NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 (4th September 2020)

Revealed during today's Summer Game Fest!

Brought into the modern era by Vicarious Vision, who handled the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. Original maps, skaters, and songs from the original soundtrack, and new features like online multiplayer.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now this is what it's like when WORLDS COLLIIIIIIIIIIDE

Can't wait for this. Vicarious Vision, I trust you to do a great job. :peace:

• Thanks 1

I only played their first GBA Tony Hawk game but I played it a tonne so I have a lot of faith in Vicarious Visions to pull this off. 

The first control entry I owned was THPS3 so I'm not too familiar with either of the first two entries, don't have any nostalgia for any of the music in those games so as long as the gameplay is on point I'll be happy

I only learned yesterday that there was a THPS5! And looks like I didn't miss anything there. I do remember THPS HD coming out, but never got around to playing that. I think the main criticism with HD was that they couldn't get the physics engine to work like in the older games so it played quite differently and not as good as the old games. I'm curious to see if they can fix that for 1+2 Remaster.

Anyway, siked now because I have a lot of nostalgia for the series. I've played 2, 4, Underground 1+2 and American Sk8land (the DS one) to bits and I think I've played 3 a little bit as well. The soundtracks still bring back great memories, although the later ones had too much hiphop and other tracks to my liking. But the punkrock and metal tracks, god damn.

Trailer looks good, but I need to see more gameplay. They went for the realistic look it seems, which can work out although more cartoony maybe would have been better. I wonder if there will be an option to play as young Tony or old Tony. :p And I need to see if I can find one of these as that's what I used to play THPS2 with back in the days:

51P4D51Z48L._AC_.jpg

Bring the Noise!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Trailer looks good, but I need to see more gameplay. 

Speaking of...some more gameplay with Tony over on Jack Black's YouTube channel:

• Thanks 1

tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-plus-2-ps4-plays

Crazy how far we've come :D

Back in the day the left side looked like the right side in my mind :laughing:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Never got a chance to properly play the original launches and was always jealous of my Playstation friends having it. These new versions look pretty awesome, looking forward to finally playing them!

• Thanks 1

I'm cautiously optimistic about these. It feels like everyone's ignoring the fact that they did HD re-release of these two games this last gen and they were pretty poor, messed them up with a couple of stupid choices, no split-screen, no park editor, some crappy design changes.

From what I hear you'll be able to manual and revert in both games, even though neither was designed to have those...

No doubt it looks gorgeous this time, but I'll wait for the reviews before jumping in for this one. Fool me once...

56 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about these. It feels like everyone's ignoring the fact that they did HD re-release of these two games this last gen and they were pretty poor, messed them up with a couple of stupid choices, no split-screen, no park editor, some crappy design changes.

From what I hear you'll be able to manual and revert in both games, even though neither was designed to have those...

No doubt it looks gorgeous this time, but I'll wait for the reviews before jumping in for this one. Fool me once...

I mean, having a look, those remasters were handled by Robomodo, and none of their games ring a bell for me as being critically praised.

This is being handled by Vicarious Visions, who handled the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy a couple of years back, and who has people who worked on the original Pro Skaters 2 - 4, and had a hand in some other great PS1 games. 

Totally understand the caution about the inclusion of manuals and revert, but yeah, everything they've said and done before leads to what Tony was saying about these guys being the best to handle this probably being right. But time will tell I guess! 

Vicarious Visions have put up a Spotify playlist featuring 18 tracks which will presumably be in the game. 

The tracklist:

1. “Police Truck” — Dead Kennedys
2. “Superman” — Goldfinger
3. “Jerry Was A Race Car Driver” — Primus
4. “New Girl” — The Suicide Machines
5. “Here and Now” — The Ernies
6. “Euro-Barge” — The Vandals
7. “Blood Brothers” — Papa Roach
8. “Guerilla Radio” — Rage Against The Machine”
9. “Pin the Tail on the Donkey” — Naughty by Nature
10. “You” — Bad Religion
11. “When Worlds Collide” — Powerman 5000
12. “No Cigar” — Mlilencolin
13. “Cyclone” — Dub Pistols
14. “May 16” — Lagwagon
15. “Subculture (feat. Dieselboy + Kaos VIP)” — Styles of Beyond
16. “Heavy Metal Winner” — Consumed
17. “Evil Eye” — Fu Manchu
18. “Five Lessons Learned” — Swingin’ Utters

Shout-out to Superman being the best track. Ahem. 

Also teasing a bunch more songs returning in this promo for the game's soundtrack: 

tony_hawk_track_list.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh boy, I remember that one week when I played THPS2 only with Blood Brothers by Papa Roach playing in the background :D

Listening to this playlist takes me back to the good old times... :(

But I don’t wanna hear it
No, it’s more than I accept

’Cause I don’t care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won’t waste my time fitting in

The memories, man...the memories.

• Like 2

I never managed to play 1 and 2, but I played the shit out of 3 when that came out on the Gamecube. What a game. I've got so many fond memories. I really, really want this to be good. 

