NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Turnip Prices Thread - Playing The Market In New Horizons

Not sure why people were using it in the first place. I'd rather sell my turnips to my local Nook on a loss than queuing for an hour and pay some fee to be allowed to sell my turnips on some random island.

26 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Honestly, the whole thing is disgusting. I see people are also requesting real cash paid into their paypal accounts before they allow entry to their island. It's an absolute joke. The series has always been about making friends and helping each other out but people have started to twist it into what we are seeing here. Like you, I just need 1 more week to get the milestone and then I can relax on trying to play the turnip market.

Yeah I saw the PayPal thing earlier, absolute madness.

My rules are only go if they ask for tips, then I drop a bag of 99k or two of those if a big haul.

I quite enjoy seeing new islands, getting to meet new people and making friends, if only for a few seconds of reactions! My girlfriend was at one earlier and the island owner was waiting Infront of nook stop with an axe, until she saw 99k upfront, some guy only came with 50 😂🙈

12 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Not sure why people were using it in the first place. I'd rather sell my turnips to my local Nook on a loss than queuing for an hour and pay some fee to be allowed to sell my turnips on some random island.

Buy and sell local produce! 

Agree with the sentiments in this thread. F the guys charging an entry fee, bells or real money. Absolute scumbags. I haven't used any of those "services" and don't plan on doing so, think we have a big enough community here. I think I'm going to have one more week of selling turnips abroad (to pay off upstairs) and then I'm going to chill on this game. I'm in no rush to do anything as I want to drag it out over time. I managed a whopping 8 points in the fishing tourney :laughing:  At that rate I'll be getting the gold trophy around the launch of Xbox Series ZX (81). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

A larger pool of players means you're more likely to get higher prices. You don't actually have to do anything while queuing. I just had my work laptop next to me whilst I was playing games. It then pings when it's your turn to enter the island. It's actually pretty simple. However, apparently some people have created scripts making it so they can jump straight into a queue that is from an island buying at a high price. Once again, people ruining what was a decent way to go about things.

Yeah still man.. I mean, yeah ok, I have a larger pool of potential islands to visit since I'm frequenting 2 forums, but I'm no rush to get that much money. You don't need that much money, and you don't needit that quickly. It's already so easy to get money in this game. A dedicated website where people can queue for hours just so they can make another 10000000 bells they don't need? That's some fomo shit right there, and against the spirit of the game.

I have 4000000 bells on my bank, and still need 2 upgrades for my house, which I can obviously already get. Internet is making this too easy. Back in the old days, it was actuallly exciting to see if you could sell your turnips for a high price.

In my opinion, they should change the system for the next game, make it more comparable to the actual stock market. A global price that changes each hour, dependent on actual supply and demand.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's too easy get rich with the turnip market. It will seriously reduce the lifespan for the game for a lot of players. Bridges and house expansions costs a lot but it's perfectly possible to do so just by playing daily even for less than an hour, it will just take months instead of weeks, more in line in the spirit of the game in my opinion. 

But the option is there so it's hard to say no

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah still man.. I mean, yeah ok, I have a larger pool of potential islands to visit since I'm frequenting 2 forums, but I'm no rush to get that much money. You don't need that much money, and you don't needit that quickly. It's already so easy to get money in this game. A dedicated website where people can queue for hours just so they can make another 10000000 bells they don't need? That's some fomo shit right there, and against the spirit of the game.

I have 4000000 bells on my bank, and still need 2 upgrades for my house, which I can obviously already get. Internet is making this too easy. Back in the old days, it was actuallly exciting to see if you could sell your turnips for a high price.

In my opinion, they should change the system for the next game, make it more comparable to the actual stock market. A global price that changes each hour, dependent on actual supply and demand.

Even before the turnip market was open I was swimming in bells thanks to me liking to grind and the nice little bug area I had set up. I'd pretty much paid off my house and bought a bunch of bridges already. Sadly that is no longer an option as one of the highest selling bugs at the time is now out of season. Plus, I swear they've reduced the spawn rates on bugs with the latest patch. I'm finding it a lot harder to come across them now. Maybe my grinding sessions has meant that i've just hunted them to the brink of extinction. :p 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Even before the turnip market was open I was swimming in bells thanks to me liking to grind and the nice little bug area I had set up. I'd pretty much paid off my house and bought a bunch of bridges already. Sadly that is no longer an option as one of the highest selling bugs at the time is now out of season. Plus, I swear they've reduced the spawn rates on bugs with the latest patch. I'm finding it a lot harder to come across them now. Maybe my grinding sessions has meant that i've just hunted them to the brink of extinction. :p 

Exactly. So why make use of, and then complain, about the turnip exchange?

