NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Demuwan

´Cisco´ interested in buying Nintendo?

Isn't Copy and paste nice.

On News.com staff writer Marguerite Reardon has written an analysis piece that explores the possibility of internet giant Cisco Systems, Inc. buying Nintendo. Here´s what she writes:

Already Cisco has announced plans to spend $6.9 billion on cable set-top maker Scientific-Atlanta. When the deal closes in the next couple of months, it will be the third significant acquisition Silicon Valley-based Cisco has made in the consumer realm. The question now is, who's next? (...)

Another possible acquisition candidate for Cisco is Nintendo, the No. 3 game console maker in the U.S. A stretch? Not really. Microsoft, which is emerging as a key competitor to Cisco in the home entertainment market, is already in this market with the Xbox 360. Gaming has already proved to be a strong application for broadband, so it makes sense that Cisco would want to own a game device to help drive more traffic on its network. With its popular GameBoy product, Nintendo would also provide Cisco an entree into the mobile-handheld market.

Other potential candidates include TiVo, Sling Media and Ruckus Wireless. If Cisco really do have their eye on Nintendo, they are unlikely to make a move soon. Murray Arenson, a senior analyst at Ferris Baker Watts, is quoted in the same article:

"Cisco will go slowly in digesting Scientific-Atlanta. There are still a lot of hanging question marks to answer before they go out and acquire anything else in this market."

Also, a Nintendo takeover would be no easy feat. I cannot find any reliable info on the total value of the company. Estimates on various forums range from thirty to forty billion US dollars. Either way, they seem to be well prepared. In June 2003, Nintendo repurchased almost 8 million of their own shares. Late last year, they bought another 2 million. Such moves are commonly seen as protecting themselves against possible takeovers.

When Bill Gates expressed his continued interest in buying Nintendo in the summer of 2004, Games Industry reaffirmed that the majority of shares are held by former president Hiroshi Yamauchi. They also called Nintendo ´the most profitable business in the games industry´.

Related Sources

http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3920

http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=5614

Not true,no one will buy Nintendo they make bucket loads buy themselves

EDIT - laods to loads

Not true,no one will buy Nintendo they make bucket loads buy themselves

It wont happen :P Cisco will have to make their own console like Microsoft did :p

Iwata and especially Yamauchi have too much honour to sell Nintendo to a western company. I don't think it will ever happen since Nintendo's not their priority and it would cost them more then half of what the Nintendo is worth.

I love the way this article is well funded and based on some serious facts. Typical american corporate thinking "I want it, I buy it".

Nintendo is a family company and they wont sell it.

And I've never heard of Cisco, there's no way they'd have the money to buy Nintendo.

Sure someone can buy Nintendo because as far as I know Nintendo does not own the majority of shares. Yes the bought much of them back but not enough - if you have the muscle aka cash you can buy Nintendo but this would take a serious amount of cash.

:laughing: I've read this yesterday, it's really ridiculous, the day Nintendo is sold is the day teeth have a mind of their own.

"Sure someone can buy Nintendo because as far as I know Nintendo does not own the majority of shares."

Its a pretty big article, but check out the last paragraph.:) (ok, perhaps not nintendo directly? :grin:

"Sure someone can buy Nintendo because as far as I know Nintendo does not own the majority of shares."

Its a pretty big article, but check out the last paragraph.:) (ok, perhaps not nintendo directly? :grin:

That paragraph you mention does not mean Yamauchi holds 51% of the Nintendo shares. He holds the most shares as a single person - that could mean anything from 1 to 99%. If he has 20% of the shares and Nintendo 80% nobody can buy them but if he holds 20% and Nintendo 30% and there are 50% on the market you can buy them out. Also if you own a certain amount of stocks you can influence company decisions because you can place your people aswell into the directors lounge.

A couple of years ago Microsoft made Nintendo an 27 billion offer and they flat out refused it. So...I'm not giving Cisco any chance at all.

The day someone buys Nintendo is the day all the staff walk out and I stop gaming.

Nintendo jsut would not sell out, ask Iwata, i bet anything he'd say no amount of money could buy nintendo.

On another slightly related note, Nintedo have been buying stock back.

I've been reading about this all day on the net, to clear some things up...

