NEurope
Charlie

SSBM - Who do you go?

Samus is my best character but i will use young link sometimes too and i'm not bad with mario.

Ganondorf is my main. Captain Falcon is a close second. Fox comes third.

Characters I like using, but not necessarily good with:

-Samus

-Falco

-Mewtwo

-Luigi

-Kirby

-Pikachu

-Mr. Game & Watch

-Ice Climbers

-Donkey Kong

-Bowser

This is why I love Smash Bros. So much variety and the characters are so much fun to use.

Ganondorf is my main. Captain Falcon is a close second. Fox comes third.

Characters I like using, but not necessarily good with:

-Samus

-Falco

-Mewtwo

-Luigi

-Kirby

-Pikachu

-Mr. Game & Watch

-Ice Climbers

-Donkey Kong

-Bowser

This is why I love Smash Bros. So much variety and the characters are so much fun to use.

a big selection

a big selection

As I said, I just find it really fun to play as those guys. And I forgot Jigglypuff! I love ticking off my friends with the Rest attack.

Besides, there are many others I hate using as well.

-Peach

-Zelda

-Ness

-Pichu

-Yoshi

-Roy

-Link

It would have to be Link for me. He has very balanced methods of fighting. He's a great melee fighter as well as having some great projectiles. A powered up bow can hit for 30, a close range boomerang the same. A bomb can cut people up before you launch a melee attack. His cyclone slash is great for clearing shield rollers.

Two of my friends play Roy and Marth. The Marth friend is speedy and great at countering, while the Roy friend is extremely powerful and can take me out quite often.

It would have to be Link for me. He has very balanced methods of fighting. He's a great melee fighter as well as having some great projectiles. A powered up bow can hit for 30, a close range boomerang the same. A bomb can cut people up before you launch a melee attack. His cyclone slash is great for clearing shield rollers.

Two of my friends play Roy and Marth. The Marth friend is speedy and great at countering, while the Roy friend is extremely powerful and can take me out quite often.

If the roy player is more powerful, that marth guy can't play properly, considering marth is so much stronger.

If the roy player is more powerful, that marth guy can't play properly, considering marth is so much stronger.

Roy does more damage, pretty simple really. Also it tends to be a lot easier to get stuck into someone, rather than keep enough distance when slicing (regarding dealing best damage with tip/length of blade).

Besides, it's not the Marth player being bad, it's the Roy player being very good. Anyone can beat anyone if they are more skilled.

Roy does more damage, pretty simple really. Also it tends to be a lot easier to get stuck into someone, rather than keep enough distance when slicing (regarding dealing best damage with tip/length of blade).

Besides, it's not the Marth player being bad, it's the Roy player being very good. Anyone can beat anyone if they are more skilled.

lol, Marths tip does WAY more damage than Roys sweetspot. Even been on smashwiki? And i doubt he's 'very good', probs just good for a noob, because if he was truly a good player and new al the techniques (wavedashing, l-cancelling, wall/ledge-teching, SHFLL'ing and DI, then you'd all know is FAR weaker.

lol, Marths tip does WAY more damage than Roys sweetspot. Even been on smashwiki? And i doubt he's 'very good', probs just good for a noob, because if he was truly a good player and new al the techniques (wavedashing, l-cancelling, wall/ledge-teching, SHFLL'ing and DI, then you'd all know is FAR weaker.

No, what I mean is, if someone is more skilled than the other player, they can defeat them with whatever character they want.

Marth is definitely faster, but Roy seems to be more powerful. This is just a general observation over the years with people of varying skill. Not just with attacks, his B charge up goes to an extra level to do a 1-hit kill. I know smashwiki lists Marth as more powerful, but unless you're going at competetive play level that isn't really the case. Besides, smashwiki does list most of his moves (non smash-A) as being more powerful than Marth, making me mostly correct there.

And I really do think it's a lot easier to do max damage with Roy than with Marth. You have to judge your distance with Marth to get that 'sweet spot'.

