NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

Formula 1 2020 Season

F1 2020 Predictions Game Round 12 Results

If only all races were like the start of this one. Maximum points for this race were:

Pole - Hamilton (10)
Fastest Lap - Hamilton (10)
1st - Hamilton (25 + 5)
2nd - Bottas (18 + 5)
3rd - Verstappen (15 + 5)
4th - Lerclerc (12 + 5)
5th - Gasly (10 + 5)

The results for this round:

1. @BowserBasher - 68
  2. @Will - 53
  3. @Nicktendo - 35

And the overall standings (previous total in brackets):

1. @Will - 601 (548)
  2. @BowserBasher - 478 (410)
  3. @Mandalore - 241 (241)
  4. @Nicktendo - 161 (126)
  5. @bob - 155 (155)
  6. @Goron_3 - 113 (113)

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Predictions:

Pole - Bottas
FL - Hamilton
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Bottas
3rd - Russell
4th - Ricciardo
5th - Perez

Right so anothernew trackso could be fun

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Predictions:

Pole - Ham
FL - Hamilton
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Bottas
3rd - Verstappen 
4th - Ricciardo
5th - LeClerc

Pole: Bottas
P1: Bottas
P2: Hamilton
P3: Verstappen
P4: Perez
P5: Gasly
FL: Hamilton

Edited by Nicktendo

Interesting article on Autosport regarding Verstappen’s radio comments after his bump with Stroll.

For me, what little respect I might have had for him is not completely down to zero. He’s young enough that I can maybe get past the initial comments made in the heat of battle (though I don’t think anything like this should be people’s default and it’s pretty bad it is for him) but the fact that he outright refuses to apologize for it and calls it other peoples problem after the fact is unforgivable. It would have been so easy for him to just say he didn’t realize the wider context of his words and say that he’s deeply sorry for their use, but no, not for Max.

It also brings the whole F1 race as one initiative into question for me. How can you hold those vigils at the start of each race and then not call out a driver going directly against them using racist/ableist language in one of your official sessions? They either need to do something about it to show that this actually means something or else just drop the whole thing.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the situation?

Edited by Will

I think Verstappen is widely viewed as the most likely driver to challenge Hamiltons dominance, which probably deters F1 from any real action. What they are scared of I don't know, maybe stopping him racing would hinder his development as a driver and make any potential challenge less likely next season? putting a stigma on him so if red bull lose competitiveness the next rival to mercedes wouldn't want to take him on?

Even Hamilton acknowledges his dominance brings a certain boredom to F1, deep down I think even his most ardent fan would like to see things come closer to the end of the season than has been the case. If verstappen were to end up stuck in a red bull team that either quits F1 or just becomes uncompetitive, who is coming along to attack Hamilton? Leclerc is looking good but if he were in a red bull would he be getting as close to the mercedes as verstappen is... we just don't know.

As for mongol being an insult, I never heard that until I was in my 20's, and again in an obscure situation like this. I don't find it offensive when I hear it used as an insult, just weird... kinda like if he'd called him any other nationality (other than canadian). Think something ought to be done though, even a symbollic slap on the wrist would be better.

52 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

I think Verstappen is widely viewed as the most likely driver to challenge Hamiltons dominance, which probably deters F1 from any real action. What they are scared of I don't know, maybe stopping him racing would hinder his development as a driver and make any potential challenge less likely next season? putting a stigma on him so if red bull lose competitiveness the next rival to mercedes wouldn't want to take him on?

Even Hamilton acknowledges his dominance brings a certain boredom to F1, deep down I think even his most ardent fan would like to see things come closer to the end of the season than has been the case. If verstappen were to end up stuck in a red bull team that either quits F1 or just becomes uncompetitive, who is coming along to attack Hamilton? Leclerc is looking good but if he were in a red bull would he be getting as close to the mercedes as verstappen is... we just don't know.

As for mongol being an insult, I never heard that until I was in my 20's, and again in an obscure situation like this. I don't find it offensive when I hear it used as an insult, just weird... kinda like if he'd called him any other nationality (other than canadian). Think something ought to be done though, even a symbollic slap on the wrist would be better.

Mongol as an insult isn't really based on someone from Mongolia. It's more to do with 'mongoloid' being an outdated term to refer to someone with Down's Syndrome. So if you call someone a Mong, you are saying they have Downs. 

