NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Goafer

Dungeons and Dragons/Other Tabletop Gaming

I've been listening to The Adventure Zone for a while and been wanting to try Dungeons and Dragons ever since. I've managed to find 2 groups to play with; one I'm DMing for and the other I'm just a player.

The first game was with me as DM, which was a bit of a learning experience but we bumbled our way through it. I'm not a huge fan of DMing, but I was the one that got this group together so it kind of fell to me to do it. We're playing the campaign from the Essentials Kit, The Dragon of Icespire Peak. It was a fairly good game, but as everyone was new, there wasn't many standout moments. The only one of note was when the players were searching a fireplace and were wary of traps. One guy threw a rock at it, another punched the fireplace mercilessly and another one tried to jam a pole up the chimney to search for stuff. It was a case of massively overthinking something, as the item they were looking for was just sat in the fireplace, clearly displayed and with no traps. I think we spent about 15 minutes cautiously approaching and testing.

The second game took place yesterday and it made up of Me, @ReZourceman, Nate from FRUK and another of their friends, Sam. Nate is DMing and has done way more research than I had, so he was much better at it. We're playing The Lost Mine of Phandelver from the Starter Set. Right from the get-go, ReZ was his usual self, with his first combat roll being a strength check to jam his javelin up a dead horses butthole to add poison damage to his attacks. He then spent the rest of the combat chasing this javelin around the battlefield, as he threw it at an enemy, missed, then went to retrieve it.

Another highlight was our super cunning plan to fool some goblins. We had worked our way into their cave and came across a room that we suspected had more goblins in. Sam's character could speak Goblin, so he yelled into the room "We've caught the intruders" in the goblin language. When a voice yelled back asking us to prove it, we improvised a plan. Sam had collected a goblin head for research, so he jammed it onto the end of one of ReZ's javelins and we loosely tied ourselves up and walked in to the room pretending to be prisoners, whilst the dead goblins head peered over my shoulder. The DM warned us that we'd have to roll incredibly highly for this stupid plan to work and lo and behold, Sam rolled a natural 20. It was one of those situations that was so incredibly stupid, but somehow worked, at least temporarily. Our negotiation from a seemingly captured position didn't go well, so I ended up dramatically releasing myself from the "restraints" and manged to pass an intimation check, stating that we were only there for our captured employer and didn't want to fuck up more goblins than we had to.

Neither of the games have finished yet, so I'll probably be playing again with both groups soon, so hopefully there will be more stories from each game soon.

• Thanks 1

Yeeeeesssss. Was briIliant. I don't actually recall which moment it was, but shortly after (what became known as) Mucky Javelin, I was crying with laughter and finding it hard to breathe.

Interestingly, I hadn't actually quite intended my actions to have such a comedic edge to them, but the stars alligned and the universe provided me with javelins and the corpse of a horse. My course of action was predetermined by fate.q

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ReZourceman said:

Yeeeeesssss. Was briIliant. I don't actually recall which moment it was, but shortly after (what became known as) Mucky Javelin, I was crying with laughter and finding it hard to breathe.

I believe it was the moment we realized that it was literally the first decision you made in the game. Also the fact that the DM decided it was a strength check, rather than dexterity (his logic being that the horse was already dead, so accuracy wasn't an issue).

16 hours ago, ReZourceman said:

Interestingly, I hadn't actually quite intended my actions to have such a comedic edge to them, but the stars alligned and the universe provided me with javelins and the corpse of a horse. My course of action was predetermined by fate.q

No real interest in D&D (I wasn't invited to their game :P) But I just wanted to say hey @ReZourceman! You should come back and post more often. We miss you here!

• Thanks 1

As @Goaferand I are just starting to get into Tabletop Simulator on Steam I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any recommendations of other real life tabletop games they love that I could search for in the game?

Sign in to follow this