NEurope
bob

COVID-19 (The artist formally known as Coronavirus)

I can totally understand why people might not be super keen to take it immediately. I’m absolutely pro vaccine but I’m not sure I’d be signing up to take any Covid vaccine early on, there is a big difference between something that is brand new with a very narrow distribution and something that’s been in use for years with millions of successful treatments.

Of course, I want to get back to normal more than I fear any vaccine, if I need to have it to travel or something I totally will.

Shit has hit the fan here in Germany.
30k new cases today. Average of 25k/day the last few weeks.

Another hard lockdown is inevitable.

"Thankfully", my family members and I already were affected by Covid-19, so for us 4 Christmas won't be a problem.

I will most likely put myself into isolation aside from that, though. Maybe celebrate New Year's Eve alone. With some video games, food and drinks :D

Well, I’ve just received the COVID vaccine and I haven’t turned into a radioactive spider yet; so I reckon things are looking pretty good!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

London and much of the southeast put into a new tier 4, plans to relax restrictions around Christmas have been called off or reduced across the entirety of England. I wish they would just make a decision and stick with it, it was glaringly obvious in March that Christmas wouldn't be able to proceed as normal but the Government kept insisting that they weren't going to be the administration that cancelled Christmas, refusing to look at the situation rationally and make the difficult decisions. 

Their attitude over the summer has made a terrible situation even worse, a month of eat out to help out nonsense throwing us into a second wave and piling pressure on an already over subscribed health service. All for the sake of propping up the beloved economy. 

It’s gonna basically be Tier 4 In Name Only.  Ain’t nobody gonna respect the decision.

Nobody followed the last lockdown; and now the Tories think that people are gonna respect them around Christmas!? No chance mate.

20 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It’s gonna basically be Tier 4 In Name Only.  Ain’t nobody gonna respect the decision.

Nobody followed the last lockdown; and now the Tories think that people are gonna respect them around Christmas!? No chance mate.

Plenty of people followed the last lockdown. Hence why infections fell over Nov/Dec and the R number went below 1. Since opening up again it's all gone tits up again.

Edited by Ronnie

I knew this would happen.

In November, where I was anyway, we all followed the rules to a T. Masks were worn when possible and when they weren't, a distance was kept. The only thing I saw nobody doing was the very thing that keeps infecting us: NOT SANITISING THEIR FUCKING HANDS! 

It just pisses me off so much. Like, my breathing has been far worse since the whole mask ordeal to the point I'm exempt. I wear it in short periods of times but can need a break and I constantly get "where is your mask?" and yet people are out here not washing their hands. When they ask me in a snotty manner, I always ask where their hand sanitiser is and so far, every single person has said "I use the shop's one at the entrance"...not all shops have them!

Honestly, I'm over this. It's depressing me to the point it's affected my mental health and I know it has done to others too. So I'm just going to focus on the good and focus on having a decent Christmas, playing my Switch, getting pissed and stuffing my face. I suggest everyone does the same otherwise you'll work yourselves up. 

Edited by Beast
  • Like 2

I feel sorry for those people who have had their hopes raised over the last few weeks over the possibility/likelihood of being able to see their family over Christmas, and have then had their hopes dashed by today's news. At the time, there were so many voices saying that this was a huge mistake, as we would be paying for those 5 or so days with a likely January + lockdown. Yet, I can completely understand why people would want to see their families, especially if they haven't had many opportunities to do so due to the events of this year. I've known work colleagues and friends who have had to make very difficult decisions over which family members they see or don't see with the previous bubble systems/rules, trying to do this sensitively to not upset people, but to also do it sensibly and in a safe way. It's the continuous change which I think people are struggling with, as the information seems to come out in a very last minute slap-dash sort of way. 

Imo, nothing has been as tight as it was during the initial lockdown. Everything was tighter, the rules were simple and the messaging was clearer. There was also much stronger unity because it seemed like this was something that had to be achieved together, with no exceptions. When the government started opening things up again (and then closing), the messaging has been confusing. We also have the other issue of the UK being comprised of multiple countries, so several different sets of rules. It has just been too confusing for people at a time where it can't afford to be. When it comes to health and keeping people safe, I'm afraid that the messaging has to be absolutely crystal clear so that everyone understands. 