On 10/30/2020 at 12:48 PM, bob said:

Mongol as an insult isn't really based on someone from Mongolia. It's more to do with 'mongoloid' being an outdated term to refer to someone with Down's Syndrome. So if you call someone a Mong, you are saying they have Downs. 

I understand that, it's just not something I ever heard growing up, it is utterly void of meaning to me. I'm not saying it's fine to use it as an insult.

Having said that, I'm not sure individuals using "mong"and other such slurs against those with downs syndrome is exactly the worst thing happening to them considering the stance taken towards them by the state, in the UK at least.

Well that was a different race but still had some excitement. Shame for Max there but Lewis showed he is still number one. Yes he got a bit of luck with the VSC but i think he would have passed Bottas even without that. Bottas had some damage and was generally slower. 
Merc now 7 time champs too. 

On 11/1/2020 at 1:50 PM, BowserBasher said:

Well that was a different race but still had some excitement. Shame for Max there but Lewis showed he is still number one. Yes he got a bit of luck with the VSC but i think he would have passed Bottas even without that. Bottas had some damage and was generally slower. 
Merc now 7 time champs too. 

Even if Lewis won the race, I'd have preferred the vsc to have not helped him, ,aybe even to have worked against him (the incident that caused it happening just after he pitted for example!)  and also for vettel's car not to have gotten wedged under bottas' car so he could have put up more of a fight against Hamilton. considering the damage I think Bottas did very well

• Like 1

F1 2020 Predictions Game Round 13 Results

Mercedes win the constructors championship. Maximum points for this race were:

Pole - Bottas (10)
Fastest Lap - Hamilton (10)
1st - Hamilton (25 + 5)
2nd - Bottas (18 + 5)
3rd - Ricciardo (15 + 5)
4th - Kvyat (12 + 5)
5th - Leclerc (10 + 5)

1. @BowserBasher - 83
  2. @Will - 78
  3. @Nicktendo - 30

1. @Will - 679 (601)
  2. @BowserBasher - 561 (478)
  4. @Nicktendo - 191 (161)
  5. @bob - 155 (155)
  6. @Goron_3 - 113 (113)

Turkish Grand Prix Predictions:

Pole - Bottas
FL - Hamilton
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Verstappen
3rd - Bottas
4th - Ricciardo
5th - Stroll

On 31-10-2020 at 10:18 PM, Pestneb said:

I understand that, it's just not something I ever heard growing up, it is utterly void of meaning to me. I'm not saying it's fine to use it as an insult.

Having said that, I'm not sure individuals using "mong"and other such slurs against those with downs syndrome is exactly the worst thing happening to them considering the stance taken towards them by the state, in the UK at least.

Weighing in here as a Dutchie. Mongol (or in Dutch, mongool) is a very common used curse word for when someone does something stupid or reckless. Think of it as the Dutch equivalent of moron or asshole. Not saying that it's a good thing to say about someone, but I just wanted to clarify the word as it was quite funny reading a thorough analysis of a very typical Dutch curse word, and obviously Max's temper unleashed his inner Dutchie there for a bit.

4 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Weighing in here as a Dutchie. Mongol (or in Dutch, mongool) is a very common used curse word for when someone does something stupid or reckless. Think of it as the Dutch equivalent of moron or asshole. Not saying that it's a good thing to say about someone, but I just wanted to clarify the word as it was quite funny reading a thorough analysis of a very typical Dutch curse word, and obviously Max's temper unleashed his inner Dutchie there for a bit.

Yeah it was very common in the UK too, at least where I’m from back when I was growing up. It being common there doesn’t really excuse it’s use, especially in his position.

2 hours ago, Pestneb said:

Even if Lewis won the race, I'd have preferred the vsc to have not helped him, ,aybe even to have worked against him (the incident that caused it happening just after he pitted for example!)  and also for vettel's car not to have gotten wedged under bottas' car so he could have put up more of a fight against Hamilton. considering the damage I think Bottas did very well

Yeah I think Lewis had it won already, but the VSC certainly took away any chance of a bit of excitement for the lead.

I’m quite amazed that all these late European races didn’t result in anything a bit more interesting, thought we’d at least get one proper wet race this year.

turkey prediction

Pole - Ham
FL - Hamilton
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Bottas
3rd - Verstappen 
4th - Ricciardo
5th - LeClerc

right I’m going to go with the same again. I think it’s gonna be a very similar result. 

