NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

Formula 1 2020 Season

49 minutes ago, gaggle64 said:

Sainz would be the most obvious choice, personally I'd also love to see Perez get something decent to work with. If Sainz goes Russell better get that McLaren seat or I'll riot. Can't see Vettel being anywhere else on the grid, he'd be well advised to get better work elsewhere (WEC maybe) that'll let him spend time with his family.

I'd forgotten about Perez but yeah, it would be great to see what he can do in a top car. For Russell, as long as any move was based on the Mercedes factor then McLaren is a decent spot for a year or two, just has to make sure it doesn't stop him moving to Mercedes when the time comes.

All things considered it's not too surprising that Vettel is leaving Ferrari. If you look at last season and how Ferrari's season went you can probably understand why Vettel doesn't feel comfortable in the team anymore.

Japan last year was just all of it coming to the boil.

Ricciardo going to McLaren!! 

Sainz confirmed at Ferrari too.

Where does that leave Seb? Renault, Mercedes or retirement?

Edited by Nicktendo

Not shocked by the moves but I am surprised by how quickly it's all been announced. So now I'm going to hold out hope for an Alonso drive at Renault.

42 minutes ago, londragon said:

Can’t see Mercedes taking Seb.

I don't think they would even consider him. Makes no sense now and even less in the future.

So we have the confirmed first eight races of the season:

3-5 July - Austrian Grand Prix (Red Bull Ring)
10-12 July - Steiermark Grand Prix (Red Bull Ring)
17-19 July - Hungarian Grand Prix (Hungaroring)
31 July-2 August - British Grand Prix (Silverstone)
7-9 August - 70th Anniversary Grand Prix (Silverstone)
14-16 August - Spanish Grand Prix
28-30 August - Belgian Grand Prix
4-6 September - Italian Grand Prix

Not too bad all things considered. Going to be quite a manic couple of months as they go through them all.

I do kind of wonder about the double races at the same track. Will we get essentially copies of the first Grand Prix at the second? I know there is talk of mixing things up with sprint races and reverse grids for the second races but seems they will not go through due to team disagreements.

Main thing is we'll have some racing very soon!

• Like 2

I can't even begin to describe how much I'm missing this sport being on TV!

Delighted that it's back next month and even happier that we're getting so many back to back races. Mercedes will be favourites but I think Max and Red Bull will surprise people this year. Lewis often starts the season a bit slow so two high altitude races at Austria followed by the tight and twisty Hungaroring could make them strong contenders, at least at the beginning of the year. Spain in August could also be interesting as it will be much hotter than it's ever been there.

I read a lot of German and Italian publications for F1 news and it looks like Baku and Singapore won't be happening, and COTA, Mexico and Brazil have huge question marks over them. As a result, FOM are looking at hosting two additional European races in September, with Mugello, Imola and Hockenheim all contenders. Either of the first two would be pretty special.

14 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I can't even begin to describe how much I'm missing this sport being on TV!

Delighted that it's back next month and even happier that we're getting so many back to back races. Mercedes will be favourites but I think Max and Red Bull will surprise people this year. Lewis often starts the season a bit slow so two high altitude races at Austria followed by the tight and twisty Hungaroring could make them strong contenders, at least at the beginning of the year. Spain in August could also be interesting as it will be much hotter than it's ever been there.

I read a lot of German and Italian publications for F1 news and it looks like Baku and Singapore won't be happening, and COTA, Mexico and Brazil have huge question marks over them. As a result, FOM are looking at hosting two additional European races in September, with Mugello, Imola and Hockenheim all contenders. Either of the first two would be pretty special.

Honestly I cannot wait for the season to start. 8 Races in 2 months is going to be amazing. 

I'd love Imola to have a race this year, even if it's a one-off. I do wonder if they'll stick to Europe and the Middle East this year, maybe with a fly out to Japan and China between them and use "money-saving" as an excuse. Does Mugello have a license for F1?

Edited by Nicktendo

I'm really looking forward to F1 coming back too, have really missed it these last few months.

51 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I think the street circuits are going to be pretty difficult. I know for Singapore they said if it can't be the planned weekend it can't happen at all. Given how the restrictions are here for Covid-19 I really doubt they will be ready to host something like the F1.

33 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

I'd love Imola to have a race this year, even if it's a one-off. I do wonder if they'll stick to Europe and the Middle East this year, maybe with a fly out to Japan and China between them and use "money-saving" as an excuse. Does Mugello have a license for F1?

Both Imola and Mugello are classified Grade 1 circuits so could be used for an F1 race. I'd love to see them throw in a few tracks we don't usually go to, would make for a really interesting season imo.

• Like 2

The new Williams looks great:

Just hope it goes a bit better than the last few years.

Given that we’re a week away from the start of the season are any of you guys up for a bit of a predictions game? Was thinking we could pick top 5 in each race + pole, fastest lap maybe some others then give points for each race? If a few people are interested I’ll put together a draft of how we could do it.