13 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Exactly. So why make use of, and then complain, about the turnip exchange?

So we aren't allowed to complain about people exploiting others for real money or forcing players to pay a fee? I have zero issues with the Turnip Exchange as it was when the game first started using it. My problem isn't hooking up with random players, it's with random players taking others for a ride. When it does work it's a great thing, with players opening up their gates and allowing everyone to visit their islands. I'd argue that is very much what the game is about. Helping people. It's the other side of things that I take issue with.

This isn't exactly a new thing either. In the old games people done crazy things to manipulate their prices, track the stats to see what kind of price they are in for in the coming week and generally just joined communities in order to get the best out of their turnips. People on here have been checking their price outcome and BowserBasher used a friend who was time travelling to break the market. Playing the turnip game is a HUGE part of AC for some players. Me? As I said earlier, one more week of it and then I can leave it be and just dip in now and then. I was in it for the milestone and once that is done I can concentrate on another one.

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So we aren't allowed to complain about people exploiting others for real money or forcing players to pay a fee?

In my opinion, no. Supply and demand.

You don't NEED the money, yet you want it. THEY don't NEED the money, yet they're asking for it. They're free to ask for it, and it's totally up to you if you want to give it to them.

The solution is simple. Don't give it to them.

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

In my opinion, no. Supply and demand.

You don't NEED the money, yet you want it. THEY don't NEED the money, yet they're asking for it. They're free to ask for it, and it's totally up to you if you want to give it to them.

The solution is simple. Don't give it to them.

That it is and as I said earlier in the week, I always tip those islands that open up for free. It's common courtesy. Those who are demand real cash, rare items or ludicrous amounts of bells don't get the time of day from me or others on here from the looks of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which is in my opinion the solution to everything.. Vote with your wallet. But too few people actually do that it seems. But if you do, then there's no need to complain. Just go somewhere else, you have plenty of options.

Just now, Sméagol said:

Which is in my opinion the solution to everything.. Vote with your wallet. But too few people actually do that it seems. But if you do, then there's no need to complain. Just go somewhere else, you have plenty of options.

Hard disagree for me. Just because it doesn't effect me and I don't give into such practices doesn't mean to say that I won't complain about the problem. It's the same as gambling mechanics/loot boxes etc. in games these days. It's something that I can easily ignore but I won't be silent when the matter is brought up, especially when those who are susceptible by such practices are being exploited. Same kind of thing here. 

Guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :peace:

• Like 2

I haven't made use of turnips at all yet, but taking advantage of the Stalk Market seems like an interesting conversation.

On the one hand, of course: play how you want to play. If you're going to play AC for a month and then put it down, if having a crazy amount of bells helps you get what you want out of the game, I say go for it. On the other hand, if you're going to play daily anyways and don't mind waiting to get to that position, well, by all means do that instead. 

Seems like the conversation changed from that though, so...

12 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah, I get this mindset, and I appreciate it. I follow it when it comes to certain clothes shops and other brands being well-documented using unethical means slave labour, sweatshops, etc., to produce their goods (not saying that all of the clothes that I own are without this; unfortunately, it's pretty likely that some are).

That being said, it's something that I take issue with, and because of that it's something that I would by all means complain about. I used an extreme example, but my point is: even if you vote with your wallet, I think it's important to voice concern and complain when something unethical is taking place. The scale and industry doesn't matter in the slightest. 

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hard disagree for me. Just because it doesn't effect me and I don't give into such practices doesn't mean to say that I won't complain about the problem. It's the same as gambling mechanics/loot boxes etc. in games these days. It's something that I can easily ignore but I won't be silent when the matter is brought up, especially when those who are susceptible by such practices are being exploited. Same kind of thing here. 

Yeah, microtransactions and the like are probably a much better example to use in this situation, and it's another case where I know plenty of us here take issue with it and do vote with our wallets when we feel the need to do so. Like you H-o-T, it's something that I don't pay mind to in my own bubble when playing games, simply because I never engage with them, but when something comes up which is unfair or unethical by my own standards (such as what happened with Battlefront II at launch), I'm definitely going to speak up. 

