NEurope
bob

COVID-19 (The artist formally known as Coronavirus)

It's the whole "Yeah, but it won't happen to me" ideology that some people live under.

I used to think like that.

When I was 5.

Or maybe, people are just scared. No one is enduring that sort of crowding to buy a Snickers and a Fanta. They're there to get something that they think they need. With all the panic and fear that's being served up on social media and in the news, is there any wonder some people are panicking? Panic buying stops when the panic stops, not because someone has called them idiots.

It's not the mass panic that bothers me, it's the self-righteousness and judgement coming from everywhere when they don't know the circumstances. A prime example is that I went to Halfords to buy a car bulb yesterday. It was a side bulb, so wasn't safety related at all. Now to the common observer, that's a pretty non-essential item and would be judged quite harshly. But I have an MOT tomorrow. No bulb=No pass. No pass=no car. No car=me not able to take food to my parents and nan (and possibly a fine for having a non-MOTed car parked on the road). Admittedly, I'm lucky enough to have access to another car, so it's not quite as essential as that, but it's still a prime example of how something that may at first appear trivial is in fact quite important in the right circumstances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Or maybe, people are just scared. No one is enduring that sort of crowding to buy a Snickers and a Fanta. They're there to get something that they think they need.

Not sure about that. When this all was starting I witnessed a guy at Sainsburys loading his trolley up with nigh on 20 bottles of Pepsi. Pepsi!? Crazy. 

23 minutes ago, Goafer said:

It's not the mass panic that bothers me, it's the self-righteousness and judgement coming from everywhere when they don't know the circumstances. A prime example is that I went to Halfords to buy a car bulb yesterday. It was a side bulb, so wasn't safety related at all. Now to the common observer, that's a pretty non-essential item and would be judged quite harshly. But I have an MOT tomorrow. No bulb=No pass. No pass=no car. No car=me not able to take food to my parents and nan (and possibly a fine for having a non-MOTed car parked on the road). Admittedly, I'm lucky enough to have access to another car, so it's not quite as essential as that, but it's still a prime example of how something that may at first appear trivial is in fact quite important in the right circumstances.

There will absolutely be examples such as this but the majority of what i've seen is a general attitude of people not caring and thinking that they can go about their lives as usual. Obviously people handle difficult scenarios in their own way but it's frustrating knowing that you are doing everything you can to keep your distance and carry out what has been instructed only to see things like large gatherings of people who seem happy enough to spread the thing around. 

It's going to be interesting to see how things play out if we do go in full lockdown mode. I'm not sure if Boris has the balls to lock the country down, even if I think it's the right thing to do.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Or maybe, people are just scared. No one is enduring that sort of crowding to buy a Snickers and a Fanta. They're there to get something that they think they need. With all the panic and fear that's being served up on social media and in the news, is there any wonder some people are panicking? Panic buying stops when the panic stops, not because someone has called them idiots.

The rest of the world manages to behave better than this. The U.K. is seriously sick. People only think about themselves. My mum works in a supermarket and people have been fighting, arguing and buying everything they can, the whole store is emptied every day. The whole world is scared, but where else do you scenes like this? America, maybe. Not many other places. Exactly the same with the situation in the pubs. The Prime Minister has constantly called for people to stay off the streets (which I actually respect, instead of using force) and a number of people have let themselves, and society, down. 

It's embarrassing. 

Germany is going into lockdown for (at least) two weeks.

While you're technically allowed to go outside (especially for work, grocery store, etc.) you can't do so in a group of two or more people (families/flatmates are an exception). You have to keep a distance of at least 1.5m. No parties/gatherings (even at home) allowed.

Not surprised by the decision. Hopefully some people here wake up and understand the gravity of the situation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

The Prime Minister has constantly called for people to stay off the streets (which I actually respect, instead of using force) and a number of people have let themselves, and society, down. 

This is why a proper lockdown will need to happen. He's given people the opportunity and freedom listen to the warnings but many have simply disregarded it. 

9 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

The rest of the world manages to behave better than this.

Like Germany's Corona parties? Like the people still going to spring break? I'm willing to bet that every country has had, and will continue to have its own issues.