F1 2020 Predictions Game Round 14 Results

Lewis Hamilton, World Champion. Maximum points for this race were:

Pole - Stroll (10)
Fastest Lap - Norris (10)
1st - Hamilton (25 + 5)
2nd - Perez (18 + 5)
3rd - Vettel (15 + 5)
4th - Leclerc (12 + 5)
5th - Sainz (10 + 5)

1. @BowserBasher - 35
  2. @Will - 30

1. @Will - 709 (679)
  2. @BowserBasher - 596 (561)
  4. @Nicktendo - 191 (191)
  5. @bob - 155 (155)
  6. @Goron_3 - 113 (113)

Bahrain Grand Prix Predictions:

Pole - Hamilton
FL - Hamilton
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Bottas
3rd - Stroll
4th - Ricciardo
5th - Perez

Wow. What a race and congrats to Hamilton. 

Bahrain GP predictions 

Pole - Hamilton

FL - Verstappen

1st - Hamilton

2nd - Bottas

3rd - LeClerc

4th - Perez

5th - Stroll

I imagine the race will be pretty boring, the one good thing about this year has been going to all these more interesting tracks at weird times of the year and it’s lead to things being a lot more interesting than normal.

I am quite looking forward to seeing how next week’s race goes though, it will probably not lead to any decent racing but it’s at least a change.

I think they should just double up the circuits they attend. But.. I think they should limit drivers to only competing in half the races in a year. My thinking on this being they could then have effectively B teams, allowing more racers to experience F1 and mix things up a bit. it could also remove another schumacher/hamilton era, sure they may win most of the racers they race in, but then there would be the races they didn't race in. Also it could add in another level of tactics. For example, taking this season, Verstappen picks obv. the tracks that best suit him and his car, does hamilton do likewise, leaving many of the races for verstappen to win? how do teams pair up drivers, would it be their "A and B" combo like now, or A and C, B and D, or maybe A and D with B and C? I know teams say it takes a toll week in week out, but I think it would be interesting, they could maybe employ twice as many people, or have apprentices or w/e, I know that brings a cost but again, it could bring interest. I'm sure the teams wouldn't like it, but as a fan, you could follow 1/2 or 3 drivers, or watch every race according to your interest, and I think it could open the championship, Imagine for example if Hamilton and Verstappen never raced against each other. And maybe have a grande finale race where only the top two (in terms of championship points) drivers from each team could take part.

But I think I have drifted into the realms of fantasy here.

Not in the predicting game, but my prediction:

Hamilton

Bottas

Verstappen.

If the result is different (particularly with Hamilton not in the points at all) I will probably be happy :D (nothing against Hamilton just it's too boring seeing him 1st most races!!)

I really hope mercedes somehow manage to mess up big way next year some how!

What an accident right at the start, I was in complete shock when that Haas hit the barrier and it burst into flames. I was fearing the worst for Grosjean. The camera shot at turn 4 showing him emerge from the flames as he jumped over the barrier to the waiting safety Marshall was surreal, as well as seeing that the car actually got split in two from the impact, hence the explosion. It's a miracle he has only gotten slight burns and potentially a couple of broken ribs, shows that the safety measures in place have worked, even the halo might have saved his life.

Edited by Emerald Emblem
  • Like 1

Thank goodness Grosjean was alright! Although it seems like his aggressive defence against Kyvat was what caused the shunt.

Still, serious questions over Kyvat seeing as he wasn't just involved in that fiery incident... he also tipped Lance Stroll upside down! That's two reckless incidents in one race, normally Stroll getting flipped upside down would be considered something a race would be known for but on this occasion seeing a car burst into fire is something you don't really see much anymore. Wonder how much the desert atmosphere played a part in that? Or just the Haas car design.

Either way, a testament to modern F1 safety that Grosjean was able to survive a fiery crash like that. People critisied the Halo but I think it saved him on this occasion.

• Like 1

I don't think there was much that Kvyat could do in the Grosean incident.  Grosean just came so fast over to the right, and into him.  There was no predicting Grosean would do that.

Bahrain GP, lets go!

Pole: Hamilton
Fastest lap: Hamilton
1st: Hamilton
2nd-5th: Some other motherfucker

Got a good feeling about this week!

1 hour ago, bob said:

Bahrain GP, lets go!

Pole: Hamilton
Fastest lap: Hamilton
1st: Hamilton
2nd-5th: Some other motherfucker