NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Super Mario Maker 2 challenge - June challenge has started!

Votes

A Seriously Spiky Situation [4] Dcubed / Glen-i / Vileplume2000 / londragon 
Spike's Very Own Level! [1] Sméagol
Spike's Silly Prickly Puzzles [0]
A Spike up the Butt!  [0]
The SPIKE castle [0]
Spike's Spectaculair House of Fu [1] Redshell
Don't drink Spiked drinks! [0]

We're missing a vote from Morgan, and there could be potential player votes, but it looks like we have a clear winner. 

• Like 1

Tried every level.

ReadShell's level gets my vote. Consistent mechanics and generally just a joy to play.

Glen-I's was very enjoyable, as well.

londragon's son's level didn't really use Spikes :p  (sorry, @londragon, I've mistaken your son's level with yours)

The other's weren't fun, sorry...either because you can't see what's going to happen or can't manipulate Spike's mechanics consistently. They are difficult for the wrong reasons. Call me a quitter but I can't play through levels like these.

Also: It would be great if the first post of this thread was updated with the current codes. It was a bit annoying to sift through the thread and find codes. And since Nintendo is inept at making good menus to find levels even when you follow creators it would be cool to have a list of codes readily available :D 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, drahkon said:

Tried every level.

ReadShell's level gets my vote. Consistent mechanics and generally just a joy to play.

Glen-I's was very enjoyable, as well.

londragon's level didn't really use Spikes :p 

The other's weren't fun, sorry...either because you can't see what's going to happen or can't manipulate Spike's mechanics consistently. They are difficult for the wrong reasons. Call me a quitter but I can't play through levels like these.

Also: It would be great if the first post of this thread was updated with the current codes. It was a bit annoying to sift through the thread and find codes. And since Nintendo is inept at making good menus to find levels even when you follow creators it would be cool to have a list of codes readily available :D 

The OP was updated with a link to the post with the current challenge.. Which has all the codes. ;).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

The OP was updated with a link to the post with the current challenge.. Which has all the codes. ;).

Well, now I feel stupid and I'm embarrassed. :D 

• Like 1

Would be cool if you could add more specifics for the other levels though. That's helpful for us level creators. Anyway, hope to see you join in next month!

58 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Would be cool if you could add more specifics for the other levels though. That's helpful for us level creators.

For yours, more checkpoints would've been great. I know it's a puzzle level and they have slower pace, but I don't like having to go through the same puzzles again when I make a mistake during a new puzzle/room. That's a personal preference, but it kind of ruins your level for me. 

For Dcubed's level it's the vertical section. It's too finicky to set up properly. 

The problem with Vileplume2000's level is that vertical scrolling is quite slow and you can't see what's coming more often than not.

Anyway, hope to see you join in next month!

I'll probably take part. Will have to buy a stylus, though, as creating levels without it is a nightmare...

Edited by drahkon

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

For yours, more checkpoints would've been great. I know it's a puzzle level and they have slower pace, but I don't like having to go through the same puzzles again when I make a mistake during a new puzzle/room. That's a personal preference, but it kind of ruins your level for me. 

For Dcubed's level it's the vertical section. It's too finicky to set up properly. 

The problem with Vileplume2000's level is that vertical scrolling is quite slow and you can't see what's coming more often than not.

Ah ok. Can't help you with the checkpoints, you can only use 2, and only one in each area. I really wish you could add more.

For Vileplume's level: to progress it's mostly actually only the one Spike to the right that's a threat. Time your jump over his ball, kill him if you will, stay on top of the snake, and get off as soon as you can reach the pipe, because that's as long as you need to stay on the snake.

17 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

you can only use 2

Didn't know that. So much for me creating puzzle levels ::shrug: 

17 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

For Vileplume's level: to progress it's mostly actually only the one Spike to the right that's a threat. Time your jump over his ball, kill him if you will, stay on top of the snake, and get off as soon as you can reach the pipe, because that's as long as you need to stay on the snake.

Oh, I've beaten it. But only because after a few tries I knew what's coming. It's just the fact that at first you can't really see what's above and once you do you get shat on with spikes with very little time to react. 

Edit: Also just realized that I played londragon's son's level :D Brb after trying @londragon's creation. :p 
Edit²: londragon's level needs more variation. And the section with the clera pipes can easily be cheesed with walljumps :D 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

I've had my fill now. 

My vote goes to @Glen-i, just. @RedShell's was a close second.

Overall, some really cool levels. I finished five out of the seven. I enjoyed most of the gimmicks, particularly Glen's P-block maze, absolutely superb, feels so good when you nail it, excellent timing and spacing of those things.

Redshell's bounce the spike ball on the trampolines was excellent, great job. 

Dennis's level was tough, but fun to run through a couple of times.

Lee's and Morgan's levels were both good. Sorry, Lee, but Morgan has you beat on this one. His was a little more challenging and a little less frustrating, I liked that it had a bit of variety mixed in with some tough wall-jumping. Your level would be good to speed-run, but I don't have the energy now.

The other two levels were good as well. D-Cubed's was great until the on/off vertical bit. Absolutely no patience for that, especially when there is no set rhythm (one spike per screen, for example). The fact that there are multiple means you have to keep an eye on all of them, and on the jumps. Too difficult and not fun after 10 miserable and failed attempts

Smeagol, I got to the spike boss on your stage. It took me ages to figure out the bit before that and get it right. There are some good jumps and some good puzzles in this level, but as always, I have no energy to go through enormous sections to get back to the point where I died again, and again, and again. Having to spend time to get back to the bit you can't do just isn't fun for me. I spent an hour on it, got as far as I could. 0.25% completion rate sounds about right. Too many hard sections, punishment too heavy for messing up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@RedShell, it's almost time! Can you post the theme some time tomorrow evening? I'll post the new challenge on Saturday!