I think we're likely to get the worst of both worlds now. The run-up to Christmas hasn't been as tight as it could have been. We should have gone into lockdown for sooner and for longer, and schools had the potential to close a week earlier. It also looks likely that we'll continue with restrictions into the new year, as several European countries are doing this or have said that they'll be doing this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really can’t quite believe what a mess the UK government have made of this. Add in the disastrous Brexit we seem to be heading for and it really doesn’t paint a rosy picture for the coming year. I hope we can get rid of the tories as soon as possible.

The restrictions here are being relaxed further on the 28th. Not much of a change but we’ll now be able to mix in groups of 8 up from the current max of 5. I was out on Friday and everything seems to be basically back to normal anyway. Hoping we’ll be able to travel within Asia pretty early next year and with a bit of luck back to the UK before the middle of the year.

6 hours ago, Beast said:

Like, my breathing has been far worse since the whole mask ordeal to the point I'm exempt. I wear it in short periods of times but can need a break

Have you tried some different masks? We’ve got some reusable ones that are made out of some sort of foam and you can barely tell you have it on in terms of breathing restrictions. Worth checking them out if the usual ones cause you issues.

• Thanks 1

I really can’t quite believe what a mess the UK government have made of this. Add in the disastrous Brexit we seem to be heading for and it really doesn’t paint a rosy picture for the coming year. I hope we can get rid of the tories as soon as possible.

The restrictions here are being relaxed further on the 28th. Not much of a change but we’ll now be able to mix in groups of 8 up from the current max of 5. I was out on Friday and everything seems to be basically back to normal anyway. Hoping we’ll be able to travel within Asia pretty early next year and with a bit of luck back to the UK before the middle of the year.

Have you tried some different masks? We’ve got some reusable ones that are made out of some sort of foam and you can barely tell you have it on in terms of breathing restrictions. Worth checking them out if the usual ones cause you issues.

The way to explain it is it doesn't happen straight away. I can go for about 30-45 minutes wearing it and then I start losing my breath. I take it off and go behind the protective shield at work and stay there for a bit and then go back out. I tend to keep my distance from people and regularly sanitise my hands anyway and when I have to go within 2m, I'll put it on but make it quick. If there's a shop full, I go behind the screen (it surrounds the till). If I notice anyone coughing excessively, I politely ask if it would be okay if they can come back another day due to vulnerable customers (it's happened twice and they've been totally fine).

So far, I've been okay. But then, apart from the issues I've had with masks, I've ALWAYS done this since Covid started anyway. I've sanitised and kept my distance and stayed away from anybody who coughed ridiculously. If anybody was ill pre-Covid, I did the same thing because I would always catch what they had and I was never ill. Only difference this time is that I can do it at work as well and not look strange, lmao.

7 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It's the continuous change which I think people are struggling with, as the information seems to come out in a very last minute slap-dash sort of way. 

This is the issue for me. Plans changing just causes me load of stress, not matter how small (like if I go to my fiancé's mum's and she says she'll be buying us all takeaway instead of cooking, I'll still be upset...even though it's a very minor change and means I'm getting a takeaway, which is a good thing). So for a big event like Christmas, it's really messing us up.

First it was going to be me and my sister's family visiting my mum. My mum and step dad are very cautious about social distancing and all that. My step dad bought a large chest freezer for bird flu many years ago. Before any changes were even announced, my mum decided to change plans. She was worried about being able to socially distance with so many people in the house, so my sister was still going to visit in the morning and my and my fiancé in the afternoon. Now, we aren't going at all. We were going to drop presents off at my sister's door on Christmas eve, but now we can't exactly get a bus for non-essential travel.

If they had just gone "we can't allow more than two households at Christmas" from the very start, I would have been fine about it. The 5 days thing seemed crazy (practically inviting many people to just have multiple "bubbles" even though they're not allowed, because who is keeping tabs on them?). Then the announce possibly changing the plans and go "OK, here are some mild changes, this is what is happening now"....and then they go "never mind, we're changing them again".

The worst thing is not knowing when the next change could be. They could turn around late Christmas eve and go "nobody is allowed to visit anyone".