Don't go listing 'wavedashing' etc, to 99.99% of people who play this game that is irrelevant, and to train to be that good (IMO) seems like a waste of time. We are people who play for fun. :)

Edit: I am not saying Roy is better than Marth, just at a non competetive level Roy seems to deal more damage from basic attacks (not going by how the person plays with him), while Marth is very speedy.

No, what I mean is, if someone is more skilled than the other player, they can defeat them with whatever character they want.

Marth is definitely faster, but Roy seems to be more powerful. This is just a general observation over the years with people of varying skill. Not just with attacks, his B charge up goes to an extra level to do a 1-hit kill. I know smashwiki lists Marth as more powerful, but unless you're going at competetive play level that isn't really the case. Besides, smashwiki does list most of his moves (non smash-A) as being more powerful than Marth, making me mostly correct there.

And I really do think it's a lot easier to do max damage with Roy than with Marth. You have to judge your distance with Marth to get that 'sweet spot'.

Don't go listing 'wavedashing' etc, to 99.99% of people who play this game that is irrelevant, and to train to be that good (IMO) seems like a waste of time. We are people who play for fun. :)

Edit: I am not saying Roy is better than Marth, just at a non competetive level Roy seems to deal more damage from basic attacks (not going by how the person plays with him), while Marth is very speedy.

lol, so I don't play for fun? FFS, I love this game with a bloody passion, i'd say i enjoy more than you because I'm able to get more out of it. And actually, there's only a small amount of people that don't use tecnhiques (mainly in England and other Euro countries); most of America (where the game has sold incredibly well because of it's competitive nature) plays with em.

lol, so I don't play for fun? FFS, I love this game with a bloody passion, i'd say i enjoy more than you because I'm able to get more out of it. And actually, there's only a small amount of people that don't use tecnhiques (mainly in England and other Euro countries); most of America (where the game has sold incredibly well because of it's competitive nature) plays with em.

Before another "Casual players vs. Advanced players" discussion erupts here, let's put some thing straight.

When "casual players" say they play for fun, they mean mindless fun. As in a quick game with nothing at stake and where laughs and madness is all that matters.

I don't doubt that "advanced players" play the game for fun, too, but it's a different kind of fun, it's a competitive fun, where skill of the player and the winner matters more than everything.

I just wanted to say that, because many useless discussions about this erupt because of this misunderstansing. Sheikah meant mindless fun, which is the kind of fun you enjoy the least (for SSBM). He's not saying you don't have fun as well.

Also, the game didn't sell well because of competitive playing, it sold well because it's Nintendo All-Stars and was well received by most.

And the majority of people who have it don't play it competitively. Just the people who loved it the most (and those who love competition, too).

About Marth and Roy, I think there is a balance problem between those two.

Roy is supposed to be more powerful, but Marth can be just as powerful with his tip (if used correctly). Roy is supposed to be better in close range, but the long sword doesn't help. End result, Marth ends up being better in a skilled player's hand and Roy is more difficult to master.

By the way, I don't play competitively. Take my opinion for what you think it's worth.

Ok Jonnas, I like your post. You're kinda on the right track :)

A couple of things however:

1. Me and Zell play competitively, and winning isn't everything at all. It's only about winning if you're at a tourny playing for money., and even then most of the time you play competitively to understand your playstyle and get better. Winning is nice but even when I get beaten it allows me to understand more about what I can/can't do.

2. And yeah, I agree what you said about Roy/Marth. Thing is, no player is going to get hit with a smash attack unless they can't dodge or have slow reflexes. With good spacing Marth is more powerful, but i'd rather use roy against computers (in the Event modes for example) because you don't have to worry about spacing because they're idiots :heh:

Ok Jonnas, I like your post. You're kinda on the right track :)

A couple of things however:

1. Me and Zell play competitively, and winning isn't everything at all. It's only about winning if you're at a tourny playing for money., and even then most of the time you play competitively to understand your playstyle and get better. Winning is nice but even when I get beaten it allows me to understand more about what I can/can't do.