Out of curiosity, can anyone here honestly say they've not bought something just in case you can't get it next time? Sure, buying an extra bag of dog food is different from 20 bottles of Pepsi, but it's still the same mentality and it all contributes to the shortages. That extra bag of dog food is one less for everyone else and is prioritising your future need over someone else's current need.

15 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

The rest of the world manages to behave better than this. The U.K. is seriously sick. People only think about themselves. My mum works in a supermarket and people have been fighting, arguing and buying everything they can, the whole store is emptied every day. The whole world is scared, but where else do you scenes like this? America, maybe. Not many other places. Exactly the same with the situation in the pubs. The Prime Minister has constantly called for people to stay off the streets (which I actually respect, instead of using force) and a number of people have let themselves, and society, down. 

It's embarrassing. 

Spain, France, Italy, Australia, Germany, US, South Korea all have similar examples I have seen. I don't think the rest of the world is this perfect place ;)

In Italy once panic subsided stock levels returned. and I think that is the key. Media focusing on shortages are doing their job but (and I include social media in this) when 1 shop is out of stock and you hear about it 10 times, it magnifies it that much. so it pushes people into a slight panic. then there are 2 shops out of stock. you hear about it 20 times. more people panic.. shop 3, and 4 run out of stock. You hear about it 50 times... more people panic and everywhere runs low. you hear about it 100 times... .. the shortages become endemic.

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is why a proper lockdown will need to happen. He's given people the opportunity and freedom listen to the warnings but many have simply disregarded it. 

It's a shame. The UK is supposed to be a beacon of liberty across the world and I genuinely appreciated Boris' attempts to not go in this direction. Unfortunately, people seem to have forgotten that liberty and freedom comes with responsibility.

I've been to the supermarket twice since the lock-down started. First time was two days after the announcement, the shelves were full, distance markers on the floors. Two days ago, the only thing I couldn't buy was onions. Not quieter or busier than usual. Hand sanitiser at the entrance, single use gloves for the trolleys and baskets. 

Now Waitrose, thousands of feral customers queuing up at opening, filling up trolleys with everything they can get their hands on, no-one respecting distancing regulations and no hand sanitiser at the entrance, it was all given to the NHS (lovely gesture, but what about people who work in supermarkets? Surely the NHS should have ample supply?) It has been like this for almost 10 days. 

So I asked my mum to quit her job yesterday. My dad has high blood pressure and diabetes, takes a ton of medication. If she gets it, he gets it, and then he's finished. Seeing the behaviour of people in the supermarkets makes me think it's inevitable. Like I said, people only give a shit about themselves and it's revolting.

1 minute ago, Goafer said:

Like Germany's Corona parties? Like the people still going to spring break? I'm willing to bet that every country has had, and will continue to have its own issues.

10 days of this. This isn't an isolated bunch of idiots. This is everyone. 

2 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Out of curiosity, can anyone here honestly say they've not bought something just in case you can't get it next time? 

I haven't bought anything I haven't needed for the following week or two. Maybe I've stocked up a little more than I would to cut down on trips (5 onions instead of 2, for example), but I'm not buying a month's supply of food. I'll pick a time when there'll likely be fewer people and buy what I need. 

13 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Out of curiosity, can anyone here honestly say they've not bought something just in case you can't get it next time?

I can, I haven't bought anymore than I usually do. Well, except for my weekly bottle of Vimto. I couldn't even find one.

That was almost a week ago now, I imagine it'll be even harder as time goes on.

3 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

10 days of this. This isn't an isolated bunch of idiots. This is everyone. 

I haven't bought anything I haven't needed for the following week or two. Maybe I've stocked up a little more than I would to cut down on trips (5 onions instead of 2, for example), but I'm not buying a month's supply of food. I'll pick a time when there'll likely be fewer people and buy what I need. 

Everyone? That's a hell of an assumption to make. I assume you're done the appropriate research to back that up. I've not seen any mad scenes at my local supermarkets, but maybe I'm mistaken. Sure, the shelves are pretty bare in places, but based on the photos I've seen of other countries (from people who actually live there btw), this is a worldwide problem.

