NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Disney+

Now that it's finally launched in the UK, as well as Ireland, Spain, Germany, Italy and Switzerland, figured it's worth having its own thread for!

Sooooooo...let's start the rant on how hard they dropped the ball by only having the first two episodes of The Mandalorian up at launch in the UK, with episodes to be added every Friday, despite the fact that the show finished airing back at the end of December! Same with The Clone Wars. Strange move that we're not at parity. 

Who's planning on picking it up? 

Edited by Julius

Disney can stick this service where the sun doesn’t shine. Allowing Liu Yi Fei to get away with what she said about the freedoms of Hong Kong citizens, is tantamount to endorsing that viewpoint. Fucking capitalist scummery at the highest level.

21 minutes ago, Julius said:

Sooooooo...let's start the rant on how hard they dropped the ball by only having the first two episodes of The Mandalorian up at launch in the UK, with episodes to be added every Friday, despite the fact that the show finished airing back at the end of December! Same with The Clone Wars, strange move that we're not at parity. 

Yeah, the scheduling is ridiculous. I've heard Sky still have rights to certain films as well so that means we won't be getting things as fast as other countries.

I'm planning on picking it up but I hate how things like this are set up. I really dislike putting details in and i'm hoping you can buy prepaid cards for subscriptions like in the US. Looking at the sign up options though it doesn't seem that will be an option over here. :( 

Scheduling of the Mandalorian makes sense to me, it was great having one episode a week. It made for more of a conversation after each one rather than binging where the chat lasts about a week or so then everyone forgets it. I know the series is already out elsewhere but I imagine the vast majority of people won't know what happens in it. Anyway, those watching Mando for the first time, enjoy!

I bought years worth as my wife said there were a few things she might want to watch on there, and the £50 deal seemed pretty good.

Only problem is that my tv doesn't seem to support the app, which means we'll have to faff about casting it from the app on our phones, which is a massive first world problem.

1 minute ago, bob said:

I bought years worth as my wife said there were a few things she might want to watch on there, and the £50 deal seemed pretty good.

Only problem is that my tv doesn't seem to support the app, which means we'll have to faff about casting it from the app on our phones, which is a massive first world problem.

Use your PS4. The app is on there.

Use your PS4. The app is on there.
Yeah, that's another way around it. I'm hoping that Google Assistant adds support at some point so i can just launch it verbally and not even have to pick up a controller.

10 minutes ago, Animal said:

Is there no way to buy it monthly? I really want it! 

Yeah, the monthly subscription is £5.99/month! :)

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Tried it out last night. Watched Coco, and it worked flawlessly. HD picture with no stuttering, buffering or anything.

Film was ok.

33 minutes ago, Julius said:

Yeah, the monthly subscription is £5.99/month! :)

That's actually a really good price! 

20 minutes ago, bob said:

Tried it out last night. Watched Coco, and it worked flawlessly. HD picture with no stuttering, buffering or anything.

Film was ok.

Coco is a poor mans The Book of Life. That's a much better movie and well worth checking out.

I got my account set up yesterday. I gave my mate the money for it and he paid for it using his credit card rather than me having to put my details in. He shares his Netflix account with me so I figured I'd pay for this and share with him. Seems only fair.

I can't wait to start watching Gargoyles. I loved that show as a youngster. So ahead of its time and not your usual kind of Disney cartoon. 

How the hell do they not have every season of the Spiderman Cartoon available from the get go? only season one? come on!  I want to see that cool episode where Cap fights Red Skull into that temporal vortex

1 hour ago, bob said:

HD picture?? I was about to jump in but I'm not going to if its such low resolution :/

:D

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Just rewatched the first two episodes up on Disney+ with my family, who haven't seen it before. They really dug it, and it was nice for me to finally see it on the big screen (used Disney+ on my phone when it launched).

The streaming quality was great, not a single hitch, so thumbs up so far :D definitely looks to be one of those cases where I feel like Disney+ gets in the way of me collecting their films/series physically outside of Star Wars and maybe Marvel Studios, so overall, they're going to be making less money from me for a much greater collection - of course, assuming that nothing gets pulled moving forwards. 

Might get stuck into an animated film tomorrow to see how it fares with something a little longer. Started adding quite a few films and series to my watchlist, could see me being subscribed for a couple of months now. 

On 24/03/2020 at 10:03 AM, Julius said:

Same with The Clone Wars. Strange move that we're not at parity. 

Just an update on this: turns out The Clone Wars is getting two episodes per week every Friday until we're caught up with the US, who are currently getting one episode per week. So, we'll be caught up in two weeks, after Episode 8...with just two episodes left of the season.

What a bizarre move. 

Thousands of hours of premium entertainment at her fingertips, and the first thing my wife fires up is Disney Weddings...

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Big Disney fan so I was always going to get this. Im not fussed about Star Wars so that’s one section I’ll miss, but I’ll be using the Pixar section a lot plus all the Pixar shorts and Disney films. 

I'm watching Star Wars Rebels at the moment for the first time, about half way through season 2. It's actually fantastic! Way better than I was expecting. I'd only seen Resistance and enjoyed it but Rebels is so much better, the difference in quality is huge. At first the art style really put me off but I've learned to really appreciate it + the characters are great fun, love them all (except Chopper, I don't really know what they were thinking with him). But yeah, highly recommended. The last couple of episodes midway through season 2 were outstanding.

