NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Nintendo x Lego collab

Great. I was going to use the double points week and my VIP points to get the Haunted House, but I need this set so don’t know what to do. Do I buy the Haunted House, get double points and not use my VIP points. Then buy this with them. Might get close to £80 worth of vouchers. Or not get the Haunted House yet and just go for the NES. 

24 minutes ago, Ike said:

Is it life sized?

You can get an idea of the size from these two pictures:

%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F%E5%B7%A5%E5%BB%A0%E7%%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F%E5%B7%A5%E5%BB%A0%E7%

It's a cool piece of tech don't get me wrong but after one use what are you going to do? The Mario is just following a designated path so...?

Spoiler

TEVHTy5qcGc=

The LEGO Group introduces LEGO® edition of classic
Nintendo Entertainment System™

The LEGO Group and Nintendo build on LEGO® Super Mario™ partnership with this new LEGO® Nintendo Entertainment System™ and 1980s-style TV that let adult fans recreate Super Mario Bros.™ gameplay and rekindle nostalgic NES memories.

BILLUND, July 14, 2020: The LEGO Group today announced a LEGO® Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) Building Kit for adults, letting grown-up fans create their own NES console with LEGO bricks. The new kit, the latest product of the LEGO Group and Nintendo partnership, offers a brick-built NES model packed with realistic details, including the accompanying 1980’s style LEGO television set, so nostalgic gamers and LEGO fans can recreate their favorite Super Mario Bros.™ childhood experiences.

Today’s announcement will let adult fans take a trip down memory-lane by building a mechanically functional version of an all-time favourite console with LEGO bricks. The new NES Building Kit will include a controller with a connecting cable and plug and even an opening slot for the Game Pak with a locking feature. The console also comes with a buildable retro TV, featuring a flat 8-bit Mario figure on the scrolling screen. Fans can scan an included action brick with LEGO® Mario™ from the LEGO Super Mario Starter Course, so he reacts to on-screen enemies, obstacles and power-ups just as he would have in the iconic Super Mario Bros. game.

“Super Mario has been a cherished figure in the gaming world for over thirty years now,” said Maarten Simons, Creative Lead on LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System™, the LEGO Group. “Many adults still fondly remember that first time they saw Mario leap across the small screen, even if the graphics were a lot simpler than they are today. With the LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System, we’re letting them truly indulge in that nostalgia, recreating one of the most-loved consoles of all time so they can see the Super Mario from their childhoods once again – and even to share the experience of gaming in the 1980s with their own children.”

The LEGO Group and Nintendo announced their partnership earlier this year, bringing a fun-packed LEGO Super Mario universe to life through a Super Mario Starter Course set that exclusively features a LEGO Mario figure who displays a wide variety of instant reactions to movement, color and various action bricks. This entry point set was followed up on in May with a series of Power-Up Packs and in June with the announcement of a range of Expansion Sets and collectible Character Packs. All have been designed to build out the world of LEGO Super Mario, letting players unleash their creativity by building exactly the levels and challenges they want to see LEGO Mario and friends compete in.

This highly collectible NES building set is part of a range of inspirational LEGO models designed for discerning hobbyists, as they look for their next immersive challenge. The LEGO NES will be available exclusively from LEGO Retail Stores and LEGO.com from August 1st 2020. From 2021 it will be available also at other leading retailers around the world.

The full LEGO Super Mario product line also launches August 1st and will be available directly from LEGO Stores and www.LEGO.com as well as at leading retailers around the world.

The update was shared in a video posted by the LEGO Group and Nintendo earlier today and on the LEGO Super Mario website at www.LEGO.com/SuperMario.

Lego gives us an interactive open-ended 'play how you want' game and people complain saying they just want something cool to build and be done.

Then they give us exactly that and people are like "But what does it actually do, you build it and then what??"

#internet

Anyway looks ridiculously cool, here's the order page, looks like pre-orders are going up on the 1st of August: https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/nintendo-entertainment-system-71374?cmp=social-7s8hlq-SHOP

Edited by Ronnie

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Lego gives us an interactive open-ended 'play how you want' game and people complain saying they just want something cool to build and be done.

Then they give us that and people are like "But what does it actually do??"

#internet

Anyway looks ridiculously cool, order page, looks like pre-orders are going up on the 1st of August: https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/nintendo-entertainment-system-71374?cmp=social-7s8hlq-SHOP

Was that aimed at me or just some random unnamed people on the internet?

But that's not at all what I said now or at all in this thread.

