lacazet2k

Why are Nintendo games so expensive?

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Just chiming in to say that I think Kirby Star Allies is a better game than Mario Odyssey, BoTW and Splatoon 2.

Value is subjective. This whole "B-Tier" thing is nonsense.

Can’t see many people getting more than 100 hours out of Kirby. 

Also the budgets of Yoshi and Kirby are a fraction of those of the other games you mentioned. "B-tier" is not "nonsense". B-tier doesn't mean "bad". They are not system sellers, they never have been. They are solid games which prop up the Switch's library with variety that cost less money to make, hence the term B-tier. Value IS subjective, but development costs are not, and while we don't have any official data about this, I think the fact that BOTW was years in development, had an engine built from the ground up and had an ungodly amount of content means we can deduce it cost a little more than a game which is poorly optimised and runs on unreal engine 4. 

Edited by Nicktendo

Don't think I've ever had a bigger case of buyers' regret than with Kirby Star Allies. What a waste of 40ish quid that was, for me.

That’s quite an extreme reaction. Hope you’re feeling better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We'd probably best not even mention "Microtransactions" then... oops. :p

It is something which we covered not so long ago though, so I'll just leave this here...

content-4-36164-neactionanewseasonpassapproachesbanner.jpg

Personally, when it comes to games now, I question if the game is really worth it to me, buying it at full price at launch to support the developer... or waiting and still getting the same great game for less, still potentially supporting the developer if bought new, but not rushing out to buy it just because.

I think it's more of an issue for third-party games on the Switch at the moment, with titles such as Burnout Paradise Remastered clocking in at £40...

You can get the physical game for £15 - £20 on other platforms, so something like that is a bit of a hard-sell if you already own it.

I still bought Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition as soon as it came out, but I think that's potentially worth it, to me, for the amount of content available.

I've got the latest Paper Mario game on pre-order... I'm still reasonably confident in buying it, but Bug Fables is a fantastic Paper Mario type game and it's less than half the retail price.

• Thanks 1