NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Disney+

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

Out of interest, are there foreign language options on the Disney films? Tend to find it useful to watch things I know in a different language. 

I've had a quick look through a couple of films to try to get a feel for it, but it seems to vary from film to film. The Disney Classics seem to consistently have a greater range of languages, though.

Are you looking for foreign language audio or subtitles? Is there any particular set of films films you'd want to check out, or a particular language you want to watch them in? I don't mind having a quick flick through some of them in the app for you, as it doesn't seem to be documented much elsewhere at the moment! :)

• Like 1

I'm trying to learn Spanish and Italian at the moment. The DVDs tended to have Spanish, but that was before I was learning and I gave them all to my niece as I was supposed to not be here now...

Anyway, it would probably be the Disney animated resurgence films from the 90s, Lilo and Stitch and most of the newer ones. 

Audio or subtitles (or both). 

I'll probably end up getting it anyway later on and this isn't make it break, just curious. One thing I like about Netflix originals is the multi-language options. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I'm trying to learn Spanish and Italian at the moment. The DVDs tended to have Spanish, but that was before I was learning and I gave them all to my niece as I was supposed to not be here now...

Anyway, it would probably be the Disney animated resurgence films from the 90s, Lilo and Stitch and most of the newer ones. 

Audio or subtitles (or both). 

I'll probably end up getting it anyway later on and this isn't make it break, just curious. One thing I like about Netflix originals is the multi-language options. 

Sorry for the late response, got caught up in some late night gaming! 

I've checked a good chunk of the Disney animated films from the 90's onwards, and the vast majority have Spanish or Italian in either audio or subtitles, with quite a lot of them actually having both languages in both audio and subtitles. Seems to be based on the most recent DVD/Blu-Ray releases of each film, at a guess?

• Like 1

All i've done over the past couple of days is watch early seasons of The Simpsons and re-watch Boy Meets World.

• Like 2

Nearly half way through season 3 of Rebels and it's SO GOOD. I love the characters, Zeb needs his own show. The episode with him and Callus was outstanding.

It's crazy how much better it is to Resistance, I enjoyed that show at the time but seeing Rebels now it's night and day.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Nearly half way through season 3 of Rebels and it's SO GOOD. I love the characters, Zeb needs his own show. The episode with him and Callus was outstanding.

It's crazy how much better it is to Resistance, I enjoyed that show at the time but seeing Rebels now it's night and day.

Is this the first time you're watching it? I bought the Blu Rays ages ago but only ever got around to watching the first season but I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I stopped watching it because I figured I should watch the Clone Wars series first but I never got around to watching more than a few episodes of that. Once I finish Deep Space Nine I may start the Clone Wars and then move on to Rebels.

Does it matter what order you watch the Star Wars animated series in?

20 minutes ago, bob said:

Not sure. The reason I stopped watching Rebels was due to a certain character showing up at the end of the first season. I figured it would be best to see what that character got up to in Clone Wars before moving on.

@Julius would be the best man to ask.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Once I finish Deep Space Nine I may start the Clone Wars and then move on to Rebels.

2f1179a2cc04545b08c111454cff1376.gif

It's well worth a watch! This show is what got me through the Great Star Wars Drought of my childhood, and I genuinely think it's one of the best animated shows out there. The music by Kevin Kiner is superb and catches that John Williams magic; the story adds a lot of what was missing in the prequels, and in my opinion massively improves the story of those films; and it's probably some of George Lucas's (and Dave Filoni's) best work. You also get to see a new character go from annoying and one note, someone kind of loathed by the Star Wars community at the start, to a fully fleshed out and realised character, whom the fans ended up loving. 

Going to echo what I suggested before for Ronnie: if you do end up watching it, I'd recommend checking it out in chronological order instead of order of release. This is because the first few seasons jumped around a lot in the timeline, which could get a bit confusing, but that mostly levels out towards the end of the show; the strength of this show is that while you'll no doubt become familiar with a "core" cast, it frequently jumps around and you get to see the Clone Wars from many different perspectives. The film is also a must, regardless of perceived quality as opposed to the rest of the series (loved it as a kid, but it hasn't aged amazingly), because it introduces Ashoka (the film is also on Disney+). 