2. And yeah, I agree what you said about Roy/Marth. Thing is, no player is going to get hit with a smash attack unless they can't dodge or have slow reflexes. With good spacing Marth is more powerful, but i'd rather use roy against computers (in the Event modes for example) because you don't have to worry about spacing because they're idiots :heh:

Honestly I think the percentage of people using techniques such as wavedash and the like would be very, very slim. Most people I know can dodge well and have good reflexes, so it's as if you're playing extremely good, as far as you can go without learning additional techniques. Call it having 'adapted' to the noncompetitive way.

I don't think that the people who train competetively have the same motives as those people who just play for fun, so to put it. Professional players must train a hell of a lot, and no doubt a lot of focus becomes on ranking etc. I suppose it's like professional sports players and people who just go play a sport for a bit of fun. Professional sports players will have fun too, but they have a lot more at stake and must put in a lot of difficult training.

Never lost a fight as young link, allthough the people I play SSBM with are not that good at the game so. So my biggest challenge is 3 Cpu's at 9. I wish I had friends who could play video games. ;/.

Point is Young Link rules, fast and small ^^

Marth IS more powerful. Not only is it easier to land 'killing' blows he also does more in the majority of his moves. Go here for a complete list.

Thing is, you don't have to let your enemies get close to pull it off. Hitting them from further away while doing the same damage is an advantage.

I'd say it's more around 50% or so. Also, as it's been pointed out already, everyone plays for fun.

Also, Roy can be considered faster than Marth as he falls quicker and has a longer dash dance.

Marth IS more powerful. Not only is it easier to land 'killing' blows he also does more in the majority of his moves. Go here for a complete list.

Thing is, you don't have to let your enemies get close to pull it off. Hitting them from further away while doing the same damage is an advantage.

I'd say it's more around 50% or so. Also, as it's been pointed out already, everyone plays for fun.

Also, Roy can be considered faster than Marth as he falls quicker and has a longer dash dance.

I think we can go ahead and say from your username you are a bit biased. ;)

On that link you provided:

This is right…to an extent. Like I said before, most newbs just spam smashes and tilts with Roy without any regard to the sweet-spot or his aerial game, so in their case Roy would be better.

It also goes on to say that if both characters were used to the full potential, if you use aerial attacks etc then Marth would be better. Basically that's confirmation of what I'm saying- noncompetitive players probably won't have a formulated and researched style, as a result Roy will be stronger in your average match (obviously not at some competetive level).

As for the techniques, honestly, the amount who must have used gamefaqs or some other related site to read techniques and then practiced over them at most must be 0.1%, although is probably a hell of a lot lower, simply because there are far fewer 'game nerds' (sorry to brand this so harshly) than people who just play the games for fun, alongside all the other console's games.

I honestly, honestly cannot see 50% of people - what's that, millions of people, brushing up on gamefaqs on how to use wavedash etc, then going to their gc/wii and spending hour upon hour (on a game that was released years and years ago) to 'train' their characters, yet at competitions the turnout is generally pisspoor.

Sorry, you talk bollocks. :(

It also goes on to say that if both characters were used to the full potential, if you use aerial attacks etc then Marth would be better. Basically that's confirmation of what I'm saying- noncompetitive players probably won't have a formulated and researched style, as a result Roy will be stronger in your average match (obviously not at some competetive level).

Yeah, we can all agree that in advanced matches Marth > Roy.

However, in casual matches both guys have different strenghts and it all depends on whatever skills the players have.

As for the techniques, honestly, the amount who must have used gamefaqs or some other related site to read techniques and then practiced over them at most must be 0.1%, although is probably a hell of a lot lower, simply because there are far fewer 'game nerds' (sorry to brand this so harshly) than people who just play the games for fun, alongside all the other console's games.

