NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Helmsly

Paper Mario: The Origami King

I've only ever played the Paper Mario game on the Wii, I think? The platformer where you switch between 2D and 3D?
I hated it.

The other entries in the series are RPGs, though, aren't they?

I might give this one a go. Trailer is pretty cool.

WHAT THE FUCK!? It’s still coming out in July!?!?

Wasn't expecting it to actually make its date! :o 

Guess it must’ve been another Color Splash situation and the game was actually finished months ago, before COVID struck (Color Splash was actually finished 6 months before it’s release date).

Edited by Dcubed

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

I've only ever played the Paper Mario game on the Wii, I think? The platformer where you switch between 2D and 3D?
I hated it.

The other entries in the series are RPGs, though, aren't they?

I might give this one a go. Trailer is pretty cool.

Yeah the series is a little odd now that its changed. The first two were indeed RPG's and I genuinely feel Paper Mario 2 is one of the greatest games Nintendo has ever made, but then they changed things and I personally didn't enjoy them as much, like the Wii game you mentioned. If this is like the original games it could be amazing.

• Like 2

Haven't played the original or The Thousand Year Door yet (something I'll rectify when they bring them to Switch...right, Nintendo?), but man, I am all about this art style. I'm certainly interested. 

Nintendo just dropping news like this out of the blue is always great. Still the Kings of Left Field. 

Strong counter to Ghost of Tsushima, which comes out on the same day. Guess that's going to be a busy weekend :p

EDIT: Nintendo JP have out a short clip of the battle system in action...

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only played Thousand Year Door, but this looks brilliant.  Funny and quite sinister at the same time!

• Like 2

Wow where did this come from?  Lovely surprise and looks to be back to the RPG format. 
I loved Paper Mario 64 & Thousand Year Door.  The writing is usually very good too & wittier than you’d expect.  I really hope it follows the quality of these than the more recent outings.  I am excited by this!

• Like 1

Yeeeeeeessss!!!! Thousand year door is one of the greatest RPGs of all time (not opinion, fact), so I'm ecstatic to see turn based battles return. I see from that little clip that audiences are back, and there are lots of flashes of story, so this looks to be the closest to TYD of all the games since then.

Any word on what studio is making this?

• Like 2

Just now, LazyBoy said:

Yeeeeeeessss!!!! Thousand year door is one of the greatest RPGs of all time (not opinion, fact), so I'm ecstatic to see turn based battles return. I see from that little clip that audiences are back, and there are lots of flashes of story, so this looks to be the closest to TYD of all the games since then.

Completely agree (hence the avatar!!)

Super stoked for this, love that there is still some surprises on the horizon too! 

• Like 5

WOW Looks awesome!!!

From reveal > release in two months, yes please!!!

Great trailer, I loved Colour Splash but the scope of this looks way bigger. I've only played Super Paper Mario on the Wii (loved it), Sticker Star (enjoyed it) and Colour Splash, so I'm happy with whatever style they give us.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Says Intelligent Systems in the trailer.

• Thanks 1

Surprise surprise... people are happy and excited for this one, despite it not being a clone of TTYD; PURELY because it’s on Switch and doesn’t have the 2016 Cheap Spinoff negative narrative colouring people’s impressions...

Color Splash got done proper dirty... Fucking injustice...

Edited by Dcubed

I hope it's got more of a TTYD / PP64 feel to it. Trailer looks decent though.

Atm, my only concerns are the generic looking partners (Colour Splash had this problem) and the battle system.

Yeah, I need more details on the battle system/is there a level up system before I get too excited, but initial impressions are good. The humour is there which is good.

The battle menu has weapon/item menus so it doesn't look like they cards are back.

Are all of the NPC's just different coloured variations of Toad, Goomba and Shy Guys though? I've never played any of the Paper Mario games but wasn't the lack of charm & personality one of the biggest complaints about Colour Splash? 

32 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Are all of the NPC's just different coloured variations of Toad, Goomba and Shy Guys though? I've never played any of the Paper Mario games but wasn't the lack of charm & personality one of the biggest complaints about Colour Splash? 

There was tons of charm and personality in Colour Splash, it was bursting with it. 

But yeah the Toads were all just different colours.

Suspect this'll be like Colour Splash but with a better battle system. It's being described on the official site as an Action Adventure, which as someone who's sick of all the RPGs releasing on Switch, is music to my ears.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

There was tons of charm and personality in Colour Splash, it was bursting with it. 

But yeah the Toads were all just different colours.

Suspect this'll be like Colour Splash but with a better battle system. It's being described on the official site as an Action Adventure, which as someone who's sick of all the RPGs releasing on Switch, is music to my ears.

I'd settle for this and a HD remaster of TTYD.

After reading what everyone's said about the battle system, yeah, I think I'll wait to see a bit more before committing to picking this up. It looks fun and colourful. At the very least, it makes me want to play the older games for the first time. 

Also lends a lot of credence to that Mario Anniversary report from a little while back about 64, Sunshine, Galaxy (and 2?), and 3D World Deluxe coming to Switch this year, seeing as a new Paper Mario being part of the lineup was also rumoured too.

That's probably the most exciting part of this for me at the moment :p

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

WHAT THE FUCK!? It’s still coming out in July!?!?

Wasn't expecting it to actually make its date! :o 

What else do you know? :D

Went to preorder on Shopto and they are charging for shipping now?

10 minutes ago, Ike said:

Yeah, looks like it :blank: still have free shipping on existing pre-orders and orders over £50, so would probably get around it by pre-ordering more than one game at a time? 

SimplyGames still do free Royal Mail First Class shipping for the time being, though the game has yet to go for pre-order there. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

Yeah, it's a coronavirus thing. They said they want their deliveries to be more reliable, or something along those lines.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tim B said:

Yeah, it's a coronavirus thing. They said they want their deliveries to be more reliable, or something along those lines.

Ah, I had a feeling it was to do with that. Fair enough then, they are still working after all. As long as it's only temporary.

Sign in to follow this