Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

Indie World Presentation 17/03 5pm GMT / 6pm CET

General Direct next week, amirite?

Looking forward to not seeing Hollow Knight: Silksong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right in line with the rumour...

So March 26th for the main Nintendo Direct then.

Edited by Dcubed

4 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Looking forward to not seeing Hollow Knight: Silksong

I'd like to think that's too big a game for an indie showcase

Looking forward to seeing what's coming along. The last Indie World didn't exactly blow my socks off but I'm hopeful for a few bigger announcements now. Silksong will most likely be saved until the summer (I have a feeling that if the game is wrapping up, Nintendo will want to try and do another shadow drop ala the original around E3) so I'm not expecting that but hopefully there'll be something to catch the eye and perhaps a shadow drop or two (just as well that I put money on my eshop account in case).

Does seem like this will lead into a general Direct next week. This Indie World falls around when they would normally do one around GDC so it's looking likely that the general one is next week (and I'm hopeful of some more Wii U ports seeing as I've a real hankering to play Wind Waker and would love Nintendo to port the HD remaster to the Switch so I don't need to track down a Wii U).

More on Axiom Verge 2 and a release date for Streets of Rage 4 would be nice. Though I’m not sure if SoR is called as an indie. 

I had said on the podcast that I didn't thing Streets of Rage 4 was looking particularly enticing (from someone who loves the first 2) but after watching some gameplay recently, I think it probably does look like it could be a worthy successor.

Unfortunately, I think the music in all of the videos I have watched seems to be where the game is likely to fall short :hmm:

Yuzo Koshiro produced absolute magic on the Mega Drive to help elevate Streets of Rage and its sequel to greatness but in 4 the music seems to fade into the background. Perhaps turning it up in the settings will help.. ::shrug:

Should be a nice bit of escapism at a time like this.  I'm hoping to see:

• Streets of Rage 4
  • Shantae and the Seven Sirens
  • Sega Ages Golden Axe (coin-op)

Not sure if any of those are indie, really, but I'd like to know when they'll be released.

• Thanks 1

Mentioned it plenty of times around here before, but hopefully we get an update on CrossCode. We haven't heard much of anything since it quietly got delayed out of 2019 due to some issues porting from Flash, so fingers crossed.

No idea when I'd have time to fit this in, mind.

A potential Direct next week, at least for me, could unfortunately overshadow all of this indie focus with a release date for Xenoblade Chronicles DE, never mind all of the other games I already own and am looking forward to. Even for shorter games I'm looking at older stuff from the NES and SNES catalogue which Nintendo has made much more accessible with Online. 

I'm not sure where everyone else is at with indie games these days, but for me, I love it when they take something trivial by gaming standards these days, such as online cooperation, 2D platforming or walking simulators and just run with it and make a great storytelling experience out of it. It reminds me of Nintendo pulling off amazing feats in their games due, in large part, to the technological limitations of their console at the time (and that isn't a sleight). 

Journey, Inside and Firewatch are all very unique and interesting experiences which I'd recommend to just about anyone, and I just haven't found myself gravitating much to indies these days as, though I'm well aware that many of them tackle other genres besides this, I feel almost bogged down by the focus on 2D platformers and Metroidvanias (but I understand from a design and programming perspective why this is the case). 

All of that and the embarrassment of riches in the AAA space, as well as my personal backlog, makes it tough for me to pick up an indie game and give it the time it deserves. It's no fault of the game, but I do feel like the indie space is quickly heading towards a point of saturation. 

• Thanks 1

Well if it isn't a good time to shadowdrop a surprise sequel to a popular indie game, I don't know what is.

Some cool stuff, I'll post my list later.

Aside from Dicey Dungeons and Exit the Gungeon it was a pretty boring presentation for me.

But then again, two roguelites are all I need. And one of them releases today? Coolcoolcoolcoolcoolcool.

Only read the press release but seems there's a lot of dogs. As should be the case. 

Wasn't a huge amount that caught my eye but nice to see Dicey Dungeon is on the way. I've had my eye on it for some time for looking forward to playing that in the summer.

But there really wasn't any big wow moment and there was a lack of updates on previously announced games (I'm not meaning Silksong but things like The Red Lantern, Roku and things like that) so it felt a bit flat. The Last Campfire continues to look nice though. Had been wondering about that the other week as it was announced at The Game Awards 2018 IIRC so nice that it'll be here soon-ish.

Hopefully if the rumours of a general Direct next week are true, there'll be a few bigger indie games in there as they tend to do that alongside the other third party offerings.

May give Exit The Gungeon a go but I wasn't enamored with the original so I don't know. Just picked up Stardew Valley to play on the Switch so that'll take up my indie game time as it did when I put 60 odd hours into the PS4 version.

content-4-36182-indiedirect17032020roundupbanner.jpg

Nintendo Indie World 17/03/2020 Presentation Roundup

Here's N-Europe's usual Indie World presentation roundup.

