is essentially a Zelda game, right? But with easier puzzles, a different presentation including an incredibly witty script. I'm all for that, but now I'm really feeling like I missed out by not playing previous games in the Paper Mario series.

There's a part in one of the later streams which is reminiscent of one iconic Zelda game in particular. You'll know when you get there :blush:

Edited by Tim B
  • Thanks 1

I'm absolutely loving this game, half way through the third streamer atm and it's just getting better and better. I was a bit worried after the first one the remaining would be very copy and paste, but they mix each one up a lot to keep things fresh.

The script isn't as funny as Colour Splash, that game had me chuckling every ten seconds, but it's still great and some really touching/emotional moments more than make up for it.

Whilst I loved sarcastic Huey from CS, Olivia is her own character and charming in a completely different way.

Battles have been great fun, I've not gotten sick of the mechanics at all, and actually there seems to be less of a focus on random encounters. This game is much more about exploration.

It's a real shame if people don't play this because it's not an RPG, it's a fantastic adventure game in its own right, so far at least :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good to hear it's not an RPG. Or it's a lite one aha. 

I've just started TLOU2 so once that's done I'll definitely dip into this as it does look great. 

• Like 1

I think it's a shame we can never go back to the first 2 games, I can't help but feel as though Nintendo want to limit such a creative spin off with no more unique characters and interesting lore like those 2 games (And SPM to an extent) had if the pre-launch interview with the director is anything to go by. However, that said, I think they are doing their best despite the limitations Nintendo have set them and despite my extreme dissatisfaction with Sticker Star (which is the first Mario game I ever traded in and subsequently made me not even touch Colour Splash), After watching some of a play-through of The Origami King I can see some shoots of life in it. I won't pay full price for it, but if I can get it during a sale I might just give the series another chance. They just have to give me more of an incentive to not skip battles whenever I can (which defeats the point of an RPG) and I could see myself enjoying the series again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

I think it's a shame we can never go back to the first 2 games, I can't help but feel as though Nintendo want to limit such a creative spin off with no more unique characters and interesting lore like those 2 games (And SPM to an extent) had if the pre-launch interview with the director is anything to go by. However, that said, I think they are doing their best despite the limitations Nintendo have set them and despite my extreme dissatisfaction with Sticker Star (which is the first Mario game I ever traded in and subsequently made me not even touch Colour Splash), After watching some of a play-through of The Origami King I can see some shoots of life in it. I won't pay full price for it, but if I can get it during a sale I might just give the series another chance. They just have to give me more of an incentive to not skip battles whenever I can (which defeats the point of an RPG) and I could see myself enjoying the series again.

That's your mistake, it's an adventure game with light RPG mechanics. It's been like that since Super Paper Mario.

EDIT: Thinking about it more. That interview has had it's meaning a bit skewed to make it seem worse than it is.

1200px-Arfur.png

In that picture above, the bandit on the left is fine, but making up a new species (The Doogan on the right) is a no-go anymore.
It's the same kind of thing that Disney does.

In other words, you can put a pre-existing mario species in a different outfit. Like the Toad Rescue Squad in Colour Splash.

340?cb=20161216234322

But changing the physical proportions of something is not OK anymore.

PM_Talking_to_Koopa_Koot_Screenshot.png

On the plus side, at least Illumination should be kept in check with the Mario movie. Hopefully...

340?cb=20141207210043&path-prefix=protag

This is what happens to Yoshi when creative freedom goes too far...

Edited by Glen-i

People really need to get it into their head that this and Colour Splash aren't RPGs. They're adventure games, and fantastic ones at that. If you go in without the mindset of what it isn't, you might love what it is.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, including turn based RPG battles doesn't help with the misconception, so long as those are in the games people aren't going to accept that they aren't RPG's and thus wish for the series roots to return. That said, people I know have given up on the Paper Mario series returning to it's roots and are not going to buy the games anymore. So hopefully you will have less of those types to deal with going forward.

I do wonder what might have been for the Paper Mario series had the Mario and Luigi games not existed, would it have stayed true to it's RPG roots or would this change of direction still have happened? We'll never know, but one thing is clear, if you don't like the direction the series has chosen, get off the bus.

