NEurope
bob

COVID-19 (The artist formally known as Coronavirus)

Northern ireland also delaying any further openings for a while too.  Think its wise, if it has to be longer NOW to prevent further lockdown later that is sensible.

The only thing this government have done well during this pandemic is the vaccine rollout. Dithering over locking down initially, the PPE shambles along with the care home fiasco, plus many other failures. And now any gains that they have made with the vaccines have been squandered by the delay in putting India on the red list, most likely to try to secure a trade deal with them due to the other shambles that is Brexit, which is something that the media don’t even bother to touch upon.

Was fun to see Gove squirm this morning when quizzed about the delay in putting India on the red list, even though other countries on the list had a lower infection rate at the time. And he still believes that they made the right decision through his deluded, bare faced lies. Though what do you expect from the same fish lipped bellend who somehow managed to swerve the isolation rules when he was pinged by the Covid-19 app? He was allowed to take part in a trial to take a test every day instead of isolating, even though that trial was only available to people who had been contacted by Track and Trace, not the app.

And the really disheartening thing is that if there were a general election tomorrow, these charlatans would still get in by a landslide as there are no credible alternatives. 

Edited by Dog-amoto
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

And the really disheartening thing is that if there were a general election tomorrow, these charlatans would still get in by a landslide as there are no credible alternatives. 

Is that really true? I think the Labour party are a bit of a mess right now, but do we really think they'd do worse that this complete, corrupt shitshow? A party made up of barely sentient algae would do better than the PR-driven bilge we have at the moment. I can't think of a single thing that the Tories have done that suggests they are in any way more competent that any of the other parties (other than manage to convince 45% of the public that they are).

I really hate this mentality that 'oh, Labour are unelectable right now, so we have to vote for the Tories'. It's bullshit. What could Labour do that is possibly worse that crashing the country out of Europe, and then allowing a pandemic to kill off 130k people. 

I wish that it wasn't just a choice between options, but since that's our political system, let the other group in for a while, and see if they do any better. I genuinely don't think they could do any worse.

1 minute ago, bob said:

(other than manage to convince 45% of the public that they are).

Totally agree, but that’s exactly it. Labour under Corbyn were unelectable because that’s how they were portrayed. He loved terrorists and didn’t wear a tie on Remembrance Sunday. The one who brushes his hair with a balloon actually placed the wreath upside down and the media later showed footage of him from the previous year to hide the fact that he fucked up. Diane Abbott couldn’t count and the gammons lapped it up. Same with Brexit, because foreigners innit? The media moguls were terrified of Corbyn getting in as he would’ve clamped down on the amount of tax avoidance they get away with. It’s sad that the media can pretty much choose who will be in charge. Everyone says imagine if Corbyn was in charge during this, but I really wish he was. Not that he would have necessarily done any better, but at least he would’ve been held to account for any missteps. Matt Hancock could take a massive shit on a dying Covid patient’s chest and still get away with it because...look over there...a boat of brown immigrants. 

• Like 1

I completely agree with you @Dog-amoto and, truly, honestly, i don't know that Labour would have done *that* much better either.  I have to give them props for the vaccine rollout tho.  Even the useless Northern Ireland government didnt screw up!

Is that really true? I think the Labour party are a bit of a mess right now, but do we really think they'd do worse that this complete, corrupt shitshow? A party made up of barely sentient algae would do better than the PR-driven bilge we have at the moment. I can't think of a single thing that the Tories have done that suggests they are in any way more competent that any of the other parties (other than manage to convince 45% of the public that they are).
I really hate this mentality that 'oh, Labour are unelectable right now, so we have to vote for the Tories'. It's bullshit. What could Labour do that is possibly worse that crashing the country out of Europe, and then allowing a pandemic to kill off 130k people. 
I wish that it wasn't just a choice between options, but since that's our political system, let the other group in for a while, and see if they do any better. I genuinely don't think they could do any worse.
The thing is, regardless of how we feel about it, there's simply no chance Labour would win an election right now. If they did hold one the Conservatives would win without issue.

Just brought my 2nd vaccination forward a week. Worth a try on the site if you want to get it earlier, although annoyingly you have to cancel your current one before seeing availability, but I read a while back if it wasn't open to reschedule people were able to rebook their original.

I'd like to know which government or which country around the world got it right when dealing with Covid 19? Maybe when this is all over the world can find the blueprint of how to deal with any future pandemic and stop us making the same mistakes again.

As for Labour and the Conservatives, I wouldn't vote for either right now. Not really sure what either party stands for anymore. I do not trust the Conservatives and Labour took their eye off the working class a while ago, sorry to say.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sumo73 said:

I'd like to know which government or which country around the world got it right when dealing with Covid 19? Maybe when this is all over the world can find the blueprint of how to deal with any future pandemic and stop us making the same mistakes again.

If I had to choose one that I see as handling this best, it's Australia.