I watched the show the first time around growing up in release order, as, well, as I was just watching it as it released, and I certainly got confused by it at times. My two rewatches since have been in chronological order, which I feel is leaps and bounds a better experience, because the growing pains of the show are much more apparent when watched in release order; chronological order jumps around enough that I think those growing pains are successfully negated. I printed off a tick sheet of the order, which makes it much easier to keep a track of, so I'd recommend doing that if you do watch the show in chronological order. 

That's actually one of my biggest complaints with Disney+ right now: that it doesn't offer for you to watch the show in chronological order, because it's the recommended way to watch, but keeping track of it yourself can definitely become a bit of a pain. 

But anyway, yeah, I can't recommend this show enough. It's one of those that I'm happy to scream from the rooftops for. It's George Lucas pushing the envelope once more, this time with CG animation, and the training of Dave Filoni, arguably one of the most important names over at Lucasfilm right now, from a padawan to a Jedi Knight. This is that Saturday morning show

37 minutes ago, bob said:

I think it depends on what you want to get out of the shows.

Do you just want a good time watching some good animated Star Wars stuff, and not mind missing out on callbacks and references to other shows, and returning characters from those shows? If so, just watch it in whatever order, I don't think it really matters too much if you're just looking for a fun time. 

But if you do want to understand those callbacks and references, and especially understand the importance of some returning characters, and have a big ol' smile on your face when they do come back, I'd certainly recommend watching The Clone Wars > Rebels [> Resistance]. I haven't watched Resistance, so can't comment on the quality, but it is set far off enough from the other shows and, as far as I know, has very few (if any) callbacks to the others, hence the square brackets. 

Both The Clone Wars and Rebels also feed into The Mandalorian, and outside of what is now Legends material, you'll get to see exactly why Mandalorians are so beloved by fans, a lot of their more recent history, and there are of course some nods and callbacks there to the other shows too. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Julius said:

2f1179a2cc04545b08c111454cff1376.gif

It's well worth a watch! This show is what got me through the Great Star Wars Drought of my childhood, and I genuinely think it's one of the best animated shows out there. The music by Kevin Kiner is superb and catches that John Williams magic; the story adds a lot of what was missing in the prequels, and in my opinion massively improves the story of those films; and it's probably some of George Lucas's (and Dave Filoni's) best work. You also get to see a new character go from annoying and one note, someone kind of loathed by the Star Wars community at the start, to a fully fleshed out and realised character, whom the fans ended up loving. 

Going to echo what I suggested before for Ronnie: if you do end up watching it, I'd recommend checking it out in chronological order instead of order of release. This is because the first few seasons jumped around a lot in the timeline, which could get a bit confusing, but that mostly levels out towards the end of the show; the strength of this show is that while you'll no doubt become familiar with a "core" cast, it frequently jumps around and you get to see the Clone Wars from many different perspectives. The film is also a must, regardless of perceived quality as opposed to the rest of the series (loved it as a kid, but it hasn't aged amazingly), because it introduces Ashoka (the film is also on Disney+). 

I bought them on Blu Ray (I believe I mentioned it in the SW thread) when I was originally watching Rebels. Sadly, I didn't really like the way the show was set out. They seemed like separate stories rather than having an overall narrative and that didn't really pull me in. It's weird because the original Clone Wars cartoon was something I really loved and that was also short stories but for some reason the CGI series didn't grab me.

I did see the movie but I can't really remember much about it. I actually went to the cinema to watch it when it first came out.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I bought them on Blu Ray (I believe I mentioned it in the SW thread) when I was originally watching Rebels. Sadly, I didn't really like the way the show was set out. They seemed like separate stories rather than having an overall narrative and that didn't really pull me in. It's weird because the original Clone Wars cartoon was something I really loved and that was also short stories but for some reason the CGI series didn't grab me.

I did see the movie but I can't really remember much about it. I actually went to the cinema to watch it when it first came out.