No, you haven't bought a month's supply of food, but you've still stocked up more than you usually would. Again, obviously not as bad as some, but you've still contributed to shortages, albeit on a smaller scale.

I'm really not judging. I'm just using your actions to try and explain how these other people are feeling, but to a more extreme extent.

5 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Out of curiosity, can anyone here honestly say they've not bought something just in case you can't get it next time? Sure, buying an extra bag of dog food is different from 20 bottles of Pepsi, but it's still the same mentality and it all contributes to the shortages. That extra bag of dog food is one less for everyone else and is prioritising your future need over someone else's current need.

I've not bought anything out of the ordinary, just restocked my cupboards.

I like to have a buffer just in case I get ill (had a couple of times in my life when I couldn't leave the house because I was too ill, and its best to have food around in those instances!!)

I have bought items as alternatives because I couldn't source the food I needed, such as arborio rice instead of plain rice... and rich tea biscuits instead of bread.

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I can, I haven't bought anymore than I usually do. Well, except for my weekly bottle of Vimto. I couldn't even find one.

That was almost a week ago now, I imagine it'll be even harder as time goes on.

That's fair enough. I personally have bought an extra bag of dog food as the shelves have been barren the last few times I've been and we bought toilet roll slightly earlier than usual, but only bought a single 4 pack, rather than the 2 pack limit.

Other than that, we've just done our usual shop, making substitutions where necessary due to shortages.

Edited by Goafer

2 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

I've not bought anything out of the ordinary, just restocked my cupboards.

Pretty much the same. Kitchen cupboards are usually stacked anyway. There's a large Morrisons, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi all near where I live. Stock has been rough in a couple of them but Aldi seems to be spot on for getting the usual week's shopping. 

9 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Can you not get it in a can or does it have to be the bottled stuff?

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Can you not get it in a can or does it have to be the bottled stuff?

With a can, I have to drink the whole thing in a relatively short amount of time and I feel like it's a waste.

With a bottle, I can take a swig and save the rest for later. Normally lasts me the whole week.

2 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Everyone? That's a hell of an assumption to make. I assume you're done the appropriate research to back that up. I've not seen any mad scenes at my local supermarkets, but maybe I'm mistaken. Sure, the shelves are pretty bare in places, but based on the photos I've seen of other countries (from people who actually live there btw), this is a worldwide problem.

No, you haven't bought a month's supply of food, but you've still stocked up more than you usually would. Again, obviously not as bad as some, but you've still contributed to shortages, albeit on a smaller scale.

I'm really not judging. I'm just using your actions to try and explain how these other people are feeling, but to a more extreme extent.

I actually live in another country (btw), in a major city (btw) and there is nothing like there is in the U.K. 
My mum is on the "front line" as it were. I'm sure what she's saying: "everyone is pouring in and it never ends" is not just a few isolated idiots. If you want to get pedantic, let's say "a lot of people" are doing this, rather than everyone. Still doesn't change the fact that a lot of people are behaving like animals, without any consideration for anyone else. Stores selling more than at Christmas and New Year suggests that there are a LOT of people doing this. 

I usually go to the supermarket two or three times a week, so going once a week means I need to buy more. Hence, I stocked up more than I usually would, because going 3 times a week is not exactly ideal, for me or for others. The fewer people there, the better. Yet, our stores are fully stocked. Wonder why that is? Nothing in the news about panic buying except for the first day the lock-down was announced. I went two days later and it was fine. 

1 hour ago, Goafer said:

It's not the mass panic that bothers me, it's the self-righteousness and judgement coming from everywhere when they don't know the circumstances. 

Sorry for being self-righteous and judgemental, but what is going on in the U.K, collectively, is fucking insane, and is absolutely not being repeated on a similar scale across the globe.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

With a can, I have to drink the whole thing in a relatively short amount of time and I feel like it's a waste.

With a bottle, I can take a swig and save the rest for later. Normally lasts me the whole week.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

giphy.gif

Would if I could, and if I wasn't deathly afraid of needles.