Some will say that they were way too cautious, I say let their low death figures speak for themselves.

• Like 1

Appointments opening up for 21+ year olds today, so booked the earliest I could find: my first appointment is in just under 3 weeks' time, and then my second appointment is towards the end of September. 

Finally! :bouncy:

• Like 1

It seems like our current lockdown is going to be extended even further. In addition to that there is still no word on when we’ll be able to get vaccines.

The situation here started out a total disaster and then they brought it round and we were basically up there with Australia and New Zealand for a good while. Seems to be slipping back to disaster again. We still have a super low number of cases but the slow rollout of the vaccine here is leaving everything unclear.

Singapore isn’t the most interesting place at the best of times, the current situation makes it less appealing than it’s ever been.

• Like 1

Woke up this morning to find the test & trace app telling me I have to isolate for 6 days. Presumably that means I was in contact with someone 4 days ago who has since tested positive? It gives absolutely no details whatsoever, it would be nice to know where I was supposed to have encountered this person.

So our school refuses to name any member of staff who has had a positive test and just trusts in their own ability to track everyone else down that they came in contact with. Last week there was a positive test and everyone knew who it was just through the grapevine. I along with another member of staff and 2 contractors spent over 15 mins with the person who tested positive but were never contacted with everyone else who was sent home. They then got a negative PCR test so everyone went back to work. Problem is though that we emailed the woman in charge of the COVID response stuff today to inform them after our boss told us to and she was more interested in getting the name of who told us so they could be punished instead of showing any concern that we had fallen through the cracks.

The booking site has been updated allowing you to book your second from 8 weeks and will show you availability (at the same place) before cancelling and rebooking. Managed to bring mine forward a few weeks. 

Just to be clear it will show you availability from the earliest date (first Monday 8 weeks after). I'm sure before it was showing you availability for the next five days from today. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The booking site has been updated allowing you to book your second from 8 weeks and will show you availability (at the same place) before cancelling and rebooking. Managed to bring mine forward a few weeks. 

Just to be clear it will show you availability from the earliest date (first Monday 8 weeks after). I'm sure before it was showing you availability for the next five days from today. 

Perfect, thank you! We just cancelled ours and managed to bring it forward quite a bit. :D 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

No luck for me unfortunately. No other dates available.

If it helps, the website is garbage and will often show you dates it didn't show before if you randomly refresh a lot or come back slightly later.

Just now, Sheikah said:

If it helps, the website is garbage and will often show you dates it didn't show before if you randomly refresh a lot or come back slightly later.

Yeah I tried last night and again just now but nothing so far. I'm just gonna check back every now and again. I'm not in a massive rush to get the second jab but it would be nice to move it up a bit.

It does only show the same venue as last time until you cancel. You may be able to find some earlier at a different venue. You can rebook your same one again if not, just means you get a new reference number. 

Something I've wondered, when you book your 2nd jab does the NHS online site know which vaccine you've had as your first dose? It gave me a long list of vaccination centres to use as my second dose but does that list only show Pfizer centres?

You have to imagine it does but who knows...

Also, at first it said no availability at my centre, but when I cancelled my existing booking and rebooked the same place was there on the list, which is weird.

Edited by Ronnie

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Something I've wondered, when you book your 2nd jab does the NHS online site know which vaccine you've had as your first dose? It gave me a long list of vaccination centres to use as my second dose but does that list only show Pfizer centres?

Also, at first it said no availability at my centre, but when I cancelled my existing booking and rebooked the same place was there on the list, which is weird.

I assume it does as I released the other day I can't see the cricket ground nearby and I know someone got AZ there (although not sure if it's only AZ). It has your NHS number at the point it lists venues so I assume it checks what you've had already and filters as appropriate. 

• Thanks 1

On 22/06/2021 at 2:20 PM, Ronnie said:

I am fairly sure that they are operating the same over the entire uk (i'm NI) but any of the bigger clinical NHS settings will have been financed for the superfreezers for the pfizer vaccine.  GP and pharmacy will hold the others.

Take your card with you because theyll ask for it but 99% sure you'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

So Hancock is gone. Wonder which incompetent minister will replace him. 

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

So Hancock is gone. Wonder which incompetent minister will replace him. 

Sajid Javid.

If I remember right, he's the guy who quit the Chancellor role after Johnson told him to fire his aides.

Johnson has some nerve, claiming Hancock did a good job not long after being shown to call him "f***ing useless"

The stealth release update of Hancock's firmware has been the biggest surprise of the week for me. In the previous update, the crying functions just looked completely unrealistic. However, the tech has evolved now into the double-handed arse grab, which is quite a feat. The lip-syncing and voicework for his resignation speech was pretty convincing in places, too. The writing itself still needs a bit of work, so they must have got an intern in for that part.

Here's hoping they can sort it all out in Version 3.1, just in time for his return as Education Minister in the Winter.

• Haha 2