So i got this at launch and i'm only at the first boss, technicly the second but that was more of a tutorial. I haven't had the strength to play this at all. Mostly because of Ghost of Tsushima but i'm slowly making my way through, and i mean really slowly. The whole "puzzle" mechanic during the battles is kind of annoying, line them up and destroy them in a single turn, didn't line them up? then you maybe take 5HP of dammage and you finnish them next turn. The game even shows you mercy and doubles your damage output when theres only a row or so of enemies left.

The better boots and hammer is also annoying. They need to be bought at the shop in toad town and they break, so you gotta go all the way back to toad town to buy more boots and hammers with the 1,000,000 coins you've got by that point. The humour and writing is pretty good though i guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, martinist said:

So i got this at launch and i'm only at the first boss, technicly the second but that was more of a tutorial. I haven't had the strength to play this at all. Mostly because of Ghost of Tsushima but i'm slowly making my way through, and i mean really slowly. The whole "puzzle" mechanic during the battles is kind of annoying, line them up and destroy them in a single turn, didn't line them up? then you maybe take 5HP of dammage and you finnish them next turn. The game even shows you mercy and doubles your damage output when theres only a row or so of enemies left.

The better boots and hammer is also annoying. They need to be bought at the shop in toad town and they break, so you gotta go all the way back to toad town to buy more boots and hammers with the 1,000,000 coins you've got by that point. The humour and writing is pretty good though i guess.

There are shops all over the place, I'm two thirds through the game and I think I've bought from Toad Town once. Also, trust me there's plenty more to buy with all those coins, I've just run out and I'm 100%-ing every area before moving on.

Oh and you'll take more than 5HP of damage if you don't solve the puzzle later on, trust me.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Oh and you'll take more than 5HP of damage if you don't solve the puzzle later on, trust me.

Yeah, 50 HP damage is really harsh for messing up on the third boss.

These puzzles are also starting to get more complex. I'm finding myself not getting an ideal lineup more and more often.

Anyway making my way to the second streamer.

Spoiler

Man, Nintendo games are just obsessed with the Japanese setting these days. First we have BotW's Kakariko Village, Bowser's Castle in Mario Odyssey, Dragon Driftway in Mario Kart and now Shogun Studios in Paper Mario.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Reveal hidden contents

Man, Nintendo games are just obsessed with the Japanese setting these days. First we have BotW's Kakariko Village, Bowser's Castle in Mario Odyssey, Dragon Driftway in Mario Kart and now Shogun Studios in Paper Mario.

Spoiler

Japan is nothing if not a nationalistic country I guess. 

I realised earlier that I'm curious about this game but know myself well enough to know I wouldn't finish it. Wish I still lived with my former housemate so he could buy it and I'd drop in and out of and watch. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ashley said:
  Response to the above (Reveal hidden contents)

Japan is nothing if not a nationalistic country I guess. 

I realised earlier that I'm curious about this game but know myself well enough to know I wouldn't finish it. Wish I still lived with my former housemate so he could buy it and I'd drop in and out of and watch. 

This, my lovely friend, is what Twitch is for. 

This is on my wishlist to buy once payday arrives! Its been a while since I've picked up my switch. 

50 minutes ago, nightwolf said:

This, my lovely friend, is what Twitch is for. 

This is on my wishlist to buy once payday arrives! Its been a while since I've picked up my switch. 

Oh no I want to watch someone I like. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Each streamer gets better and better!

On 24/07/2020 at 8:43 PM, Tim B said:

This is essentially a Zelda game, right?

Yeah I'd agree with this. If you're a fan of old school Zelda games, this will be a treat. The fourth chapter reminds me of my favourite Zelda game :heart: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Each streamer gets better and better!

Yeah but it doesn't replicate years of friendship.

There was something quite nice about watching a housemate play and chipping in, chatting etc. Not something Twitch can replicate (nor would I expect that). 

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Yeah but it doesn't replicate years of friendship.

There was something quite nice about watching a housemate play and chipping in, chatting etc. Not something Twitch can replicate (nor would I expect that). 

While I do agree with your sentiment, Origami King literally has you unravelling streamers that have wrapped around Peach's Castle. That's the goal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this