It's just driving me a bit crazy.

It was a colossal mistake announcing such relaxed plans so early. The timing of the lockdowns were also a massive error. It should have been a national one when the welsh lockdown happened mid-November, and then another one for a few weeks in December, ending Christmas Eve for two or three days of slightly relaxed rules and then continue for two weeks. That was the only way of viably doing a Christmas with relaxed rules. Announce strict rules and then open up if it's viable. 

By announcing relaxed rules, and changing them so late, they've just created a situation where people have made plans and won't be changing them. Even most of the people who have been good with this rules throughout the entirety of the pandemic are starting to give up now. All because of the government's terrible handling of it. 

Also, announcing a "lockdown starts midnight" at 4PM is just stupid. People flooded to shops. The Range ended up closing half an hour late because there were so many people in the queue at closing time, scrambling to get Christmas presents because it's getting too close to Christmas to buy online and all the shops are closing tomorrow (that said, click and collect will be available at a lot of places, but that's not something people think about when plans suddenly change). 

got vaccine #1 today.   feel like absolute trash, every bone in my body hurts, my glands are massive, and my voice is gone.  (for context, anyone that doesn't know me, i've got complex health issues)

back again in another 22 days for the second. hopefully that's easier!   

I will certainly take what is a mild (for me) and only really slightly inconvenient reaction over getting the real deal :blank:

the whole Christmas thing is mad.  We have been "strongly advised" to make our plans one day rather than the original 4/5? but I only had plans to be with my mum dad and sister for like maybe 5h max. And we as a family are super careful.  Even when I'm "immune" I cant go round doing as i please anyway since i can still be a carrier to other vulnerable but less vulnerable than me peeps... (like my parents) so it'd be pretty scummy of me to have been yappin on about how vulnerable I am then behaving like a dick :blank:  (which i fear a lot of people will do once they know they are ok)

• Thanks 2

Going back to a semi shielding setup after christmas - government has advised CEVs to not go to work starting from 26th for (currently) 6 weeks.  Don't think I have to shield in place, obviously using caution - but I can go out for shopping.  (I FULLY intend to stay in as much as possible)

If my stupid bosses had authorised me WFH maybe i'd be able to actually do something constructive. fuckers

Edited by Raining_again

My fiancee is set to get the Pfizer vaccine later today. Sadly I probably won't be eligible for a vaccine until the tail end of next year, unless the combination of the Pfizer, Modern and Oxford/Astra-Zeneca vaccines speeds up the vaccination process.

Means I'll be living in a house with my partner and my sister in law and her partner, all three who'll have been vaccinated today and in 3 weeks time, until the end of January but it seems that neither my sister in law nor her partner are that bothered about following guidelines at the moment.

Been clearing out our flat for handing back keys tomorrow and staying with my sister in law while our new place gets renovated for the end of January and come back to the house to find the 3 of them plus another 2 of their work colleagues sitting without masks, heater on full pelt and no social distancing. Had a go at them for it and left the front door open because of how they were all sat but got laughed out of the room, told I could just stay in my own room and given the stink eye for even daring to say anything.

You'd think that given all 5 of them work in a care home with a severe neurodegenerative population of residents, where covid ran through the home and killed several of the residents and left some with lingering effects, that they'd understand full well what the guidelines are and to stick to them. Especially with Christmas having just passed where there will have been multiple households mixing for some of them (sister in law and her partner for instance are currently spending 2 nights at the home of the partner's mother who is very frail health wise).

Maybe I'm just overreacting, they do get tested weekly but given that they were last tested a week ago and Christmas has happened, as well as a new more virulent strain going about and the ability to be asymptomatic, they should know better given where they work and that other people around them won't be getting a vaccine any time soon.

Many, many swear words going through my head right now, especially after the stress of trying to get our flat emptied and stuff cleaned and into storage because of a nightmare neighbour downstairs. Sorry for the rant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 29/12/2020 at 11:44 AM, Ganepark32 said:

My fiancee is set to get the Pfizer vaccine later today. Sadly I probably won't be eligible for a vaccine until the tail end of next year, unless the combination of the Pfizer, Modern and Oxford/Astra-Zeneca vaccines speeds up the vaccination process.