Yeah, I can see that being the case.

With the way the show is set out, it strikes me more as an anthology of stories during the Clone Wars in the GFFA when compared to Rebels, which is very much "just" a core narrative, and while there is certainly a core narrative there in TCW with Anakin, Ashoka, and Rex, a big strength of this show is the side characters, whether they be a pirate king, a group of clone cadets, or a Jedi on the front lines.

Everything is just given more room to breathe, which I think is important given the development of certain characters in this era, but I could see that being detrimental in a way if that style of storytelling just isn't for you. I want to say give it a chance, because once the show picks up it really picks up (I think you'd love it), and it normally starts to click a bit more a season or two in, but it's hard to not recognise that a show like this is definitely a big time investment, especially if you're not loving it from the offset. 

Loved the Tartakovsky animated series, I think it's a great ride for how short it is, and love that animation style too :peace:

It's difficult, but if you're thinking about giving The Clone Wars a shot, I'd say give it a go, maybe this time in chronological order (the link above has links to the episodes in Disney+), because at least there's a through line of sorts in that sense. I was thinking about recommending a condensed episode order, but honestly, I've just looked through a bunch of recommended condensed episode orders, and a lot of them somehow end up throwing out some of the better arcs in the show! It definitely takes a little while for the anthology-style storytelling to click, but when it does, I think you'll enjoy it a lot more :smile:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Is this the first time you're watching it? I bought the Blu Rays ages ago but only ever got around to watching the first season but I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I stopped watching it because I figured I should watch the Clone Wars series first but I never got around to watching more than a few episodes of that. Once I finish Deep Space Nine I may start the Clone Wars and then move on to Rebels.

First time watching Rebels yes, I was the same as you, questioning whether I should go back and watch Clone Wars, one season in, but I decided to press on. I'm over half way through season 3 and I wouldn't say I feel like I'm missing that much backstory, but maybe that will change.

On 14/04/2020 at 10:03 AM, Happenstance said:

Was just reading about this...and there are like a hundred other ways to censor this which would be a) much easier and b) not damage the film. Also can't help but feel that it entirely goes against the point that it's trying to make by censoring?

Haven't watched Splash before, but the actress was comfortable enough to agree to showing whatever is censored here, and now the director's vision/the actress's "sacrifice" (if you could call it that; I doubt that it would've been such a massive deal on set) have kind of been stepped all over. I think it's made even stranger by the fact that there's some degree of male nudity in some other films on the service, but I guess that's okay because it's comedic? 

To be honest though, I think the bigger issue here is less what they've censored and the fact that there have apparently been tweaks to quite a lot of stuff on Disney+ (though seemingly not as directly noticeable as this!). Seems to be becoming more and more frequent across the board, and some of the decisions definitely show an outright bias towards some of their bigger films (i.e. profanity in a tentpole release, not allowed in a documentary?) ::shrug:

Anyway, I watched The Emperor's New Groove for the first time in over a decade last night with my family. Yeah, that film still holds up in an awesome way :D

EnragedSpanishBunting-size_restricted.gi

Edited by Julius

Just got caught up on the first eight episodes of Season 7 of The Clone Wars.

I already knew what happened in the Bad Batch arc (the first four episodes) having watched the story reel during Celebration 2015 (fully voiced, but nowhere near the finished product and with rigs and rough animation models to boot), and it was great to finally see it fully realised. It looked absolutely great, and you can tell that they've modernised the show's look with minor tweaks which make animations seem much smoother and more realistic. The following four episodes from the Ahsoka's Walkabout arc were great too, and it was so great to finally see that story realised too. The music and story were excellent in both of these arcs. 

So, starting this Friday is the final arc of The Clone Wars, the thing I've waited to see for over half a decade: the Siege of Mandalore. And it seems likely that we're going to get to see The Night of a Thousand Tears play out, and inevitably we'll also see how Order 66 plays out in this corner of the galaxy. 

I can't wait! :bouncy:

A documentary series that's as long as the series itself?! Looks good!

