NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

Formula 1 2020 Season

Next year will hopefully be better. And the fight for 3rd will be more interesting from now on. Shame the top two are already basically decided. 

So happy for Pierre, he was dealt such a shit hand by Red Bull but he’s a cracking driver. His GP2 title season was one of the best I’ve seen, amazing fight with Giovinazzi. I hope when he moves on from Alpha Tauri it’s not to Red Bull, they are locked in with Verstappen for years and that second seat is going to be poison for anyone.

He did so well under immense pressure today. One more lap and he may have lost it. Great restart, in that position on merit thanks to his early stop. No overtaking in the top 5 but it was so tense watching Sainz creep every closer. This is when F1 is at its best. I don’t need loads of overtakes to make a race interesting, but the top three were clearly pushing as hard as they could and it was fantastic to watch the gap get smaller and smaller. Top stuff. Fantastic race and I can’t wait for a new circuit next week. 

F1 2020 Predictions Game Round 8 Results

One of the weirdest races in years, a new winner and the first outside of the top three teams in years. Maximum points for this race were:

Pole - Hamilton (10)
Fastest Lap - Hamilton (10)
1st - Gasly (25 + 5)
2nd - Sainz (18 + 5)
3rd - Stroll (15 + 5)
4th - Norris (12 + 5)
5th - Bottas (10 + 5)

The results for this round:

1. @will' - 30
  2. @BowserBasher - 20

And the overall standings (previous total in brackets):

1. @will' - 376 (346)
  2. @Mandalore - 241 (241)
  3. @BowserBasher - 240 (220)
  4. @bob - 155 (155)
  5. @Nicktendo - 126 (126)
  6. @Goron_3 - 75 (75)

Toscana Grand Prix Predictions:

Pole - Hamilton
FL - Perez
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Bottas
3rd - Perez
4th - Albon
5th - Ocon

Absolutely mental race. Loved it. 

Preditions for next. 

Pole: Hamilton

FL: Hamilton

1st: Hamilton

2nd: Bottas

3rd: Verstappen

4th: Sainz

5th: Perez

17 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Next year will hopefully be better. And the fight for 3rd will be more interesting from now on. Shame the top two are already basically decided. 

I hope so, but as things stand I more and more expect next year to be total domination by Mercedes. At least behind them is close so on days where they mess up it could be anyone’s to win.

So happy for Pierre, he was dealt such a shit hand by Red Bull but he’s a cracking driver. His GP2 title season was one of the best I’ve seen, amazing fight with Giovinazzi. I hope when he moves on from Alpha Tauri it’s not to Red Bull, they are locked in with Verstappen for years and that second seat is going to be poison for anyone.

I totally agree with this. It was one of the few (maybe the only) races where I didn’t really care who won, but I’m definitely glad Gasly did. This year he’s like a totally different person and was putting in amazing drives even before this win. I could see him in a Renault in a few years time and if they’ve got their shit together by then could make for any amazing partnership.

He did so well under immense pressure today. One more lap and he may have lost it. Great restart, in that position on merit thanks to his early stop. No overtaking in the top 5 but it was so tense watching Sainz creep every closer. This is when F1 is at its best. I don’t need loads of overtakes to make a race interesting, but the top three were clearly pushing as hard as they could and it was fantastic to watch the gap get smaller and smaller. Top stuff. Fantastic race and I can’t wait for a new circuit next week. 

Absolutely! I was totally glued to the screen for the second half of the race, best stuff I’ve seen in ages.

That moment when you realise that Renault are ahead of Ferrari in the Constructor's Championship...

Great result for Gasly.

Well that was certainly a race and a half. May not as been as crazy as Monza but it was certainly great to watch. I hope they go back there again. 

Not too sure what to think on this week’s race. It threw up a few bits of decent action but it was quite processional outside of the restarts. Total madness after the first safety car, not really sure what any of those guys at the back were thinking and it really was quite amateur of them. Thought Bottas might finally have something over Lewis but seems not. 

F1 2020 Predictions Game Round 9 Results

Lots of stopping and starting, but it finished in the end. Maximum points for this race were:

Pole - Hamilton (10)
Fastest Lap - Hamilton (10)
1st - Hamilton (25 + 5)
2nd - Bottas (18 + 5)
3rd - Albon (15 + 5)
4th - Ricciardo (12 + 5)
5th - Perez (10 + 5)

1. @BowserBasher - 88
  2. @Will - 73

1. @will' - 449 (376)
  2. @BowserBasher - 328 (240)
  3. @Mandalore - 241 (241)
  4. @bob - 155 (155)
  6. @Goron_3 - 75 (75)

Russian Grand Prix Predictions:

Pole - Bottas
FL - Hamilton
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Bottas
3rd - Stroll
4th - Perez
5th - Verstappen

Russian Grand Prix Predictions:

Pole - Hamilton
FL - Hamilton
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Bottas
3rd - Albon 
4th - Stroll
5th - Verstappen

whilst Bottas is getting close on the poles, I still think Hamilton just pulls them out when needed. Unless something goes wrong with the starts 1 and 2 is set, bu the rest are certainly not easy to judge. 

