NEurope
bob

COVID-19 (The artist formally known as Coronavirus)

So I have an interesting question for you guys... Now that lockdown is being eased (arguably way too early; and against expert advice), will you guys actually go ahead and start visiting friends and family now? (Assuming that you weren't already disregarding the lockdown rules beforehand anyway).

Absolutely, my in laws will be visiting our garden next week. We have all been in our homes for months now, getting online shops and not coming into contact with anyone, so any risk here will be extremely low.
  • Thanks 1

On 29/05/2020 at 10:54 AM, will' said:

I would. To me, it's all about being as careful as you can be without letting it completely ruin your life. If I'm working at home, not going shopping as much and avoiding anywhere crowded then I've already massively reduced any contact I have with people. I'd rather see people and start getting back to normal than wait around even longer for some unknown point in the future that things may or may not happen. If not now then when do you start moving forward?

Been the same myself. Barely if even see  my mum and dad since but somewhat regularly see a friend(helps for shopping etc) and visit his household but I've basically just tried to think sensibly - how large are the circles of contact etc?

Also all those models of 'households' - what is the nature of a household of 1? The model and termage seems to imply 'household' always as a multiple occupancy as far as I tended to infer?

Sorry all you UK citizens, more good news from me :p

Official numbers for our town/region: 20 currently infected.

The decrease in numbers obviously slowed down, but the numbers are still going down. :)

Also: I got a haircut just now after 3 months of not being able to :D

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Apparently, there are reports from the WHO that transmission between people who are asymptomatic are very rare.

I can only hope that turns out to be accurate. I might be more comfortable about venturing outside then.

Edited by Glen-i

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Apparently, there are reports from the WHO that transmission between people who are asymptomatic are very rare.

I can only hope that turns out to be accurate. I might be more comfortable about venturing outside then.

Later clarified as "those that are asymptomatic throughout the time they have the virus" and not "those that have the virus but are not yet currently showing symptoms" if I'm understanding it correctly.

• Thanks 1

I think it would be better if there were high transmission rates between completely asymptomatic people with the virus. It would mean that many more people would have had it without any problems and we'd probably be much closer to the end of it than we are. Even so, just based on the numbers here in Singapore and the rate of infection here I'm not entirely convinced that will turn out to be true. Currently, in Singapore, 97.9% of active cases are classified as "Patients who are clinically well but still test positive for COVID-19" which is really quite positive on how bad this thing can be.

It will be very interesting to see the true spread of things once tests are more widely available.

I think it would be better if there were high transmission rates between completely asymptomatic people with the virus. It would mean that many more people would have had it without any problems and we'd probably be much closer to the end of it than we are. Even so, just based on the numbers here in Singapore and the rate of infection here I'm not entirely convinced that will turn out to be true. Currently, in Singapore, 97.9% of active cases are classified as "Patients who are clinically well but still test positive for COVID-19" which is really quite positive on how bad this thing can be.
It will be very interesting to see the true spread of things once tests are more widely available.
Unfortunately, that's unlikely. They've done antibody tests among small, representative populations here, and based on those they reckon that only 10% of people have had it.

Finally, after what seems like forever, they’re easing most of the lockdown measures here at the weekend. Big events and things like bars and clubs will still not be allowed but the majority of normal life looks like it’s finally going to restart.

Cannot wait to get out and feel normal again.

Edited by will'

Is it worth us all putting our heads together and creating our own vaccine? I’m starting to get a tad bored of all this now.

• Like 1

I don't trust any of you with my health to be quite frank. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

So did any of us end up getting the virus at all (that you know of anyway)?

I personally didn't but I know quite a few who did and most of them were effected pretty badly from it, which scared the daylights out of me. I also know some people who have had relatives die from it due to health complications.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

So did any of us end up getting the virus at all (that you know of anyway)?

Friend has had several relatives die. A friend of mine in Argentina currently has it. I know a few people who think they had it based on symptoms but were unable to get tested.

I had a fever and a cough in mid March, I think it was about 10 days before the official lock down started. So its possible I had it but I'll probably never know for sure.

