NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

The N-Europe Quarantine Olympics

So as the situation rapidly worsens in Europe, many of use are facing time off work, time off the streets and time spent at home. Sport has been essentially cancelled and public places like cinemas, bars and restaurants are likely soon to follow leaving us with little opportunity for fun activities and social interaction. I know the U.K. is taking a different approach to the continent for the time being, but I can see inevitable shut-downs happening as the days go by.  

To combat the boredom, the worry and the panic that is likely to engulf our lives over the next month, I suggest we have a place where we can share Skype / Discord information (thanks , Nintendo) and arrange online gaming sessions. I know a number of people on this forum live alone or live far away from close friends and relatives and we are all facing a period of limited interaction with other people. I think getting together a couple of times a week and just sitting down for a group chat and a gaming session would be a good way of helping each other get through this time. Ironically, we've never had a better opportunity to tackle those backlogs...

I've slowly been getting down at how the situation is changing, unlikely to be going out to work for the next 4 weeks at least as all the schools will be closed, and the prospect of spending all that time at home, completely alone, is not one I'm looking forward to. We already have Mario Kart 8 on Thursday at 8pm UK, Smash Bros. Ultimate on the same day at 9.15pm UK - I'll be joining these sessions for the foreseeable future and would suggest opening voice channels if anyone else is up for it.

If anyone has any recommendations for any online games, post them here. Animal Crossing launches in a week. I'm already going back on my decision not to buy it, because I think sinking hours into it will help the time pass. 

So, N-E, who's locked down? Who wants to join?

Stay safe everybody, and let's get through this together. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I think this is a wonderful idea.

While I can't always be available to talk through voice chat, everyone is welcome to join the N-E Smash and Mario Kart weekly sessions.
But if you do, all I ask is that you try and give me some advance notice if you want to jump into the Mario Kart League. It hasn't happened in quite a while, but if more than 12 people want to play, I'll have to split everyone into 2 groups and having some time to organise that would be nice.

Edited by Glen-i

57 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

So as the situation rapidly worsens in Europe, many of use are facing time off work, time off the streets and time spent at home. Sport has been essentially cancelled and public places like cinemas, bars and restaurants are likely soon to follow leaving us with little opportunity for fun activities and social interaction. I know the U.K. is taking a different approach to the continent for the time being, but I can see inevitable shut-downs happening as the days go by.  

To combat the boredom, the worry and the panic that is likely to engulf our lives over the next month, I suggest we have a place where we can share Skype / Discord information (thanks , Nintendo) and arrange online gaming sessions. I know a number of people on this forum live alone or live far away from close friends and relatives and we are all facing a period of limited interaction with other people. I think getting together a couple of times a week and just sitting down for a group chat and a gaming session would be a good way of helping each other get through this time. Ironically, we've never had a better opportunity to tackle those backlogs...

I've slowly been getting down at how the situation is changing, unlikely to be going out to work for the next 4 weeks at least as all the schools will be closed, and the prospect of spending all that time at home, completely alone, is not one I'm looking forward to. We already have Mario Kart 8 on Thursday at 8pm UK, Smash Bros. Ultimate on the same day at 9.15pm UK - I'll be joining these sessions for the foreseeable future and would suggest opening voice channels if anyone else is up for it.

If anyone has any recommendations for any online games, post them here. Animal Crossing launches in a week. I'm already going back on my decision not to buy it, because I think sinking hours into it will help the time pass. 

So, N-E, who's locked down? Who wants to join?

Stay safe everybody, and let's get through this together. 

I'll definitely be up for Animal Crossing when that launches, already got my digital copy downloaded. It's the perfect game to play in this situation I reckon. Idyllic life when real life is going to shit.

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I'll definitely be up for Animal Crossing when that launches, already got my digital copy downloaded. It's the perfect game to play in this situation I reckon. Idyllic life when real life is going to shit.

Until you get shanked by a scorpion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weird 2

This is an excellent idea, Nick. It’s only going to take one child in my school to get Coronavirus, and the school will be forced to close. So, I believe it’s only a matter of time until it happens.
We’ve already had forced school closures after the Chinese New Year break, so nothing else is being implemented unless cases escalate. If that does happen, I’ll be happy to join in when I can.
Switch on the TV, Skype on the iPad, or Discord chat. Whichever others prefer.

11 minutes ago, londragon said:

How’s the situation in Latvia at the moment, Nick?

Quiet. I have barely been outside since Friday. My boss said the centre is a ghost town when she called me today. I'm glad people are staying at home. We're only at 34 confirmed cases so far.

Went to the supermarket yesterday, nothing out of stock, shelves full. Nothing out of the ordinary.

+30 moons on Odyssey. That's about it so far. Tempted to start Fire Emblem or Dragon Quest XI. (no, finish Xenoblade...).

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm up for anything
Alright. Meet me round the back of Lidl with a bag of potatoes, a crowbar, and a hyperdermic needle.
  • Haha 5

A few of us might get together at 8pm tomorrow night, shortly after the Nindie Direct. 

No games settled on, so post a few suggestions. Splatoon 2 might be good as that can accommodate 8 people. Smash, as usual. Anything else? 

A few of us might get together at 8pm tomorrow night, shortly after the Nindie Direct. 
No games settled on, so post a few suggestions. Splatoon 2 might be good as that can accommodate 8 people. Smash, as usual. Anything else? 

I won’t be there at that time, but ARMS great game and you can create a lobby.

I won’t be there at that time, but ARMS great game and you can create a lobby.

Couple of us are playing Rocket League at 8pm GMT if anyone wants to join.

• Like 1

So during the lockdown I've been playing Sekiro. Fantastic game, and not insanely difficult once you get to grips with the basics. I completed the game the other day and finally got all endings yesterday.

Currently working towards getting the platinum trophy since it's actually fun to do. I'd rate the combat in this game the best From Software has ever done, and a massive step up from Dark Souls. Worth checking out for anyone who is bored, and doesn't mind a challenge!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

So during the lockdown I've been playing Sekiro. Fantastic game, and not insanely difficult once you get to grips with the basics. I completed the game the other day and finally got all endings yesterday.

Currently working towards getting the platinum trophy since it's actually fun to do. I'd rate the combat in this game the best From Software has ever done, and a massive step up from Dark Souls. Worth checking out for anyone who is bored, and doesn't mind a challenge!

As a whole how does the game compare to Dark Souls? It looked like it lacks some of the replay-ability.

1 hour ago, LazyBoy said:

As a whole how does the game compare to Dark Souls? It looked like it lacks some of the replay-ability.

I'd argue that it has more replayability in that there is more of a character-driven story, and making a specific choice means you fight different bosses for a very different ending. It has the usual New Game + in which you carry over your character's stats/abilities/items, which makes for a fun time because you're able to quickly take down enemies second time round and get through the game much quicker. Just an example, but you unlock a skill that lets you release a smoke bomb if you stealth kill someone, which then lets you chain kill other enemies who are around you. That normally unlocks partway throughout the game, but you have that ability right away in NG+.

In terms of combat, it's much less of a sedate affair than Dark Souls - no holding shields and slowly advancing, more deflecting attacks and stealth backstabs. One thing I disliked about Dark Souls if you wanted to get everything was the need to do multiple playthroughs to get several copies of specific boss souls (e.g. you needed to kill Sif 3 times). There's none of that here.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this