NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Helmsly

Paper Mario: The Origami King

There is more than one definition of the word 'gimmick' and whilst i'd expect the ingenious new angle to be in any game, Sticker Star is an abomination and stick to definitions 1a and 3, and completely forgot it was meant to be improve upon prior games

Sticker Star is an example of a gimmick for a gimmicks sake, just to market something new, honestly if they couldn't think of anything good that improved the system they should have kept stickers out of the battle system and focused on an actual engaging story - RPG's aren't about mechanics they are about stories, and experiences, something which Sticker Star had very little of either, story, experience or good mechanics

Its yet to be seen how the spinning plates work in practice (is there a proper name for it?) but i'd hope its more an ingenious new angle that improves the game.

Spoiler

gimmick noun
gim·mick | \ ˈgi-mik  \
Definition of gimmick (Entry 1 of 2)

1. 1a: a mechanical device for secretly and dishonestly controlling gambling apparatus
    b: an ingenious or novel mechanical device : GADGET
  2. 2a: an important feature that is not immediately apparent : CATCH
    b: an ingenious and usually new scheme or angle
    c: a trick or device used to attract business or attention
  3. a marketing gimmick

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Well, new mechanics can work well and they can work badly. I found the colouring of cards in Colour Splash boring and slow. I haven't played Sticker Star but making the battles dependent on some random stickers just doesn't seem fun.

Sometimes, you also just want more of a good thing. You just don't need to reinvent the wheel every time. 

• Like 2

"Gimmick" is one of those words that's supposed to mean something specific ("an ingenious and usually new device, angle, or scheme" is pretty much THE definition, with every other being essentially the same thing, but in other contexts), but it's often used as an insult. Because in criticism lingo, "gimmick" is short for "gimmick I don't like".

Support convos in Fire Emblem are a gimmick and I love them. Mario Galaxy's inverted gravity is a gimmick, too. Lots of cool mechanics are gimmicks. But when someone's fuming, you know what they mean when they use the word. It can even get out of hand. I recall once hearing that "Ganondorf being the villain in Twilight Princess is just a gimmick", which was just silly. That gross misuse is not what's happening in this thread, I'm just musing, and hopefully reminding of the importance of good vocabulary

Back to the main point, the Paper Mario series is made of gimmicks. The paper aesthetic is a gimmick. Helpers are a gimmick. Gimmicks are just new mechanics, so maybe this wheel thing works really well (and I definitely like the clockwork amphitheatre vibe).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Urgh, that battle system looks horrible...

Edited by drahkon

Looks like a more complex version of the one from the first two games. I'm assuming it will be one of those "love it or hate it" things, because I love puzzles like this.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I'm assuming it will be one of those "love it or hate it" things, because I love puzzles like this.

Probably.

I don't like timed puzzles in my RPGs which is why I think it looks bad :p

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Probably.

I don't like timed puzzles in my RPGs which is why I think it looks bad :p

Oh! Then the Mario RPG series are definitely not for you :heh: All of them have a variant of that.

aj78rVZ.jpg

Aren't timed hits different, though? Like "press the button at the right time"?

The video above shows that you have 30 seconds to solve a puzzle in a fight. That's what I don't like.

Just now, drahkon said:

Aren't timed hits different, though? Like "press the button at the right time"?

The video above shows that you have 30 seconds to solve a puzzle in a fight. That's what I don't like.

Ah, I misinterpreted, then, sorry. Fair enough, I find time limits in puzzle games overly stressful too. Time limits for preparations are a bit different (since the goals are more flexible), but I can see how they can hit similar unpleasant notes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I find time limits in puzzle games overly stressful too.

The Witness' optional challenge springs to mind.

Tried it so many times but could never do it. :D

3 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Time limits for preparations are a bit different (since the goals are more flexible), but I can see how they can hit similar unpleasant notes.

Yeah, I can understand the appeal. For me, a turn-based battle system has to give me time to let me plan my moves, though.

• Thanks 1

The new trailer is much more informative than the last one and answers plenty of questions. It feels like it could have been lifted directly from an E3 2020 Direct, if such a thing was taking place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

content-4-36253-papermariotheorigamikingbanner.jpg

New trailer released for Paper Mario: The Origami King

Full press release and trailer up on the main page. :)

Now that I can see where they are going with the battle system, I'm pretty happy with the idea of the game overall.

It's a fully fledged, Paper Mario battle system, with timed elements and added strategy. While the rest of the game looks decent overall. :D

Though I have to say, since starting playing Bug Fables, this is going to have to be pretty special to top that. :peace:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

The Witness' optional challenge springs to mind.

Tried it so many times but could never do it. :D

Yeah, I can understand the appeal. For me, a turn-based battle system has to give me time to let me plan my moves, though.

The narrator suggests it's once per battle at the start. Boss battles looks to be the exception, maybe.

11 minutes ago, Ike said:

The narrator suggests it's once per battle at the start. Boss battles looks to be the exception, maybe.

Still too much :p

• Haha 1

Not too keen on the battle system myself. Puzzles being in the game is fine but mixing them in with the battle system and adding a timer just seems like they were grasping for something different. Sticking with what they had in previous games would've been fine.

Also not keen on the bosses they showed. I get they're going with an overarching theme but it seems very surface deep rather than coming up with something truly unique there. I get it's only 3 of them but I'm not feeling them.

I did like the look of the game at first but I think with Ghost of Tsushima out on the same day, I've kind of already hitched my horse to that bandwagon. I was going to be picking both that and this up but I'll need to see some decent review scores to change that as it's just not looking and sounding my cup of tea going by that trailer. We'll see, may change my mind but doubt it.

Yeah, my interest in this has waned as well. Those battles look tiresome and potentially frustrating and time-consuming in a bad way. 

However, I enjoyed the theme of the bosses. I think they seemed creative. 

I kind of wish they would add some more Toads and flesh the character out a bit more.

• Haha 2

Cool, I have a similar one but from Yoshi's Crafted World. But it folds in the same way, you can keep folding it endlessly.

Relatively late previews for this make me also think the review embargo might also be up late. Thursday 16th or Wednesday 15th July perhaps?

The game's ending and last dungeon, the length of the game and stuff has been leaked. *sigh*

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

The game's ending and last dungeon, the length of the game and stuff has been leaked. *sigh*

How long is the game? I wouldn’t consider that a spoiler.  It’s something I actively want to know.

Sign in to follow this