Full press release and link to the original video in the article. :D

Exit the Gungeon easily stole the show for me. :)

(I need to play Enter the Gungeon though...)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

(I need to play Enter the Gungeon though...)

Do you only exist to disappoint me?

angry-monkey-gif-1.gif

• Haha 1

Baldo, Blue Fire, and Last Campfire caught my attention. I enjoyed Enter the Gungeon but haven't got the time to even try to play it anymore so won't go for Exit the Gungeon.

I enjoyed it.  Not sure whether that's because I'm trying to see the good side of everything in present circumstances, but I enjoyed it!

Blue Fire - looked very good, like an N64-style Zelda.

Baldo - very nice tone and art style.

B.ARK - very colourful and smooth-looking example of the genre.

The Last Campfire - looked rather special, at least visually.

The Good Life - now this one did catch my attention.  I'm intrigued that it's set in an English village.  Rainy Woods?  Sounds like the sort of place I always frequent!

I suppose I haven't paid much attention to these shows over the past couple of years (have been a bit distracted), but it's interesting how "indie" used to translate into very simple, 2D pixel art games, whereas more and more they are becoming full 3D games.

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed the direct, and would give any of them a go (except from Eldest Scrolls, too generic). Also isn't it wonderful how global the Indie scene is? Argentinian developers, Spanish, Italian - more perspectives more originality. 

• Like 2

Haven't posted my reactions yet, so let me do that right now before I get into the Direct.

• Blue Fire (Summer 2020) - Maybe - Looks cool, though a bit budget (as in: empty). I like the artstyle somewhat.
  • Baldo (Summer 2020) - Maybe - Looks good despite anime-faux artstyle, and looks fun.
  • I AM DEAD (2020) - Unlikely - Love the title, but hate the artstyle. Need to know more what the puzzles are like, but so far not interested.
  • B.ARK (Late 2020) - Unlikely - Looks fun in multiplayer, and makes me want an online co-op Parodius. But this will probably never get played.
  • C&H Freakpocalypse (Summer 2020) - No - That artstyle and humor is fine for a 3 panel webcomic, but I couldn't stand enduring that for a whole game.
  • Summer in Mara (Spring 2020) - Maybe - Looks good despite the (yet again) anime faux artstyle, and looks relaxing. Problem is I'm busy with Animal Crossing..
  • Quantum League (Late 2020) - Unlikely - They didn't do a good job of explaining the mechanics. I have no idea how this works, and the rest doesn't look interesting.
  • The Good Life (2020) - Kickstarted - I kickstarted this, so I'm getting a Steam copy at the very least. I love the setting, artstyle, and detective and photography gameplay. Looking forward to this.
  • The Last Campfire (Summer 2020) - Likely - Bit similar to Blue Fire, in that it looks a bit simple.. I like the artstyle and character designs despite it being very reminiscent of other artstyles. I'm just liking what I see, and I love the song in the trailer.
  • PixelJunk Eden 2 (Summer 2020) - No - I love immersive techno beats and sleak stylistic visuals. But I'm not interested in what I see here.
  • Faeria (Spring 2020) - Unlikely - Could be interesting, I'd need to see more, but Slay the Spire is fulfilling my deckbuilding needs.
  • Eldest Souls (Summer 2020) - No - Looks somewhat cool and fun, but being just a bosh rush is being just half a game.
  • Blair Witch (Summer 2020) - Unlikely - I still haven 't seen the film haha. Could be interesting, but it's very low priority.
  • Ghost of a Tale (Spring 2020) - Maybe - Looks cute, and also familiar. Maybe it's on my Steam wishlist or something. I'll keep an eye on this.
  • Sky (Summer 2020) - Maybe - Another simplistic looking game (in multiple aspects), but may do just enough to interest me.
  • Sky Racket (Now) - No - Can't stand the artstyle. Pixel graphics done wrong.
  • Superliminal (Summer 2020) - Likely - Saw this somewhere else, an XBox presentation I believe, and I think the puzzles looks cool.
  • Wingspan (Spring 2020) - Unlikely - Same as Faeria, I'm not interested in a new deckbuilding game.. Though I kind of like the educational aspect of it.
  • Dicey Dungeons (2020) - No - That few second video didn't explain what's going on.
  • Bounty Battle (Summer 2020) - No - No interest in a fighter with shit artstyle.
  • Moving Out (28-04-2020) - Unlikely - Looks like it could be a fun couch multiplayer game, but as I rarely get to play those..
  • Exit the Gungeon (Now) - No - Never played the original, and this too just looks too chaotic. I like certain aspects, but I'm just going to be crap at the game, so I'll pass.
Edited by Sméagol

You probably heard my likes and dislikes on the podcast, but here it is in visual form.

865fac2f2a6da6c5d74fadeb22b068b6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this