NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (10th November 2020)

Anyone got this? General impressions seem to be pretty good, though watching SkillUp's review is seems like it has a load of the annoying bullshit that put me off Odyssey after a while (deeply repetitive gameplay, ridiculous unwarranted length, general jankiness).

That said others have said all the stories are weird and inventive, which is the kind of thing I want out of a game like this.

I'm still making my way through Tshima which will probably keep me going until cyberpunk, but it would be great to hear thoughts on anyone who's played it

This is the next game I’m going to play. Don’t think I’ve played an Assassin’s Creed since the original so I’m quite looking forward to getting stuck in with this one. I haven’t read much about the specifics but it does seem like it’s got a lot of positive attention.

• Like 1

Ended up getting in leui of a stable Cyberpunk.. played a few hours, I'm really loving it!! The new 'mysteries' on the map are excellent, all unique little discoveries, amusing, and diverse in their gameplay, unlike say Ghost of Tushima or thre previous two games. Combat is maybe a bit weak but feels chunky and satisfying. So far the writing and voiceover performances are way way better than Origins or Odyssey - those awful accents really put me off those games.

The first few hours have nice warm Skyrimish feels, the raids have a cool Two Towers feeling, and it's got a bunch of personality. Love it!

• Like 3

Picked this up with a PSN giftcard i got for Christmas.  Absolutely loving it, far better than Odyssey (which for me, was getting boring and tedious with too much filler).  Playing a mail Eivor over female, went female in Odyssey

Spoiler

I'm liking the settlement building again, which they've bought back from III and added some padding to it.  You need to work for these buildings, and you get some quests to go along with it.

Went from a Skyrim-esq feeling of the first few hours to the lush, green world of the Last Kingdom.  Raids are great too.  Still early on, but can see this one getting finished.  And because it's Christmas, there's the Yule festival going on as well.

How's everyone getting on with this? It's the first Assassin's Creed I've played in years (I think the last one I dabbled in was Syndicate) and it's got me hooked. About 30 hours in and it feels like I've barely scratched the surface, but not in a way that's making me feel 'do I really have another 50 hours of this to go?' So hopefully it stays that way. The world feels big, but easy and quick to get around, and the main quests are structured in a way that doesn't make you feel like you have to do too much unnecessary wandering.

I'm at around a power level of 90, about to head to Oxfordshire, and just started a sidequest I wasn't expecting... 

Spoiler

Although it had alluded to Eivor's links with Odin, I was surprised that there's a whole Odin storyline to play! So much fun storming across the Bifrost! Was slightly confused that he's called Havi, had to Google to check that out, and as I let the Animus choose my gender and had been female Eivor up to now, I hadn't realised that the Odin character model was the same as male Eivor, which I guess makes the link clearer if you're playing as him. Looking forward to seeing how this plot line plays out and links to the main story. 

How's everyone getting on with this? It's the first Assassin's Creed I've played in years (I think the last one I dabbled in was Syndicate) and it's got me hooked. About 30 hours in and it feels like I've barely scratched the surface, but not in a way that's making me feel 'do I really have another 50 hours of this to go?' So hopefully it stays that way. The world feels big, but easy and quick to get around, and the main quests are structured in a way that doesn't make you feel like you have to do too much unnecessary wandering.
I'm at around a power level of 90, about to head to Oxfordshire, and just started a sidequest I wasn't expecting... 
Spoiler Although it had alluded to Eivor's links with Odin, I was surprised that there's a whole Odin storyline to play! So much fun storming across the Bifrost! Was slightly confused that he's called Havi, had to Google to check that out, and as I let the Animus choose my gender and had been female Eivor up to now, I hadn't realised that the Odin character model was the same as male Eivor, which I guess makes the link clearer if you're playing as him. Looking forward to seeing how this plot line plays out and links to the main story. 

I'm really enjoying it too, I'm currently in Shropshire, around power level 180 or so. I've put a lot of hours into it and still really finding it fun.

I think the way the game is divided up by pledging to a territory is quite clever and gives a unique flavour to each main quest arc. The biggest improvements for me are how treasures have puzzles tied to each one, so they're rarely just lying there for the taking. That, and it's clear which are "main treasures" so you can just focus on them if you like. Also enjoying the Animus glitch platforming sections, they're rather like Zelda puzzles.

I picked the male protagonist this time, since it felt more of a fit for the Viking theme. I really like the voice actor for male Eivor, very softly spoken and not what you might expect for a Viking, but it works.
  • Like 1

River Raids launch later today around 12pm.

https://www.vg247.com/2021/02/16/assassins-creed-valhalla-river-raids-patch/

Also, there's some fixes coming in the patch (all details in the link, but the bigger ones for info)

• Runes and used resources to upgrade Berserker gear will be returned to the player inventory when an item is lost.
  • Improved vibration feedback during fishing.
  • Addressed an issue that caused players to leave disguise mode if players perform any attack while riding.
  • Addressed an issue that prevented players from catching fish in the sea or on coastlines.
  • Addressed an issue that caused school of fish to take a long time to respawn after one was caught.
  • Items purchased at the Animus Store will only be given to players after returning to England from Vinland.
  • Changed predator charge attack animations to give players a little more time to react.
  • Addressed an issue that prevented fabric from being available.
  • Added date of purchase to items listed in the owned section of the store.
  • Removed diamond rune slots from gear set pieces other than torsos. Runes that were slotted into these will be returned to the player inventory.
  • Addressed various graphics or lighting issues.
  • Addressed various texture issues.
  • Addressed an issue that caused explosion VFX to be missing when oil jars explode. Oil jars will now go BOOM.
  • (PS4/PS5) The Muspell Warg mount will now burn with the fires of Hel!
  • The blood of your enemies will now soil all clothing.
  • Addressed various character or NPC animation issues.
  • Addressed various clipping issues.
  • Addressed an issue that prevented visual effects of the Draugr set to be displayed.
  • Addressed an issue that caused arrows to disappear from the quiver after reequipping the bow from the inventory

Sign in to follow this