I know of one elderly relative of a family friend that had it and died. Across a wide range of people in multiple different countries I don’t know a single person that even knows somebody that has had it.

I had a but of a cough, sore throat and slight flu back when it first started over here. It may have been Covid or it may have just been flu, not sure.

I’ve said it before but over here when they started mass testing there were 1000’s of cases that had no symptons but tested positive for it. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if way more people than we know about it have had it and recovered without realising.

A parent to another child in the day care had it (she's a nurse) a little while ago. So that's one I know of.

Also, my wife's a medical doctor and another doctor at the place she worked had it and died from it (63 years old, way too early, but he had some old leukemia that rose to the surface again). Then a few other doctors and nurses at the place she worked had it but never got any real symptoms and my wife was never infected.

So yeah, not many that I know of. Here in Denmark testing has been quite extensive for the past couple of months and they only found a few cases so it seems to have disappeared more or less as people have had attention to it so that's good. Now it's more likely to win in the national lottery than finding a person with an active CoVid-19 disease.

My brother-in-law had it (confirmed with a test), although he is a doctor. Meanwhile my sister, who lived with him while he was suffering through it, and is also a doctor who worked on a COVID ward, did not have it. Weird.

Also, my sister-in-law, her boyfriend and my mother-in-law all had the loss of taste and smell symptoms, so we all suspect they've had it.

I don't know anyone personally who has died from it, but my wife works at a school in Birmingham in a deprived area, and many of the students and staff have had loved ones die. She's having to have bereavement training because of it.

A friend's flatmate showed symptoms.
His parents and sister had it (tested positive) and he spent a few days with them while they were still asymptomatic. He got tested...negative.

Weird ::shrug:

Other than that...I don't know anyone who was tested positive or showed symptoms.

3 hours ago, will' said:

I know of one elderly relative of a family friend that had it and died. Across a wide range of people in multiple different countries I don’t know a single person that even knows somebody that has had it.

I don't see how those two sentences can co-exist unless there's a word missing or my brain is completely fried? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Ashley said:

I don't see how those two sentences can co-exist unless there's a word missing or my brain is completely fried? 

Haha, you are completely right, please see the corrected version below:

Across a wide range of people in multiple different countries I don’t know a single other person that even knows somebody that has had it.

42 minutes ago, will' said:

Haha, you are completely right, please see the corrected version below:

Across a wide range of people in multiple different countries I don’t know a single other person that even knows somebody that has had it.

Or maybe you were suggesting that none of us can really know ourselves.

298px-Prap.jpg

Social shielding potentially being paused as of 1 Aug in N.Ireland.  So i'll be going back to work (in theory). 

Don't know how i'm going to be able to wear a mask all day, I've had them on for 10/15 minutes at a time going out for absolute essentials, and its so hard on my body. (i have muscle weakness that affects my breathing).  I don't know if my work can safely have me in anyway, we haven't even got room to distance everyone in the office without me there. Adding another body wont make that easier.  They had a bright idea to cram us in like sardines when they moved us into the new outpatients centre,  (the staff floor is three people to a desk) and its now biting them in the ass. 

My sister is a dental nurse, their work is starting to take patients back in.  She is the lead nurse and having to manage everyone's clinical safety, dentistry is the highest non hospital risk area, I cant see her at all.  Shes really down and I just want to hug her at this point. Shes supposed to be getting married in September but don't think that'll be happening now.  Covid needs to do one already

10 minutes ago, Raining_again said:

i have muscle weakness that affects my breathing

Sorry to hear your trouble with face masks. Funnily enough I think I suffer from something similar even though I've never been diagnosed as that by doctors I've been to. 

Just now, Ronnie said:

Sorry to hear your trouble with face masks. Funnily enough I think I suffer from something similar even though I've never been diagnosed as that by doctors I've been to. 

I'm still being diagnosed but ENT has narrowed it down to auto immune related muscle weakness.  I've been like this for 2 years, still waiting on neuro and rhematology assessments.  covid has punched a hole in the waiting lists for outpatients appts, i was already waiting on a 3 year waiting list, which is now probably 6 years lol