Means I'll be living in a house with my partner and my sister in law and her partner, all three who'll have been vaccinated today and in 3 weeks time, until the end of January but it seems that neither my sister in law nor her partner are that bothered about following guidelines at the moment.

Been clearing out our flat for handing back keys tomorrow and staying with my sister in law while our new place gets renovated for the end of January and come back to the house to find the 3 of them plus another 2 of their work colleagues sitting without masks, heater on full pelt and no social distancing. Had a go at them for it and left the front door open because of how they were all sat but got laughed out of the room, told I could just stay in my own room and given the stink eye for even daring to say anything.

You'd think that given all 5 of them work in a care home with a severe neurodegenerative population of residents, where covid ran through the home and killed several of the residents and left some with lingering effects, that they'd understand full well what the guidelines are and to stick to them. Especially with Christmas having just passed where there will have been multiple households mixing for some of them (sister in law and her partner for instance are currently spending 2 nights at the home of the partner's mother who is very frail health wise).

Maybe I'm just overreacting, they do get tested weekly but given that they were last tested a week ago and Christmas has happened, as well as a new more virulent strain going about and the ability to be asymptomatic, they should know better given where they work and that other people around them won't be getting a vaccine any time soon.

Many, many swear words going through my head right now, especially after the stress of trying to get our flat emptied and stuff cleaned and into storage because of a nightmare neighbour downstairs. Sorry for the rant.

the bolded part - excuse meeeeeeee - thats negligence on a serious level. I'm sure the families of these people would LOVE to know this is going on!

Also negative tests mean fuck all now, you can have a negative test and be past the window for testing and ALSO you still have to maintain distancing etc even after being vaccinated as you can still catch and spread covid, especially with these mutations popping up

I'm honestly so fucking pissed off, and bet every penny i got that this is a regular occurance in most homes... and we wonder why its spreading like it is :blank:

That’s my county into tier 4 then. Not much will change for me as I only really go out for work and that’s at a school anyway. Only thing I’m really regretting is skipping a haircut this month. I had one booked for next week which I won’t be able to get now.

• Sad 1

I got mine cut about a week before Christmas, but it'll be about another 2 weeks before it needs it again. It just fluffs up out of nowhere. 

Quite impressive that Bournemouth went from tier 2 to tier 4. Should have just announced a total lockdown, kept it consistent across the country and then everyone would be clear on what the rules are. I don't think the tiered system has worked because it's been too complicated for the general public to keep up with the rule changes. It was much simpler when it applied to the country as a whole, plus it did have a sense of unity that all were in the same boat. The initial lockdown was successful but it all seems to have fallen apart since the Summer. The current rates are scary as fuck. I'm amazed that schools are open...it's also slightly hilarious that primary school children and staff seem to be invincible from Covid, according to this Government. Those primary kids who can't social distance, btw. It's all very messy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I got mine cut about a week before Christmas, but it'll be about another 2 weeks before it needs it again. It just fluffs up out of nowhere. 

Quite impressive that Bournemouth went from tier 2 to tier 4. Should have just announced a total lockdown, kept it consistent across the country and then everyone would be clear on what the rules are. I don't think the tiered system has worked because it's been too complicated for the general public to keep up with the rule changes. It was much simpler when it applied to the country as a whole, plus it did have a sense of unity that all were in the same boat. The initial lockdown was successful but it all seems to have fallen apart since the Summer. The current rates are scary as fuck. I'm amazed that schools are open...it's also slightly hilarious that primary school children and staff seem to be invincible from Covid, according to this Government. Those primary kids who can't social distance, btw. It's all very messy. 

I agree with this completely.  We had one incidence of this and no one knew who was in the restrictions and who wasnt. And then people that live/work near the boundaries between tiers got even more confused lol.

I also havent had a haircut, but i hadnt had one prob 2 years prior to covid anyway. I'd be so mad if i had short hair :blank:

12 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Purchased a hair trimmer during the first lockdown, although boy they were tough to find!

Yeah we went from tier 2 to tier 4, even though rates in our area weren’t anywhere near the same as those in surrounding boroughs. No complaints though, as much rather be cautious and the constant changing is tough to keep track of.