I honestly, honestly cannot see 50% of people - what's that, millions of people, brushing up on gamefaqs on how to use wavedash etc, then going to their gc/wii and spending hour upon hour (on a game that was released years and years ago) to 'train' their characters, yet at competitions the turnout is generally pisspoor.

To be honest, nobody knows the true amount of people that play it competitively (I believe it reaches 10% at least).

The people who like to play SSBM competitively are the same people who love competition in fighting games. SSBM just happens to be a balanced fighting game that can be played in skill-mode or party-mode.

Besides, I don't think there really is a need to use Wavedash, SHFFL, L-cancel, etc. I have seen a few tourney matches via youtube that didn't use them.

Sure, the players had an excellent control of air-dodge, prediction and amazing combos, but they were the best that they could be, without utilising the "advanced" techniques. :wink:

If you think the turnabout of tournaments is poor, that's probably because many people don't have access to tournaments. Also, there are probably some people that want to try, but have no reason to (no way to access tournaments, no one to play with, etc.).

The best way to see if the SSB tournament scene is popular or not is to wait for the online in SSBB. When they start to host tournaments online, we'll see how many people attend to them when there are no proximity problems.

I seriously doubt 3 million people know or care about advanced techniques.

Smash World Forums has over 70,000 members. That's a hell of a lot, even if it's a low percentage to total game sales. And if you factor in that a lot of those people have friends who aren't registered to SWF and all the other dedicated forums, then that number could go above 100,000. Sure that's just a guess, it could be way less, it could be way more. But it is certainly greater than 0.1%.

Turnout for tournaments, as far as I'm aware, is excellent in America, although it's no Halo 2.

Yeah, we can all agree that in advanced matches Marth > Roy.

However, in casual matches both guys have different strenghts and it all depends on whatever skills the players have.

I didn't mean strengths in that sense, I meant actual strength (that comes across in a noncompetitve match - Roy having a bit more strength but Marth being more agile).

To be honest, nobody knows the true amount of people that play it competitively (I believe it reaches 10% at least).

The people who like to play SSBM competitively are the same people who love competition in fighting games. SSBM just happens to be a balanced fighting game that can be played in skill-mode or party-mode.

Therein lies the conundrum. Given that online play does not exist for SSBM, 0.10 x 0.10 (your 10% estimate of comp. players) = 0.01 (1% chance of 2 competetive players by chance playing together). Sure there's meetups, but really I think the amount of competetive players, like any game, is extremely low. SSBM even lower due to the lack of online.

I think we can go ahead and say from your username you are a bit biased. ;)

On that link you provided:

No you're talking bollocks. Seriously you're so full of shit.

For noobs who even have a slightest idea on how to play, Marth is better. Trust me, his f-smash is ALOT quicker and a lot less laggier than Roys, hence why people favour him.

Also, people don't 'train' for hours upon hours. It's a little thing called multiplayer and they just naturally get better with time. Maybe you have friends to play it with or something because you DON'T get better playing by yourself OR by fighting comps.

Also, tournies are generally pretty bloody big for Smash. I mean, you have to remember it was alongside Halo 2 at MLG for 3 years (and this means EVERY MLG event, ie Atlanta, New York, vegas etc) and the game was excepted into Evo and had one of the highest turnouts. Now, when you also consider that there are smashers that travel over Europe to Swedens Euro tourny, then I wouldn't say the turnout was low at ALL.

It's definately not 50-50, but it must be ATLEAST 15-20% imo, and you also have to remember about 30% of the people who bought the game aren't into competitve 2d fighters but might still casually play the game and another 20% or so don't play the game much anymore.

Out of the people who still play the game regularly, i'd say most know how to use advance techs, but only a VERY small percentage (maybe even 0.1% like you said) could be capable of playing against the likes of ken, PC chris and the other pros simply because there is ALOT more to Smash than sheer technical skill.