I'm curious what the fun is in it (rotating a handle), but I did say it was a cool piece of tech. Just not one I'd find fun in. Previously I was curious what people thought as I believed part of the joy of Lego was being able to experiment, but I neither complained I wanted "something cool to build and be done" nor "what does it actually do". I can tell what this set does, I just am curious if that will be enough for people after a few uses. 

But then I've never been a fan of plastic cluttering up my space so it was never going to appeal to me whereas some people will enjoy having this set on display. I was genuinely curious what people thought of this interactivity model but excuse me for trying to ask others what they think.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ashley said:

It's a cool piece of tech don't get me wrong but after one use what are you going to do? The Mario is just following a designated path so...?

To be fair, most LEGO for adults is just for show. The LEGO Architecture sets spring to mind.

It's cool but I'm too cheap to buy it. Same with First 4 Figures - they are really neat and I do want them but I can't bring myself to spend the money on them. If I were living by myself with the money I have now, then maybe. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah I get that, was just surprised the interactivity is as old school as it is. I guess my response is "hmm" more than anything else. I don't quite know what I was expecting but it wasn't that and its not like I expected it to be fully playable. 

I haven't bought Lego in years but I'm always tempted by the massive sets. For me the fun would be putting it all together, once that parts done I don't know how interested I would be in displaying it.

Oh my god that thing looks amazing. I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Oh yeah I get that, was just surprised the interactivity is as old school as it is. I guess my response is "hmm" more than anything else. I don't quite know what I was expecting but it wasn't that and its not like I expected it to be fully playable. 

It’s all about the building really, seeing how it comes together and then seeing it in action. It’s just nice that it exists and you could play with it if you wanted.

The Saturn V they did a few years ago is similar. If you want to it all comes apart into the different stages and the build process is super interesting and a lot of fun. Mine has sat next to the TV for two years and never been touched since. But I could pretend to launch it to the moon in a grand re-enactment if I wanted to.

1 hour ago, will' said:

But I could pretend to launch it to the moon in a grand re-enactment if I wanted to.

Well now you have to!

Found all of this stuff was in the lego store here while out shopping earlier. I picked up a few sets for testing purposes.

3C6FE800-D366-4392-887A-08AF6F753207.jpeg.4511cf12f1fd49cff3dbc2b7cd510952.jpeg

9BC6893F-61EC-4157-BC6B-182EF7E428E4.jpeg.52a28187231e5a546e9b5334ccb76386.jpeg

Think I’m going to save the NES for a while, but the Mario stuff will probably get played with today. Everything about the NES looks awesome, going to be a lot of fun building it.

• Like 1

Lego took my money for the starter set so that may arrive today. I’ll be getting the rest as and when I can. And also will pick up that NES as soon as possible. 

I have the say the Super Mario stuff is actually way cooler than I’d thought it would be. The starter set along you get enough cool pieces and connectors to make a cool level and the build of each part is really well thought out. The app based instructions work really well and I can see them rolling that out for other sets in the future (if they don’t already?). The whole thing is really well done and I think they’ll make a lot of money with this.

I can still see kids having a lot of fun with it, but I’m also sold on adults enjoying it too. No doubt I will pick up a few more sets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s not been half a day and on the Lego online store the NES, Bowsers Castle and Boo Haunted mansion are already sold out and on Back Order. These sets are going to sell really well.

Bring on a whole line of Lego Nintendo console I say. 

Ordered a LEGO NES this morning, 200 quid, I don't need it, but I need it. :cry:

• Like 1

Oh you need it! I’m still doing my best to hold out on it but my god it looks so tempting jut sitting there.

• Like 1

On a professional note it’s very important to know what other large publishers are doing.

As a parent it’s essential to know when to introduce toys with small parts to your child.

I feel I am totally justified in buying all of this for research, @Ashley.

• Haha 1

EfDKxajX0AAAJDA?format=jpg&name=large
my starter set finally arrived from Lego shop. Got the Monty Mole as a free gift with it and I bought the Whomp’s Lava Trouble. 

• Like 2

I always thought there were about 4 courses and a few different character skins for Mario but actually looking it up there's 16 sets!

That NES set looks pretty cool but for the love of god can we get over NES nostalgia yet?! We've had nostalgic nods and throwbacks to the NES since the GameCube era, give us some more SNES and N64 stuff pleaseeee 

The Mario LEGO looks absolutely hideous to me, especially Mario himself, but it's clear that's for the young'uns and the NES is for the ageing millenials/boomers. I really hope we get Peach's castle, that's the only one I'd buy. 

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this