Predictions for the race....

1. Max

2. Bottas

3. Ricciardo

I'm expecting fireworks at turn 1 tomorrow. Lewis will be starting on the tyre that he and Mercedes wanted to avoid...Will be interesting to see how the soft actually holds up.

On a different note, Mick Schumacher won in the F2 feature race and he's got a decent lead in the standings now. Fully expect him alongside Kimi at Alfa next year.

• Like 1

F1 2020 Predictions Game Round 10 Results

Sorry for the delay with this one. Maximum points for this race were:

Pole - Hamilton (10)
Fastest Lap - Bottas (10)
1st - Bottas (25 + 5)
2nd - Verstappen (18 + 5)
3rd - Hamiltion (15 + 5)
4th - Perez (12 + 5)
5th - Ricciardo (10 + 5)

1. @Will - 32
  2. @BowserBasher - 25
  3. @Goron_3 - 15

1. @Will - 481 (449)
  2. @BowserBasher - 353 (328)
  4. @bob - 155 (155)
  6. @Goron_3 - 90 (75)

Eifel Grand Prix Predictions:

Pole - Hamilton
FL - Albon
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Bottas
3rd - Ricciardo
4th - Perez
5th - Stroll

Edited by Will

Rights let’s get the random names going. 

Pole: Hamilton 

FL: Bottas

1st: Hamilton

2nd: Bottas

3rd: Verstappen

4th: Perez

5th: Ricciardo 

Honda are pulling out of F1 at the end of 2021.

Not surprising but it throws a real question mark over the future of the sport and teams like Red Bull. If they go down the customer team route, they aren't winning another title until 2026 at the earliest.

I really don’t understand what Honda are thinking with this. They’ve done all the hard work and gone through the growing pains to the point where they can win races, and they pull out just as they’re partnered with a team that can genuinely win championships in the next few years.

Such a wast of effort imo.

It definitely brings up an interesting problem for the Red Bull teams. Can’t imagine Renault will let them have an engine, they won’t want a Ferrari so where does that leave them? I can’t imagine Mercedes wanting (or needing) to supply them, so will they have to try and pull someone in?

I understand it's to do with the company moving away from internal combustion engines, so any investment would be 100% for F1 and the returns wouldn't justify the expense. It's a shame really, if the rule change allowed manufacturers to move more to use alternative engines, or if Red Bull were in a better position with a strong chance of winning (no.1 not best of the rest) Honda may have been interested in staying but as it is the company doesn't see benefit to stay.

• Like 1

Can't wait for the race today! With Bottas ahead of Lewis and two stops expected, we could end up having a bit of a strategic thriller. For the sake of an interesting championship, my predictions are:

1. Bottas

2. Max

3. Albon

If Albon gets a good launch he could be a real factor when it comes to strategy today.

Thread's gone quiet!

Shame Bottas wasn't able to complete the race, pretty much the killer blow for any chance he had, unless Lewis has shocking reliability issues for the remainder of the season! Encouraging he was able to hold his own for some of the race, be good if he can push a bit more next year and at least keep us guessing a little. And even the red bull, if albon/ver's team mate if that changes, gets close to him too and the car becomes able to compete with the mercedes.

Thing is when Lewis is in front of the race, it's race over.  When Bottas is in front, Lewis is going to be pushing him all the way, like he did last weekend, pressured Bottas into a mistake, overtook him, and that was practically Bottas' chance of any revival over.  Compounded by the MGU failure.

I'm a Lewis fan, and I know it's boring for some, but I love that he's breaking records, and taking them away from Schumacher.

• Like 1

Hamilton dominating everything has been boring as hell this season. It's just not interesting anymore. 

However, the midfield battles have been ten on ten for the entire season. I think this has been one of the best seasons in recent memory if you look at 3rd / 4th down. I really enjoyed seeing the cars banging round the Nurburgring this week, such a great track. 

4th in the Driver's Championship is wide open, so that's going to be great to watch in the final few races. 3rd in the WCC is likely to be the same. If I had to put money on it, I'd pump for Danny Ric, but I think Perez, Stroll and Norris are all in with a shout. Whoever gets it, it will be a great achievement. 

