NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sub-Parable

Retro Games For All!

I for one, don't have broadband. This isn't my personal decision. Unfortunately the incompetence of the Irish government and the criminally slow roll out of broadband here has decided for me.

So you might be asking yourself why should you care about some 56K Irish bogger from the middle of nowhere? I'll tell you why: Nintendo are targeting the casual market, those whom high tech gear is far from their day to day agenda. The majority of these people, if they even own a computer, will use a standard dial up connection. If these people purchase a Revolution

they'll miss out on the wifi multiplayer, undoubtedly you might add. However, do they have to miss out on the virtual console? In my opinion,no.

According to Satoru Iwata the Revolution will support SD memory cards (search for "SD" in the text) These days even the most "bargain basement" computers have suitable memory card readers. Therefore I suggest that Nintendo should allow their customers to buy retro games from the Stars Catalogue and by using the SD cards, transfer them to the Revolution. NES,SNES and even N64 games can easily be downloaded through a dial up connection (don't ask me how I know... :wink: ).

So thats my two cents. Does anyone want to comment?

My two cents is most people when given the choice between broadband and 56k nowadays will have broadband. As the adverts say you can get it for as cheap as £14.99 which nearly matches 56k. I know your case is different but its rare, minorities don't normally win im afraid.

Another strategy could be to let people go into retail stores and use special machines (maybe even functionality built into demo booths), to download games to an SD card. This would mean that no home net connection would be required. Just buy credit in-store (like Xbox live) and then use it to get the games that they want. This would be a very natural process, just like buying a game from a shop normally.

It sounds good but screams PIRACY! I dont think it will happen. Downloading from demo booth sounds good though.

It sounds good but screams PIRACY! I dont think it will happen. Downloading from demo booth sounds good though.

yeah. still wondering how nintendo will manage to prevent the retro games to be copied. i wouldn't be shocked if there even came up piracy groups with their only interest in the retro games.

or you could take you rev to a place that has broadband (possibly a friend/family members home) and use that connection.

I'm guessing that you will only be able to play your retro games on your system. I knoaw it's lame but it one of the only ways to stop the piracy I think.

But way to go Penic, I'm really liking the demo pod idea. Maybe you could even take copy of the demo from the pod and take that home, reducing the time you have to wait to get on the damn thing. Then you can trial games in your own free time, just like pc demos.

Retro games would be easy enough to download on dial up anyway. Snes games are a meg or so tops, and Mario 64 is what, 6 meg?

But most likely you will be able to download games to the SD card via the Revolution. Then you can borrow your SD card to a friend. Or maybe the game will only work on the machine downloading the game.

Hmmmmm

Maybe you can take your Revolution to a hotspot in town? Then download games and go home to play!

If the revolution supports downloading from a broadband internet connection, why it wouldn't from dial-up? I mean it just costs around 30-40€ to buy a wlan device. Then you should just setup a home wlan connection, share your dial up internet connection for that. It'll be slow but with the snes/nes and some N64 games it shouldn't be a problem

yeah. still wondering how nintendo will manage to prevent the retro games to be copied. i wouldn't be shocked if there even came up piracy groups with their only interest in the retro games.

More likely it'll just be an exploit that will allow it to run all roms, and not just those signed for use on the rev.

More likely it'll just be an exploit that will allow it to run all roms, and not just those signed for use on the rev.

I hope so, Nintendo can think again if they think I'll be paying for Retro games which I already own.

Broadband is really common nowadays so, sorry to say, but the chances you'll get your retro games on the Rev are pretty slim.

Although I guess you could have a PC with a WiFi card pass through the data downloaded from a 56k internet connection. Just don't try playing online games :wink:

I think a download both is a great idea,out your SD Card in the machine then money and select your game(s)

A good way to prevent piracy would be to only allow downloads to the built in memory card. Hmmmmmm.
That doesn't stop the piracy. A hacker should just capture the packets when they're on their way to the console. Of course it would be encrypted somehow, but if a human can encrypt something then another can decrypt it.

I think that Nintendo will do whatever they can to prevent it, but then again you can find the games pretty easily alreyde from the internet.

And a funny fact: I don't think that getting gamecube disc images would be as easy as it's nowadays, if there wasn't a certain online RPG game...

Sign in to follow this