I read about the interesting way they did CGI backgrounds in The Mandolorian - fully 3D environments that they projected onto screens around the actors, so it would be interesting to see them delve into that.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yes please!

That's awesome! Always love the BTS stuff, feel like the sequels were a bit lacking in that regard to this point (especially when compared to just how much George put out for the prequels), so this is great to see. 

Lining up to be a big May 4th for Star Wars: the last episode of The Clone Wars S7 has been bumped up from the 8th to a worldwide premiere on that date too. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Rise of Skywalker added on that day also. 

I'm going to be greedy and hope for some info on the next animated series around that time too :D

These films are going to be re-released so many times in so many different packages I suspect we'll see plenty more BTS stuff over the next decade or so.

2 hours ago, Julius said:

I'm going to be greedy and hope for some info on the next animated series around that time too

A few months back when I heard rumours about it being a sequel to Rebels I was like meh, but having actually watched the show and being 15 eps from the end... DO IT DO IT DO IT. I'd love for it to be set just after ROTJ and deal with the fall of the Empire, finishing with the Battle of Jakku. Though I suppose that's only a 1 year time frame so might not work.

On 14/04/2020 at 11:40 AM, Julius said:

Anyway, I watch The Emperor's New Groove for the first time in over a decade last night with my family. Yeah, that film still holds up in an awesome way :D

EnragedSpanishBunting-size_restricted.gi

The Emperor's New Groove is my favourite Disney movie.

SelfassuredIncompatibleCassowary-size_re

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

These films are going to be re-released so many times in so many different packages I suspect we'll see plenty more BTS stuff over the next decade or so.

I hope so, but I'm not too sure. Even behind Mickey's iron curtain, it seems like the production on both The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker was something of a mess, and Disney have done an interesting job of covering it up so far, but I think the biggest hint of the potential mess, at least with TFA, is strongly alluded to with the "Making of" books (which I adore) by Rinzler being cancelled after he had already been on the set, production was virtually completed and pre-orders had been up for months. TLJ is the only one of the sequels to have a smooth production (and unsurprisingly is the only one with what I would remotely identify as a BTS documentary). 

There's definitely a bigger story there about what happened with the production of these films, but it could be decades before we really hear about the truth behind them. 

Regardless, I do think we'll get more BTS stuff as you mentioned, just nothing close to what we'd seen before with the other films. 

A few months back when I heard rumours about it being a sequel to Rebels I was like meh, but having actually watched the show and being 15 eps from the end... DO IT DO IT DO IT. I'd love for it to be set just after ROTJ and deal with the fall of the Empire, finishing with the Battle of Jakku. Though I suppose that's only a 1 year time frame so might not work.

I think it'll be a sequel in a similar way that I would consider Rebels a sequel to The Clone Wars, but beyond that, my lips are sealed. I'm sure we'll discuss this more once you've finished Rebels @Ronnie :p

Oh and @Ike :laughing:

tumblr_mpzru0QzFk1saze6xo1_500.gif

Edited by Julius

I can completely believe The Rise of Skywalker was a mess of a production. As much as I enjoyed the film it was pretty obviously rushed and cobbled together in editing. I didn't realise Force Awakens was under so much trouble production wise, have to admit my admiration of Abrams and Bad Robot is going downhill. He's obviously a nice guy with good ideas and he's done some great things for Star Wars but also some not great things. I wonder if the lack of behind the scenes stuff and no deleted scenes for the IX bluray is just him being secretive and not wanting to give stuff away. I think I read that versus Rian Johsnon who's apparently very happy to celebrate the medium and release a ton of deleted scenes. I loved his documentary on TLJ. I need to re-watch the TFA one and see the TROS one for the first time. Can't remember much of the former. 

1 hour ago, Julius said:

I'm sure we'll discuss this more once you've finished Rebels @Ronnie :p

How intriguing! :p I'm limiting myself to 1 episode a night now, don't want to rush through it. Episode 2 of season 4 tonight. Poor Sabine :cry: 

EDIT: Never mind :hehe:

Edited by Ronnie

Sign in to follow this