I still don’t fully understand the constant explanation that children are seemingly safer. While they may not be affected, I haven’t heard anything about them being less likely to get it and pass it on to their families. Or have I missed that part?  I also work as a sports coach and within my sport I’m constantly hearing people moan saying that children should be allowed to do it again since the school info suggests school children are so much safer. While I would love to be back coaching and I’m fully behind sport being beneficial to children and adults, I don’t understand that attitude and would much rather their families be safe.  I also have a responsibility to the other adult coaches at our club, and I don’t want them to be put at extra risk either.

I had wanted to shave my head for a while, so just ended up using a beard trimmer (it works fine, just takes a little longer than a dedicate hair trimmer might) at the start of the first lockdown, and have sort of maintained it since. I've been tempted between lockdowns to get a haircut, but I just didn't see the point in going out just for a haircut when I was doing an okay job myself of just shaving it every couple of weeks. I have a similar problem to @Fierce_LiNk in what I largely see referred to as "Asian hair": I need to grow it long, or cut it short (somewhere between a grade 0 and grade 3), otherwise it just puffs out in a way which disobeys gravity on the sides of my head, growing parallel to the ground. 

Though, I do miss having my hair a bit longer, and definitely miss conversations about Star Wars and the state of the world with my barber every couple of weeks! 

14 hours ago, WackerJr said:

I still don’t fully understand the constant explanation that children are seemingly safer. While they may not be affected, I haven’t heard anything about them being less likely to get it and pass it on to their families. Or have I missed that part?  I also work as a sports coach and within my sport I’m constantly hearing people moan saying that children should be allowed to do it again since the school info suggests school children are so much safer. While I would love to be back coaching and I’m fully behind sport being beneficial to children and adults, I don’t understand that attitude and would much rather their families be safe.  I also have a responsibility to the other adult coaches at our club, and I don’t want them to be put at extra risk either.

This is exactly where I've been at since before the first lockdown, and it's still doing my head in. At best, children - on average - might be in a better position to stave this thing off, but they are still just as likely to catch it, in the sense that they don't need to actually get COVID to pass it on, and are perhaps going to be even worse than adults in some regards. Because, again, on average, as they are meant to be in a better position to stay healthy throughout a bout of COVID than an adult, that just means there are even more asymptomatic carriers around.

It's dangerous, and, quite frankly, stupid. I think back to how many of my local shops I used to pop into on the way home from school, the size of groups I walked in, and even all of the interactions in school, too, and the people who thought they were above listening to teachers (and the likely greater number now who aren't keeping masks on, distancing, and cleaning their hands regularly while at school). 

And the issue with this is plain and simple, and I've mentioned it before. You're putting primary school and high school children in a position where they have very little say, might be very stressed out by the whole thing, aren't fully matured yet in their understanding of the world and how they can impact the lives of others, or even as informed of the COVID situation as they could be. Let's be honest here: even many adults aren't matured in such a way, or as informed about COVID as they could be. So there's this pressure on children to act like adults while still being treated like children

They shouldn't be at school right now, and that's been my opinion for the longest time; I don't even think they shouldn't have returned in September. Yes, I know how important it is being in a classroom and having shared experiences with others in (what should be) a safe environment, for personal development above all else, but why the hell is that coming above the safety and well-being of students and their friends/loved ones/local strangers they pass on the streets?

Education is absolutely hugely important (the importance of having a daily structure for these students can't be understated), but the time between the first lockdown and then returning in September was, in my opinion, ample time to come up with a foundation for students to be taught from home until the Christmas holidays. We all had the sense that this wouldn't be over by then(/now) at that point anyways, but it was a way of biding time, keeping kids educated, and above all, keeping people safe. Once it got to the second lockdown in November it would have then been very apparent that they should have just prepared for the rest of the academic year to be taught with children being stuck at home. Key workers could still have their children go to school, but those are insanely smaller numbers when compared with the size of an entire school going in. 

