NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Nintendo x Lego collab

I need to see how creative they get with the sets, the fun for me with Lego is building, not displaying (don't really have the space for it anyway, so I'll keep future bigger sets to a minimum). @Vileplume2000 mentioned a recreation of 1-1, which I also immediately thought of. Which at first glance, as Mario and Lego nerds, sounds cool, but if you think about it, that's just fucking boring to build (plus something you can almost do with basic Lego, no need for a set). The problem is Mario has barely any iconic buildings, they're all platform levels, and especially in the 2D games, they're visually not that super interesting, or at least not interesting to serve as a basis for a Lego set. I think most ideas for sets will come from the 3D games.

I think the flagship set for this series will be Peach's castle, which I'd love to build, but probably don't want to display haha. I can also see them doing some retro throwback to 1-1, but definitely not a flat one-one-one recreation, just a small "3D" set inspired by those looks, with unique Goomba figures and obviously question mark stickers. I could maybe see a generic mushroom village, and a Bowser's castle. The last one they'd have to design themselves, where surprisingly it's probably the Mario Kart games where you can get the best look at a full Bowser castle, and would also be easy to do as they have plenty of existing castle blocks to use. Just a grey castle with lava bits thrown in, an Thwomps as exclusive figures, apart from ario and Bowser and Peach of course.

That said, if the tweet is a real indication, I'm not going to like the look of a Mario minifigure. Luckily I can stick ot my Nendoroids.

Edited by Sméagol

My guess is it’ll be some kind of NFC/Amiibo stuff. Little figures you buy and build which unlock something in a yet to be announced Lego Mario game. 

They've always seemed so reluctant to work with Lego in the past.  When ideas have gone through Lego Cuusoo/Ideas in the past they've always been closed down because of a pre-existing relationship with Knex.

I don't think we'll get much though.  Maybe just a couple of Super Mario sets rather than an entire series.

I'd love to see a battleship, Bowser's Castle and Peach's Castle as Lego. That would be interesting. Getting bricks to make your own levels would be cool but not something you'd display for long.

• Like 1

Since this doesn't pertain to games 9or at least not yet), I feel this is more at home in the general section.

Looks like 12 sets and a mini figure series planned.

Edited by Sméagol

I have no interest in Mario themed Lego, but i would be interested in a Lego Mario game. Doubt that's going to happen though.

14 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Interesting tidbit about the Direct there. 

I imagine it's just a way of getting traffic to the GAME website. They know the slightest hint of a Nintendo Direct will get fans going crazy.

Interesting idea and a neat way to tie it into the franchise, but isn't the fun of lego to be able to experiment? This seems rather prescribed, but it is just one video for now with no specific details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

You build a course for Mario to go through before the timer reaches 0, I guess. It ties well into the "robotic" ideas that LEGO have been running with over the past few years. But it's not something I'd buy for myself, perhaps for my son in a year.

It looks like they've managed to take two of my favourite things, Mario and Lego, and make something that looks nothing like either.

Edited by will'
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Haha. I wasnt to build something. But I suspect this will be a special dedicated set, and we'll still get the Peach's Castle for the builders.

7 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Haha. I wasnt to build something. But I suspect this will be a special dedicated set, and we'll still get the Peach's Castle for the builders.

This isn't a single set.  This is likely the combining of all the sets they're producing.

Bit gutted there's no minifigures.  But maybe next time.

12 minutes ago, will' said:

It looks like they've managed to take two of my favourite things, Mario and Lego, and make something that looks nothing like neither.

From the presser:

"Neither a video game nor a traditional LEGO brick-based set"

Yeah that would be a real shame. I really want a "traditional" set, a Peach's Castle. I'm not buying anything from that video.

• Like 1

It looks really clever and high tech, but I'm a traditionalist at heart.  I'd have been really tempted by Peach's Castle and Bowser's Castle (and Hyrule Castle) but for me this is too much "toy" and not enough "model".

Yeah, I would've much preferred something more like a traditional Lego set than this "prescribed" set with a single expected "solution".

The fun of Lego is in building something of your own; not really in following instructions to just build a given set.

Feels like a response to every kid being glued to an iPad, and how they need to get some kind of interactivity and digital screen to keep modern day kids entertained.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Feels like a response to every kid being glued to an iPad, and how they need to get some kind of interactivity and digital screen to keep modern day kids entertained.

Ok boomer

• Haha 1

So after seeing it, I’m a bit torn now. Like most I wanted some traditional sets based on Peach’s castle, Bowser’s castle, scenes or sets of characters. This is a cool idea and I really like that they have tried something that ties into the games, but depending on how they are I don’t know if I’ll be buying so much now. I just want a huge Peach’s castle just like the Disney castle set. 

Sign in to follow this