I haven't brought anything extra, but that is partially because I've only done one shop and wasn't in the right mind to really figure it out. I'm going to try again tomorrow. Part of my problem is I'm used to doing lots of small shops but I'm hoping to try and get what I'll need for the next two weeks that I'm in this AirBnb. No point in going overboard with that anyway. 

I'd very much like to find some pasta though, that would be swell. 

32 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Sorry for being self-righteous and judgemental, but what is going on in the U.K, collectively, is fucking insane, and is absolutely not being repeated on a similar scale across the globe.

Have you seen the stores in Australia? I have family there and it looks worse than anything I have seen in the UK.

Just to be clear, what is going on here in the UK absolutely is being repeated across the "west". Africa, the Americas, Australasia and Western Europe all seeing a bunch of idiots screwing things up for the majority.

The places it seems to not be as huge an issue from what I can ascertain (and this is largely anecdotal and from my limited viewpoint) are east/south asian and post communist countries, where apparently there is less of a thing for individualism. So if you are in one of those countries, lucky you. If not, where abouts are you at the moment?

Edited by Pestneb

Whenever I get slightly hopeful, and think that maybe people will pull together to get us out of this mess, I remember that just two years ago, the British public were freaking out over the fact that KFC had run out of chicken. Someone even called 999 over it.

Edited by Dog-amoto
  • Like 1

There's going to be full on riots @Dog-amoto when those people realise that McDonald's has shut all its UK outlets. 

Similar to the rest of you I haven't seen any signs of panic first hand, the empty shelves in supermarkets the only noticeable change. People around here certainly don't seem to be sticking to the guidelines, the town centre was pretty dead now that most places are closed but there were enormous numbers of people going for walks and congregating in the park - much more than I normally see on a Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately I think the Government will have to bring in stricter regulations to ensure social distancing is adhered to, there are some people who just won't change their behaviour whilst its not enforced.

Mod Note:

Just a quick reminder guys - this IS for many a sensitive topic as many of us no doubt have friends family and loved ones out there at risk etc. Emotions can very quickly and easily run high with this all at stake and the struggles coming at us all.

Please try and keep it fairly civil in here; its a trying time for the entire world and its a time to (metaphorically; not physically :p) try and come together rather than not.

• Like 6

Working from home, kids not in school, but the big thing is that Ofsted cancelled their visit to our home to finalise my wife’s childminding registration... so now she can’t start work nor claim for loss of work because the registration wasn’t finalised.

We’re going to struggle during this period.

Self-isolating for two weeks because my mom started coughing pretty badly on Saturday morning, and it hasn't got much better. She's been working from home for the last week and we've only had one or two family friends pay a visit during that time, so me and my dad are the only ones who realistically might have brought in, after having gone out for work all of last week. 

All of this before my company gave me a laptop to work from home, so I'm in a weird middle ground at the moment. The job turned into a nightmare last week when probably only a quarter of my floor's staff were in working, and despite having 7 of the 10 members of our team out last week, no-one questioned our being there or thought to send us home. A lot of mortgage repayment holiday enquiries before we had time to act resulted in a two minute crash course in mortgages to at least give customers some sense of direction, and then the onslaught of personal lending products were a nightmare to deal with too. We only started acting when the government started talking about these things, for crying out loud! Meanwhile, other banks were ahead of the curb and had things in place to account for all of this.

It's annoying because we wouldn't have been under nearly as much stress and pressure last week if my company started rolling out laptops two weeks ago - everyone could be working safely from home and self-isolating. They just haven't taken this seriously from the start, and the company and my managers have lost a lot of mine and my team's respect over the course of the last month or so a result. 

Not sure what's going on with pay either. We have a great sick pay package, but due to poor health, myself and a few other members of my team are either very close to or over the threshold. Now, I think it refreshes in April, but they haven't said how we're going to deal with this all internally: does it impact attendance directly? Assuming we don't get sick leave in line with our package being used up, do we get the 80% figure that the government has been throwing around due to self-isolation? Or will we get statutory sick pay? 

Just too many questions, and far too few willing to answer them. It baffles me that a bank of this size can drop the ball so hard. 

/rant

• Confused 1