And it's not the teachers' faults, at all, at least from my understanding (maybe those more informed/teaching can correct me if anything I say is off beat here). From what I've read and heard, and even had my own former high school discuss with my own parents regarding my younger brother who is there now (and had to be pulled out at the start of the second lockdown due to being potentially vulnerable by my parents), js the lack of funding for schools during this outbreak has been egregious at best. There was a reason only the wealthier schools offered this, and it's because they had the funds to transition in such a way. Smaller, local schools? Not so much. 

They really need to get their acts together. I shouldn't need to be signing petitions every couple of months in an attempt to get something raised in parliament with the hopes of keeping my brother and others safe, because it's the only logical course of action to at least close schools during lockdowns. 

How can they be content pretending that they're blind to this? 

My understand on the kids thing is that they are, for the most part, like the vaccinated - they can still get covid, but their bodies are highly likely to be able to fight it off without becoming symptomatic, or die.  Vaccines don't stop virus spread, they just protect the vaccinated from dying - hence why herd immunity is so important for weakened individuals who can not or have not got vaccinated. 

But on the general assumption that kids don't get symptomatic w covid, they are much much less likely to spread it to people WHEN the rules are followed.  They're not sick, thereby not sneezing or coughing in your face, which reduces risk significantly.  But then those assumptions also assume that everyone is following rules, staying in, keeping a distance from family they dont live with, washing their damn hands, wearing masks in public etc.

I cant sit here and even say that theres one particular generation thats worse than any other - there are ignorant teenagers, all the way up to grandparents.  They think itll be alright and maybe 8 times out of 10 it will... but its too late for regrets when you hit unlucky and end up in a hospital bed.

I also agree w you @Julius (hi btw i dont think ive met you?) that key workers kids should be kept in school.

I'm like...damn ill be so glad when i get the vaccine.  but then i know i'll end up worrying about my sister (dental nurse - highest risk of transmission outside of icu) and my parents who are 65 and 59, with no health risks they are waaaay down the line to be vaccinated :angry:

Someone at my girlfriend's work has tested positive and my girlfriend is feeling ill (the main thing is she's feeling hot and cold, even though her actual temperature isn't changing much, and just a feeling of being weak). 

We're both self isolating while we await a home testing kit for her. 

I thought you were supposed to get a test if you live with someone who has symptoms but the person on the phone said I can only get one if I start showing symptoms.

Hopefully by Wednesday we'll know.  I'm quite impressed that we called yesterday and the test is arriving today.

On 03/01/2021 at 10:13 AM, Cube said:

I thought you were supposed to get a test if you live with someone who has symptoms but the person on the phone said I can only get one if I start showing symptoms.

Hopefully by Wednesday we'll know.  I'm quite impressed that we called yesterday and the test is arriving today.

Yes that was my understanding. I believe it’s because it could take up to 10 days for symptoms to appear.  So if you took a test on day one of her testing positive, you may return negative & yet symptoms may then appear the following day.  I’m no expert mind, but that’s my understanding of the reasoning.  It’s also why you would still have to self-isolate for those 10 days regardless.

Good luck with the results. I’ve had two tests previously & my wife has had one. Thankfully each one returned negative, and each time results came back about 36 hours later.  If you didn’t already know, then make sure to check your emails as well as texts, as we found the email arrive hours before the text.

I'M SO BOREDDDDD being at home by myself.  I can be in contact with people (it is not shielding as was previously) but im trying to reduce risk to as little as possible (i mean if i'm having a dander round the supermarket and visiting people i'm causing myself as much risk as being at work...)  I'm sure my heating bills will be through the roof... the gas peeps readjusted my bill to £17 a month last quarter, i doubt it gonna be that now lol :bouncy: It is the middle of winter, and its definitely a cold one this year.

week 1 of 6 weeks is done...  Looks like its not gonna change any time soon either.  Occupational health have said even having the vaccine is irrelevant to the CEV stay at home advice. no end in sighttt :( I am aware I have some level of privilege being paid to be at home, but i am also disabled and have been exposed to a UNREAL amount of ableism in 2020 so... i dont feel bad about complaining.

I suffer quite badly from migraines - was at one point having multiple per day :blank: but for the past few years its been *reasonably* stable, i'd maybe have 2/3 a month over the past few years.  I cant say for sure but since I had the biontech vaccine (a couple of weeks ago) i've had SIX migraines.  sigh