Also, not sure if I mentioned this before, but @Dcubed liking Spikes on a Slope was hilarious. It probably frustrated a few extra players in endless rotation..

• Thanks 1

On 02/04/2020 at 10:44 PM, Sméagol said:

@RedShell, it's almost time! Can you post the theme some time tomorrow evening? I'll post the new challenge on Saturday!

Ok, theme will be autoscrolling.

Not those type of stages where Mario moves without the player doing anything :hehe:, just that the level itself must scroll automatically.

Can use any of the different speeds and custom scrolling too, but the entire level must autoscroll, so if you plan to include a subarea that also has to use it.

No other restrictions.

:peace:

• Like 2

Ok, theme will be autoscrolling.
Not those type of stages where Mario moves without the player doing anything :hehe:, just that the level itself must scroll automatically.
Can use any of the different speeds and custom scrolling too, but the entire level must autoscroll, so if you plan to include a subarea that also has to use it.
No other restrictions.

Does this mean last day of submission is next Sunday? Basically, we have a week from now to get our entries in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, londragon said:

Does this mean last day of submission is next Sunday? Basically, we have a week from now to get our entries in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure. @Sméagol, what’s the plan?

Yup. I'll go make the official post later tonight (I literally just got up), but it's the same as the last 2.

You can start the challenge right now, which is to make a level that autoscrolls, with no further restrictions. Deadline will be Sunday evening next week.

@RedShell

How do you feel about scroll stop shenanigans?

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

How do you feel about scroll stop shenanigans?

Ah that’s a good point! Ok, let’s limit that to 1 instance per area, so 2 per level max if using a sub area.

• Thanks 1

April challenge: Autoscroll!
It's Corona season April, time for the April Mario Maker challenge!

The theme
The theme for this month is to make a level that autoscrolls! You can use any speed you like, as well as the custom autoscroll, as long as it scrolls automatically. And this applies to any sub-areas as well. There are no further requirements for this theme, so you can use anything you want. For those who want to use scroll stopping features: you can have one scroll stopping wall per area, so 2 max.

The deadline
The deadline has passed, and was on Sunday 12th of April (That's Bunny day in Animal Crossing).

The entries

• Magikoopa's Molten Madness (darksnowman) ID: F9K-CN5-3VG
  • Autoscroll Antics (RedShell) ID: 784-4ND-5MF
  • TLOZ: The Scrolls of Time (Sméagol) ID: WGG-6VS-2HG
Spoiler

The votes

Magikoopa's Molten Madness [0]
Autoscroll Antics [3] Sméagol / Dcubed / darksnowman
TLOZ: The Scrolls of Time [3] RedShell / Vileplume2000 / Nicktendo

The next challenge will start on the 2nd of May.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Oh and shout out to @LazyBoy. If you don't feel like making a level yourself, at least you will have some levels to play next week!

6 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Oh and shout out to @LazyBoy. If you don't feel like making a level yourself, at least you will have some levels to play next week!

I actually opened it up and started to build something, but honest to God I had no idea where to even start. Do you have a process or a method or anything like that?

I actually had a hard time coming up with something special, so I just cobbled something up instead. Good news for the players.. it means it's a short one. I'll be uploading it this afternoon after a bit more playtesting.

Who's in this? I know we have at least one surprise entry..

I've had a bit of a busy week.  Been unable to get any time on Mario Maker, :cry:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, londragon said:

I've had a bit of a busy week.  Been unable to get any time on Mario Maker, :cry:

Well at least you can torture yourself on my level. :p

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I actually had a hard time coming up with something special, so I just cobbled something up instead. Good news for the players.. it means it's a short one. I'll be uploading it this afternoon after a bit more playtesting.

Who's in this? I know we have at least one surprise entry..

Same here, but that was always going to be the case this time, thanks to Animal Crossing. 

Anyway, I’ll get whatever it is I end up with uploaded by this evening. :hehe: 

• Like 2

April 2020 submission:

Magikoopa's Molten Madness
F9K-CN5-3VG

When I read the theme is autoscroll it immediately sprung to mind that I recently saw a level in Endless that was an autoscroll with a Bowser chase, so I was thinking of putting something along those lines in at the end of this one. However, Animal Crossing and all that... 

The level is not supposed to be cheap, however having Magikoopas brings with it a certain random element, so maybe you'll score a copter mushroom and be grand, or maybe you'll have to dodge fire bars and giant boos. Good luck with this ascent into madness. 

(Just before uploading a mistakenly hit "undo" and I have no idea what I undid. Oops.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ok, here’s mine:

@Sméagol, I tried to add a bit more challenge to this one because you’re always complaining that my levels are easy. :grin: So yeah, if anyone finds it too difficult, you know who to blame. :heh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Ok, here’s mine:

@Sméagol, I tried to add a bit more challenge to this one because you’re always complaining that my levels are easy. :grin: So yeah, if anyone finds it too difficult, you know who to blame. :heh:

Not always.. I remember that one level with 3 routes, and the ridiculously impossible red route. You never said if you actually completed it through that route yourself..

I'll go finish up mine now.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this