The little stories in the midfield have been mega interesting this year too. Ferrari's woes and Leclerc's total annihilation of Vettel has been something else. The redemption of Gasly, who is fast becoming my favourite driver. The poisoned chalice that is the second seat at Red Bull. Hulkenburg's adventures in the Racing Point. Ocon being nothing more than a passenger to Ricciardo, who I think he may be the best driver in the sport behind Lewis and Max, maybe tied with Leclerc. McLaren coming good and Norris being close to the front. Williams inching their way back closer towards the midfield and Russel continuing to prove his worth. Magnussen running 4th for so long at Hungary was excellent. I'm a huge fan of him and feel he's been dealt a shit hand in his career. He has the raw pace and I like his no-nonsense attitude. Will be sad if he's dropped for '21.

Fantastic season for the neutral bar the podium spots, but we've even had a couple of upsets there, so it's not completely doom and gloom at the front. 

• Like 1

F1 2020 Predictions Game Round 11 Results

Tracking updated, ready to update this super fast for the rest of the season! Maximum points for this race were:

Pole - Bottas (10)
Fastest Lap - Verstappen (10)
1st - Hamilton (25 + 5)
2nd - Verstappen (18 + 5)
3rd - Ricciardo (15 + 5)
4th - Perez (12 + 5)
5th - Sainz (10 + 5)

1. @Will - 67
  2. @BowserBasher - 57
  3. @Goron_3 - 23

1. @Will - 548 (481)
  2. @BowserBasher - 410 (353)
  4. @bob - 155 (155)
  6. @Goron_3 - 113 (90)

Portuguese Grand Prix Predictions:

Pole - Bottas
FL - Bottas
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Bottas
3rd - Ricciardo
4th - Norris
5th - Stroll

On 10/13/2020 at 7:00 PM, Pestneb said:

Shame Bottas wasn't able to complete the race, pretty much the killer blow for any chance he had, unless Lewis has shocking reliability issues for the remainder of the season!

I reckon the only thing that will stop Lewis at this point is COVID-19.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:00 PM, Pestneb said:

Encouraging he was able to hold his own for some of the race, be good if he can push a bit more next year and at least keep us guessing a little. And even the red bull, if albon/ver's team mate if that changes, gets close to him too and the car becomes able to compete with the mercedes

I doubt anyone will be near Mercedes next year, and I doubt Bottas will suddenly up his game. Would say it's a pretty safe bet Lewis will get his 8th title next year. Red Bull won't do anything until they can put someone decent in the second seat.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:10 PM, Londragon said:

I'm a Lewis fan, and I know it's boring for some, but I love that he's breaking records, and taking them away from Schumacher.

I totally hated Schumacher for many years, as a kid Damon Hill was my hero and I just could not let '94 go. Have to respect what he achieved, and I really thought those records would stand for a long time. I'm definitely not a fan of Lewis but his talent is unquestionable and the team is just something else. I'm glad he's the one taking the records as a lot of what he stands for in general is a very good thing to have associated with so much success.

On 10/13/2020 at 8:30 PM, Nicktendo said:

However, the midfield battles have been ten on ten for the entire season. I think this has been one of the best seasons in recent memory if you look at 3rd / 4th down. I really enjoyed seeing the cars banging round the Nurburgring this week, such a great track. 

I honestly can't think of a better one, maybe 2012 (I think?) where you had all those different winners in the opening half of the season? If they could just reign in that Mercedes a little bit F1 would be in a fantastic position right now. Hope they bring back Nurbergring on a more regular basis, definitely one of my favourite tracks.

• Like 1

Portuguese Grand Prix Predictions:

Pole - Hamilton
FL - Verstappen
1st - Hamilton
2nd - Bottas
3rd - Ricciardo
4th - Verstappen
5th - Stroll

Always forget to do predictions, so I'll do them this week.

Pole - HAM
1st - VER
2nd - HAM
3rd - BOT
4th - NOR
5th - PER
FL - HAM

Edited by Nicktendo

good first few laps.

I like Hamilton and don't mind him winning, just want it to not be a walk in the park. Bottas seems to be closing the gap on Hamilton,

I was thinking about mario kart earlier.. I'm sure we've all experienced it. the first few attempts we can see big improvements, but as I best results get better and better, the improvements become slower and slower, and we level off and the improvements stop coming as often.

Well I'm wondering if Hamilton is hitting a plateau, and Bottas is still climbing... I'm not saying Bottas will beat Hamilton regularly, but I'm hoping he will get good enough that there are genuine questions about whether it will be Bottas/Hamilton who do best in a given race. I am seeing signs, I don't believe Hamilton is playing games, I believe Bottas is genuinely improving, and I'm hopeful that next season he will make the championship a lot tougher on Hamilton, and equally a lot more fun for the spectators!

Less hopeful of Red bull next season, but again I hope there will be some credible competition in the constructors side of things too in 2022, maybe even a much more convincing and closer P2 in 2021 (though red bull need a strong no.2 and other competitors need to sort things out! not sure I'll pin hopes on ferrari too much, though this weekend looks more hopeful for their driver!)

Sign in to follow this