Nintendo has been, collectively, buying back stock from not just other companies/corporations, but also individuals. You may remember Hiroshi Yamauchi, the old president of Nintendo Ltd. before Iwata, owned a signifcant amount of stock in the company itself. When he left his position, he sold ALL of his stock back to Nintendo, as well as the ownership of the Seattle Mariners i belive.

Just for those of you who dont know, Yamauchi bought the mariners a while ago, now i'm not that up on baseball so i dont know how much for or when, but this documentary video supports this fact...

Inside Nintendo - Every fan should watch

Just a quick note about the above documentary, it is quite biased against Nintendo, the reporter seems to be trying to go out of her way to make Nintendo seem like some evil corporation. It is however a good watch (and its free on google video ;)) and you learn some interesting facts about Nintendo.

Bill Gates

If the majority share holder of nintendo [Yamauchi] is going to sell his stock then i would like to talk to him.

I think it was way back in 2000/2001 when Microsoft made some sort of a bid for Nintendo. Nintendo said no, and Yamauchi and Iwata both said the day they leave the hardware business is the day they leave videogames altogether.

A little tid bit about Rare also. The Stamper Bros. (founders of Rare) sold all of their stock to Microsoft (about half) at the request of Nintendo to do so, and the remaining 50% of Rare's stock was sold to Microsoft by Nintendo for around $500 million.

But, the fact remains, this is happening in Nintendo in order to preserve the corporation itself. Nintendo knows their plan, and in the event that they somehow fall into an extremely bad financial situations (not likely), the company will sink and die with all its content in-tact. This is designed so that Nintendo does NOT become a 3rd party dev like Sega, as that is Iwata's/Miyamoto's biggest fear of a potential buyout from any other company.

Gamespot info on Nintendo shares

Nintendo action done to fend off any hostile takeover; Square Enix bid for Taito seen as spurring the move.

TOKYO--Nintendo today said it would acquire 2.2 million shares of its own stock. The figure represents 1.55 percent of the 130.08 million shares currently outstanding. The company will purchase the shares next week and will pay 11,650 yen ($106) a share, the same as today's closing price.

The purchase is expected to cost the company a total of 25.63 billion yen ($233.5 million), assuming the company can acquire all 2.2 million shares.

Nintendo has been cautious about corporate takeovers for about the past year, analysts say. Today's move is seen as another step toward heading off any uninvited takeover bids. The Nintendo announcement comes only four days after Square Enix announced a friendly $600 million takeover bid for Taito.

Nintendo currently owns 11.59 million shares (8.9 percent) of its publicly issued stock.

In short, Nintendo has made provisions time and time again to protect the company against a hostile takeover, and there is no way that they are going down any time soon, we all know that there are billions in the bank at Nintendo HQ and the video documentary above states that Yamauchi gave his entire pension scheme back into the company and hasnt claimed a dime.

A little tid bit about Rare also. The Stamper Bros. (founders of Rare) sold all of their stock to Microsoft (about half) at the request of Nintendo to do so, and the remaining 50% of Rare's stock was sold to Microsoft by Nintendo for around $500 million.

I believe you will find that's incorrect, Nintendo sold their Rare shares back to the Stamper brothers for $350m, Rare was then sold as a whole to M$. Purely a political manuevre so that Nintendo did not have to become involved in the sale to M$.

And I've never heard of Cisco, there's no way they'd have the money to buy Nintendo.

Cisco could afford it.

Random fact: Cisco handles on average more than 90% of internet traffic.

Nintendo are not a stupid over inflated company like microsoft.

1. they make profit on every console sold

2. they are making a fortune from there own games.

i think the only way another corporation in going ton take them over is if they give them there own continent.

I believe you will find that's incorrect, Nintendo sold their Rare shares back to the Stamper brothers for $350m, Rare was then sold as a whole to M$. Purely a political manuevre so that Nintendo did not have to become involved in the sale to M$.

I stand corrected, you may of noticed it was about the only part in my post where i didnt provide some sort of source, mainly because i posted that information from (incorrect) memory.

no one has seen the cisco systems advert. random like the ibm ones?

Those ad's suck...they dissapointed me with the pen...it would of been so much better if it did have that technology in it.

Seriously, can you imagine them owning Nintendo? I guess one thing could come out of it, better internet play.

Nintendo definitly wont sell out...

Sign in to follow this