I think the issue with some of the Stalk Market things that are taking place is that it is immorally taking advantage of the system that Nintendo put in place. Help each other, get together on forums and such to do so, heck time travel if you feel like it'll help you get what you want out of the game - but I don't think that you should look to take advantage of others, whether that be for real life currency, a disproportionate amount of bells, or rare in-game items. I think it shows a level of immaturity and disrespect to fellow players if those are the standards which are being endorsed (to be clear, not accusing anyone here of that, but I mean by those playing the system in such a way). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The thing is.. Complaining doesn't solve anything. Voting with your wallet actually does.

5 hours ago, Sméagol said:

The thing is.. Complaining doesn't solve anything. Voting with your wallet actually does.

And i think we are all generally voting with our wallets and not visiting islands that are charging for access. 

But this is a discussion forum. This is a thread about the stalk market. I think it's fair to discuss an unsavoury part of the market here. It's an interesting discussion. 

The turnip exchange website is a great tool, especially if you're playing and don't have many friends on it. It can be used nicely - last week when i had a price of 285 bells in my shop, I stuck my island on there to let people visit while I was working. Some people left a tip, some people didn't. It's fine, i did it to help others out and it took little effort on my part. It's almost exactly like coming onto a forum to find out who has got a good price. I think it's fair to then discuss how people are using it - if someone came on this thread and was asking you to PayPal them for access to their island it wouldn't go down well. 

Yes, vote with your wallet, of course, but why not discuss too?! 

Edited by Mr-Paul
  • Like 2

Yup.  It’s quickly turning into a Chinese WoW Gold Farming situation with places like the Turnip Exchange.

I’m just surprised at the speed at which it started to happen really! Nintendo will probably start cracking down on it very soon and will probably start sending cease and desist orders to Turnip Exchange if they don’t clamp down on these jokers demanding real-life currency.

Personally? I’m probably never going to end up using it myself.  It’s just too much of a time investment, not to mention too impersonal.  If you’re not enjoying your time playing with turnips and seeing everyone else’s islands & chatting with them? What’s the point really?

Edited by Dcubed

I am completely against people charging real life money, but I have no problem with those asking for entry fees of in game items. Last week I went to an island that was asking for 300k, considering I was going there to sell my turnips for (roughly) 2.5 million I had no issue with this. 

If I don’t think the turnip price is worth what the island owner is asking then I won’t go, but I’ve never seen anyone asking for more than 300k or a couple of gold nuggets/nook mikes tickets (not saying it doesn’t happen though). 

Paying real money to easily make fake money?

See, this is why almost all mobile games are utter crap.

Huh? We're not talking about Pocket Camp?

Not about turnips, but I was thinking it's a good idea to announce and open the gates if Celeste is visiting. I believe every player gets an DIY related to stardusts.

Edited by Tales
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tales said:

Sold one batch at turnip exchange for 580 something. I have one batch more I can sell here for better than 500 :p

Some of the entry fees on that site is kinda dumb. One requires 3x99k before selling. Not only can you not arrive with a full inventory of turnips(two slots has to be reserved for money bags) but he can boot you of the island after you dumped the money and before you sell.

After this week, I need one more week to reach the miles milestone of 10mil in turnips,  but I will still buy a batch every week, but maybe not a full one so I don't have to dump the entire inventory every time.

If the host tried to end session on me after I dropped the cash I'd be force quitting that game like no tomorrow, denying all progress to him/her since the last save. I would hope they wouldn't try to do that. :p

There are enough people that don't want anything in return when they list their island so I'd hope we wouldn't need to resort to going to these people.

I’ll know this afternoon if I have a large spike or small spike in the coming days. 

On the whole paying to go to someone’s town, I think it’s silly and redundant. I will never charge someone to come to my town to sell turnips, one being I probably sold mine so have lots of bells anyway and two, it’s just a game people. I opened my town last week via dodo code for free when I had high prices, no fee but only a couple people actually left a tip, but you know what, I didn’t mind, the fact that I’m helping people was more than enough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tales said:

Not about turnips, but I was thinking it's a good idea to announce and open the gates if Celeste is visiting. I believe every player gets an DIY related to stardusts.

I have seen her once and got a wand recipe. I never considered that she might distribute a whole series because a wand seemed mystical enough!

Ok. Only gonna be a small spike tomorrow, mid 200’s so I’ll keep an eye here this afternoon if no one looks like a late spike I’ll just sell.