I'm so hyped for the new season. This is the longest I've gone in 26 years without watching an F1 race, the wait has been killing me, but I have enjoyed the classic races and some of the e-sports stuff on YT. 

1 hour ago, will' said:

The new Williams looks great:

Just hope it goes a bit better than the last few years.

Given that we’re a week away from the start of the season are any of you guys up for a bit of a predictions game? Was thinking we could pick top 5 in each race + pole, fastest lap maybe some others then give points for each race? If a few people are interested I’ll put together a draft of how we could do it.

Honestly, I preferred the ROKiT livery, or the Colgate livery as some people affectionately referred to it as :grin: This one is OK, better than others, but nothing particularly striking or special IMO. 

I'll be up for a predictions game! I'll predict Austria now and then the next 4 races if we should do it all before round 1. If not, we can do it on a week-by-week basis.

1) Verstappen
2) Leclerc
3) Hamilton
4) Perez
5) Bottas
Pole: Leclerc - FL: Verstappen.

I do think we might see a bit of a re-run of the last year, Mercedes have been slow in Austria in the past couple of years with their overheating problem and I think it would be great if Max and Charles came out fighting immediately. I still feel Lewis will win the WC and Mercedes will take the CC, but this track may add a bit of spice to the early standings. Here's hoping. 

56 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Honestly, I preferred the ROKiT livery, or the Colgate livery as some people affectionately referred to it as :grin: This one is OK, better than others, but nothing particularly striking or special IMO. 

That one was starting to grow on me but I much prefer this one.

56 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

I do think we might see a bit of a re-run of the last year, Mercedes have been slow in Austria in the past couple of years with their overheating problem and I think it would be great if Max and Charles came out fighting immediately. I still feel Lewis will win the WC and Mercedes will take the CC, but this track may add a bit of spice to the early standings. Here's hoping. 

Yeah I think you’re right. Ultimately I expect Hamilton to win the title but it would be great if someone else gets ahead at the start and he has to chase it down.

F1 2020 Predictions Game!!

So let’s give this a try with the announced eight races of the championship. To make your predictions go here: Predictions Game

Guide:

1. Select the Pole Sitter, Fastest Lap Driver and Top 5 Finishers for each race
  2. Select the Top Three in the Drivers and Constructors Championship
  3. Guess a few fun tie breakers

1. Correct Pole Sitter - 10 points
  2. Correct Fastest Lap Driver - 10 points
  3. Correct Top 5 driver selected - 5 points
  4. Correct Top 5 driver selected in correct position - points they score (as well as the 5 points originally earned)
    • Select the winner in the winners position and you’ll get 25 + 5 = 30 points
  5. Drivers championship predictions 1st: 50 points, 2nd: 30 points, 3rd: 15 points
  6. Constructors championship predictions 1st: 50 points, 2nd: 30 points, 3rd: 15 points
  7. Tie breaker questions - 20 points for the correct answer, 10 points for the closest answer
    • These will count to the total scores regardless of whether the others are a tie

If there is any feedback let me know and I’ll clarify or tweak the rules.

• Like 1

Something I didn’t expect at all:

_113142724_mercedes_f1.jpg

New black livery for the Mercedes in support of BLM and a commitment to make the team more diverse in the future.

Looks pretty cool!

• Like 1

Almost time for the first session! Can’t wait to finally see some action on track. I expect a lot of people will get out there and do a lot of laps to get back into the swing of things.

Finally. I feel like I’ve been waiting for that forever. Almost teary eyed at the F1 music intro. 

:cry:

Well I hope the other teams were running very different programs. That Mercedes looks effortlessly fast from the practice sessions.

Unless Mercedes have reliability issues, looks like they're going to walk this championship. 

9 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Unless Mercedes have reliability issues, looks like they're going to walk this championship. 

I think you might be right on that one. They seem so far ahead right now I could see them winning every race.

Hamilton has had a 3 place grid drop after Red Bull appealed against his fastest lap being done under yellow flags after new evidence surfaced showing a yellow light flashing on his on board camera. Right call in that case, it certainly boosts Max's chance at snatching the win here.

Edited by Emerald Emblem
  • Like 1

What doesn’t make sense to me is why they didn’t have that information when they made the first ruling. I’m not sure why they wouldn’t just delete the time rather than keep it and give a grid penalty though. Got to make this a great chance for Bottas to take the win.

• Like 1

Hamilton has had a 3 place grid drop after Red Bull appealed against his fastest lap being done under yellow flags after new evidence surfaced showing a yellow light flashing on his on board camera. Right call in that case, it certainly boosts Max's chance at snatching the win here.

That’s a bit harsh. Sure in the past they just deleted the lap time and used the other one??

4 minutes ago, londragon said:

That’s a bit harsh. Sure in the past they just deleted the lap time and used the other one??

That lap time was deleted, there was no other time to use. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this