NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Super Mario Maker 2 challenge - June challenge has started!

Just one more thing for clarification (and to put something on top of the spam :shakehead).

I assume you don't have anything against their snow variants?

I also assume you do have something against levels featuring only their projectiles?

And.. How do you feel about Kuribo shoes? I can't spawn them without the Goomba, but the game treats them as powerups.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Just one more thing for clarification (and to put something on top of the spam :shakehead).

I assume you don't have anything against their snow variants?

I also assume you do have something against levels featuring only their projectiles?

And.. How do you feel about Kuribo shoes? I can't spawn them without the Goomba, but the game treats them as powerups.

Snow variant is fine. Spike balls by themselves are OK, but should not be more prominent then Spike himself. and no Kuribos Shoe, I don't want any other enemies showing up. Mario Party 10's 2nd best character deserves all the spotlight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well there goes that idea. Spikes on a slope it is!

(What if I cheat by killing the Goomba offscreen? No? Aw.)

Edited by Sméagol

Good, I’ll mention this on the podcast, too. And look forward to my son making a level for this, too. Double-revenge Sméagol, no returns, .

• Weird 1

March challenge: Spikes!
It's March almost March! Time for the almost March Mario Maker challenge!

The theme
The theme this month is Spike! The levels will have to feature the enemy Spike! Not the spiky block things, those are officially called "Spike traps". Furthermore, your levels can only feature Spike, no other enemies are allowed. The snow variants are fine, as is using their projectiles on their own, as long as Spike himself features prominently.

The entries

• A Seriously Spiky Situation (RedShell) ID: J3F-RSG-PCG
  • Spike's Very Own Level! (Glen-i) ID: 8FN-389-KWF
  • Spike's Silly Prickly Puzzles (DCubed) ID: XM4-8SX-1GG
  • A Spike up Butt! (londragon) ID: BXP-0GW-RQG
  • The SPIKE castle (londragon's son Morgan) ID: 2LX-FDG-KRG
  • Spike's Spectaculair House of Fu (Sméagol) ID: JYJ-J30-NJF
  • Don't drink Spiked drinks! (Vileplume2000) ID: DWV-HBF-TKG

Spoiler

The votes

A Seriously Spiky Situation [5] Dcubed / Glen-i / Vileplume2000 / londragon / Drahkon
Spike's Very Own Level! [1] Sméagol
Spike's Silly Prickly Puzzles [0]
A Spike up the Butt!  [0]
The SPIKE castle [0]
Spike's Spectaculair House of Fu [1] Redshell
Don't drink Spiked drinks! [0]

The deadline
The deadline has passed, and it's time to vote for one of the 7 levels!

Next challenge will be 4th of April.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

@Glen-i, maybe it's fun to come up with a specific name for the challenge. For now it's just "March challenge: Spikes!" Maybe "March challenge: It's Spike!" Or "March challenge: Respect the Spike!" or "March challenge: All your base are belong to Spike!" or, well you get the idea. :p

[mention=16048]Glen-i[/mention], maybe it's fun to come up with a specific name for the challenge. For now it's just "March challenge: Spikes!" Maybe "March challenge: It's Spike!" Or "March challenge: Respect the Spike!" or "March challenge: All your base are belong to Spike!" or, well you get the idea. :p

March Challenge: A Spike Up The Arse!
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, londragon said:

March Challenge: A Spike Up The Arse!

Is that the feeling you're son will be going for with his level? :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, londragon said:

Get ready, emoji123.png.

So he's not trying to win I take it? :p

• Haha 1

Good stuff.  Spike is a lot of fun to play around with.  I’m sure that I can come up with an epic masterpiece with it...

Watch this space...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

I don't know why I was faffing around with shoes. Drybones shells are ok I'm guessing, @Glen-i?

As long as it's just the shell, then yes. Same goes for Buzzy Beetle and Spiny Helmets.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sméagol said:

The theme
The theme this month is Spike! The levels will have to feature the enemy Spike! Not the spiky block things, those are officially called "Spike traps". Furthermore, your levels can only feature Spike, no other enemies are allowed. The snow variants are fine, as is using their projectiles on their own, as long as Spike himself features prominently.

So we can use anything from the Terrain, Items and Gizmos palette, but only Spike from the Enemies one? Sounds like a fun challenge, I shall give it a go. :) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RedShell said:

So we can use anything from the Terrain, Items and Gizmos palette, but only Spike from the Enemies one? Sounds like a fun challenge, I shall give it a go. :) 

Pretty much, apart from the Dry Bone Shell and the shell helmets Mario can wear, you can use those.

And no Kuribos Shoe if you use one of the NES styles.

• Thanks 1

Especially as we seem to have more participants, we may have to agree on certain things I was thinking about.

I've mentioned before I personally wasn't against multiple entries. Though in case it wasn't clear, "Spikes on a slope" wasn't a serious entry. :p But go ahead and play it. I'll delete it later, but will keep it online long enough for @londragon's son to suffer. :p

But last time I also preferred having people upload their levels around the same time. For 2 reasons, one for the surprise factor, so all levels get played with the same fresh perspective, it may be different if you compare levels which you may have played days apart. Earlier levels have more opportunity to be analyzed and replayed. It could affect judgment both for better and for worse I suspect. The other reason is people may steal your ideas! :D The latter may not be an issue to people, but I think the first reason could be. But as I prefer not to have too many hard rules..

Which also leads to something in a similar vein to multiple entries: do we allow revisions? If we allow early uploads, people have more time to get criticism, and edit the level accordingly. I feel that goes against the spirit, so I personally don't want to allow it.

So yeah, I've been thinking about those things, and I want to hear what you guys think.

• Multiple entries? Yes / No / No preference
  • Early uploads? Yes / No / No preference
  • Revisions? Yes / No / No preference

So personally I have no preference regarding multiple entries, I'm inclined to say no to early uploads (Saturday at its earliest), though it's not a strong preference, and prefer not to allow revisions (at least until after the challenge obviously).

• Multiple entries? No preference
  • Early uploads? No
  • Revisions? No

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I've been thinking about those things, and I want to hear what you guys think.

I’d vote No to all of those, although revisions should definitely be a Yes after the challenge ends.

• Thanks 1

I’d say no to all of them. One try each, upload it on Saturday or Sunday, and no revisions while the competition is under way.
  • Thanks 1

Yep, I agree with Non everything as well. Especially on the early uploads. I feel it made my decision a lot fairer when I played each of the levels in quick succession and they were all fresh in my mind.

Of course, once the challenge results are in, editing is fine by me.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Likewise, gonna be a Nfrom me on all counts dawg.  Ideally, we’d all aim for the same window of time for uploading as well; will make things more fun I reckon.

Of course, once the contest is over, go ahead and make whatever changes you want to make :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

All right, that's clear, I'll update the OP later.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woops, I didn't really look at the rules so I already uploaded my level haha. Thought upload was this weekend and play until the next one.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Woops, I didn't really look at the rules so I already uploaded my level haha. Thought upload was this weekend and play until the next one.

It wasn't clearly stated before this morning, although I brought the same point up last time. To be safe you can just delete your level, this doesn't delete the clear state, so it's just a matter of re-uploading next time.

But having one week to create your level was clear from the beginning! :p

Sign in to follow this