Edited by Ronnie

@Ronnie yeah, season 2 is definitely where the show starts finding its footing. Art style definitely takes a little getting used to, but I love how it so closely echoes McQuarrie's original concept art (down to the strangely thin lightsabers). And trust me when I say the music and story only gets better from here. 

Out of curiosity, have you already checked out The Clone Wars? 

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

@Ronnie yeah, season 2 is definitely where the show starts finding its footing. Art style definitely takes a little getting used to, but I love how it so closely echoes McQuarrie's original concept art (down to the strangely thin lightsabers). And trust me when I say the music and story only gets better from here. 

Out of curiosity, have you already checked out The Clone Wars? 

The music in the episode where Zeb finds his homeworld was crazy good. That was one of my favourite episodes so far, so good. Likewise the B-Wing, Mandalorian and Star Destroyer interdictor ones were top notch this season too. 

I noticed the A-Wings with the at-an-angle engine exhausts were like McQuarrie's original artwork for them but I hadn't connected the dots re the lightsabers, you're right! 

I've not seen any of The Clone Wars, no. To be honest the prequels really soured me on that whole era, so I've never been interested in checking it out. Anything set around 4-9 though, absolutely.

31 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I've not seen any of The Clone Wars, no. To be honest the prequels really soured me on that whole era, so I've never been interested in checking it out. Anything set around 4-9 though, absolutely.

Honestly, once you've finished Rebels, I can't recommend checking out The Clone Wars enough. 

I have my problems with the prequels too, but I think the general ideas that George was going for with them with Anakin's downfall, the Jedi losing their way, etc., are all built upon very strongly with the show. Even the show runner, Dave Filoni, wasn't the greatest fan of the prequels, but George Lucas shared with him what he was going for with those films and what the key messages and story were, and that shines through here.

It just gives the characters so much more room to breathe, the music is of course fantastic (handled by Kevin Kiner, who composed Rebels), and you get to see another side to the clones which the film's don't touch upon. The show undoubtedly has some of my favourite arcs/storytelling set in the GFFA, and is almost essential viewing for Star Wars fans. It also explores the Force in ways that I expected the sequels to. Season 7 looks like it will stretch through to the end of III (and perhaps a little beyond), so I think the show can be fully appreciated without having to rewatch the films.

Love or hate for the prequels aside, the tie-ins to Rebels, The Mandalorian, and what will likely be Lucasfilm's next tentpole animated series and the way that the show is handled make me think you'd really like it, @Ronnie. I have a feeling that certain moments in Rebels might not even hit as hard as they could without having seen The Clone Wars. If you do ever get around to watching it, I recommend looking up the chronological order and watching in that order as opposed to release order, because the timeline when watched in release order is a bit of a mess for the first couple of seasons. 

That is all to say, I don't want you missing out! :peace:

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

Honestly, once you've finished Rebels, I can't recommend checking out The Clone Wars enough. 

I have my problems with the prequels too, but I think the general ideas that George was going for with them with Anakin's downfall, the Jedi losing their way, etc., are all built upon very strongly with the show. Even the show runner, Dave Filoni, wasn't the greatest fan of the prequels, but George Lucas shared with him what he was going for with those films and what the key messages and story were, and that shines through here.

It just gives the characters so much more room to breathe, the music is of course fantastic (handled by Kevin Kiner, who composed Rebels), and you get to see another side to the clones which the film's don't touch upon. The show undoubtedly has some of my favourite arcs/storytelling set in the GFFA, and is almost essential viewing for Star Wars fans. It also explores the Force in ways that I expected the sequels to. Season 7 looks like it will stretch through to the end of III (and perhaps a little beyond), so I think the show can be fully appreciated without having to rewatch the films.

Love or hate for the prequels aside, the tie-ins to Rebels, The Mandalorian, and what will likely be Lucasfilm's next tentpole animated series and the way that the show is handled make me think you'd really like it, @Ronnie. I have a feeling that certain moments in Rebels might not even hit as hard as they could without having seen The Clone Wars. If you do ever get around to watching it, I recommend looking up the chronological order and watching in that order as opposed to release order, because the timeline when watched in release order is a bit of a mess for the first couple of seasons. 

That is all to say, I don't want you missing out! :peace:

You're definitely selling me on it a lot and I'm very pleased and totally appreciate that people seem to love it :) The quality isn't in question for me, it's just the whole world of the prequels and especially the characters puts me right off, but fair enough I don't lose much in giving it a try once I'm done with Rebels. I'm sure there's plenty of crossover, Rex and Ahsoka turning up haven't really hit as well as probably should have for me. Actually from a pov of 99% ignorance, I don't really see what people seem to like about Ahsoka, she seems a bit dull and generic from what little I've seen so far.

Thanks for the tip about watching it in chronological order though, if i I do get round to watching it I'd have never known about that.

Out of interest, are there foreign language options on the Disney films? Tend to find it useful to watch things I know in a different language. 

Sign in to follow this