NEurope
bob

COVID-19 (The artist formally known as Coronavirus)

3 hours ago, Will said:

I just had a call to tell me that one of my close friends has died after getting an aneurysm following his vaccine jab. I don’t know how linked the two are or any underlying conditions, totally gutted. Just 42 years old.

That's fucking awful. Really sorry to hear it. Hope you're doing ok.

5 hours ago, Will said:

I just had a call to tell me that one of my close friends has died after getting an aneurysm following his vaccine jab. I don’t know how linked the two are or any underlying conditions, totally gutted. Just 42 years old.

Damn... really sorry to hear that...

If it’s any comfort though? It’s almost certainly not related to the vaccine (any blood clot risk is microscopically small; literally 4 in 1 million, which is around the same as the general population risk anyway IIRC).  So if it was gonna happen? He didn’t do anything wrong by getting the vaccine.

Edited by Dcubed

Thanks everyone, been a pretty tough day. As we find out more it seems he had an undiagnosed brain tumor and either the vaccine is totally unrelated as @Dcubed rightly said, or else was just the kick-off of something that would have happened very soon anyway. We should all still get our vaccines!

Still in shock, will drink a nice cold beer for him soon.

Just got my shot. And since I've already had Covid-19, I'm done :D

Now to wait for normality.

• Like 1

Had my first shot on Saturday. My arm was uncomfortable to lie on but that's all I had.

• Like 1

Why do doctor's surgery receptionists have to be so rude? I received my invite to book my first jab late last week but the locations offered were impossible for me to reach due to my agoraphobia so I figured the best person to talk to would be my GP. I called yesterday afternoon and was advised to call first thing this morning to book an appointment to discuss options with my GP but this morning when I got through to reception the woman was very short with me - telling me "they don't do that here" and asking in a snarky tone "Well why can't you get to one of the vaccination centres?" It's as if it's an imposition on them to have to do their jobs, will never understand their unprofessional demeanor - I get that it can be a stressful job and they will have to deal with some difficult people but you can't treat everyone as if they're going to be a problem, I was nothing but polite trying to explain the situation to her but she spoke to me as if I was screaming my head off.

Anyway, eventually she gave me the number of the local COVID hotline who were much more helpful. Essentially I need to be registered temporarily as a housebound patient at my GP surgery which will enable me to receive my jab from a roving vaccination team so I'm just waiting on a call from the Practice Manager to get that sorted out. Fingers crossed I'll be able to book in soon enough!

Edited by killthenet
  • Like 1

Got jabbed today.

7faf5090a14ec078de2fadcf6490bce3.gif

Very efficient process; in and out in 30 mins, and now I'm feeling fine.

Feels weird to finally have had it after all this time...

• Like 1

So, why are people in British pubs still not wearing face covers while sitting outside in the beer gardens? Not everybody has been vaccinated. :angry:

Some folk are kind of inconsiderate. 

Well it's not required and most people seem to go for the absolute minimum when it comes to following regulations. 

Plus I imagine it's pretty hard to drink with a mask on. I could be wrong though, I'm not obsessed with pubs/drinking like the rest of Britain seems to be.

I've been out shopping a few times recently and was surprised by the lack of people wearing face masks. I guess most people are sick of everything by now and think that everything will be over by 21st June in England at least. I'm not so sure.

I spoke with a Japanese friend yesterday and we both aren't sure how the Olympics are going to happen next month. Sure it can happen but right now in Japan the number of people who have at least one vaccine dose is less than 8%.

Edited by sumo73

Finally got a date for my first vaccination, getting it in two weeks time. Not sure if up here in Scotland if we're doing similar to in England and offering people under 40 a choice of vaccine other than the Astra-Zeneca one but hoping its the Pfizer going by the data coming out recently for its efficacy against the newer variants.

Had to find out by submitting for a missing letter as the Scottish Government have been running ads for those 18-29 to register and get vaccinated mid June onwards and I hadn't received my letter but know people in their 30s have been getting vaccinated. Turns out that there have been a large number of no shows up here in Dundee and it seems that the majority are from people who haven't received their letter telling them of their date for it. So the vaccination roll out is running really well up here :blank:

Just glad I'll finally be getting my first dose soon. My partner has been fully vaccinated since March and with rising cases in Dundee, I've been getting a bit stressed/anxious going out for even a walk as most people here aren't wearing masks (at least they are for the most part in shops, though many still don't seem to get it has to go over your nose as well) so it should give a bit of stress relief at the moment.

2 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

Finally got a date for my first vaccination, getting it in two weeks time. Not sure if up here in Scotland if we're doing similar to in England and offering people under 40 a choice of vaccine other than the Astra-Zeneca one but hoping its the Pfizer going by the data coming out recently for its efficacy against the newer variants.