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Vicarious Visions have put up a Spotify playlist featuring 18 tracks which will presumably be in the game. 

The tracklist:

Shout-out to Superman being the best track. Ahem. 

Also teasing a bunch more songs returning in this promo for the game's soundtrack: 

tony_hawk_track_list.png

The soundtrack to my late teens and early 20s. This game is going to be beautiful.

Tony Hawk’s 2 was always my favourite so I’m looking forward to playing this. I still put the original on from time to time.

1 minute ago, Nicktendo said:

The soundtrack to my late teens and early 20s. This game is going to be beautiful.

Wow, you're old :p And still very immature while carrying a net :D

I was almost 10 when the first one was released. :laughing:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Wow, you're old :p And still very immature while carrying a net :D

I was almost 10 when the first one was released. :laughing:

Well thinking about it, I was around 14 when the first game came out but I got deep into the genre and it stayed with me for a good 10 years after that. The net thing is purely a lack of entertainment :grin:

• Haha 1

I played the crap out of the first THPS on my PS1 in 1999-2000. I had a GBA copy of THPS 2 that I played but I only ever had a demo of PS1 THPS 2 that I played pretty much to death.

This is out tomorrow, is anyone else planning on picking this up?

My copy is on its way, but admittedly, I'm kind of in the mood to start up a JRPG, so might not get to playing it for a week or two :laughing: but I'm really looking forward to playing this, it's been such a long time since I played 2 on my aunt's sofa, and took turns chaotically scraping my way by with one of my cousins! 

Undoubtedly the soundtrack will take me back, really hope they've managed to maintain the core of the original gameplay, but bring it up to modern standards. Should be a really great time! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Really wanna play it but with Final Fantasy VII Remake taking up 90% of my gaming these days I'll hold off for a while.

Will definitely get it eventually, though. Probably just to get the Platinum but it seems like it's quite a thorough trophy list.

I'm desperate to play it, but on PC it's an Epic Store exclusive so that's a no-no. Here's hoping a Switch version is indeed coming, or that the game will also hit Steam in a couple of months. 

• Thanks 1

I would like to play this remaster, but it's Activision... I can wait for a second-hand copy, or a new copy being sold as second-hand.

Interestingly, I noticed The Game Collection are now selling pre-owned games, or at least are planning to, it would seem?

There's no mechanism to actually "sell" games to them yet, and the pre-owned page just goes to a 404, plus you don't seem to be able to buy any game pre-owned yet.

I would guess that this is something they will be rolling out soon, it will likely work the same as similar retailers, except there's no physical retail and you'd send them in.

I just found it interesting, as this could be a good option for anyone who wants to buy a new game, but isn't too fussed about buying new from a particular publisher.

It is only £2 difference between new and pre-owned currently, but it's good that the option is there, or soon will be.

- - - -

As for the actual remasters, both games look like they've had a decent amount of time, research and attention to detail put into them, to make them as good as they can be on a new modern-day engine. I can see this doing pretty well over the next few weeks/months, especially when word gets around...

"Hey, did you know that the Tony Hawk's games got re-released?"

"No way? Those games from the Nineties?"

"Yeah, except they look loads better now and they have online leaderboards etc"

"I'm going to buy that for sure, I haven't played those games in forever..."

Nostalgia can be a powerful selling point. :D 

They'll also want to get that Switch version out as soon as possible.

After their track record, this definitely isn't the kind of game I'd preorder. It's got a good chance of being great, but an even better chance of them totally messing it up somehow. Got my eye on it though!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I would like to play this remaster, but it's Activision... I can wait for a second-hand copy, or a new copy being sold as second-hand.

What's up with Activision?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

What's up with Activision?

They're just one publisher (of many) which I try not to give money to any more, their business practices aren't brilliant and the less said about the 'higher-ups' in that company, the better.

I get that it's the developers who make the games but still, it's all still owned by Activision, and as such, I'll likely be buying the game second-hand.

Does it make a difference ultimately? Probably not a very big one, but if everyone voted with their wallet, then things might change.

Again, probably not, maybe the only thing which would happen if nobody bought this game new, is that we wouldn't get any more remasters.

If you really like a particular game or series, it's probably better to just buy the game and support the developer but it's a bit of a catch 22 when certain publishers are involved.

There isn't really any other game published by Activision which I'm interested in, so it's easier for me to wait on this game, being that I haven't conciously supported the publisher in recent times, I bought Destiny initially, the Crash remasters (though I don't know why now) and Sekiro because there was no other option, though I could have easily just waited or not bothered with that as well, looking back. ::shrug:

It's the same for Ubisoft and a few other developers/publishers... I might have supported them in the past, but I just can't or won't any more where possible.

(this might be good to make another thread on but it might just end up dragging up age-old circular discussion which probably won't lead anywhere)

TL:DR - Tony Hawk's remasters look good, but I wish I could support just the developer and not the publisher. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G

Sign in to follow this