I was never offered a choice, when I turned up they gave me a sticker to indicate Pfizer. I think you "have" a choice in as much as you can request up front (somehow...?) but I think in large vaccination centres if you're under 40 they're giving you Pfizer by default.

I wasn’t given a choice, just told I was having Pfizer but I know some people who were offered either.

On 6/1/2021 at 2:27 PM, sumo73 said:

I've been out shopping a few times recently and was surprised by the lack of people wearing face masks. I guess most people are sick of everything by now and think that everything will be over by 21st June in England at least. I'm not so sure.

I spoke with a Japanese friend yesterday and we both aren't sure how the Olympics are going to happen next month. Sure it can happen but right now in Japan the number of people who have at least one vaccine dose is less than 8%.

It's not massively different where I am as there are still people wearing masks (and I'm still struggling to either hear or struggling to get people to take them off so I can lip read even though I'm standing at a distance). 

Personally I can't wait until masks are done but purely because it's been a bit of a struggle for me to have a conversation. Like, I have a card that I used to wear saying "Please remove your mask so I can understand you better" and when I need to, I also say "I need to lip read, could you please remove your mask a sec?",  I'm blatantly standing 2m away anyway because I do but you'd be surprised that most people just move it down to their nose and still cover their lips. The people I feel sorry for are the deaf community. I struggle to make out words a little and can 80%-90% get by on keywords but I know a deaf customer who has said this has been bad for him. I think if all people had those window masks, it wouldn't have been so bad but I suppose it can't be helped but still. Just made me feel bad for the guy. 

Edited by Beast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/06/2021 at 2:48 PM, Ashley said:

I was never offered a choice, when I turned up they gave me a sticker to indicate Pfizer. I think you "have" a choice in as much as you can request up front (somehow...?) but I think in large vaccination centres if you're under 40 they're giving you Pfizer by default.

I can tell you if you've gone to a large vaccine centre (i know ours are being hosted in leisure centres/big arenas) you're more than likely going to get pfizer because the bigger places have the superfreezers.  Places like your GPs surgery and pharmacies will have the others due to them only being required to be in a fridge.

On 20/05/2021 at 11:55 AM, Will said:

Thanks everyone, been a pretty tough day. As we find out more it seems he had an undiagnosed brain tumor and either the vaccine is totally unrelated as @Dcubed rightly said, or else was just the kick-off of something that would have happened very soon anyway. We should all still get our vaccines!

Still in shock, will drink a nice cold beer for him soon.

I can't even imagine what you and all of his loved ones are going through, so terribly sad.   Puts a lot of things into perspective. 

Hopefully we are out of the worst of this, any spikes of covid we do get *should* be minimised thanks to the work of so many of the NHS and people that have stayed at home, but we've got a bloody long road of recovery ahead.  I really hope the government see sense and put money where its needed to help the recovery efforts.  A lot of non covid related chronically ill people need help right now. 

33 minutes ago, Raining_again said:

I can't even imagine what you and all of his loved ones are going through, so terribly sad.   Puts a lot of things into perspective. 

Yeah it’s really been a strange time. Also the medical case seems to be changing a bit, it’s now not entirely clear if there was any underlying issue at all or whether it is something 100% attributable to the vaccine. Another friend seems to have a blood clot on their lung caused by it though luckily that one doesn’t seem to be too serious. I’m in no way anti-vaxx but it’s definitely making me think twice about rushing to get one. At least until there is some additional benefit to me I think I’m going to wait on it.

On 05/06/2021 at 9:11 AM, Will said:

Yeah it’s really been a strange time. Also the medical case seems to be changing a bit, it’s now not entirely clear if there was any underlying issue at all or whether it is something 100% attributable to the vaccine. Another friend seems to have a blood clot on their lung caused by it though luckily that one doesn’t seem to be too serious. I’m in no way anti-vaxx but it’s definitely making me think twice about rushing to get one. At least until there is some additional benefit to me I think I’m going to wait on it.

You have to do what is best for you.

My thoughts are with you on your loss, mate. I'm sorry to hear the news of your friends. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shocking news as it seems like the UK June 21st lockdown easing will be pushed back for a month.

Look at this image depicting how shocked I was!

1fpixa.jpg?a450840

Totally blindsided! Never saw it coming!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Glad they've stuck to their guns with the 21st of June is the earliest point to get rid of restrictions and extended it. If things suggest that we should wait a bit longer then I think that's exactly what we should do.

Edited by Happenstance

35 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Glad they've stuck to their guns with the 21st of June is the earliest point to get rid of restrictions and extended it. If things suggest that we should wait a bit longer then I think that's exactly what we should do.

Oh yeah, totally agree on that front. People will moan, but if it means we can avoid retreating back to a total lockdown again, then that's fine by me.

• Like 1

Wales' method of looking at how things are going every three weeks and removing restrictions bit by bit instead of a solid date for all restrictions ending seems to make much more sense.